Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Germ Incubator posted:

Matt Striker again?

It's a no from me. I prefer the JPN comm anyway, I can't tell if they're being annoying or poo poo.

exactly. I'd prefer all wrestling commentary to be done in an unintelligible pidgen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*

Charles Gnarwin posted:

That's how I feel. The announcers may be annoying as poo poo in Japanese, but all I get is pure excitement. I know the names of moves and the in-ring storytelling in NJPW is strong enough that I can fill in any plot hole that I missed from a promo.

Exactly, and any small nuances or details that I can't get are usually talked about on the AXS show, and that's catching up fast to the current shows. I'll prob check the English comm out after just to see how they did, but generally I'm not arsed and am happy to stick with the Japanese. If anything it's motivating me to learn more of the language.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I remember liking Striker at WK9, but in hindsight that was mostly JR keeping him grounded. He was godawful at TripleMania.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Benne posted:

I remember liking Striker at WK9, but in hindsight that was mostly JR keeping him grounded.

Striker: Just once, JR, I want to hear you shout,"LARIAAAAATOOOOOOOOO! :haw:"
JR: ..........................

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
JR completely ignoring the Meltzer Driver was also delightful.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Benne posted:

I remember liking Striker at WK9, but in hindsight that was mostly JR keeping him grounded. He was godawful at TripleMania.

Triplemania was Striker loving around because he knew everything had gone to poo poo. Which is the worst possible response.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
https://twitter.com/lasombra_cmll/status/652787989446180864

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

La Sombra is coming motherfuckers?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

los ingobernables gonna save new japan

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
Apparently it doesn't mean anything :(

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

A surprising lack of "gently caress me daddy" replies

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00351_1_1

Press confererence with Striker and Kelly's commentary is up. Striker managed to go almost 5 minutes without saying "symbolic"!

EDIT: Yep, Striker's contuining with his standard M.O. of "if you don't know, make some random poo poo up".

EDIT 2: Not a shock, but Juice Robinson announced that he's now an official member of the NJPW roster

Thauros fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 11, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Rovert was implying on Twitter that the whole Juice Robinson thing was set up by WWE btw

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Striker complaining is as common as marks taking themselves too seriously. It's a good step for the company but naturally poo poo on by people who want to be more puro than the next guy.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I agree that it's at the very least not a negative step since it effectively changes nothing for people who were already happy watching the Japanese commentary. Dunno if I can call it positive since I'm not convinced it's part of a larger English-language plan, more like them just doing poo poo to do it - they still don't even have an English language website ffs. I don't know why you have to project weird motivations on the people dogging on it though. They just think Striker sucks.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

Rovert was implying on Twitter that the whole Juice Robinson thing was set up by WWE btw

hmm, I missed that but that's v interesting. I know ( Iirc from a post rovert made in PSP) that Matt Bloom got him the gig but I took that as more of a favor from a teacher with obv strong links to NJPW than anything else. Certainly wouldn't shock me that there's more to it though given the company's warming relationship.

hadji murad posted:

Striker complaining is as common as marks taking themselves too seriously. It's a good step for the company but naturally poo poo on by people who want to be more puro than the next guy.

I think it's great that they're doing this and he's a hell of a lot better than nothing for reaching the large amount of fans that refuse to watch wrestling with foreign language commentary (they need to market things better to actually reach them though). I'm still allowed to whine a bit they didn't use other guys they have access to that IMO would be better for the job.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 11, 2015

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Spermgod posted:

Dave outright said they got him the gig a while back

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

hadji murad posted:

New Japan has a good English announce team and he's not on it. That's about it.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Where is Tenay goddamnit!

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

oatgan posted:

Dave outright said they got him the gig a while back

Yep he did.

Triple H said in the NXT conference call that they've talked with New Japan about stuff. But I wouldn't get carried away with the Juice Robinson thing. Matt Bloom was probably just operating in his capacity as a friend to Robinson. But where does friendship and role as NXT Head Trainer begin and end is an interesting question? If Tensai used a phone at the Performance Center to ring New Japan in becomes an official NXT action pretty much.

There's a whole semantics situation in regards to whether WWE sent or suggested EVOLVE to Matt Riddle too. Meltzer had to clarify his initial report after Gabe and Riddle saw it.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Spermgod posted:

they still don't even have an English language website ffs.

http://www.njpw.co.jp/english/

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I meant for NJPW World

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

hadji murad posted:

it's possible to think njpw getting english commentary is a great idea while also realizing that matt stryker is poo poo at commentary

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

it's possible to think njpw getting english commentary is a great idea while also realizing that matt stryker is poo poo at commentary

^^^

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Striker's okay when he's got somebody that can cut off his smark tendencies. Or his psychotic conservative tendencies.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Striker's okay when he's got somebody that can cut off his smark tendencies. Or his psychotic conservative tendencies.

I don't think Kelly is an assertive enough personality to do that though. So we're going to get plenty of Matt Striker putting over how 'smart' he is, and that will be awful.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

I don't think Kelly is an assertive enough personality to do that though. So we're going to get plenty of Matt Striker putting over how 'smart' he is, and that will be awful.

AND THE YOUNG BUCK WITH THE DAVID MELTZER DRIVER! Of Course the Bullet Club are banned in America, thanks Obama!

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

To add to this, NJPW already has a good English commentary team and decided not to use them for reasons known only to them (I think).

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whozat

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

BlueArmyMan posted:

To add to this, NJPW already has a good English commentary team and decided not to use them for reasons known only to them (I think).

barnett and ranallo are employed by AXS, not NJPW.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

minoru suzuki posted:

barnett and ranallo are employed by AXS, not NJPW.

Employed by AXS on a deal put together by TV Asahi, even

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I mean while that's true it's fair to say that NJPW should probably have some awareness of the guys that do the commentary on their existing English language TV show

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
Juice Robinson confuses me. He was smart enough to realize that the CJ Parker gimmick had no upward mobility but then he willfully chose to use the name Juice Robinson.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
welcome baaki, Takaaki

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
his STO was cool

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Official figure is 8,302 Fans - Super No Vacancy

Hopefully that's legit and they're just not counting comps.

quote:

Watch in English or Japanese on NJPW World!

NJPW "KING OF PRO-WRESTLING", 12.10.2015 (NJPW World)
Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan
8,302 Fans - Super No Vacancy

1. Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask, Ryusuke Tagcuhu & Mascara Dorada defeated Juice Robinson, Yohei Komatsu, Sho Tanaka, David Finlay & Jay White (8:47) with the Dorada Screwdriver of Dorada against Finlay.
2. Tomoaki Honma defeatedYOSHI-HASHI (8:55) with the Kokeshi.
3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima, Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi defeated Hirooki Goto, Katsuyori Shibata, Kota Ibushi & Captain New Japan (12:12) with the Lariat of Kojima against Captain.
4. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly (c) (15:21) defeated Rocky Romero & Beretta when O'Reilly pinned Beretta (2nd defense).
5. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Kenny Omega (c) defeatedMatt Sydal (15:26) with the Katayoku no Tenshi (1st defense).
6. Special Six Man Tag Match: Shinsuke Nakamura, Toru Yano & Kazushi Sakuraba defeated Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows & Bad Luck Fale (6:34)
7. NEVER Openweight Title: Tomohiro Ishii defeatedTogi Makabe (c) (17:54) with the Vertical-Drop Brainbuster - Title Change.
8. Tokyo Dome IWGP Heavyweight Title #1 Contendership: Hiroshi Tanahashi defeatedTetsuya Naito (19:55) with the High Fly Flow.
9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada (c) defeatedAJ Styles (30:15) with the Rainmaker (first defense)
(results courtesy of PUROLOVE.com)

Also of note was the return of Taakaki Watanabe as Naito's aide and presumably a new member of the NJPW version of Los Ingobernobles.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
STRIGGA of PuroLove says as of some time in January they don't count comps in the attendance. Last time 9000 was announced as Super No Vacancy Full House, so probably 700 unsold tickets for this one.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

STRIGGA of PuroLove says as of some time in January they don't count comps in the attendance. Last time 9000 was announced as Super No Vacancy Full House, so probably 700 unsold tickets for this one.

oh yeah, should've noticed the absence of "Full House" as with the true sellouts. Not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
If you wanted to put a positive spin on it you could say that they've run that match a lot this year and it still did OK. The problem going forward is that they don't have many credible matchups that they haven't run a lot.

• Locked thread