Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
Yesterday it was sunday and I spent all day and night killing time watching documentaries while waiting for the blood moon. Now I’m out. What are some good ones? To provide a little bit of content myself, I’m adding a few of the more famous ones I’ve seen to the OP. Please only suggest documentaries you’ve seen yourself and enjoyed. I’m using descriptions from around the web and adding something personal to each of them, feel free to do the same with your suggestions. I’m also adding youtube links, if the documentary is available and in good quality on youtube. Take the first two I’m recommending, Anvil! The Story of Anvil is on youtube, but the quality is terrible, whereas Jiro Dreams of Sushi is on youtube in perfect HD, but it’s lacking English subtitles and as such is completely useless unless you speak Japanese.

Now begins the effort posting:

Anvil! The Story of Anvil (2009)
Canadian heavy-metal band Anvil delivered a highly influential 1982 album that would inspire the likes of Anthrax and Metallica, and then dropped off the map to begin what would become decades of toiling in obscurity. Director and former roadie Sacha Gervasi follows guitarist Steve "Lips" Kudlow and drummer Robb Reiner as they stumble through a harrowing European tour and reflect on failure, friendship, resilience and the will to follow even the most impossible of dreams. This is an absolutely fantastic documentary for so many reasons and I’d recommend it even if you don’t care for heavy-metal, it’s both funny, entertaining and moving.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2012)
Revered sushi chef Jiro Ono strives for perfection in his work, while his eldest son, Yoshikazu, has trouble living up to his father's legacy. You don’t have to be a weeaboo, a chef or a health food nut to enjoy this zen meditation on japanese cooking, but I’d venture that you probably do need to like raw fish. Jiro Dreams of Sushi is without a doubt the best documentary I’ve seen on food, it’s beautifully shot and it’ll leave you hungry for sushi and in despair of your own culinary efforts.

Capturing the Friedmans (2003)
While preparing a documentary about children's birthday party entertainers, filmmaker Andrew Jarecki learned that one of his subjects, professional clown David Friedman, was the son and brother of two men who had been convicted of child sexual abuse in a high-profile 1980s criminal trial. I love a good crime doc and this is one of the better ones and it doesn’t suffer from batman-like narration and shite photo montages. It’s by the same guy who did The Jinx on HBO, so if you’re hungering for something like Serial or The Jinx, this is the way to go. See it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaatTnsx9-s

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (2005)
This documentary explores the fall of the Enron Corporation, arguably the most shocking example of modern corporate corruption. The company is linked with several illegal schemes, including instigating the California energy crisis as a way to drive up utility prices at the expense of the average American. This documentary is a bit of a mind gently caress, in so far as it’ll make you go how the gently caress did it get this far :) It’s deeply unsettling and also somehow seductive due to the vast, vast amounts of money generated/stolen by Enron. Check it out if you’re not sure you’d enjoy a documentary on finance, but you’re willing to give it a shot. See it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFJ-hcst8Pg

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters (2007)
I’m betting most of you have already seen this one. Named "Video Game Player of the Century" in 1999, Billy Mitchell sets a record score in "Donkey Kong" that many felt would never be broken. In 2003 Steve Wiebe, who has recently lost his job, learns about the record, sets out to beat it and does. So both men embark on a cross-country battle for inclusion in the 2007 Guinness Book of World Records as the supreme king of the electronic game. This is an epic story with good guys and bad guys and there really isn’t anything else like it. It’s geeky and very much a made for gbs documentary, but not so geeky your wife or girlfriend wouldn’t enjoy it. It’s a tale as old as time, set in middle of the 00s with two middle-aged men obsessed with an arcade game from the 80s. See it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4v15X8Px34

The Act Of Killing (2013)
Probably another goon favourite. Filmmakers expose the horrifying mass executions of accused communists in Indonesia and those who are celebrated in their country for perpetrating the crime. I won’t say much about this one other than to watch it if you haven’t already.

Exit Through The Gift Shop (2010)
Aaaand one more probable goon seen doc. British graffiti street artist Banksy has literally left his mark on cities throughout the world. He comes in contact with Thierry Guetta, a Los Angeles-based Frenchman who videotapes various underground art escapades, and later is transformed into an art phenomenon dubbed "Mr. Brainwash." Rhys Ifans narrates an overlapping documentary where the line between what is real and what might be fake blurs, as modern art and celebrity are put under the microscope. See it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYL8vdjeh3Y This one is quite fun, but I’m guessing you already know that. So what I’ll say instead is that if you enjoyed watching how gallerists scramble to make a buck, you’ll also enjoy Ben Lewis’ The Great Contemporary Art Bubble (2008) - From the web: The film shows the consolidation of money and power in an unregulated art market, in which the collusion of collectors, galleries, and artists is firmly enmeshed in the web of finance capital. Lewis introduces the reality principle into this game of smoke and mirrors.

Searching for Sugar Man (2012)
Widely popular at the time of release, Searching for Sugar Man tells the story of musician Sixto Rodriguez. Though he faded into obscurity in the U.S., an early '70s musician known as Rodriguez became a huge hit in South Africa and was widely rumored to have died. Two obsessed fans set out to learn the man's true fate. Good music and a good story. Well worth a watch, it chronicles the life of the second faded-into-nothing musician on this list.

Chasing Ice (2012)
I could watch pictures of glaciers for hours. They’re enormous, gigantic even, and they slowly melt away. James Balog and his team on the Extreme Ice Survey assemble a multiyear chronicle of the planet's rapidly melting glaciers. This is a visual representation of the effects of global warming and ironically it’s pretty chilling.

Citizenfour (2014)
After Laura Poitras received encrypted emails from someone with information on the government's massive covert-surveillance programs, she and reporter Glenn Greenwald flew to Hong Kong to meet the sender, who turned out to be Edward Snowden. It feels extremely weird to watch two journalists question Snowden not knowing who he is, they’re clearly suspicious of both his paranoia and of his story, but as it slowly unfurls and the story turns into what we now know from the media, it becomes quite a thrill watching this story of extreme whistle blowing come into being.

Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief (2015)
Probably one of the most talked about documentaries released this year. Filmmaker Alex Gibney interviews former members of the Church of Scientology and reveals abuses and strange practices within the controversial organization. Everyone hates Scientology on the internet and this film will reenforce your hatred and make you feel special for having told people YEARS ago that Scientology is an evil cult.

Paradise Lost trilogy (1996/2000/2011)
Three documentaries on three teenagers, who are accused of the horrific crime of killing three children, supposedly as a result of involvement in Satanism. However, things turn out to be more complex than initial appearances and this film presents the real-life courtroom drama to the viewer, as it unfolds. These three documentaries tell the story of what seems to be a miscarriage of justice with a backdrop of the whole fear of cults thing that ran through the media in the 90s. All three appear to be on youtube.

The Thin Blue Line (1988)
One of the classic crime docs. One night in November 1976, after his car breaks down on a road outside Dallas, Randall Dale Adams accepts a ride from teenager David Harris. Harris is driving a stolen vehicle and, later that night, when Dallas police officer Robert Wood pulls the car over to check its headlights, he is shot and killed. A jury believes Adams is the killer, but Errol Morris' classic documentary explores the role of Harris' perjured testimony, misleading witness accounts and police misconduct in the verdict. What with the recent spade of policebashing both here and elsewhere, this documentary feels more relevant with each passing riot. Watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2-3McbAxVk

Hands on a Hard Body: The Documentary (1997)
This is a dumb one, but I still kinda love it. Filmmaker S.R. Bindler profiles Texas contestants trying to win a truck by keeping one hand on it longer than everyone else. It’s funny to watch these people psych each other out, endure, fail and triumph all around a single truck. Most documentaries probably should be seen sober, but this one might the exception.

This guy: Louis Theroux
Louis Theroux is an English documentary filmmaker and broadcaster. He is best known for his documentaries in the television series Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends and When Louis Met..., as well as his BBC Two specials. All Louis’ documentaries are pretty good. He’s got an unusual deadpan interview style, which sometimes makes him seem a little bit like an alien who’s landed on Earth and roped in a BBC camera crew to help him explore this weird planet of ours. Tons of his stuff is on youtube, and I’d advise you to start with his first shows Weird Weekends, where he spends time with some pretty interesting characters, such as Born Again Christians, UFO-fanatics, Swingers, Wrestlers and Indian Gurus. Unless you’re British, you can probably skip his When Louie met… series and head straight for his relatively new BBC specials.

Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus (2003)
Another music doc. Traveling through the American South, documentarian Andrew Douglas trains his lens on Jim White, an alternative-country musician, as he performs in venues that range in variety from churches to coal mines. During this journey, White shares his experience of growing up in the Deep South, while Douglas interviews a number of other Southern musicians, artists and writers, attempting to gain a perspective on a unique culture that is often overlooked. It features the music of Jim White, Johnny Dowd, The Handsome Family, David Eugene Edwards of 16 Horsepower, Rev. Gary Howlington, The Singing Hall Sisters, David Johansen, Melissa Swingle and Lee Sexton. The other side of the white trash coin, this film portrays the landscape of the south as mystical and filled with music.

Stories We Tell (2012)
Families create their own narratives. Stories are passed on from generation to generation, and in this way the past continues to live, but it can also be obscured or distorted. I don’t really know what else to say about this other than I enjoyed it. It’s about truth in personal storytelling and all that entails.

The Staircase (2004)
The high-profile murder trial of novelist Michael Peterson, from a 911 call to the verdict. This is a long one. It’ll take probably 10 hours to finish, but what starts as a little tedious quickly becomes quite engrossing, not unlike how Shoah (1985) at first seems incredibly long, but then the hours just melt away. If you like crime and courtroom drama, this is the big one. I was recommend it here on SA and I was not disappointed. In fact, this is probably the documentary that led me to starting this thread. This documentary also inspired the podcast Serial.

This guy: Werner Herzog
kinda all his documentaries: Into the Abyss, Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Encounters at the End of the World, Grizzly Man, The White Diamond, Little Dieter Needs to Fly and My Best Fiend. If you liked Grizzly Man, go watch some of Herzogs other documentaries, they’re all pretty good. The White Diamond is a favourite of mine.

Room 237 (2013)
I love Kubrick, but this one takes the cake. Filmmaker Rodney Asch analyzes Stanley Kubrick's film adaptation of Stephen King's classic horror novel, "The Shining”. This documentary features a whole bunch of obsessives who obsess endlessly over Kubricks The Shining and if you like that movie, you’ll love this one too. Think Žižek, but without an actual cultural philosophy degree and just plain geek obsession and you’ll be pretty close to picturing some of the nuts featured in this fantastic homage to The Shining. Watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEbYMLWR0wI

The Final Member (2013)
An Icelandic documentary. The curator of the world's only penis museum tries to complete his collection by locating a human donor. Is this documentary as good as it could have been? Probably not, but if like me and all the rest of gbs you’ll say “i’m gay” to just about any question, a documentary about a penis collecting icelander should have you sitting throbbingly glued to the screen. Watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwunCSYZk4c

Mechanical Love (2007)
Mechanical Love is a 2007 documentary by filmmaker Phie Ambo about Hiroshi Ishiguro and his work on robots that resemble humans. This film is great, it moves in parallel between a nursing home in Germany and a professor of robotics in Japan, trying to show the answers robotics have come up with in relation to loneliness and lack of love. Watch an old grandma cuddle a mechanical seal to the chagrin of her peers and a Japanese man attempting to telecommunicate with his family through a robot, while at the same time locking himself in his office every time he’s actually home.

Marwencol (2010)
After recovering from a brutal attack that left him in a coma, Mark Hogencamp builds a miniature World War II-era town in his backyard and creates photographic stories of its intrigues. This is quite a moving film. Mark Hogencamp has been completely battered, to be quite honest, and the film explores how he deals with his attack by creating these elaborate miniature scenes. Great stuff.

Alone in the wilderness (2004)
Documentary tells the story of Dick Proenneke who, in the late 1960s, built his own cabin in the wilderness at the base of the Aleutian Peninsula, in what is now Lake Clark National Park. Using color footage he shot himself, Proenneke traces how he came to this remote area, selected a homestead site and built his log cabin completely by himself. The documentary covers his first year in-country, showing his day-to-day activities and the passing of the seasons as he sought to scratch out a living alone in the wilderness. There’s a lot of talk about slow journalism, the slow movement, slow documentaries etc, and this is a fantastic one, though it follows in the step of other slow documentaries like the Norwegian Bergensbanen (2009) (in which a train travels through the norwegian landscape from bergen to Oslo for 7 hours) more by accident than anything else. Still, it’s a fascinating glimpse into the life of a man who puts all goons to shame. Watch this to both feel bad about yourself, better about the world and to make you want to leave everything behind. You could probably follow this up with re-runs of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstalls first two seasons of River Cottage, but that would be cheating.

The Red Chapel (2009)
Two Danish comics adopted from South Korea and a filmmaker go to North Korea disguised as a vaudeville act with the goal of ridiculing the nation's oppressive laws and customs. This is a superb documentary on satire and on life north korea. The entire trip is a ruse: the trio are actually trying to get a chance to portray the absurdity of the pantomime life they are forced to lead in the DPRK. If you can find this, it’s well worth a watch. it’s on youtube, quality could be better, but I’m adding it anyway as you might have trouble finding it elsewhere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBde7eTqwq0

Anyway, I hope you goons can help me find some more good ones :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
White Chicks (2004)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

super high me

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Junkfist posted:

White Chicks (2004)

Well, I did ask a mod for permission to post this in gbs, so I guess I asked for it :)

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Bill Cunningham New York
American Movie: The Making of Northwestern
Sir, No Sir

I could write about them but gently caress trying

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Ţ̘͉ͯ͑̉̐ͨh̡̓̈e̳̭͚͙̝̟͖ͩ͊̒̏ͨ ̷̓ͣ̿͋͊ͯͧW̳̼̜͔a̰̳͚̣̅ͬ͂y̭͔̟̭̅͒͑̆̓ͬͨ ͕̱̲ͮ̍̆̈͛͝ȯͧf̜͈̰͎͈̯̱̋ͭ̆̿̌̊̂ ̹͇͔͙̗̜Å͖͖l̘ͭͮͮ̓̿ͬ͜l͔̮̻ͪ̈ͨ̐ͤ͡ ̻͑̊͡F̜͙̓̿l͝e̳ͧ̽ͥ͠s͙̭͖̯̦͈̹ͪ̂ͭ͋̓͗h͚̆̏ͨ̊̓ͩ̀͡

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
All of Sir David Attenborough's nature documentaries are amazing both from a visual and a a narrative sense. I also enjoyed Never Sleep Again about the Freddie Kruger mythos and some behind the scenes glimpses about making the Elm Street movies.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I like the The Man Who Saw Tomorrow because when Orson Wells talked about stuff in the past he went "WOW look how on point this Nostradamus guy was!" but then they start talking about what's going to happen in the future and he says we're all going to be glow-in-the-dark Cannibal Warlords in the 1990s or some poo poo.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
From the Heart of the World - The Elder Brother's Warning - a 1992 documentary about the Kogi people, an indigenous ethnic group that lives in the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta in Colombia. Their civilization has continued since the Pre-Columbian era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq0kWs1q3hI

There was a sequel in 2012 called Aluna ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluna ) that is available on Netflix. I would suggest watching both.

tetsuo fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 28, 2015

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
^^^some good suggestions, looking forward to couch-potatoing it to these!! :)

corpuscollossus posted:

Bill Cunningham New York
Sir, No Sir

I could write about them but gently caress trying

Just steal from google and add a personal touch, it takes a second.

Bill Cunningham's New York (2010)
Bill Cunningham, one of the mainstays of the New York Times, has been a contributor to the renowned newspaper for many decades. He's also an incurable and eccentric chronicler of fashion, tirelessly snapping photos of and writing about interestingly attired celebrities and ordinary New Yorkers he spots on the street. It’s a good watch if you have any interest in fashion or photography, alternatively, and for more likely for goons, it’s probably also a good watch if you enjoy watching crotchety old men. See it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVEv8FoRzf0

In this cult-favorite documentary, Mark Borchardt, an aspiring filmmaker from a working-class Wisconsin background, is set on finishing his low-budget horror movie, despite a barrage of difficulties. Plagued by lack of cash, unreliable help and numerous personal problems, Mark wants to complete the film to raise funds for a more ambitious drama. With the assistance of his bumbling but loyal friend Mike Schank, Mark struggles to move forward, making for plenty of bittersweet moments. This is quite a nice documentary and I enjoyed it a lot more than the more famous Best Worst Movie (2009), so I’ll recommend this one too :)

Sir, No Sir
I haven’t seen this one, so I’ll check it out. Web description: In this documentary, celebrities such as Jane Fonda join their voices with veterans and soldiers to recount the largely suppressed antiwar movement that occurred within the United States military over the course of the Vietnam War. Using archival news footage and contemporary interviews with Vietnam veterans, the film discusses the G.I.s' growing distrust of the war and details the U.S. Army's swift, severe and often secret response to the expression of antiwar sentiments within its ranks.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Fred Dibnah was a p.cool guy

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
The Ambassador

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2048877/

Danish journalist Mads Brügger goes undercover as a Liberian Ambassador to embark on a dangerous yet hysterical journey to uncover the blood diamond trade in Africa.

Workingman's Death

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478331/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Documentary on hard manual labour in the 21st century.

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 28, 2015

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011
Into Great Silence is a 3+ hour documentary that follows the lives of the Carthsusian monks living at the Grande Chartreuse monastery high up in the French Alps over the course of a year. The director asked to film this project back in the 80's, but they told him they'd have to take some time to think about it. They finally wrote back to him sometime in the 2000's and said that they'd love to have him. The only catch was that he wasn't allowed to bring a film crew, so he had to do all of the camera work himself. The silence is stunning, and it makes the rare moments when it's broken all the more powerful. You can hear the rustle of every article of clothing, the turning of every page of a book, and the echo of every foot step quite vividly.

The Happy People by Werner Herzog is excellent. In a similar format. it follows the lives of Siberian trappers living out in the Taiga, a remote expanse of wilderness somewhere in Russia. These guys make everyone else on the planet look like pussies. Excellent watch.

Aug 4, 2010

if you like pinball Special When Lit is an interesting look at pinball and it's history and the people who collect them today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmYsexIiSvQ

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
You've Been Trumped

Donald trump doing his scooby doo villain thing in scotland, as the real estate guy scaring people off the land to build a golf course.

he didn't dress up as a ghost or anything, just standard 'buy and kick them out' tactics so that lost the doc a few points there.

Gasland

Fracking and setting fire to tap water, hijinks ensue.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Resurrect Dead is a pretty in-depth investigation of the Toynbee tiles, probably appealing to anyone interested in urban legends or just strange little mysteries.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Queen of Versailles is a great expose of the excesses of the rich and famous. Originally intended to be a documentary on the construction of the world's largest single family home, it became a record of the decline and fall of a wealthy real-estate mogul.
What's sickening is that even when they're "poor" they are still actually doing extremely well in terms of material possessions.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Applewhite posted:

Queen of Versailles is a great expose of the excesses of the rich and famous. Originally intended to be a documentary on the construction of the world's largest single family home, it became a record of the decline and fall of a wealthy real-estate mogul.
What's sickening is that even when they're "poor" they are still actually doing extremely well in terms of material possessions.

I wanted to murder everyone, but it was really good.

Bridgend Since 2007, dozens of teens and young people have been found hanged in Bridgend, South Wales. It's a mystery that has baffled authorities and town residents.

The Summit The story of the deadliest day on the world's most dangerous mountain, when 11 climbers mysteriously perished on K2.

And I'm reluctant to recommend it because it ruined my weekend, but Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father. You're supposed to go in blind and it hurts, it hurts, it hurts.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

I wanted to murder everyone, but it was really good.

Every single person in that family is such an epic shithead. The part that stuck with me the most was when one of the kids got a bike for his birthday and was like "toss it on the pile" and you see he has a garage full of dozens of bikes he never rides. And this was after they were "broke"!

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
the one about my rear end

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Broenheim posted:

the one about my rear end

already recommended Gasland friend

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Applewhite posted:

Every single person in that family is such an epic shithead. The part that stuck with me the most was when one of the kids got a bike for his birthday and was like "toss it on the pile" and you see he has a garage full of dozens of bikes he never rides. And this was after they were "broke"!

Also the "We're so poor we have to shop at Waaal-maaaart!" and then coming out with seven carts full of toys. :fuckoff:

And OP, if you're interested in voice acting, I Know That Voice! is fun.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia (2009)
A documentary by director Julien Nitzberg, this film focuses on the renowned West Virginia outlaw Jesco White and his eccentric backwoods family. In addition to getting in trouble with the law, the Whites, who live deep within Appalachia, uphold a time-honored dancing style, even as they contend with poverty, drugs and other issues. Alternately humorous and sad, the movie is an unflinching look at life on the criminal margins of rural mountain culture.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
No No: A Dockumentary is good

There was one on Treblinka that was good but sort of depressing

There was one about beavers I enjoyed, it turns out they are cute + helpful creatures that we should let run wild and free

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Restrepo is a real good look at what it's like to be serving in Afghanistan, it's pretty intense.

Murder on a Sunday Morning is often overlooked, but a really good documentary following the arrest and trial of a black youth who is charged for murder after an eye witness (the husband of the victim) said it was 100% him.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
747 in D Check - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_yHtfGH0nI

Particle Fever - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REz5hRbHVfg

Directed Energy Weapons - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug4HMkiH3-E

Air Force One - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q6lmXHfwQE

Invisible Universe Revealed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwfHKtYewfQ

Astrospies - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2K6HHUbUe0

Beyond the X-Plane - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4OWDVKqGEE

X-15 Rocket Plane - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM4Flfa1gXU

Megastructures Deep Ocean Port - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkUR-UfwCY4

Hagia Sophia (surprisingly fascinating) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ1SzemODVU

Where is all the world's gold? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWsMxEDgT0Y

The history of the San Andreas Fault - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfbNWFBr5g8

Absolute Zero - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP2bEdB0yo4

How to build a jumbo jet engine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHGbWKnhrp4

How to build a super jumbo wing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF6ZuBDlNjY

Megafactories Learjet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV7rN2wrLDo

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
King rear end ripper 7 on liveleak is pretty good

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.
Man On Wire

The Imposter

Gimme Shelter

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Yes, everything by Louis Theroux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpUtUQ5YC-Q

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

BOLD TEXT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elmVJE5M_mw

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
"I Am Big Bird" about Carrol Spinney, who's played the character for 40+ years, was surprisingly wonderful.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

prinneh posted:

Room 237 (2013)
I love Kubrick, but this one takes the cake. Filmmaker Rodney Asch analyzes Stanley Kubrick's film adaptation of Stephen King's classic horror novel, "The Shining”. This documentary features a whole bunch of obsessives who obsess endlessly over Kubricks The Shining and if you like that movie, you’ll love this one too. Think Žižek, but without an actual cultural philosophy degree and just plain geek obsession and you’ll be pretty close to picturing some of the nuts featured in this fantastic homage to The Shining. Watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEbYMLWR0wI

Is that the one where they're all like "Stanley Kubrick was totally hired by the government to film the fake moon landing, and Danny has a rocket ship on his sweater in The Shining so there's proof!"?

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
War photographer

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Vastarien posted:

Is that the one where they're all like "Stanley Kubrick was totally hired by the government to film the fake moon landing, and Danny has a rocket ship on his sweater in The Shining so there's proof!"?

They interview one crank who says that but I don't think the filmmakers were behind him. The movie is just a really lose assemblage of random internet theories and foot notes about The Shining with B+ production values. Kinda lame.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Vastarien posted:

yup!

Some really good documentary recommendations itt, some I've already seen and the rest I'm looking forward to :)

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Sheep-Goats posted:

They interview one crank who says that but I don't think the filmmakers were behind him. The movie is just a really lose assemblage of random internet theories and foot notes about The Shining with B+ production values. Kinda lame.

I don't know about lame, I honestly thought it was pretty funny as a sorta portrait of obsessive compulsive fandom. Then again, the documentary about Kubrick called Stanley Kubrick's Boxes (2008) shows the inner boxed up workings of a pretty obssesive compulsive filmmaker so maybe these nuts are the hardcore fans he deserves, aside from the rest of us casual fans I mean :)

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
why arent you watching reality tv you gently caress

forward pass
Dec 9, 2005

Y'all get back now.
Tim's Vermeer was pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94pCNUu6qFY

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
The Wrecking Crew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX5BCgmr7tg

Twenty Feet from Stardom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kgRq_pGN2g

Supermench

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd0VOkPOrV0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

king salmon posted:

War photographer

James Nachtwey is insane. Probably also the best photographer to have ever lived.

• Locked thread