Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
um
im gay
youre gay
You're right, liberals are dumb
I studied English in college
View Results

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
The problem for me with getting rid of test scores is that grades are so inflated in the vast majority of high schools that they're not very useful for most selective colleges once you filter out the obviously unqualified applicants. I think more essays are good, especially when you're able to interview all your applicants, but I don't think it's feasible everywhere. The article in the OP talks about looking at "community engagement and entrepreneurship," but that strikes me as even more class driven than test scores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah, I guess you can check it against letters of recommendation to see if writing level/content is plausible, but there's no doubt that essay cheating is rampant.

edit: SAT prep gained me like a 150 points, though some of that might have just been from having more familiarity with the test.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 28, 2015

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

OneEightHundred posted:

I'm not sure how you can bypass the "class-driven" problem in the first place as long as class disparities affect college preparedness, especially via badly-underfunded school districts. Why focus on admissions standards when there are blatant problems at the primary/secondary level like, say, funding public schools with local tax revenues, de-facto segregation via district line fuckery, and the public school system in the US being pretty crap in general?

That's a good point and I sort of thought of it when writing my post, but I guess because that's clearly the aim of the college here. They're are explicitly trying to correct for that, so the question becomes, what's the best way to do that? In this case, dropping the SAT requirement increased persons of color and first generation students, but it's also a very small, selective liberal arts college, so it's not clear how relevant it is for other schools.

And to be honest, it goes far beyond schools. Lots of evidence that teacher/school quality is fairly marginal in outcomes outside of the extremes and thedifferences go back really to economic disparity.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Also I don't even know that those outcomes (increasing diversity, more first generation students) can even be linked to dropping SAT/ACT scores given that the same people who dropped the scores were also trying to create those outcomes.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

blowfish posted:

The question is - is your goal to make sure the ethnic composition of college graduates reflects that of the whole society, or to have only people with the greatest potential (i.e. to at least an extent those who started college already more capable and knowledgeable than their peers) to produce the most qualified graduates?

I think it's hard to believe that schools can't do both. Measuring potential is noisy, it's not like we can rank order people in terms of their potential, so the average selective college has enough high quality applicants that they can easily select for intelligence/potential/whatever, while also looking at diversity.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

logosanatic posted:

His freshman year is low key. No hard classes. They still give him like 30mins of homework that includes coloring something. So if possible id like to have him do some of the busy work of scholarships as soon as possible. Rather than when hes taking a ton of AP classes

So if i have him take the sat sometime this year and he gets his first report card with grades would that be enough to start or will they take it as insult. They want to see several years of grades?

This isn't the right thread for this, but there is absolutely no reason your son has to be studying calculus or taking the SAT as a freshman, unless you think he's a genius who is smart enough to just skip high school altogether. Maybe have him take the PSAT during his sophomore year, but otherwise, I promise you, the best solution is calm down a bit. The kind of colleges that will give him a full ride are going to care far more about how well-rounded and interesting he is than if he bombed the SAT as a freshman (which they will probably see).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

Legacies only really matter for people with names like "Bush".

Or at prep schools, which serve as feeder schools into the ivies.

• Locked thread