Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
Looks like I missed the boat on the first two sessions. Is there anywhere I can hang out around those times to see if you need fill-ins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

Looks like I missed the boat on the first two sessions. Is there anywhere I can hang out around those times to see if you need fill-ins?

No one has signed up for the second session, actually. Although I'd still like an answer to this question. Also, any updates on more Europe-friendly timeslots?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Well if we wanna talk time zones I am actually in Australia (GMT+10); I'm able to make the normal ones though because they happen to be slap in the middle of the day when I have nothing on.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

Terrorforge posted:

No one has signed up for the second session, actually. Although I'd still like an answer to this question.

The first session is full, and the second one currently has 1/5 slots taken. I'll try to keep the OP updated, but the G+ event page should be considered the official list of players.

I'm planning to allow non-players to join the session and watch if they like. We'll see how that pans out, but if you've got time to kill and want to watch or see if someone doesn't show up, that's probably your best bet.

The encounters should be fairly easy to scale up and down, so I'm not really worried about people cancelling at the last session and leaving the party with 3+ people, but fillers are always welcome.

Terrorforge posted:

Also, any updates on more Europe-friendly timeslots?

Not really! I've recorded the 4 people here that posted timezones in a spreasheet and was hoping for a more obvious timeslot to emerge. I'm open to ideas though: GMT is 7 hours ahead of me (8 in a month or so, loving DST), so an evening session for Euros would be mid-afternoon for me. This would be easiest for me to do on a weekend, but with some effort I could swing weekday sessions every now and then.

What are some preferred days and times for those of you at GMT+1?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Terrorforge posted:

So I've mostly settled on making a Synthesist. Specifically, my concept is a sickly girl who built herself a suit of extraplanar armor as a life support system and ended up using it for adventuring.

My friend Naz has been talking about something like this for a while now, but hasn't ever gotten to play it. He was going to be a gnome and play it up as a clockwork suit of armor, but lots of what you said sounded similar. I can't wait to see it!

Terrorforge posted:

Since the Synthesist pretty much uses the Eidolon's everything except for saves and skill ranks I figured the simple thing to do would be to stat out the fused form as the "companion creature" and just make a little stat buff that I can turn on for the main guy so the skills and saves come out right.

The "companion creature" tab is a bit misleading, currently SyncRPG doesn't pull in any stats from it at all. This is an open enhancement we've had for a while, and the workaround we've been using has been to just make a new PC for companions.

That said, if you're referencing values FROM the companion creature tab and pulling them into the main one as part of a buff, everything's good.

Terrorforge posted:

The closest thing to an official response says you can qualify for feats with your fused stats so I've been working under that assumption, but feel free to veto that because the class really doesn't need the help. On that note, while I'm not going all out on making the strongest thing possible the base power level here is pretty high and I absolutely will not be able to stop myself from doing crazy bullshit with Evolution Surge so, you know, fair warning.

I've got no qualms about anything you said here. I've never seen an optimized summoner stomp the yard, as Nate usually forbids the entire class in his home games. As I said before, I'll do my best to scale up encounters based on how the party is doing, and I'd kindly ask you not to dominate every encounter and let players who might not have the most maximized character participate before you decapitate the enemies.

Terrorforge posted:

Oh, and would it be okay to refluff the Claws evolution as unarmed "Bash" attacks? The only functional difference would be dealing bludgeoning damage, I just find the idea of gauntlet punching folks more amusing than clawing them into ribbons.

Fine with me! Flavor it however you like, the damage type shouldn't matter too much.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Inverse Icarus posted:

Not really! I've recorded the 4 people here that posted timezones in a spreasheet and was hoping for a more obvious timeslot to emerge. I'm open to ideas though: GMT is 7 hours ahead of me (8 in a month or so, loving DST), so an evening session for Euros would be mid-afternoon for me. This would be easiest for me to do on a weekend, but with some effort I could swing weekday sessions every now and then.

What are some preferred days and times for those of you at GMT+1?

I'm technically GMT+2, but that's kind of immaterial. It's also switching back to GMT+1 within a month, so basically gently caress daylight saving and gently caress timezones.

Anyway, I'd prefer a weekday (specifically friday) session, but that is absolutely just convenience. Totally down for saturday evening session. Not sunday, though; that's when my regular group meets.

Inverse Icarus posted:

The "companion creature" tab is a bit misleading, currently SyncRPG doesn't pull in any stats from it at all. This is an open enhancement we've had for a while, and the workaround we've been using has been to just make a new PC for companions.

That said, if you're referencing values FROM the companion creature tab and pulling them into the main one as part of a buff, everything's good.

I'm doing that too, but the Synthesist is awkward because it doesn't just apply buffs, it alters a lot of base values including BAB. Double sheets are a workaround, but not being able to cross-reference could lead to a lot of confusion. I think I may be able to figure out how to make some kind of "smart buff" to just transfer the Companion Creature stats to my main sheets. I already did it with ability scores, maybe I can get the whole shebang there.

Inverse Icarus posted:

I've got no qualms about anything you said here. I've never seen an optimized summoner stomp the yard, as Nate usually forbids the entire class in his home games. As I said before, I'll do my best to scale up encounters based on how the party is doing, and I'd kindly ask you not to dominate every encounter and let players who might not have the most maximized character participate before you decapitate the enemies.

Yeah, no problem. I was thinking of playing it like a sort of "Groot" type character who mostly hovers in the background until a problem needs to be punched. We'll see exactly how it turns out, but I'm not in this to steal the limelight.

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 1, 2015

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Haven't played a rogue yet. Figured I'd do that. Waffling between making a social rogue and a two-weapon fighting rogue. Which are we gonna need more?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

I think I managed to set up the sheet in a sensible way. Had to shove some IF statements in uncomfortable places, but it seems to work.

What's the word on magic items? I haven't played that much pathfinder, but I gather that blowing all your starting gold on a single CL10 doodad is usually frowned upon, so are there any guidelines to keep in mind here?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I always forget about all the houserules we have in our games that aren't part of the core game. Been playing too long with the same people :)

We've always played with the rule that a single item shouldn't be more than half your starting money, 3,000gp in this case.

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 1, 2015

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Inverse Icarus posted:

I always forget about all the houserules we have in our games that aren't part of the core game. Been playing too long with the same people :)

We've always played with the rule that a single item shouldn't be more than half your starting money, 2,000gp in this case.

Don't we start with 6,000?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Yup! I'm the worst. Edited.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

In other news, my computer seems to be unable to use the software. Using Windows 10, running the batch file makes the command prompt appear for a moment, disappear, and it's never heard from again. Not sure what's up.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

BattleCattle posted:

In other news, my computer seems to be unable to use the software. Using Windows 10, running the batch file makes the command prompt appear for a moment, disappear, and it's never heard from again. Not sure what's up.

Try just running the .jar file?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Terrorforge posted:

Try just running the .jar file?

Huh! Java wasn't installed. I'm a dummy.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

BattleCattle posted:

BattleCattle posted:

Huh! Java wasn't installed. I'm a dummy.

This is the most common issue with people getting our tools up and running, and I'm glad to see you cleared that hurdle. Let me know if you hit any other problems!

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Bumping because it's gametime in 26 hours! The first session is full, but the second one on 10/27 still has three slots open, and I'll soon be scheduling one for 11/10.

I'll be posting the recording here afterwards, so all you lurkers will be able to see what you'd be getting into if you decide to join us in a future session.

No update on the Euro slot yet, but based on what was said here easiest for me would likely be Saturday nights for GMT +1/+2. If you're interested in timeslots around then, speak up! We'd need at least 4 people willing to play then.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Inverse Icarus posted:

No update on the Euro slot yet, but based on what was said here easiest for me would likely be Saturday nights for GMT +1/+2. If you're interested in timeslots around then, speak up! We'd need at least 4 people willing to play then.

Interest post.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Streaming Live: http://www.twitch.tv/syncrpg

Hope nothing explodes too bad.

Edit: Done for the night!

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 14, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Awesome session with Joe and everyone. We were a man down but it didn't matter as we had the power of Caddy!

Re fun stuff we were talking about : http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-goblin/feral-gnasher-barbarian-goblin

I seriously need to play this at some point.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Best session I've ever played.

:stwoon::skeltal:

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I had a blast. We managed to knock out two quests, some light RP, and a random encounter.

Thanks for being such a good sport about the spider venom! It's always fun when someone dies and rolls with the punches. Hug skeleton forever.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Raising Party Members For Fun And Profit

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

I actually caught that bit on the stream, but it wasn't until later that I realized:

Don't we have Hero Points? Couldn't he have Cheated Death?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Terrorforge posted:

I actually caught that bit on the stream, but it wasn't until later that I realized:

Hero points are optional extra, not part of the core game.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

Hero points are optional extra, not part of the core game.

Yeah, it's just that browsing SyncRPG timelines and stuff I saw several examples of people being rewarded hero points for good roleplaying and stuff so I assumed we were using them. Maybe we aren't, though.

Joe? Yay or nay on the hero points?

e: upon closer inspection, it was just one game not run by Joe, so the assumption was a little hasty. Still, would like official stance on hero points.

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 14, 2015

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Terrorforge posted:

Dying was more fun, so I went with it.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Terrorforge posted:

Yeah, it's just that browsing SyncRPG timelines and stuff I saw several examples of people being rewarded hero points for good roleplaying and stuff so I assumed we were using them. Maybe we aren't, though.

Joe? Yay or nay on the hero points?

e: upon closer inspection, it was just one game not run by Joe, so the assumption was a little hasty. Still, would like official stance on hero points.

I assume you're talking about Annwyn Fire, a playthrough of Paizo's Legacy of Fire AP. I'm playing in that game as Visaash! :)

I didn't think to award any last night, but in general I'm for awarding hero points based on fun or interesting events in-game. Good tactics in a fight, slaughtering multiple enemies at once, fun roleplaying, etc. Characters don't start with any, but can earn them as we play on. I might go back and hand some out from the last session retroactively.

Also note that it takes TWO of a characters three possible hero points to avoid death!

quote:

Cheat Death: A character can spend 2 hero points to cheat death. How this plays out is up to the GM, but generally the character is left alive, with negative hit points but stable. For example, a character is about to be slain by a critical hit from an arrow. If the character spends 2 hero points, the GM decides that the arrow pierced the character’s holy symbol, reducing the damage enough to prevent him from being killed, and that he made his stabilization roll at the end of his turn. Cheating death is the only way for a character to spend more than 1 hero point in a turn. The character can spend hero points in this way to prevent the death of a familiar, animal companion, eidolon, or special mount, but not another character or NPC.

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 14, 2015

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

BattleCattle posted:

Dying was more fun, so I went with it.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I did a write up and blow-by-blow of the last session, with links to all the character profiles for the curious. We played for two and a half hours, and got through some RP, exploration of a hex map, and three combat encounters. Three people showed, and two of them were goons (Gridlocked and BattleCattle.)

XP and loot are recorded here.

The next session is Tuesday, 10/27, at 5PM PDT, and still has 4 slots open at the time of this post!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I may chuck up a character over the weekend if you are still looking dry Joe. I wanna give others a chance to try out your awesome VTT and tools first though.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Same. I've got a rogue almost ready to go, but I want to give other people a fair shot, too.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

BattleCattle posted:

Same. I've got a rogue almost ready to go, but I want to give other people a fair shot, too.

Rogue 2: Do It From Behind

:skeltal:Caddy Shack:skeltal:

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I'd love to have you guys back :) I'm poking some of my veteran alpha testers to see if anyone can join, and promoting the game in a few more places.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Gridlocked posted:

Rogue 2: Do It From Behind

:skeltal:Caddy Shack:skeltal:

I'm alright. Nobody worry 'bout me.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Streaming Now!: http://www.twitch.tv/syncrpg

edit: Done for the night! Will post the recording later!

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 28, 2015

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

We crammed six encounters into under three hours! The party...
  • Was jumped by a gang of bandits while asleep.
  • Fought an ankheg in a mine with poisonous, flammable gas inside.
  • Ran into a fachen in the forest that got the drop on them.
  • Set up camp near an orchard of angry gourd lesheys (HAPPY HALLOWEEN!)
  • Encountered three axe beaks during a flash flood.
  • Went orc hunting to kill time at the end of the session, fought some orc marauders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5FGncUPOyo

Later this week I'll cut out some shorter highlight videos.

Next regular meeting is Tue 11/10/15 5:00 PM PST! NOTE: DST CHANGE, I'M NOW GMT -8.

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 28, 2015

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Here are two of the more interesting encounters, if the longer video was too intimidating for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLgzIKlCllU
On a rainy day on way home to Riverford after completing several quests, the party encountered three axebeaks. As the giant birds screeched and attempted to intimidate the party, the rains grew heavier, and a flash flood rolled over the open plains. As the waters surged, the bravest of the birds leaped over the rushing stream and tripped the rogue!

The "dynamic map" for this encounter is available for free on SyncRPG, and contains one-click macro buttons that toggle the "flash flood" effect on and off. There are many other dynamic maps on SyncRPG, so go check them out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUiKutS2pbQ
The party gets their teeth kicked in by a fachen.

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 29, 2015

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Loot and XP updated: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pVHb6qEG3Q1hTJS2jPcFwHNuJVOfwAG_WuNBK5rifzc/edit

BattleCattle has played in two sessions, and his (second) Rogue has leveled to 5th!

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

!!!

Fun fact. Played these games for more than a decade, never leveled up before. Lots of one-shots!

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

The third session is next Tuesday, and I'm planning to run the fourth session on Saturday, November 21st with the goal of being more Euro-friendly.

Anyone interested: Let me know what time works for you, listed in your time and PST (GMT-8, daylight savings is in effect now.), as well as your SyncRPG username. I'll do my best to accommodate everyone, and then I'll advertise the session more publicly to fill slots.

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 6, 2015

• Locked thread