Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

If anyone hasn't, look up some clips of it. If the stuff they've released to promote the show is their best material, than I will be surprised if it makes it through its first season

The pilot is up on Hulu, and it's worse than you can imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

PassTheRemote posted:

The show has a loyal,but small fanbase. They know it will follow the show so they keep trying other shows , but those shows can't get to gain an audience.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/fox-2015-16-season-ratings-38075/

It was hit pretty hard last year ratings wise, at least when they renewed for the two more seasons it was in the 3+ mil viewership area.

That said, my bet is the long term payment on digital streaming platforms is the easy money keeping this show moving. They can sell those seasons for a long, long time.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Iron Crowned posted:

Is it worse than Mulaney?

Is it worse than finding out Dan Mintz was a writer on Mulaney?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PassTheRemote posted:

I never watched it :shrug:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Looking at the 2016-2017 Fall Network Schedule thread it looks like Fox only has local programming at t 9:30. This could be a case that if Football delays/takes over the start of Bobs Burgers at 7:30 they just shift everything/play Bobs Burgers in the 9:30 slot instead.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

BexGu posted:

Looking at the 2016-2017 Fall Network Schedule thread it looks like Fox only has local programming at t 9:30. This could be a case that if Football delays/takes over the start of Bobs Burgers at 7:30 they just shift everything/play Bobs Burgers in the 9:30 slot instead.

Bob's Burgers is more family friendly, especially compared to Family Guy so it kind of makes sense for them to keep them at an earlier time slot rather than permanently putting them at 9:30.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

BexGu posted:

Looking at the 2016-2017 Fall Network Schedule thread it looks like Fox only has local programming at t 9:30.
Is that a first for this season? I remember that Mulaney debuted at 9:30. That makes it not as bad.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PassTheRemote posted:

You know who else is funny elsewhere but sucked on Mulaney? John Mulaney.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Iron Crowned posted:

It makes me feel bad for Tim Meadows, I want to like him, but all of his best stuff is as B characters in B Movies.

At least he'll be Mike the Mailman.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Y-Hat posted:

Allen Gregory was a comedy with an unlikable main character that never got to see any negative consequences of being a piece of poo poo. This was by design. It's a bar set so low that even Son of Zorn, as bad as it apparently is, can clear with ease.

Allen Gregory also had a lot of rape in it. They didn't even try to make the rape into a joke, it's just there for no real reason.

It's an amazingly unpleasant show.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wait, what? I don't remember the rape aspect of Allen Gregory, unless you're talking about the 2 gay dads thing where one was clearly not gay but forced into it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's telling that the least bad episode of Allen Gregory was the last one aired, the one where his mom comes back and mercilessly talks poo poo about him to his face. The unlikable main character on a sitcom is an old trope that has a long track record of success, but the key is to make sure they regularly get knocked down a peg. To my knowledge, Allen Gregory and Girls are the only comedy shows that don't follow that formula and they're infuriating to watch because of it.

PicklePants posted:

It makes me feel bad for Tim Meadows
Funny, my friend said that about Son of Zorn too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
AG is like someone's bad internet bragposts put to animation.

In contrast, Bojack Horseman. Which has a douche as the main, but kind of lets you sympathize with his situation.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Gotta give Allen Gregory some credit: we're still talking about it, five years after its mercifully short run came to an abrupt end.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ballz posted:

Gotta give Allen Gregory some credit: we're still talking about it, five years after its mercifully short run came to an abrupt end.
We're the exceptions and not the rule. Most people have forgotten about if, if they were aware of it at all.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I only brought it up because it scared me so much. It was embarrassing seeing people on Twitter being all "Oh ya!, Allen Gregory doesn't take no poo poo!". He took no poo poo beacuse he couldn't understand why everyone hated him, and assumed that it was something wrong with them and not him.

It best used as a "how not to make an unlikable protagonist".

Even if Bobs Burgers never gains high ratings, it at least has enshrined Tina as an icon to awkward girls everywhere.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Ballz posted:

I don't remember it at all. I think my Fox animation low point was "Sit Down, Shut Up". How did such a talented group of people manage to make something so painfully terrible?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I only brought it up because it scared me so much. It was embarrassing seeing people on Twitter being all "Oh ya!, Allen Gregory doesn't take no poo poo!". He took no poo poo beacuse he couldn't understand why everyone hated him, and assumed that it was something wrong with them and not him.

It best used as a "how not to make an unlikable protagonist".

Even if Bobs Burgers never gains high ratings, it at least has enshrined Tina as an icon to awkward girls everywhere.
One of the most cringeworthy things Jonah Hill said when he was promoting Allen Gregory was when he bragged about how he loves Eastbound and Down and listed Kenny Powers as an inspiration for his animated little poo poo avatar. I don't think he gets the entire point of Kenny Powers, or Sterling Archer, or the gang on Seinfeld and Always Sunny, or the many, many other unlikable protagonists that have been done right.

Love of Tina transcends gender. A lot of people can relate to her weirdness on some level.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

EricFate posted:

I don't remember it at all. I think my Fox animation low point was "Sit Down, Shut Up". How did such a talented group of people manage to make something so painfully terrible?
They aired The Goode Family for awhile which was pretty awful

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought that was ABC?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

EricFate posted:

I forgot about that show, but I remember at the time everyone was saying "no, give it a chance... Arrested development!".

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My favorite hellishly bad primetime animated series was Father of the Pride.

Dreamworks Face here was a lion in Siegfried & Roy's stage act, which means the show was promptly, mercifully cancelled after "the incident."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

My favorite hellishly bad primetime animated series was Father of the Pride.

Dreamworks Face here was a lion in Siegfried & Roy's stage act, which means the show was promptly, mercifully cancelled after "the incident."

On a Simpsons commentary, one of the writers talks about meeting S&R and they said "We want to make a show, like the Simpsons, but softer". What?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

On a Simpsons commentary, one of the writers talks about meeting S&R and they said "We want to make a show, like the Simpsons, but softer". What?

Do you remember which episode? I want to hear that.

PSA, btw: You can listen to the commentary tracks on the FX simpsons site

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought that was Comedy Central's show. We could have gotten another season of Beavis and Butthead instead of that poo poo. :(

twistedmentat posted:

Maybe they meant "The Simpsons, but less cynical?" I'm on a classic Simpsons kick and while it's great, it's also ridiculously cynical about society. That's one of the reasons why I hesitate to compare Bob's Burgers to that era of the show, since its attitude is far more cheery. Also because it's not quite as good, though it's definitely closer than most that have tried to capture that magic.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The Goode Family was ABC.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

dovetaile posted:

The Goode Family was ABC.
Agreed, it was A Bad Cartoon.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Only two days!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
TBS picked up syndication and their promo is pretty funny.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I can't wait for Sunday, I love me some Bob!

I know the answer is no, but has anyone said anything about the soundtrack release lately? I need me some Boyz 4 Now.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

TBS picked up syndication and their promo is pretty funny.
Couldn't have been that hard to get since Adult Swim has rights to air it as well, and they're both part of the same umbrella of networks. Also I didn't know it reached syndication! All riiiiiight!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's been airing on my local CW affiliate in syndication for at least a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
New thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791984

• Locked thread