Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

hell, we all know the story about Led Zeppelin and the red snapper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
These should be modded into the fallout 4 ambient tracks. Fantastic stuff :thumbsup:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Conelrad, I'm dying to know since I first heard it, but, what is that sound byte at the start of Samantha Smith?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

HardDisk posted:

Conelrad, I'm dying to know since I first heard it, but, what is that sound byte at the start of Samantha Smith?
It's from a speech by the girl the song is named for.

EDIT: Or maybe it was an interview, I don't remember where that specific quote came from.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

drat. I never bothered to Google due to the genericness of the name. :blush:

Farm Crisis Zero
May 31, 2002

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Oh man I loved your stuff when I was younger and just discovering ambient music. I'm really happy that you are still putting out stuff.

Just started listening this latest album, and I can say that I loved pipe dream already.

Also, I wonder if your music goes well with programming, but I guess I'm going to find out tomorrow.

These should be modded into the fallout 4 ambient tracks. Fantastic stuff :thumbsup:

A lot of people have said to me that my stuff is really good to have on when they're doing ~creative~ things like writing or drawing, and I'd put programming very firmly in that category. I used to listen to Autechre a lot when writing during my Ph.D. and stuff, and I'm glad to be the guy on the other side of that equation nowadays.

And yeah one of the things that I find difficult when vanity searching is that there is a popular mod for Fallout 3 called Conelrad which puts in lots of Atomic Era music :mad:. But yeah I'd love to do the score for something like that. I've done a couple video game soundtracks (one not out yet) but it was much more conventional stuff.

HardDisk posted:

Yeah as Tendai pointed out it's Samantha Smith, the girl who wrote a letter to Yuri Andropov in the early 80s because she was scared there was gonna be a nuclear war (not unreasonably). The sample is from an interview with her on some TV show but I can't seem to find the video of it now.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Farm Crisis Zero posted:

Yeah as Tendai pointed out it's Samantha Smith, the girl who wrote a letter to Yuri Andropov in the early 80s because she was scared there was gonna be a nuclear war (not unreasonably). The sample is from an interview with her on some TV show but I can't seem to find the video of it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?9TgCEvWa16Y

Farm Crisis Zero
May 31, 2002

nah it's not that one. the interviewer was way more like, stern, like he had no idea how to talk to kids. I actually cannot for the life of me remember which show it was on

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Oh hey! A new conelrad album! I'm glad I looked at GBS today. I kinda figured you were done after automatic landings.

Farm Crisis Zero
May 31, 2002

Klyith posted:

Oh hey! A new conelrad album! I'm glad I looked at GBS today. I kinda figured you were done after automatic landings.

Thanks man, and nope, not going anywhere. I'll probably be doing this stuff forever; I just keep making new music whenever I get the chance.

I think one of the problems I have is that kind of a lot of people do listen to my stuff, and people are always popping up saying "oh hey that's you!" when I mention to people that I make music under the name of conelrad. But I've never found a good way to connect with everyone who listens to my stuff. So the result is that people assume I'm not doing it any more. As much as I hate this fact, the most successful attempt so far to corral conelrad listeners into one place so I can keep them abreast of developments is the conelrad facebook page. But I'm trying to figure out a better way.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

to wear compliant trousers

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Oh wow, I was wondering what you were up to! I've never failed to like anything you've put out, and Community Shelter Planning is still very special to me. Buying even as I type, you deserve real money for all of your work.

Farm Crisis Zero posted:

nah it's not that one. the interviewer was way more like, stern, like he had no idea how to talk to kids. I actually cannot for the life of me remember which show it was on

ABC Nightline, starting here. It still gives me chills.

Rattus Amicus
Mar 8, 2007

Thanks again for this new stuff, still listen to Function Creep and Sure is the risk made regularily. Best Goon music ever!

Farm Crisis Zero
May 31, 2002

Coucho Marx posted:

Oh wow, I was wondering what you were up to! I've never failed to like anything you've put out, and Community Shelter Planning is still very special to me. Buying even as I type, you deserve real money for all of your work.

Ah, thanks very much, I really appreciate it. :) I will never make huge mega :10bux: from putting out my music (or break even on the time spent lol) but the odd tip is very nice to get. Glad you like it enough to put down some cash.

quote:

ABC Nightline, starting here. It still gives me chills.

Hell yes, thank you!

Rattus Amicus posted:

Thanks again for this new stuff, still listen to Function Creep and Sure is the risk made regularily. Best Goon music ever!

Awesome. :cheers:

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Oh poo poo, this is the first time I've missed a new release of Conelrad for over two weeks.

Only about halfway through so far, but Toward Compliant Towers is totally living up to my usual high expectations for your work. Conelrad has gotten me through many long hours of work-related drudgery and is still my go-to when I need something that won't distract me yet remains interesting enough to actually keep me awake and engaged. So basically, the perfect sort of ambient/drone music.

It also helps that your album names and song titles forever tickle my Cold War turbonerdery. loving cheers, dude. I'd buy you a beer but I'll settle for just buying the album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Crisis Zero
May 31, 2002

TerminalBlue posted:

Oh poo poo, this is the first time I've missed a new release of Conelrad for over two weeks.

Yeah I do get the sense that there are quite a few people who listen to my stuff but don't necessarily know when I'm putting out something new!

quote:

Only about halfway through so far, but Toward Compliant Towers is totally living up to my usual high expectations for your work. Conelrad has gotten me through many long hours of work-related drudgery and is still my go-to when I need something that won't distract me yet remains interesting enough to actually keep me awake and engaged. So basically, the perfect sort of ambient/drone music.

It also helps that your album names and song titles forever tickle my Cold War turbonerdery. loving cheers, dude. I'd buy you a beer but I'll settle for just buying the album.

Thanks man, much appreciated, and I'm really glad you like it. Share that poo poo far and wide. :cheers:

• Locked thread