Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
dealing with the presentation:
kill yourself so you don't have to present
do it in full cosplay to ease the tension
spike the refreshments, drunk audiences dont give a gently caress
View Results

• Locked thread
lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
i have to give a 15 minute presentation on a health and fitness/business topic thing in front of a fairly large crowd tomorrow, followed by 15 minutes of Q and A.

there will be a podium so i guess i'll have notes to refer to, and i'm usually cool with the Q and A part, but i suck at public speaking.

please share your tips, tricks and lifehacks for dealing with this. picturing the crowd naked will only result in a boner and this is a typically reserved, stiff upper lip british crowd. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
swallow a bullet

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
just have fun, before you know it it will be over and you'll wish you had said a few things you didn't

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
be sure to make a bunch of off the cuff jokes

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
Try not to poo poo your pants, alternatively, just poo poo your pants from the moment you step up to the podium, to the moment you finish, just a constant stream of poop running down your pant leg interspersed with the wettest farts on earth.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

all good suggestions so far, swallowing a bullet is on top at the moment.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Rehearse a lot, do it in front of the mirror and in front of other people. Know your material, you can't practice enough imo.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

bud dwyer that poo poo op

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Make a PowerPoint presentation, bring VGA-compatible projector, let the PowerPoint do the dirty work for you.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
masturbate before, during and after the presentation

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Melmac posted:

Make a PowerPoint presentation, bring VGA-compatible projector, let the PowerPoint do the dirty work for you.

already doing that, bullet points and fancy vector graphics only take you so far though!

hmm maybe should've done a video, that would've eaten up at least 3-4 minutes.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
put in a slide thats just goatseand is only there for like1/4 of a second and nobody will know that it was goatse but you and it will give you confidence

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
poo poo onto your own hands, rub aforementioned poo poo all over your head whilst shrieking Bjork songs in reverse.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
you dont look at the audience. you look at some imaginary point in the back. try not to choose an eyeline that someone sitting in it or that person will get extremely uncomfortable. or do.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LegoPirateNinja posted:

you dont look at the audience. you look at some imaginary point in the back. try not to choose an eyeline that someone sitting in it or that person will get extremely uncomfortable. or do.

no you have to look down the entire time so your audience knows you have reverence for the situation it also shows youre very humble which chicks/dudes really like so youll probably get laid

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Get shitfaced drunk and let everyone there know exactly how you feel.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
None of your slides should have more than 10 words on them. Make the presentation about you, and the slides a backdrop that adds credibility. Steve Jobs keynote addresses are a good reference.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
pretend its a roast and insult the head person in the event over and over again

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
get a doctor to prescribe you a few doses of propranolol

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dress like that guy from Aurora, Colorado as a statement on bias and unfair expectations. Be sure to bring a duffel bag full of weapons for full effect.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

DetroitVectorSmooth posted:

get a doctor to prescribe you a few doses of propranolol

funnily enough, did that last time and...eh...

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Talk loud enough for everyone to hear. Readjust your balls if they need air. Godspeed.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Piss your pants. There's nobody who won't laugh. Gets everyone in a good mood.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Get a vasectomy a few hours before so that you throw up from the pain of standing for too long.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
take a xanax before

BoobFarts
Apr 14, 2014
Practice progressive muscle relaxation and mindful breathing to help you relax.

Try to focus on the positive. What about doing this can you et excited about.. Being calm is still about the possibility of disaster (just negated).

What's the worse that could happen?

How would a compassionate friend (or you if you were being compash to a friend) help you though this, would they say before, during. You can have that imagery compassionate person reassuring you while you do it.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Don't get too stressed. Take frequent breaks from preparing for the presentation, and spend some "Me time" polishing up your resume.

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
15 minutes is laughable, spend 3-5 minutes on each slide, the slide should illustrate your point, not make it (they're there to hear you talk not read lengthy bullets), relax, have the points you want to make listed on an index card and don't gently caress up

there, you're now a tour de force

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Mad Monk posted:

Get shitfaced drunk and let everyone there know exactly how you feel.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
no one cares man

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

king salmon posted:

take a xanax before

take 4

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
just suck your own dick on stage. or someone elses dick, i dunno. but the important thing is to leverage your core competency of performing public fellatio.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
Practice and develop a deep seated loathing for your audience. Speak to them as if they are all unwashed illiterate peasants who should be grateful for the opportunity to gaze upon your glorious visage.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

misread thread title as "penetration in front of large crowd tomorrow"

none of my advice applies

ignore all of this

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Go through your entire presentation at least once out loud. It doesn't matter if it's in front of the mirror or your cat or the wall. Doing it once will allow you to stumble through it and think about what you meant to say. I would do my speeches in the car while driving to school for speech class. I aced that class and I'm absolutely poo poo talking off the cuff.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
shear your balls and taint

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pretend that there is one person in the middle of the crowd who asked you the questions that your talk is going to answer. You're trying to help him understand the information, and he just happens to be out there in the middle of the group. You can even pick out someone before you start and pretend its that person. Just make sure to look around and not focus on them once you get started.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

practice this op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4m5HLVwsco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Practice. Like poemdexter, I used to do them in the car and still do if I have to give a presentation.

Also, take a breath or two and CHILL in the second or so when you're out there but haven't started speaking.

• Locked thread