Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

The major problem with computer games is they can simulate a lot more stuff that a human would take hours to process.

Like nation-building games like the ones Paradox uses are cool, but gently caress you if you think I'll sit there while a million other people's lives have to be rolled for the next turn to begin.

Video games are just a different kind of beast, especially since they've become more like interactive movies than an actual game.

Different beasts, sure, but they're at the same zoo; if we want people to care about our weird dice animals when Halo is the next cage over, we need to figure out what's special about it, what to focus on.

I do think this is a big part of the recent rise in games where the rules all revolve around story development, rather than traditional 'gameplay'. If we want to play a game, we can usually get a better experience out of a computer. If we want to see a story happen, the best tools for that are still arguably tabletop RPGs. Jury's out as to which ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I chose my words carefully, but apparently not successfully. What I mean is, with a Bioware game, you're watching a story. It might be a good story, you might like it, it might be a garbage story that you hate, whatever. The point is, the story has already happened. Some people wrote it, you're going through it. With a tabletop RPG, the story is coming together and being created as you play. This isn't equally true for all RPGs, you're probably going to get more unexpected improv out of Prime Time Adventures or the like than you will from a bog-standard DnD dungeon crawl, but this is something that I think tabletop RPGs at their best are still better at than computer games at their best.

I mean, the computer game that springs to mind when I say 'see a story being created before your eyes' is Dwarf Fortress, and that's not nothing, but it pretty consistently produces farce.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Rafferty posted:

In Kane & Lynch 2, a naked man holding a hostage can completely reload a pistol just by twirling it around his finger!

Hostages are well known for their deep reserves of ammunition and limitless desire to give it to their captors

• Locked thread