Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

www posted:

wololo

Habidacus!
e: :hist101:

Carlos Lantana fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Millennials got ADHD and poo poo, nobody got time for RTS no more :(
sorry you can't keep up with the cool kids now that your reaction time is in the seconds, gramps :rolleyes:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have a little more nostalgia for AoE 1 but 2 is also cool and good, plus unlike 1 you can find a version of 2 that runs on modern machines.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

that's the game with more incest than game of thrones, right?

no thats crusader kings

also good but totally different

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015

Nigmaetcetera posted:

that's the game with more incest than game of thrones, right?

IIRC you could marry your daughter, have a daughter, kill your daughter, marry your daughter again. It was wack.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

tetsuo posted:

refresh my memory weren't there a few completely broken civs that got banned from competitive play

DM ARABIA NO TURKS/KOREANS

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

no it was half-life 1

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
saracens best dm civ castle clump and pump out mamelukes and murder the poo poo out of hun paladins jajajaja.

really really good galleons too +20% firing speed so good on water maps.

i dont even think they even got economy bonuses so its like they were basically made to be really good at post imp dm

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

i think in competitive aoe2 play nowadays everyone just picks mongols or aztecs depending on the map

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Trebuchets ruin the game. 0/10

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3h0ym2s0mE

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
There's still a bunch of people playing aoe2, they had a $120k tournament recently

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

age of kings heaven :rip:

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I never got into the Age of Empires series, OP, but between Civ and Total War games I can get pretty into empire-building/fighting games with varied emphasis on building and fighting.

Did AoE II age well? Is there a newer one that's any good?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
empire earth was v good too i spent a lot of time playing it as a kid

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I never got into the Age of Empires series, OP, but between Civ and Total War games I can get pretty into empire-building/fighting games with varied emphasis on building and fighting.

Did AoE II age well? Is there a newer one that's any good?

newer aoes are trash, there was recently an HD version of aoe 2 released on steam

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
I regularly play with friends over steam. We got split up (studying in other countries).
Random land map, random civ, ffa. :)

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TEAYCHES posted:

age of kings heaven :rip:

mrfixitonline :rip:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
the original teutonic town center was the most overpowered offensive/defensive resource collection point in any strategy game with the POSSIBLE exception of the original undead Halls of the dead/black citadel death star when they could deal 40-50+ (non-cold) damage every second with their superlaser.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
An extremely good game

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Grimarest posted:

I regularly play with friends over steam. We got split up (studying in other countries).
Random land map, random civ, ffa. :)

you should play shimo style. regicide, unlocked teams, non fixed teams, standard settings. form alliances and then break them and murder their fat little king in a drive by ramming

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
empire earth was much more epic in scale but used the same mechanics as aoe so it was harder imo, it got really tough keeping track of all your poo poo if you were playing on those huge maps

the b-52 nukers and using prophets to sink modern navies was fun

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

empire earth was the epitome of "guy with spear takes out a tank"

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I thought empire earth was that sciencetology thing

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Nooner posted:

I thought empire earth was that sciencetology thing

thats battlefield earth

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Oh you're right

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
rogan....

erectus

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I played AOK back on heat.net and I used Teutons, Koreans or Mongols depending on how I wanted to grief my opponents

I regret nothing

e:

hard counter fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 29, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Tks were fun but even with squires just too drat slow but you could put them in an apc and use them as living siege engines and keep the villies from hacking your ram to bits

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Wow op I've been playing a lot of vanilla aoe2 (no hd, no expansions) lately and it baffles me how modern rts still fails to be close to as good as aoe2.good thread

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

hard counter posted:

I played AOK back on heat.net and I used Teutons, Koreans or Mongols depending on how I wanted to grief my opponents

I regret nothing

e:

a good british player could stutter step the gently caress out of teutons to death though. or cav archers

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Casimir Radon posted:

One is a wise old king, the other is a dumbass prince who loses.:eng101:

well dog my cats

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

C-Euro posted:

I have a little more nostalgia for AoE 1 but 2 is also cool and good, plus unlike 1 you can find a version of 2 that runs on modern machines.

wrong, I can run AOE1 on Windows 10 np with the gold Rise of Rome edition

if Microsoft does one thing stupidly obsessively well it's backwards compatibility

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015
My favourite 4x game is Imperialism, just thought you'd all like to know.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

pepperoni pizza
pow
bigbertha
photon mane
e=cm2 trooper
bigdaddy
bigmomma

god drat its sad i still remember those like 20 years later

aoe1 had the best loving cheats ever. baby with a shotgun on a tricycle? you don't see this poo poo in games anymore :(

My email address is photonman. I loved that cheat. I loved that game.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I can't play this anymore because there is no attack move button.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

patrol works as attack move

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I liked the one where you got to play as Greeks too but like the cool Greeks where you could lightening people and poo poo

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

While teuton griefing had more to do with TC dirty tricks before conquerors came out

Xaris posted:

a good british player could stutter step the gently caress out of teutons to death though. or cav archers

that's kind of a trick too, since TKs wreck nearly everything in melee but still tank arrows nicely you can build hard counter units to archers/cav archers/whatever if you know your enemy's civ. A sneaky onager will level a stack of longbowman in one or two hits for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
I used to lure boars to my TC faster than mods lure children into vans.

• Locked thread