Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

vilkacis posted:

Attacking physically with dancers is hilarious :colbert:

Well, yeah, it is more fun than letting Wiznaibus whittle your enemies down to nothing once they are a pile of sleeping oil-soaked confused blind frogs full to the brim with impotent rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

So tier 4: 100% chance of murder. Tier 5: 25% chance of murder death kill.

Unless the rules forbid grinding jp for magic... Oh yeah, and the slowness of using a calculator in its native state.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

theblastizard posted:

The only weapon classes that unlock after Chapter 2 ends is the Dancer's Cloth and Ninja Knives, and armor is pretty universal, with all 3 types available from the start of the game.

While Ninja Knives are pretty great, you are probably still happy running a Ninja out there with regular knives and if you are phyiscally attacking with a Dancer you have made deeper errors.

I'd probably break the jobs into something like

Tier 1- Squire, Chemist, Knight, Archer, Black Mage, White Mage
Tier 2 -Thief, Monk, Oracle, Time Mage
Tier 3- Summoner, Mediator, Lancer, Geomancer
Tier 4- Ninja, Samurai,
Tier 5- Bard, Dancer, Mime, Calculator

And do unlocks along the lines of
Class 1: After Mandalia Plains- Tier 1
Class 2: After Lenalia Plateau- Tiers 1 and 2
Class 3: After Dorter Trade City Chapter 2- Tiers 2 and 3
Class 4: Arrival at Lionel Castle: Tiers 3 and 4
Class 5: Start of Chapter 3: Tiers 4 and 5.

I believe that all works out that every class that really needs equipment has access to what they needs when they are available.

In general I like the idea of getting the classes faster than the original build up, but I don't agree with having Mime and Calculator on the list of classes, Mime because of the ridiculous requirements to unlock, and calculator because it is entirely possible to get a class build that makes a calculator absolutely useless(get no mage classes).

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Update Three: Bariaus Valley to Goland Coal City

(I've gone back and updated Part One with with map overviews and strategies. Future updates will not have any more fancy maps with ally and enemy placement, though, that would slow down the updates way too much for my taste.)

Bariaus Valley Map Overview
Replayable as Random Encounter: Yes.
Allies: Squad 1 (Ramza and two Generics) start on the South-West, Squad 2 on the South-East, and Agrias about a turn or so North of Squad 1.
Enemies: Two Female Archers, two Male Knights, and two male Wizards. An Archer and a Wizard are on the North-East end of the map, and the rest are on the North-West end.
Objective: Save Agrias.

Bariaus Valley Battle Strategy Overview
  • You have the option of the two-pronged attack, or having your smaller group join your larger one. Do not leave Agrias to her own devices, as she will die without your support.
  • The trees on the North-East side will get in the way of attempts to shoot at the enemy with Bows.
  • There is (possibly?) a chance of rain depending on the season, so it may be worth it to retry for your preferred type of weather.
  • The Wizards may have tier 3 magic.

Geronimo! I march forward, still fielding four Archers and one Monk (Krile), taking out the Wizards as soon as possible. Agrias gets a few lucky Stops, but with or without the status ailment procs I generally attack the same targets she does.

I'm so focused on keeping Agrias alive that Krile eats a death, but she is the only casualty of this battle.

I guess it was time for that 1 in 4 chance to get hit to happen. :sigh:

I chase that last Archer down and plug her full of arrows before Squad 2 even has a chance to cross the river.

Agrias only stays long enough for me to nick her stuff and pawn it for cash. (Depending on what Jobs I get, we won't have more money than we know what to do with for quite some time and shops will offer better armor by Chapter Three, when I have a chance to roll my next Job.)

Golgorland Execution Site Map Overview
Replayable as Random Encounter: No.
Allies: Squad 1 (Ramza and 2 generics) starts at the East and Squad 2 starts at the gate entrance to the North.
Enemies: Two female Time Mages, two female Archers, three male Knights, and Gafgarion (Dark Knight). Gafgarion, an Archer, and two Knights start near the gallows at the center of the map; the two Time Mages are on top of the North wall, one on each side; the third Knight and the other Archer are on the West side.
Objective: Defeat all enemies.

Golgorand Execution Site Battle Strategy Overview
  • You have the option of staying on ground level to skirmish with the enemies there first or scaling the wall to take out the Time Mages.
  • If you have Time Mage as a legal Job, one of your allies can teleport to the top of the gallows (IMO, at least, the structure also looks like a guillotine that's lost its blade) and be safe from everything except the Archers.
  • If you have Thief, steal Gafgarion's sword. Otherwise gang up on him to take him out--you may need to leave him for last since he heals himself with Night Sword and your damage is better directed at the other units for the time being.

The 5JF has made me hate this battle more than ever. Being outnumbered is bad enough normally, but this time I'm also quite under-levelled.

I make the mistake of wasting turns on Gafgarion--I should've made a beeline for the wall and just waited--and this CT mismanagement costs Krile her life.

Bartz and then Faris fails to dodge arrows slung their way--this kills Faris.

Feeling left out, Galuf also takes two arrows to the knee chest. Meanwhile, my attempt to sandbag doesn't end well for me, as Lenna can't stay alive worth beans and I then lose Krile, the only other person with Item equipped. One reset later (+1 TPK), I switch to four Monks (all except Bartz with Item in their secondary slot) and one Archer (Krile) and go fight a grinding battle.

While grinding, Bartz dies (he gets better) and Krile learns Dodge Arrow, so she puts that on before I try again.

(Below are pictures of the rematch.)

Gafgarion decides to go for Squad 2 this time, but they mostly ignore him and heal each other as they head towards the wall. Meanwhile, Squad 1 makes the climb without too much of an issue and Krile starts raining death from above every turn. The Time Mage on the East side gets off one or to Slows before failing to Stop Galuf and gets punched to death in retaliation. The other Time Mage runs out of MP before I can kill her.

Gafgarion ended up going so far West that he decided to scale the wall from that side to chase after us. (One of the ladies--Faris, if memory serves correctly--is still on ground level doing cleanup in this screencap.)

Without Concentrate, Krile can't reliably shoot the Knight that's still left on ground level; instead, she goes to grab a chest while I have my Monks clumped together so they can be healed by a single Chakra.

Even if I had Priests or Time Mages, I'm pretty sure this White Staff would've been either redundant or not as good as what I can buy from shops. Selling.

Neither of my current Jobs can equip Robes, either, so this is more sell fodder. Once Faris is done grabbing that, she goes to join the others in finishing off the enemy. The Archer dies first, then the Knight, and finally...

...there's enough damage to overcome Gafgarion. Bartz (Guts on secondary) and Lenna are switched to Archer (Item on secondary) for the next battle. At this point, I should've bought Lightning shoes for everyone (see the strategy below), but unfortunately, I'd forgotten that the AI will elect not to use elemental attacks (including weapon attacks) if you have elemental blocking/absorbing equipment on.

At the Gate of Lionel Castle Map Overview
Allies: Squad 1 is Ramza, who will stand one specific spot at the top of the gate regardless of placement. Squad 2 is the rest of the party, who can be placed anywhere from right next to the gate to in front of the drawbridge. (Note that Squad 2 will face the gate once placed.)
Enemies: Gafgarion (Dark Knight), one male Archer, one male Summoner, and three female Knights. Gafgarion is on the North side of the map (behind the gate), one Archer and Knight on the West side, and the rest on the South side.
Objective: Defeat all enemies.

At the Gate of Lionel Castle Map Battle Strategy Overview
  • This story battle can be (temporarily) skipped by selecting a location beyond Lionel Castle; Ramza will move past it without triggering the battle.
  • Four of the generic enemies have Lightning elemental weapons, which can be neutralized by Lightning Shoes.
  • If Ramza does not have a high enough base Speed, Gafgarion is in range to move forward and damage him.
  • The gate can be opened by pushing the switch shown in the cutscene where the party went to drop of Ovelia at Lionel.
  • If possible, kill the Summoner before he has a chance to cast.

One of the times I ran this challenge, I had Archer and Time Mage as my Jobs. Guess who promptly teleported the entire squad to the top of the wall and rained pointy death on everyone? :getin:

I only have one Archer on the wall this time (Bartz), and he has to deal with Gafgarion first, so I send my Archers to kill the enemy Summoner before he has a chance to get a turn.

Even if I had Lightning Boots, I don't think I would've been able to negate getting a lot of poo poo broken. This is extra annoying since I lose the extra HP/MP cushion and any bonuses granted by the equipment that had been broken.

Meanwhile, Bartz's good compatibility with Gafgarion cuts both ways and he dies to a Night Sword, giving Gafgarion back some of the damage Bartz did to him.

Faris dies because I decide to go for an Earth Slash on Gafgarion through the wall rather than heal her (she and Galuf have Earth Slash), and then Krile dies feeding a Phoenix Down to Bartz (I don't remember if he got a turn before he dropped again--if he did, I may have elected to shoot Gafgarion since the only other way to be healed was Potions and Gafgarion still would've killed Bartz with a Night Sword).

Lenna (whose name is still mispelled because I won't haven't caught on yet until Chapter Three) loses her hat...

..and then her life. Meanwhile, sometime during all of this, I get the chance to revive Bartz because Gafgarion's parked himself agianst the back corner of the map (first because Bartz was dead and his AI had nothing else to do, then staying there when Galuf Earth Slashes him into Critical health). Bartz finishes Gafgarion off, then starts sniping enemies on the other side of the wall.

It's Galuf's turn to officially go shirtless, reflecting the state of his sprite as a Monk.

And now he's also dead. But at least everyone else is alive again.

Note to self: buy extra sets of armor before this battle next time. Everyone in Squad 2 is now missing one or more pieces of gear.

I was hoping for some of my gear back, but at least I can sell these extra Battle Boots.

Every puts on Defense Rings for the next battle, but I don't change classes because I think I can beat Queklain with Three Archers and two Monks.

Inside Lionel Castle Map Overview
Allies: Start at the South end of the map. Ramza's placement doesn't matter, since he always starts one row North of the Northern-most row of the starting squares.
Enemies: Queklain (Unclean King). He starts at the top of the stairs in front of the altar/coffin thing.
Objective: Defeat Queklain.

Inside Lionel Castle Battle Strategy Overview
  • Equip Defense Rings to neutralize Nightmare. Or, if you're feeling cheeky, Throw Rocks to awaken sleeping party members, as he generally won't target them with damage unless they're in Critical HP.
  • Queklain can also inflict Don't Act, Slow, Petrify, Zombie, or Frog. Bio1, Bio2, and Bio3 also all do damage, so keep that in mind.
  • Queklain (~400 HP) takes more damage while charging and is weak to Holy.
  • If you have enough speed, try to move out of range of spells being charged so that as few people are affected as possible.
  • Chakra still heals Undead units.

Why does Queklain's walk cycle have jiggle physics? :cry:

He gets the first turn, killing Krile. I scramble for cover and heal as much as I can; on his second turn, Faris is able to sneak a punch in while he is charging...

But he drops Krile again on his turn and retreats up the stairs. I have Bartz chase up the stairs after him.

Galuf is next to drop, and Faris is now a zombie, but the latter is not a problem since she can still use Chakra on herself.

Queklain descends the stairs to finish off Lenna. This proves to be his downfall, as Faris finishes him off as soon as her turn comes up.

Sometimes I have to wonder what the game would've been like if we stuck strictly to the political intrigue. But I guess watching a bunch of people sit around, plot, and argue is kind of boring, unless they their debates get resolved via superior firepower (I have Math Skill, your argument is invalid).

Anyway, with the plot progessing into Chapter Three, it's time to get another Job!

Being able to use guns is a little bit redundant when I already have bows, but I guess boosting my party to max Brave is alright (I'm also leaning towards turning my party into athiests; with three of my Jobs not being Faith-dependent, I'd rather take less damage from spells).

Detailed Mediator Breakdown:
Ability: Talk Skill. I've generally only used the stat-boosting ones in the past, but the status-ailment causing ones are worth trying if the odds of success are better than 50%.
Reaction: Finger Guard. This neutralizes enemy Mediators, but fairly useless to get since Mediators are such a rare enemy.
Support: Equip Gun (good for tacking onto caster classes so they have something to do before the enemy gets into spell range or negating Reaction: Counter), Train (a faster way to get Monsters into the party, as Invite's success rate usually doesnt' get much better than 15%), Monster Talk (I've never used Talk Skill on Monsters outside of Inviting them, so I have no idea how useful this is)
Movement: None.

Other potential Jobs:
  • Geomancer--Is only a little weaker than Knight, has ranged damage whose procs can't be relied on, but are still always useful whenever they happen. Counter Flood is also a pretty good Reaction ability to have.
  • Lancer--Say goodbye to your money and hello to the only other Job that has innate Equip Armor. All you really need is to grind enough JP for the best range and height of Jump and then you can Goomba Stomp everything to death in short order. Ignore Height isn't a Movement ability you'll be packing in every battle, but it's fairly useful. Most of the other things you can spend JP on isn't really worth it, though.
  • MONSTER--If you have the patience, this is when you can start recruiting really powerful monsters. However, the truely great ones are hidden behind some brutal rare battles, and you might not have enough damage-dealing Jobs that can survive them.
  • Squire--This is your first chance for Bartz to learn Ultima, but I don't suggest going for it.
  • Summoner--I really wanted to get this Job, as Monk synergy with Summoner means that I can cast multiple times per character; otherwise you're pretty much a squishier Wizard.

Galuf, Lenna, Faris, and Krile will unlock Mediator via Propositions; Bartz will hopefully unlock it in any grinding battles I fight, but for now he goes without. The current party is Bartz at Archer, Galuf and Krile at Mediator, and Faris and Lenna at Monk, all of them with the best equipment I can buy for them at this point.

Goland Coal City Map Overview
Allies: The squad will begin at the East end of the map. Olan starts on the roof.
Enemies: A male Mediator, three female Thieves, and two male Chemists. The Mediator is on the roof of the highest building with Olan, the Chemists and a Thief are on the building one floor below that, and the other Thieves are behind the building on the West side of the map.
Objective: Save Olan.

Goland Coal City Battle Strategy Overview
  • Olan can generally fend for himself, but he may still need healing, so don't forget to check his HP every once in a while.
  • Abilities with knockback can force enemies off the roof; this kills them when they hit the ground.
  • Kill the Chemists first, then the Thieves, then the Mediator.
  • Possibly a snow stage?

This battle is supposed to be cake, but you're still at the mercy of the very dodgy AI. And this time, Olan decides to read at the Mediator on the roof rather than cast Galaxy Stop.

Bartz gets charmed. I have one of the others punch him to shake him back to his senses and kill the Thief before she can make more trouble.

Was this my fault? I don't remember if he was in range to be healed on my turn before he got shanked.

(Reset!)

In the next battle, one of the Thieves behind the building spawns with Cancer, giving best compatibility with Bartz. Until she dies, he alternates between hopelessly enamored and nursing the headache from hell. (Olan contributes to the "snap out of it, Bartz!" movement twice with two Throw Rocks.)

When I'm not having someone punch Bartz back to his senses or heal him so he doesn't die from the same, the rest of my party are contributing to the battle without too much trouble, first dropping the frontmost Thief, then working their way to the Chemists. (Galuf is stuck doing Chakra for a while, though, because he keeps getting put into one-shot-away-from-death territory thanks to one of the Chemists, and it feels like Olan is casting fewer Galaxy Stops than usual.)

Krile, as fragile as ever, dies first (but no one else does).

This Platina Dagger would've been nice if I had a class that would use knives. (Mediators can, of course, but I'd much rather have them weild guns.)

I send one of the Monks to the roof to deal with the enemies there; the Thief that has been harrassing Bartz dies.

The Mediator is last to die. In retrospect, I could've killed him earlier and seen if he dropped anything interesting, but eh.

Lesalia Imperial Capital Map Overview
Allies: Squad 1 starts at the North-East side behind the gate, facing West; Squad 2 starts at the other side, facing East; Ramza will always spawn on the other side of the gate, next to Alma.
Enemies: Zalmo (Holy Priest), two female Monks, and three male Knights, all along the South. Zalmo is in the middle, flanked by two Monks and a Knight on the East side and the other Knights on the West.
Objective: Defeat Zalmo.

Lesalia Imperial Capital Battle Strategy Overview
  • Chakra can keep Alma topped up so that she eventually uses MBarrier on the entire party.
  • Zalmo has Arrow Guard as a reaction ability, but his Brave is low enough that it might be worth to chance shooting him.
  • Knockback abilities also work wonders on this battle, since a lot of the times you can lure the enemies to stand somewhere they would fall to their deaths if knocked back.
  • If you can't win the damage race against the Knights and Monks, focus fire on Zalmo and kill him before he has a chance to heal himself.

Zalmo moves first, retreating to the far end of the map, so Bartz jumps on the wall and targets a Monk instead. After Alma casts MBarrier on him, I use Chakra on her so she can keep doing that for the rest of my party.

Boy, was I surprised to see this on Zalmo, as I'd forgotten the details of this battle when playing through it in the past. Seeing this made me very paranoid that the game had somehow read my mind.

I'd also forgotten how hard the Knights hit now. They can do triple digit damage and randomly cause don't move. This "only" kills Lenna, but everyone else doesn't fare too well either.

Having Chakra means I can heal multiple people at once, but I am rapidly losing this damage race since Zalmo can heal much faster than I can and the enemy can hit harder. Plus I'm now stuck in this gate with no way to get out and Lenna's going to crystalize. So I reset, thinking all I have to do is grind at least once and replay this battle...

...but I have to replay Goland Coal City as well, because I forgot to save (both in the save menu AND with a save state) after I'd finished that battle!

I grind with Bartz at Priest so he can get JP towards unlocking Mediator (he gets enough to have Oracle) and everyone else learns Counter. Then I go into Goland Coal City with Galuf and Krile at Monk and Lenna and Faris with Mediator (empty-handed because I wanted to see how much Martial Arts boosts their unarmed damage).

...as it turns out, not a whole lot, but since Bartz isn't stuck in a never-ending Charm loop this time, I deal with the battle with no issues. (I didn't take any other screencaps because I basically stuck to the same strategy as I did last time.)

I passed 150 screencaps in the Lesalia rematch, so I'm saving the after-action report for next update.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 10, 2015

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Considering doing this only with a few rules of my own:

-All jobs available from the start
-Each of my 5 characters gets one job and can't take abilities from any other
-The exception to the above being Item, which everyone gets as a secondary, with Potion, Phoenix Down, Hi Potion at Chapter 2, and X Potion at Chapter 4
-And the REAL kicker is that I'd be using the 1.3 Content mod, which gives all the huge balance changes without the absurd difficulty jump of regular 1.3

People either need to talk me out of this or encourage me, I'm not sure which.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'd definitely want to see a run in 1.3, and any added lunacy is all the better.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Skyridge posted:

Considering doing this only with a few rules of my own:

-All jobs available from the start
-Each of my 5 characters gets one job and can't take abilities from any other
-The exception to the above being Item, which everyone gets as a secondary, with Potion, Phoenix Down, Hi Potion at Chapter 2, and X Potion at Chapter 4
-And the REAL kicker is that I'd be using the 1.3 Content mod, which gives all the huge balance changes without the absurd difficulty jump of regular 1.3

People either need to talk me out of this or encourage me, I'm not sure which.

I would encourage you to allow your characters to learn/use abilities from the other Jobs. Discovering/playing with all those synergies is, in my opinion, what makes a Five Job Fiesta different from, say, a Single Character Class Challenge.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Strategic overview is a nice addition.

Huh, I don't think I've ever seen Olan die - he generally more or less wins that fight all by himself, no matter what I do.

Got a bit of a chuckle out of Zalmo - he picked that reaction ability just for you. Talk about dedication.

Skyridge posted:

1.3 Content

:getin:

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
So how does this work exactly? All your characters had to be archers until you rolled monk, when they could be either? And you get 5 jobs total to choose from?

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

vilkacis posted:

Strategic overview is a nice addition.

Huh, I don't think I've ever seen Olan die - he generally more or less wins that fight all by himself, no matter what I do.

Got a bit of a chuckle out of Zalmo - he picked that reaction ability just for you. Talk about dedication.

:getin:

That's his normal reaction command. "Bosses" usually have static items/abilities (but not always!)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Finnish Flasher posted:

So how does this work exactly? All your characters had to be archers until you rolled monk, when they could be either? And you get 5 jobs total to choose from?

The rules are in the op, but tl;dr:

At the start of chapter 1, randomly pick one job out of archer, knight, priest, and wizard. At least one character must use that job in every battle from now on. So effectively, dotchan was stuck with a party of archers for the duration.

At the start of chapter 2, randomly pick one job out of monk, oracle, thief, and time mage. At least one character must use that job in every battle from now on. So dotchan can freely mix monks and archers as long as there's at least one of each.

And then chapter 3, 4, and the postgame content each adds one pool of jobs.

theblastizard posted:

That's his normal reaction command. "Bosses" usually have static items/abilities (but not always!)

What I mean is that it's highly unlikely that anyone would actually be affected by it outside a challenge run.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

4: FreeFoxbird!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Oracles were my favorite SCC challenge class. They're really amazingly versatile just with their own skillset. They can incapacitate a million ways, so there's usually something in their repertoire that will work. They have high MA, so their sticks can do really good damage. The sticks are 2-range, keeping them with a bit of safety buffer from enemies. Their Defense UP makes them surprisingly resilient. They get Move-MP up, so they rarely run out of MP. Plus they can drain MP and HP from enemies, making them even harder to wear down. There are a lot of fun tricks you can pull with them, but I won't talk about that stuff in case they come up in your run.

Point is, they're both physically and magically potent, and very durable for mages. Yay Oracles!

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 8, 2015

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Yeah, Oracle is the "why is this class so broken and why does no one ever use it?" class. Then again, when status effects were so worthless in pretty much every other rpg of that timeframe, I guess it's not so hard to see why after all.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Skyridge posted:

Yeah, Oracle is the "why is this class so broken and why does no one ever use it?" class. Then again, when status effects were so worthless in pretty much every other rpg of that timeframe, I guess it's not so hard to see why after all.

Well, I wouldn't call them "broken" (*for most battles), because they're still pretty reliant on their statuses, and those only have a % chance of working that depends on both your faith (which you can control) and the enemy faith (which you can't), as well as being heavily reliant on zodiac compatibility and magic-evasion gear the enemy is wearing. In a game where there are a ton of ways to just murder things in a turn or two (see: Black Mages), the Oracles' multi-turn process of "1. Attempt to incapacitate and miss, 2. try again and succeed, 3. beat on the helpless sod for a few rounds" might not seem impressive. Doesn't mean they're not fun as hell to use and very self-sufficient, though.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

vilkacis posted:

The rules are in the op, but tl;dr:

At the start of chapter 1, randomly pick one job out of archer, knight, priest, and wizard. At least one character must use that job in every battle from now on. So effectively, dotchan was stuck with a party of archers for the duration.

At the start of chapter 2, randomly pick one job out of monk, oracle, thief, and time mage. At least one character must use that job in every battle from now on. So dotchan can freely mix monks and archers as long as there's at least one of each.

And then chapter 3, 4, and the postgame content each adds one pool of jobs.

What I mean is that it's highly unlikely that anyone would actually be affected by it outside a challenge run.

But you don't have to have a party of only archers? Why is op doing that then?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I look forward to seeing what kind of bullshit I can pull with them! If only I had gained JP up so I could do it before the chapter ends...

...though I have a feeling I might not get as much use out of them as I could, given everyone has black magic already. Maybe I should try a scc after I'm done...

Finnish Flasher posted:

But you don't have to have a party of only archers? Why is op doing that then?

vilkacis posted:

At the start of chapter 1, randomly pick one job out of archer, knight, priest, and wizard.

OP rolled archer for chapter 1, I rolled wizard. OP rolled monk for chapter 2, I rolled oracle. That's the "random" part!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

vilkacis posted:

This suggests that you could have 1 archer and 3 knights, though. I think there's a missing rule: "You may only have characters (other than NPCs?) in the jobs that you have randomly chosen, and in no other jobs."

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

vilkacis posted:

I look forward to seeing what kind of bullshit I can pull with them! If only I had gained JP up so I could do it before the chapter ends...

...though I have a feeling I might not get as much use out of them as I could, given everyone has black magic already. Maybe I should try a scc after I'm done...

OP rolled archer for chapter 1, I rolled wizard. OP rolled monk for chapter 2, I rolled oracle. That's the "random" part!

"randomly pick one job out of archer, knight, priest, and wizard. At least one character must use that job in every battle from now on"

At least one character must use that always, but what about the others? Do they also have to be that or can they be whatever?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Finnish Flasher posted:

"randomly pick one job out of archer, knight, priest, and wizard. At least one character must use that job in every battle from now on"

At least one character must use that always, but what about the others? Do they also have to be that or can they be whatever?

Everyone has to be in a job you have rolled, and you have to have a representative of each job in every battle. Also you don't get to use abilities that aren't from the classes you rolled. So now what's-his-name can choose between having his characters be Wizards with Oracle abilities or Oracles with Wizard abilities, but he can't roll with an entire team of Wizards, he has to have at least one Oracle.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Well, if there's anything else that's unclear, the op is there for a reason. The challenge writeup is quite thorough.

Anyway, to get back on track...

5: Bariouch Hill

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Knight Moves

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I think I may try my own run of this, but changing the rules slightly so that you get your classes sooner. Thinking of using this schedule someone else posted with the classes shown:

Class 1: After Mandalia Plains - Squire, Chemist, Knight, Archer, Black Mage, White Mage
Class 2: After Lenalia Plateau - Thief, Monk, Oracle, Time Mage
Class 3: After Dorter Trade City Chapter 2 - Summoner, Mediator, Lancer, Geomancer
Class 4: Arrival at Lionel Castle -Ninja, Samurai, Bard/Dancer
Class 5: Start of Chapter 3 - Any class

I'm keeping Mime and Calculator out of it due to Mime's ridiculous unlock requirements and the possibility of Calculator being useless due to no other spellcaster. As that leaves no real 5th tier of classes I am letting tier 5 be all classes.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh hey, I was just about to say something about how the lack of thread participation was making me sad, and then we go and get thread participation.

I don't know why you'd want to spend time with Gil though, he's an rear end in a top hat.

Don't think I've actually run into any samurai skills yet - it was summons I had trouble with. :cheeky:

...I'm thinking Algus' mother hating him might explain a few things... including the name.

Nice start (and soundtrack), even if it's not entirely challenge-legal. I'm thinking a party of knights may not be the most exciting way to do chapter 1, but their abilities could very well make future ones a lot more pleasant.

On a different note...

6: Incredible Incompetence

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

vilkacis posted:

Don't think I've actually run into any samurai skills yet - it was summons I had trouble with. :cheeky:

Your update that I linked to has an Archer using Wiznoobius.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Your update that I linked to has an Archer using Wiznoobius.

That's Dancer.

Also, undead aren't guaranteed to revive at the 0 count. Just a chance. I think 50/50.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

FeyerbrandX posted:

That's Dancer.

Oh. It sounded Samuraish, and not Dancerish.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Oh. It sounded Samuraish, and not Dancerish.

That because Wiznaibus is what happens when the translator doesn't recognize a Japanese transliteration of "With Knives" and attempts to just loosely construct some English phonemes around it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

vilkacis posted:

Oh hey, I was just about to say something about how the lack of thread participation was making me sad, and then we go and get thread participation.

Someone should get OFS in here.

Glidergun posted:

That because Wiznaibus is what happens when the translator doesn't recognize a Japanese transliteration of "With Knives" and attempts to just loosely construct some English phonemes around it.

So it's supposed to be Dances With Knives? Neat! I love learning things like this.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So are you doing your own take on the challenge? I think the idea originally was to only use Movement/Support/Reaction abilities from the classes you roll. Which would leave knights with Weapon Guard, Equip X support abilities that don't do anything for them, and no movement ability at all.

Edit:

Skipping right to Bolt 3, eh? You'll probably want to pick up all the tier 2 spells (especially Bolt 2, which is 2 MP cheaper to cast than the other tier 2 spells for some reason). They'll probably be your bread-and-butter for the rest of the run. Good damage, relatively inexpensive to cast, and they don't have a prohibitively long casting time. The tier 1 spells end up too weak, and the tier 3 spells are too expensive and take too long to cast.

..or just Frog everyone and then club them with sticks.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 10, 2015

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Glidergun posted:

It doesn't seem very logical since it's mp damage, though. The WotL version is "witch hunter"... thought I think the best way to go would be to combine the two into :black101: witch cutter :black101:

Schwartzcough posted:

Skipping right to Bolt 3, eh? You'll probably want to pick up all the tier 2 spells (especially Bolt 2, which is 2 MP cheaper to cast than the other tier 2 spells for some reason). They'll probably be your bread-and-butter for the rest of the run. Good damage, relatively inexpensive to cast, and they don't have a prohibitively long casting time. The tier 1 spells end up too weak, and the tier 3 spells are too expensive and take too long to cast.

Probably, but I'll be getting some good use out of Bolt 3 as well, just you wait.

quote:

..or just Frog everyone and then club them with sticks.

:frog::hf::getin:

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 10, 2015

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

You know what? I feel inspired. Have an early update.

7: All In The Execution

...man, this is to much faster and easier than a normal lp :sweatdrop:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

dotchan posted:

Keldarn swears an oath to live by the codes of chivalry via Knights

Well, I swear, anyway. A lot.

I Like The Knight Life, Baby!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Not going to do fill LP effort posts of my nonofficial run, but will post updates on what is going on:

Got knight for first class, which had made chapter 1 easy so far, the only problem being affording equipment. It was just lots of walking forward and hitting people with swords and occasional potion using. I don't think I've ever had such an easy time at the thief fort. Chopped everyone down, had one knight fall and have to get Phoenix downed.

Second class I got oracle, who I've never used in the game at all. This should be interesting.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

[img]http://i.imgur.com/BNX93d7.jpg[/url][/img]
Saturday Knight's Alright For Fighting

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/BNX93d7.jpg[/url][/timg]
Saturday Knight's Alright For Fighting

Heh, wonder if you can keep the naming convention going for an entire run.

And so we see, even in challenge runs where you can't manipulate Brave at will, it's always better to take the "Our mission is to defeat the death corps" option when meeting Algus. Choosing that option gets your entire team +10 Brave, which translates to 2 permanent brave. Choosing the other option doesn't get you any brave, or maybe +5 (for +1 permanent brave). If you can kill Algus before his dialog about choosing the mission over him, great, everyone gets to keep the brave boost. If you can't, only Ramza gets -10 Brave, and looses his +2 permanent boost. All the other characters that you brought to the first fight get to keep their Brave bonus.

Of course, that dialog also gives Algus a brave boost. He normally has terrible brave in that battle, which is good because he has AutoPotion. He becomes much harder to kill after getting a brave boost, which can be a problem if you need to kill him ASAP because you can't take out all his goons.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Not going to do fill LP effort posts of my nonofficial run, but will post updates on what is going on:

Got knight for first class, which had made chapter 1 easy so far, the only problem being affording equipment. It was just lots of walking forward and hitting people with swords and occasional potion using. I don't think I've ever had such an easy time at the thief fort. Chopped everyone down, had one knight fall and have to get Phoenix downed.

Second class I got oracle, who I've never used in the game at all. This should be interesting.

Another nice thing about the Sticks that Oracles can use is they have +20% weapon evade, which you only get to benefit from if you equip Weapon Guard from Knights. +20 evasion from the front and sides is actually pretty nice on mages, and makes Oracles even harder to kill.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Huh, guess I'm not the only one who has more trouble with the "easy" maps.

Schwartzcough posted:

Heh, wonder if you can keep the naming convention going for an entire run.

I hope so, I'm enjoying the soundtrack.

Schwartzcough posted:

Another nice thing about the Sticks that Oracles can use is they have +20% weapon evade, which you only get to benefit from if you equip Weapon Guard from Knights. +20 evasion from the front and sides is actually pretty nice on mages, and makes Oracles even harder to kill.

The fact that it takes a skill to use it still bugs me :argh: I'm sorely tempted to apply the "innate WG on all classes" hack...

8: loving Oracles

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
A combination of Rubber Boots and Maintenance (or making your mages into temporary nudists in this case since you don't have access to Maintenance) actually makes it so Gafgarion is the only thing that can hurt you on that map.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

So they all spawn with lightning weapons? I'm bad at checking these things...

...Still, the summoner was packing Shiva, so I wouldn't say Gaff's the only thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Why did Ramza being an oracle mean he couldn't contribute anything? I thought you could just give him black magic as his secondary, or have I been misunderstanding the rules the whole time?

• Locked thread