Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

something ive been thinking about.. i get how wooden boats float cause if you throw wood on water it will float but if you throw something that is heavy like steel into water it will sink to the bottom, so why dont steel boats sink to the bottom? is there wood inbetween the steel on a steel boat or what?? thanks in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Very small rocks gently caress head

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
The volume of water displaced by the curved shape of the boat is heavier than the air displacing it. The overall weight of the boat pushing down is counterbalanced by the weight of water being pushed up, resulting in equilibrium, or, a floating boat.

TwoFire fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 28, 2015

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
The volume of water displaced by the curved shape of the boat is heavier than the air displacing it. The overall weight of the boat pushing down is counterbalanced by the weight of water being pushed up, resulting in equilibrium, or, a floating boat.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

The volume of water displaced by the curved shape of the boat is lighter than the air displacing it. The overall weight of the boat pushing up is counterbalanced by the weight of water being pushed down, resulting in equilibrium, or, my gay balls.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

TwoFire posted:

please dont troll my thread

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

TEAYCHES posted:

please dont troll my thread

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

if air keeps the heavy boat from sinking then how do fish breathe underwater

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
loving Physics nerds ITT.

Gonna give you all wedgies.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
loving boats, how do they work?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I was the captain of my team in the New Jersey High School Physics League

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Hobohemian posted:

loving boats, how do they work?

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

TEAYCHES posted:

the same way ants defy gravity- they're underwater (or in the case of ants, super small, so gravity can't see them and apply itself). The same applies.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
those guys are nerds

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TEAYCHES posted:

Fish don't breath they're vegetables ya git.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
God makes steel boats float to show you the glory of His creation.

See also: magnets

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

VendaGoat posted:

Y'all motherfuckers lyin'.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
when i go boating with my pops i like to bring a long a nice key lime pie. i'll grab a reese's pieces pie if im in a pinch though

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
with a bitch on my mind and my penis in my hands

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

ROFLburger posted:

when i go boating with my pops i like to bring a long a nice key lime pie. i'll grab a reese's pieces pie if im in a pinch though

welcome back, buddy! don't confuse ralp with your avatar in the future and you won't get banned. :glomp:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

TwoFire posted:

the same way ants defy gravity- they're underwater (or in the case of ants, super small, so gravity can't see them and apply itself). The same applies.

ok i guess this makes sense but it still doesnt explain boats imo

also if you drop something into a lake that is 200lbs at the same time as a 100lb object does the 200lb sink twice as fast?

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

TEAYCHES posted:

ok i guess this makes sense but it still doesnt explain boats imo

also if you drop something into a lake that is 200lbs at the same time as a 100lb object does the 200lb sink twice as fast?

water is blind so it can't see the boat duh

afraid i don't do math, what are you SOME KIND OF NERD!?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

is it possible to calculate how much water is in the ocean considering its constantly moving

how long would it take for the oceans to be the same depth if you removed the locks from the panama canal and let it flow freely, wouldnt they even out

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The volume of water displaced by the immigrants is lighter than the air displacing it. The overall weight of the boat pushing up is counterbalanced by the social justice workers of Europe, resulting in overpopulation, or, my gay balls.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

concrete ships were a thing at one time

really you can make anything float

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I displaced my cock in ops mom.

Taking the skin boat to tuna town

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

VendaGoat posted:

I displaced my cock in ops mom.

Taking the skin boat to tuna town

better watch out i once capsized between her thighs :(

Anthrovore posted:

concrete ships were a thing at one time

there were no survivors :(

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

TwoFire posted:

welcome back, buddy! don't confuse ralp with your avatar in the future and you won't get banned. :glomp:

thanks bud. i do NOT recommend being banned.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
how do boats work. Wood is loving heavy!

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
how do airplanes work

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

TEAYCHES posted:

is it possible to calculate how much water is in the ocean considering its constantly moving

how long would it take for the oceans to be the same depth if you removed the locks from the panama canal and let it flow freely, wouldnt they even out

let's stay on topic here people. i would like to know the answer to these question as well

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cnut the Great posted:

how do airplanes work

the air on the top of the wings is faster than the bottom so pressure brings them up

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

the wings of an airplane are filled with helium

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
how do vcrs work underwater or in the air?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Witch!

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

so why does this only work with boats and not if you threw something like a gun or a katana into the water

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

TwoFire posted:

they don't

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

TwoFire posted:

The volume of water displaced by the curved shape of the vcr is heavier than the air displacing it. The overall weight of the vcr pushing down is counterbalanced by the weight of water being pushed up, resulting in equilibrium, or, a floating vcr.

also you need a vhs tape rewinder shaped like a boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

TwoFire posted:

The volume of water displaced by the curved shape of the boat is heavier than the air displacing it.

What does the second part of this sentence mean?

• Locked thread