Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Tommunist posted:

Gotta agree with Pope here, this comes across as really dumb/weird.

I will take dumb or weird.

Gabriel Pope posted:

I disagree:

is way too defeatist. Newbie scum really, really hate being called out and get frustrated very quickly. One early vote and one nonvoting cast of suspicion should not be enough to throw your hands in the air and give up--and for town players it usually isn't.

Biaga, if you're not scum the best way to prove it is by making useful scumhunting contributions, not just jokeposting. Stir things up, poke at people, get some reactions, do work son.

First part, this is not my first werewolf style game but it is my first real push into playing without face to face interaction. Continually I know at this rate I will either be dead in the first day or the first night.

Also, you don't think I have already stirred the pot? (abeit unintentionally).

Personally I would start to look at the people who on the first day are prepared to draw blood. The town gains nothing by cutting out members, especially at a time where there is no real proof of alignment outside of speculation and suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
(On a side note, do we have any idea of roles in this game? Is there a standard deviation or is it all up to the game master?)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Biaga posted:

First part, this is not my first werewolf style game but it is my first real push into playing without face to face interaction. Continually I know at this rate I will either be dead in the first day or the first night.

Personally I would start to look at the people who on the first day are prepared to draw blood. The town gains nothing by cutting out members, especially at a time where there is no real proof of alignment outside of speculation and suggestion.

##vote Biaga

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

No lynching is giving the scum team a free day. Advocating a no lynch is scummy as hell.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Biaga posted:

(On a side note, do we have any idea of roles in this game? Is there a standard deviation or is it all up to the game master?)

No, we don't - it's a closed-setup game, unlike the last one you and I played (Emoji).

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SirSamVimes posted:

No lynching is giving the scum team a free day. Advocating a no lynch is scummy as hell.

No it isn't. Taste does it all the time and you don't call him scummy on D1.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

No it isn't. Taste does it all the time and you don't call him scummy on D1.

How is a no-lynch on d1 anything but giving scum a head start? I'm genuinely curious to hear your reasoning.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

Even if the lynch ends up taking out a townie, it reveals a lot of information townies can use to figure out who really is scum. I can't really think of a situation where a no-lynch helps town.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Biaga posted:

Lynching happens to be the best way to get proof of alignment and gives us a wealth of information to use on subsequent days. A no-lynch means that we head into D2 with barely more information than D1, except we're down a member.

No-lynching is not guaranteed to buy us any additional time, either, since with an even number of players the mafia will win tie votes and endgame us after the same amount of time as if we had lynched.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
That said, Biaga is starting to read more as clueless than scummy. I don't think he's in the clear but I don't want to turbo a new player. Several people still haven't even posted since the start.

##unvote

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I don't like the idea of no-lynching on D1 just because town is averse to losing members. You'd enter D2 with no real information, and then you'd be back where you started. Would you end up no-lynching again on D2 because you didn't have any new information?

It's nearly impossible for town to go through a game of Mafia without losing people. That's why there's more town players than scum players.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
There are certain instances where no lynching D1 is mathematically the best option on paper, but in practice it almost never works out (note this is specifically about closed setups, open setups are a slightly different ballgame)

Examples:
when you have an even number of players to start (since it takes an extra vote to execute - you no lynch and just pretend D2 is D1 with the added bonus of a night of actions and 1 flip. of course there could be 2 kills and welp you're right back where you started)
when you have an inordinately high number of investigative roles on town's side (since you get an extra night "for free", but this scenario almost always impossible to prove, and the scum will probably have things to gently caress with your night actions anyway)

No lynching late game is certainly viable and in fact is the objectively best decision in certain scenarios, but no lynching early is almost always A Bad Idea.

-----

That being said, a newbie advocating a no lynch is more of a town tell than a scum tell, because a newbie is likely to be asking questions in the scum doc and getting "coached" into what not to say, so to speak. If someone asks about no lynches in a scum doc, chances are they will be told not to mention it

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Kumbamontu posted:

That being said, a newbie advocating a no lynch is more of a town tell than a scum tell, because a newbie is likely to be asking questions in the scum doc and getting "coached" into what not to say, so to speak. If someone asks about no lynches in a scum doc, chances are they will be told not to mention it

But with a newbie, there's always the chance they might blurt without asking, or misinterpret coaching.

Hell, if we want to get really tinfoil, they may have been coached to make a blunder, so someone can talk them out of it, and get them through day 1 with an aura of "newbie town" about them....

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not usually a fan of invoking occam's razor when it comes to what people do in a game of mafia, but I'm going to invoke occam's razor here

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

How is a no-lynch on d1 anything but giving scum a head start? I'm genuinely curious to hear your reasoning.

I'm not saying no lynching is good, I'm saying that asking about no lynching, especially for a newbie, is not scummy as hell like Kash is trying portray.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

I'm not saying no lynching is good, I'm saying that asking about no lynching, especially for a newbie, is not scummy as hell like Kash is trying portray.

Mafia edit - Like SSV is trying to portray. Not Kash. Kash's vote is bad for a different reason.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
I didn't mean for the third idea to be taken completely seriously, I was just pointing out that his blunder by no means makes him verified town. So far Biga's still the best candidate for a lynch in my book.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Kash, what are your thoughts on Bagia? Still think he's scummy as hell?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Yes.

Biaga posted:

If I was serious about calling you a scum I would have voted. I know nothing about you, besides the few brief posts in this game so far, and all your posts of which are pretty much feeler posts and fluff to get the thread going.

Biaga posted:

These posts still feel scummy as hell. Especially The town gains nothing by cutting out members, especially at a time where there is no real proof of alignment outside of speculation and suggestion.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

Yes.

These posts still feel scummy as hell. Especially The town gains nothing by cutting out members, especially at a time where there is no real proof of alignment outside of speculation and suggestion.

Why? It's wrong, but why is it scummy?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
After resigning himself to accusation and death (twice now) he then states it's a bad idea to start killing people d1.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
You guys are seeing shadows, but I think that's your point at this rate.

Vote and get it over with, you're just going to be down a townie.

Kashuno posted:

Yes.

The first day is all about increasing tension, there is no reason for it except to build the game up. By pitching people against each other on the first day you have people chasing their tails and blaming each other and increasing group distrust.

I get that it's the point. We will see how this game goes.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
The defeatist "but I could totally help" attitude just comes across as scummy to me.

##vote Biaga##

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
Ill take the hit, but before I go I am going to call it. Kashuno is scum.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Biaga posted:

Ill take the hit, but before I go I am going to call it. Kashuno is scum.

You're not even halfway to hammer. Why do you think Kash is scummy? You practically dared us to vote you.

Biaga posted:

If I say yes, you will think I am a scum. if I say no you will still think I am scum.

Either way, I think your mind is made.

Vote if your so confident.

I'd like to see your casework.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

did i sleep/work through jokephase? good

lemme catch up

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

You seem to be in a real hurry to get hammered, Biaga.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Like I get that it's dismaying to be targeted, but you're just kind of rolling over on this.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Green Intern posted:

You seem to be in a real hurry to get hammered, Biaga.

More like people seem to be in a real hurry to jump on a new guy for what basically amounts to awkwardness.

He's got one thing right, Kash is scum.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

biaga is new and i think y'all are being too hard on him atm, lemme get a gooder read though

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Green Intern posted:

[Nothing Relevant]

Just so you know, your name is nearly identical to my local pizza place, and the guy biting the snake looks like he's eating pizza for a split second.
Now you've made me want pizza.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Biaga posted:

Townie talk, ie tying to look townie to early in the game. I smell scum.

assuming this is a joke but only because it's during joke phase? it doesn't read like one. later claims it's sarcastic, i think, but i'm having a hard time reading it that way

Biaga posted:

day 1 is nothing but jokeposting as far as I can tell.

Being my second game I know a lot about mafia.

Seems like a weird post coming off Emoji mafia. There was a lot of jokeposting d1 but there was also legitimate content generated which led to us hitting Scum d1 (and me cop-investigating the other Scum n1). Saying day one is "nothing but jokeposting" reads disingenuous to me but I'll admit this is really reaching

Biaga posted:

If I say yes, you will think I am a scum. if I say no you will still think I am scum.

Either way, I think your mind is made.

Vote if your so confident.

getting hella defensive here

Biaga posted:

reads like trying to suggest a no-hang d1? others have explained why this is bad logic but I feel it bears repeating that it's not necessarily scum logic.

Back when I was first learning about mafia it seemed far more logical to me to hold off on hanging anybody d1 because i mean how could you really know? maybe we should wait for the power roles and and and -- but nah, you gotta realize the vote/hang is the main weapon town has. so long as nobody's lurking and everyone is posting content, you get a lot of information from the flip, even if you mis-hang and hit town. No-hanging essentially gives the scum a free nightkill and often results in d2 feeling like a d1 redux which sucks

Would not vote biaga off what he's posted currently. He reads like an overly-defensive newbie who's never been targeted by a case before and seems to think death is inevitable because of it, and I think we can do better than hanging a newbie d1

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

but the more important question isn't who i wouldn't chump d1, it's who i would. lemme get right on that

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Kashuno is trying way too hard, but he seems confident in his convictions. I find Hermetic's opportunism a lot more eyebrow-raising:

Hermetic posted:

But with a newbie, there's always the chance they might blurt without asking, or misinterpret coaching.

Hell, if we want to get really tinfoil, they may have been coached to make a blunder, so someone can talk them out of it, and get them through day 1 with an aura of "newbie town" about them....

Hermetic posted:

I didn't mean for the third idea to be taken completely seriously, I was just pointing out that his blunder by no means makes him verified town. So far Biga's still the best candidate for a lynch in my book.

Hermetic posted:

The defeatist "but I could totally help" attitude just comes across as scummy to me.

##vote Biaga##

Kashuno jumped on the Biaga vote ASAP, but Heremetic waited for it to conveniently build up some steam before joining in, then tries to stoke things up again when the fire starts to die down. With the weirdest, craziest theory I've ever seen, no less, then backpedaling when it's pointed out how crazy it is.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Gabriel Pope posted:

Kashuno is trying way too hard, but he seems confident in his convictions. I find Hermetic's opportunism a lot more eyebrow-raising:

Kashuno jumped on the Biaga vote ASAP, but Heremetic waited for it to conveniently build up some steam before joining in, then tries to stoke things up again when the fire starts to die down. With the weirdest, craziest theory I've ever seen, no less, then backpedaling when it's pointed out how crazy it is.

Or I've been busy IRL today, so I'm not posting a lot. I waited around to hear the arguments on Biagra (since I'm a tad hesitant on lynching someone new myself), and finally made a decision based on arguments and evidence, like a rational person might do.

Oh, and I never backpedaled. As you'll notice, I pointed out that the third theory was "full tinfoil", which I assumed made it fairly obvious that it wasn't meant to be wholly serious.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
"really tinfoil", not "full tinfoil". My mistake.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Hermetic posted:

harsh stance towards a newbie freaking out about being attacked, while at the same time self-describing as a "relative newbie" here

Once taken seriously, backs off somewhat but still thinks the logic itself is sound

Hermetic posted:

and in their next post takes Biaga's defeatism as scum? what?

Hermetic posted:

##vote Biaga##

:psyduck: Now this might just be a me thing but I have absolutely no idea how to read defeatism as scummy, rather than just as newbie upset.

Disagree on the backpedaling point because Hermetic just hasn't posted enough to backpedal -- if anything, they've followed through on the statements they've made by voting for biaga. (preview edit: hi hermetic)

Would vote, but I think there's probably a better candidate

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Someone Awful! posted:

harsh stance towards a newbie freaking out about being attacked, while at the same time self-describing as a "relative newbie" here

Once taken seriously, backs off somewhat but still thinks the logic itself is sound

and in their next post takes Biaga's defeatism as scum? what?

:psyduck: Now this might just be a me thing but I have absolutely no idea how to read defeatism as scummy, rather than just as newbie upset.

Disagree on the backpedaling point because Hermetic just hasn't posted enough to backpedal -- if anything, they've followed through on the statements they've made by voting for biaga. (preview edit: hi hermetic)

Would vote, but I think there's probably a better candidate

Hi Someone Awful!

It's less the defeatism being scummy, but the tone of it. Like he's feigning defeatism and trying to get us to back off. He has an attitude of "Go ahead and lynch me...BUT YOU'LL BE SORRY!" It feels a tad off to me.

I do agree that there are better candidates, though keeping me on your scumdar isn't the worst idea. My lack of posting and appearance of bandwagoning is a bit scummy, I admit.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

SirSamVimes posted:

##vote Biaga

SirSamVimes posted:

This seems really abrupt and not terribly well supported, SSV. Biaga comes off as defensive and a bit :smith: about having a couple of votes on them. Without enough evidence to launch a case on somebody the only other real option for self preservation is suggesting a no lynch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Kumbamontu posted:

i have a magic wand up my sleeve that shoots fireballs. i'm going to use it on the next person who posts, so if you'd like to stay alive don't post

Kumbamontu posted:

YOU HAVE FALLEN FOR MY TRAP...

...of trying to generate content. Kashuno is probably town, as a member of the scumteam is highly unlikely to put their neck out on the line after a threat of a vig. I do not actually have a vig.

these two posts stand out as weird to me, even for jokephase

Kumbamontu posted:

I am probing for reactions, nothing is set in stone! For instance, I think this reaction of yours is on the town spectrum of reactions. Scum are typically, psychologically speaking, prone to self-consciousness, and thus when posed with the question of "Are you scum?" they are more likely to answer with very short responses like a simple no. Your answer seemed to exhibit actual thought, though shallow (which is fine - the question couldn't get any shallower), which is more likely to come from a member of the town, in my opinion.

yeah that's right, D1 psuedo-effort post WHAT

the thought process here is sound (and i agree with it. make content make content post post post :justpost: ) but i don't think it necessarily makes kumba town; if i were scum I'd probably try to get people off the Biaga lynch because it's a case on a newbie and seems too easy/opportunistic, so i'd maybe earn some townie brownie points for it

i dunno, i agree with almost everything kumba has posted but my gut feels like he's scummy. why this? i don't know??? Like I can't even defend this read it's entirely gut and unsubstantiated

• Locked thread