Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012
I think the best part about crossword puzzles is how a letter in one word is also a letter in a word going in the totally other direction. It's just, like, how do they even do that, you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
the way to get better at crossword puzzles is doing them a lot

it is something you learn, not just the "vocab" of the answers but also strategies for how to approach various sections of the puzzle

i can do any day puzzle of the NYtimes without assistance, but usually with fri/sat i might need a little help; sometimes i get through them entirely alone!

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

dad gay. so what posted:

i like clipperships

Little Man Tate?

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

ThePriceIsRight posted:

how do you get good at crosswords if you are dumb and dont know nothing about anything? I ahve a lot of fun playing them but I can only get a couple of words max

Start with the easier ones, like sometimes you'll find a clue where the answer is a part of the sentence. Or some clues might something like "confused" or "arranged" and you know it's an anagram. For example:

"Nomadologique could make a gap, if so repaired (2,2,1,3)"

The answer is an anagram of "a gap if so", and you get "OP is a fag", which is indeed a description of Nomadologique.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

i really like crossword puzzles too but they're difficult to find good ones that are in actual english that you don't have to pay for

http://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/series/quick

Go nuts.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

I regularly do the Los Angeles Times crossword puzzles. The Monday editions are the easiest, and they get harder as the week goes on. Saturday puzzles are very, very hard.

Love,
Vitalis

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
im more of a junior jumble kind of guy

kittiesgomeow
Oct 13, 2008

This avatar cost on average $27.
crosswords are great but the cryptoquips are far better. in my paper they are always dadjokes and it's a lot of fun. you should do some op.

Aug 4, 2010

lmao OP crosswords are lame as hell you nerd lol

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
wow vitalis bud thanks for necroing this post just so i could get made fun of, wtg!!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Crossword puzzles are basically the worst kind of puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

nomadologique posted:

wow vitalis bud thanks for necroing this post just so i could get made fun of, wtg!!

no kidding. man, you've got lousy taste in philosophers and philosophical movements.

• Locked thread