Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Thauros posted:

Does anyone know if it was explained why Tiger Hattori (wearing a NJPW ref shirt as usual) officiated the MiSu/Suguira match?

Suzuki wanted no ref for the match so they had Hattori as a compromise, I guess because he's supposed to be a neutral party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theminx
Jun 7, 2007
I has a bucket.
It bothers me that he was wearing his WK9 shirt. Red Shoes may have made the match better

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Lot of NJPW stuff in the new issue:

quote:

Business remains stable. The Okayama show drew 3,160 fans, which was reported as a sellout, but actually was a little shy of capacity and there were empty seats in full view of the cameras. The show felt more like a house show with a few big matches. Because of the quality of wrestling, it was good, but had the feeling at times of a routine Raw.

Kobe was legitimately sold out with 6,120 paid. It felt like a big card, with the usual pattern of good matches up-and-down the show, an excellent main event and the teases and builds for the next big show. You can see that everything make sense with the direction things seem to be going, but the issues we’ve talked about all year are there with the sameness and repeated matches. They desperately need a new top guy in the mix like Styles in 2014, especially with losing Minoru Suzuki. For the last several years this has felt like a hot and growing promotion, but to continue in that path, not only do they need an upgrade in television time, which isn’t happening, but a steady stream of new wrestlers who can climb the ladder to the top.

Ibushi should have been that guy, but it seems because he’s not full-time, they are slow to make it a big five with him. If he had beaten Makabe for the Never title, he could have faced Ishii, both fresher matches, and could have defended against Honma or Goto at the Dome, which would be fresher for that title than what appears to be the current direction.

Snowflakes:

Okayama:

Nagata/Shbata/Komatsu/Tanaka vs. Naito/Nakanishi/Finlay/White - **
reDRagon vs. Liger/Dorada - ***
Tiger Mask vs. Steve Anthony - ***
Tanahashi/Sydal vs. Fale/Tonga - ***
MGKA/Gallows vs. Ten-Cozy - **3/4
Nakamura/Ishii/YOSHI/RPG VICE vs. Goto/Honma/Captain/Taguchi/Shelley - ***1/4
Omega vs. KUSHIDA - ***1/2
Makabe vs. Ibushi - ****1/4

Komatsu/Tanaka vs. White/Finlay - **1/2
Nagata/Liger/TMIV vs. Nakanishi/Captain/Robinson - ***
Ishii/YOSHI/RPG Vice vs. Makabe/Honma/Taguchi/Dorada - ***1/4
Ten-Cozy/Sydal vs. MGKA/Gallows/Omega - ***1/2
Naito vs. Shibata - ***1/2
Okada/YTR/Saku vs. Styles/Tonga/Hall - ***1/4
reDRagon vs. Time Splitters - ****
Tanahashi vs. Fale - ***1/2
Nakamura vs. Goto - ****1/2

In complete agreement with his anaylsis and mostly agreed with the ratings. I'd have rated Shibata/Naito slightly higher and the NEVER match slightly lower due to booking in both cases.

Oh, and #BIGMIKE's slated to be in the tag tournament.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 1, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
Seems weird to use the phrase 'legimately sold out' when there must have been ~2000 comps but maybe that's the standard terminology?

edit: thinking about it it makes sense in that they sold all the tickets they put on sale I guess.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 1, 2015

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Thauros posted:

Oh, and #BIGMIKE's slated to be in the tag tournament.

Hell yeah, did it say who his partner would be? Based on card position and alignment the ROH guy that would make most sense would be Roddy, and he's not in the title picture in ROH right now like he was during the G1 so they might be more open to him doing a Japan tour.

e: If ROH isn't directly involved beyond giving Elgin the go-ahead, the way more farfetched but awesome option would be an Unbreakable loving Machines reunion, but I don't know if NJPW has ever shown any interest in Cage.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 1, 2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Grozz Nuy posted:

Hell yeah, did it say who his partner would be? Based on card position and alignment the ROH guy that would make most sense would be Roddy, and he's not in the title picture in ROH right now like he was during the G1 so they might be more open to him doing a Japan tour.

e: If ROH isn't directly involved beyond giving Elgin the go-ahead, the way more farfetched but awesome option would be an Unbreakable loving Machines reunion, but I don't know if NJPW has ever shown any interest in Cage.

He said that at one point it was supposed to be Tana. The way he wrote it I'm guessing that's no longer the case thouugh (might just be that he's unsure tho). Cage has been mostly an AAA guy lately. Even if he's not under contract NJPW's probably not gonna touch him given their relationship with CMLL unless he stops working there.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Oh that's right, I forgot that NJPW is super protective of their relationship with CMLL and Cage is tangentially associated with AAA now. They didn't seem to have a problem with Ricochet being in a AAA-associated product, but I guess Ricochet hasn't worked any matches in AAA proper like Cage did.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Go Shiozaki did an interview with the announcer Shibata where he mentions a ton of NJPW wrestlers. So take that for what it's worth as to where he's headed. Wonder if they shoot an angle at KOPW?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

Go Shiozaki did an interview with the announcer Shibata where he mentions a ton of NJPW wrestlers. So take that for what it's worth as to where he's headed. Wonder if they shoot an angle at KOPW?

He'd be a logical challenger for Nakamura at WK10 imo if Styles is winning the ROH belt at Final Battle and defending that instead. I figured he was probably going back to NOAH so that's interesting.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
He said people have asked him about going to NOAH but that he'd be an invader just like Suzuki. Could be a swerve though.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I finally got caught up on Destruction. The work rate was good across the board but some of the results were really unsatisfying. Kenny Omega winning was the worst. I thought Goto winning would be best for him, but I'll be damned if I'm not excited for some Machine Gun singles action. Gallows really drags him down and the heavyweight tag division is a wasteland.

Charles Gnarwin fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 1, 2015

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I finally got caught up on Destruction. The work rate was good across the board but some of the results were really unsatisfying. Kenny Omega winning was the worst. I thought Goto winning would be best for him, but I'll be damned if I'm not excited for some Machine Gun singles action. Gallows really drags him down and the heavyweight tag division is a wasteland.

Goto was in a terrible spot. He wasn't going to draw well enough to fill the house as the IC champion (or certainly not as well as Nakamura could). I really don't know what he does from here. Maybe have him and Shibata team up again and go after the tag titles one more time?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Don't do that just push Shibata instead.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

RaceyBucket posted:

Don't do that just push Shibata instead.

Shibata should beat Shinsuke at the Dome for the belt.

Instead he will probably wrestle Cody Hall or some poo poo.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Give Shibata the NEVER title Gedo!!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

goto will save NOAH

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd actually love it if Shibata rescued NOAH, but he'd be seen as an outsider too. I imagine Marufuji will take the belt back.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Currently sitting in Bethnal Green, waiting for tonights show. I'm gonna get to see AJ, Okada, Tanahashi, Naito and more. Gonna be a gooood night.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sounds like it'll be kevin kelly

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I don't hate Kelly like a lot of people do, but I hope they have a bilingual color guy. I don't mind Japanese commentary but having a guy who could give us the basic gist of promos would be great

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I don't mind Kevin Kelly, but I will probably watch the show in Japanese because I've grown to really like it despite not understanding anything but the English loan words.

Also, after watching Sydal/Kushida from the recent ROH TV show, I'm especially pissed that Omega took the jr title. Sydal and Kushida could have torn the house down in a rematch and it would have had the added element of Sydal holding a win over Kushida coming into the match.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Kevin Kelly needs a good partner to keep his bad habits in check so njpw is probably going to bring back Matt Striker

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I imagine I'll probably just stick with the Japanese commentary. It's more fun.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Wait, what? It's going to have an English alternate audio track on World?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I accidentally walked into Kojima just now.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Another Person posted:

I accidentally walked into Kojima just now.

tell him you really liked metal gear solid v

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Thauros posted:

I don't hate Kelly like a lot of people do, but I hope they have a bilingual color guy. I don't mind Japanese commentary but having a guy who could give us the basic gist of promos would be great

anyone but Corino and Striker. Kelly's gotten better imo.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I have zero issues with the Japanese commentary but I'll at least give the English language feed a shot to see what I think.

EdsTeioh posted:

Wait, what? It's going to have an English alternate audio track on World?

I would imagine given the banner and the fact that they have the show listed twice with one being in English and US times given for it

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Thauros posted:

I have zero issues with the Japanese commentary but I'll at least give the English language feed a shot to see what I think.

I would imagine given the banner and the fact that they have the show listed twice with one being in English and US times given for it

Ah, ok; couldn't see it since I'm at work. That's pretty rad. I actually really like the Japanese commentary, but my friends are indifferent. Maybe this'll break down some moon language barriers.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Biggest reason to not use the English commentary: I have never once heard Kevin Kelly actually call the Bomaye. He just goes "ohh" or says, "Got em!"

I can't watch a New Japan show without someone shouting, "BOMAYEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

KungFu Grip posted:

tell him you really liked metal gear solid v

dude is real buff looking irl and also gets super embarrassed when he walks into people

he also has goofy glasses

e; he is also real short, dude maybe touched my shoulders

e2; full rundown

The RPW main stable, the Revolutionists kinda suck, except Marty Scurrl.

Shinsuke is as cool irl as he looks on camera, and he was on top form. He won his match against some fat Irish dude called Big Devo or something like that. He was very spry and good for his size. It felt like a typical Nakamura match, and that was good enough for me. I was actually more impressed by his opponent, who struck a good balance between looking intimidating, and being agile enough to keep up and carry his own weight. He had a very hairy body too. There was a pretty good gag at the start of the match where Nakamura acted like he got hair from the Irish guys back in his mouth.

Tenzan sucks as much as he looks like he does on camera as he does in person. Kojima carried the match, but needs to go to Specsavers for a new pair of glasses if he didn't see a 6'2" guy walking into him. His chops are really good, and you could hear them from all over the arena.

Okada and Gedo beat Tanahashi and Liger. Gedo is a SUPER NICE GUY. Gedo was the highlight of the match, dude knows how to work a crowd. They spent like a minute and a half of the match with Gedo trying to get Liger to shake his hand, and it was worth every second. I could watch Gedo do nothing but stand at the ringpost and taunt guys and feel satisfied. He should push himself imo. Tanahashi didn't do much in the match, it was mostly the other three. He only really came in for saves, and tagged back out after.

Naito is really fun to watch irl, but he is somehow tiring to watch. His lethargy in the ring seeped into me. He wrestled a guy called Mark Haskins, who was also very good. They had a good dynamic together.

Kushida vs. O'Reilly was amazing, and you can tell those two really know how to work with each other. It was billed as a rematch of the Best of Super Jr. final, but it didn't really feel like it. It was a brilliant match, don't get me wrong, but there was a lack of gravity to the match mostly since they both seemed to be playing the likeable good guy, and kept hamming things up for the crowd. Still a very fun match tho. O'Reilly won unexpectedly. It ended with a friendly handshake between the two, although Kushida looked really bitter at the end of the match. Perhaps he is going hell?

There was a no holds barred match between two guys I have never seen before, and didn't see for most of the match. It spilled out into the audience, and everyone stood up throughout it. The babyface of the match was shorter and less built than me, and he looked like he was a big fan of My Chemical Romance. It was a bad match, but then, most hardcore style matches are. They went through the usual motions of a hardcore match, chairs, someone from the crowd threw a crutch in and it got used, and then it spilt out into the crowd. They finally got back in, there were stapleguns and pins, then the Revolutionists came out and attacked the babyface. It just didn't feel like a good match to watch from the crowd, and because I knew neither of the guys I had no investment. I wanted the bad guy whose name I never learned to win, and he did. I also got headbutted by a girl who was standing on a chair while I was asking her who I was supposed to be rooting for, which was pretty funny. Yeah, people had to stand on chairs to know what was happening in this match. It was not the right arena for that style of match really.

The final was AJ, Marty Scurrl and a guy I had never heard of called Will Osprey for the local belt. It was a very good match, all of the competitors looked good and strong. AJ was like he always is in the ring, flawless on the execution with perfect timing. I didn't know what to really expect out of the other two since I hadn't seen them much, but they impressed me too, particularly Osprey who can really move. Osprey had the crowd behind him pretty much the whole time. There was a lot of spins and flips out of him. AJ walked out the winner, keeping the belt, but it seems like they might be setting up Styles vs. Osprey next. If you ever get a chance to see Osprey, give it a shot, I recommend him wholeheartedly. The ending of the match kinda felt abrupt and too quick, with AJ jumping off the top turnbuckle onto the other two, and then hitting one of them with the Styles Clash in the aftermath for the pin, but perhaps I felt it left something to be desired because I didn't expect AJ to win and actually wanted the guy I had never seen before, Osprey, to walk out winner. Tells you how much I got behind the kid.

There was also a match between ACH and Kris Travis, a kinda short bald dude who can go. It was more of a comedy match than a serious show of ability, but it was extremely enjoyable regardless. I really like ACH, even when he doesn't take it seriously. Highlights of the match included ACH shouting "Solar Flare!" and holding his hands to his head and Travis selling it, and ACH calling for the audience to give him their energy for a Spirit Bomb. Travis won in the end.

All in all, I recommend that you go see one of the shows if NJPW ever come near you, it is a great night out. I think there are still tickets for the Reading show tomorrow if anyone is in that area, it will be totally worth watching.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 2, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

oatgan posted:

Kevin Kelly needs a good partner to keep his bad habits in check so njpw is probably going to bring back Matt Striker

ppl on Twitter are saying it's Kelly and Striker. idk where they got that from but if it's true uh it's hard to construct a worse announce team out of currently available talent.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

matt stryker and another matt stryker

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Don't insult Kevin Kelly like that, he's bad but he's not Striker bad.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
That was probably Martin Kirby and not Kris Travis seeing as Kris retired for good due to cancer.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Another Person posted:

some fat Irish dude called Big Devo or something like that.
Big Damo. Good wrestler, one of the benefits of ICW's small ring is that he'll sometimes hit a Van Terminator.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

KungFu Grip posted:

That was probably Martin Kirby and not Kris Travis seeing as Kris retired for good due to cancer.

Oh poo poo, sorry to hear that about the guy. Either way, his stand in was pretty drat good at his thing, although he spent most of the match playing defensively.

And yeah, Big Damo was the name. Of the people I never knew about, he probably impressed me the most for defying expectations.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Will Ospreay rules, and you should all check out his match with AJ Styles from RPW's High Stakes earlier this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

Will Ospreay rules, and you should all check out his match with AJ Styles from RPW's High Stakes earlier this year.

I will probably do just that as soon as I get back to Birmingham. I hope that kid gets picked up by somewhere big that know how to use his talents.

Also, I was happy to see that even though he wasn't there last night, they did have Ishii shirts, so I got one. I BITE U.

• Locked thread