Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
um
im gay
youre gay
You're right, liberals are dumb
I studied English in college
View Results

• Locked thread
Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Milk Malk posted:

we would celebrate real accomplishments, like my freshman year roommate who traveled to 80 different countries across the world before his 18th birthday.
I agree being born to rich parents is a great accomplishment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I wonder why he wasted his father's money when he knew he had a cushy job awaiting him at his dad's office anyway.
Actually I think traveling a lot is great fun.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
^^^e;f,b^^^

What should be the goal of college admission criteria?

- maximize total utility in whatever way
- detect those who will, right now, be the most successful at college
- detect those who would, if everyone had had the same environment growing up, be the most successful
- detect those who will, right now, be the most successful at college, and also make up for past injustices
- detect those who would, if everyone had had the same environment growing up, be the most successful, and also make up for past injustices

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I wasn't talking about the roommate, traveling is always cool.

I was talking about Mr. "I don't want to brag, but I went to Harvard :smug:" who posted the anecdote.
Then that was a total non sequitur to my post, the one you actually replied to.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

Those are a useful set of statements- would you be willing to modify your post by putting letters to them? They might thus help us distinguish what different testing and admission elements do or do not do.
I'd be vary of that, because I wouldn't dare defending any of them as sensible, and I can imagine a bunch of others!

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, but what do you think should be the goals?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What should be the goal of college admission criteria?

1. maximize total utility in whatever way
2. detect those who will, right now, be the most successful at college
3. detect those who would, if everyone had had the same environment growing up, be the most successful
4. detect those who will, right now, be the most successful at college, and also make up for past injustices
5. detect those who would, if everyone had had the same environment growing up, be the most successful, and also make up for past injustices
6. minimize the lot of whoever is going to be worst off (Rawlsian solution)
7. maximize profits of the university
8. ?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

blowfish posted:

Everyone should have a shot at college
Why? Or rather, what do you mean by that?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

blowfish posted:

Everyone should have a realistic opportunity to apply for college and succeed in their studies. ... your parents' wealth or your skin colour don't predetermine whether you will.
These are separate claims. True, the second implies the first, but not vice versa.

Really, everyone?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Effectronica posted:

Why not? Should universities simply be an annex of corporations?
What should universities be?

See http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743911&pagenumber=4&perpage=40#post450858574

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

blowfish posted:

The academic means to reproduction.
I think this may conflict with your earlier answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Typo posted:

This might be unironically pretty true since the true benefits of university is networking with other people who are going to be in your industry
Somehow, everyone interprets the question "what do you think universities should be?" as "what's your (cynical) take on the actual social function of universities?".

• Locked thread