Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm sure Brotherhood is actually, technically better than 2 if you had to put them side by side and play them today, but it did give me diminishing returns, and in hindsight 2 was the last game in the series I was entirely enamored with. It just felt like such an improvement on the first game and the story was really fun and crazy and the characters were likeable.

Brotherhood is essentially the same game with more stuff added on top, and although it did a lot of creative stuff like that one mission where you take part in the passion play, the overall story felt largely superfluous, and the added systems made everything feel more mechanical and rigid.

Revelations I did not like at all, it's better than 3 but not by much.

I just can't see it. 2 was an improvement on 1 but still had a lot of problems with AC:B was the first game in the franchise I'd actually call good. It also was the one that introduced the multiplayer which was super-fun. (Also you could play as Raiden riding a unicorn.)

Like I can understand people being burned out by diminishing returns but the difference between AC2 and Brotherhood is miles long to me.

I also can't really understand the story being superfluous. It is the one that sets up basically the entire status quo for the rest of the franchise, whereas AC2 literally ends on a cliffhanger about how everything Ezio does is meaningless except to get a message to Desmond in the future. Brotherhood actually lets Ezio's game be about him instead of just buildup to a twist.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I can say that 2 had a great character arc, probably the best in the series. Young Ezio is a carefree lad, becomes an angry young man bent on revenge, and slowly becomes more careful and calculating as he grows up, but never really loses that sense of humor.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
With regards to ninja urchins all I've found so far is

quote:

In a throwback to the older AC games, Syndicate will rekindle a recruitment system whereby you will be able to enlist new gang members and summon them at will, allowing you to get into good old street brawls with your allies.

from here. Not conclusive, but I'll keep an eye out.

In other news, BritGoons may (or may not) be interested to note that Evie's Voice Actress, Victoria Atkin, counts 134 episodes of Hollyoaks amongst her credits on her CV. She played the first fictional transgendered teen on British TV, Jasmine/Jason Costello.

So there you go.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
On the bright side, at least Dishonored 2 is coming out so we'll have a non-terrible stabdudes game.

I loved AC2, adored AC:B, thought Revelations was acceptable, but everything past AC3 killed it for me.

Was I the only one who actually liked Desmond? Still sad he got killed off. :smith:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

There was a leak that Ubi apparently works on Far Cry: Primal which is set in prehistoric times. Maybe this means there's a chance for a caveman AC in the future or the Adam/Eve scenario...

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Razakai posted:

Was I the only one who actually liked Desmond? Still sad he got killed off. :smith:

No, I liked Desmond and the modern day storyline until AC3. I feel like they lost their way entirely between AC2 and AC3 when they killed Lucy and decided to rewrite half of her story when, I assume, Kristen Bell wouldn't return for whatever reason. Then they shoved in David Cross from the comics and everything turned awful. That character's inclusion in the game was worthless and just made me annoyed as soon as I saw him for the first time, not unlike Kai Leng in Mass Effect 3. The part where Desmond raids Abstergo HQ to rescue his father, using the Apple to slaughter/weaken everyone on his way was the only cool and memorable part about Desmond's storyline in AC3, regardless of how stupid it was-

"Hey, let's threaten the guy with the Deus Ex Machina Weapon to make a "trade" after we've clearly agitated him using a hostage situation! Nothing will go wrong. And let's have absolutely no real defenses against an Apple of Eden even though we have held several pieces of Eden over the years and we know exactly how dangerous they are! We don't need that poo poo, this is going to WORK, dammit!"

It atleast gave me some much-needed closure on Vidic's schtick and made Desmond actually take charge for once, something that was needed. And then the plot just shits itself with forcing his death to release Juno. Everything about AC3's ending is completely unsatisfying, which is something I can say seems to happen with all of the "bad" AC games.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The worst part of the modern storyline is that they just simply dropped it after AC3. As if it never happened. They built an actual (even if weak) plot over 6 games with its own development and cast of characters but ended it on a cliffhanger with Juno being the big bad villain on the loose. I know that there is some dialogue and you can read some stupid e-mails about it in the later games but it's never taken even a step further really. I would take some lovely closure over this - like Juno taken care of but the fight against Templars continues for other reasons etc. That would at least give them a reason for stalling and taking the modern stuff into the background instead of pushing the pause button on an ongoing plot for 4 games.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well don't worry 'cause the new Michael Fassbender movie is totally canon and will tie up every loose end and spell a new beginning for the grandiose Assassin's Creed epic narrative

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The thing is, Chariots of the Gods type stuff works because a spaceship is as inconprehensible to an ancient Hindu as literal magic. Showing Jupiter with a laser pistol isn't anywhere near incomprehensible to modern people even if we don't know how to make one, so the the Those Who Came Before stuff just falls apart in AC3.

They became boring aliens. It was much better when they were talking about the colour of time and suggesting things were going on that we weren't even capable of seeing.

Remember the creepy rear end wall writing in the first game? It's pretty disappointing that that mad enlightenment boiled down to knowing Athena had a personal force field.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Hakkesshu posted:

Well don't worry 'cause the new Michael Fassbender movie is totally canon and will tie up every loose end and spell a new beginning for the grandiose Assassin's Creed epic narrative

I think every word in this post needs to have quote marks around it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Palpek posted:

The worst part of the modern storyline is that they just simply dropped it after AC3. As if it never happened. They built an actual (even if weak) plot over 6 games with its own development and cast of characters but ended it on a cliffhanger with Juno being the big bad villain on the loose. I know that there is some dialogue and you can read some stupid e-mails about it in the later games but it's never taken even a step further really. I would take some lovely closure over this - like Juno taken care of but the fight against Templars continues for other reasons etc. That would at least give them a reason for stalling and taking the modern stuff into the background instead of pushing the pause button on an ongoing plot for 4 games.
I always thought that the modern day plot was just a way for them to try and provide a narrative backbone to the settings of these games so its easier to sell it as a franchise with an on-going story, rather than a series of disconnected historical sketches. The thing is, I only ever enjoyed the AC series specifically for its settings and these smaller stories, so the modern day stuff just became a constant intrusion that I had absolutely no interest in. So I was actually pretty happy with them dropping the whole thing, because its so badly written that its pretty much impossible to save now. Even if it had a thrilling conclusion, you'd still have the problem that every part preceding it was shite.

In conclusion, gently caress Desmond, I'm glad hes dead.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Palpek posted:

There was a leak that Ubi apparently works on Far Cry: Primal which is set in prehistoric times. Maybe this means there's a chance for a caveman AC in the future or the Adam/Eve scenario...

Isn't Far Cry loosely in the same universe as Assassin's Creed and Watch_Dogs anyway? At the very least, Abstergo is in Far Cry 3, complete with magic precursor artifacts you find for Buck and Far Cry 4 references the events of Far Cry 2 and 3.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Isn't Far Cry loosely in the same universe as Assassin's Creed and Watch_Dogs anyway? At the very least, Abstergo is in Far Cry 3, complete with magic precursor artifacts you find for Buck and Far Cry 4 references the events of Far Cry 2 and 3.

pretty much.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Gorn Myson posted:

I always thought that the modern day plot was just a way for them to try and provide a narrative backbone to the settings of these games so its easier to sell it as a franchise with an on-going story, rather than a series of disconnected historical sketches. The thing is, I only ever enjoyed the AC series specifically for its settings and these smaller stories, so the modern day stuff just became a constant intrusion that I had absolutely no interest in. So I was actually pretty happy with them dropping the whole thing, because its so badly written that its pretty much impossible to save now. Even if it had a thrilling conclusion, you'd still have the problem that every part preceding it was shite.

In conclusion, gently caress Desmond, I'm glad hes dead.
I didn't enjoy the modern story that much either, however if they started something they should end it properly. I can recall every historical story in the last few rear end Creeds but I have no idea what the hell is even happening with the Abstergo poo poo, it's so muddled. At least before that there was Desmond, his father, a smug British guy, an Asian hacker, a romance interest traitor etc. - it was all somehow grounded even when it was lovely.

Now you just run around an architecture student's thacky bad dream office playing catch-them-all with post-it notes and interacting with a bunch of assholes. I don't even know why it still exists, they should just replace it with an iPad screen that you pull out when you hit escape where you can listen to some mp3 files explaining the modern-day stuff if you want to hear it like it's MGS and spare us all the useless running.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If this new "Far Cry" game ends up being a swerve into the AC ancient aliens story, I might actually be interested.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

No they're just easter eggs. Assassin's Creed refers to Far Cry 3 as a video game, and it has more crossover with Metal Gear Solid than it does with Watch Dogs.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They should just say the Templars were actually the Patriots and wash their hands of the modern day plot b/c Snake already took care of them.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Palpek posted:

I didn't enjoy the modern story that much either, however if they started something they should end it properly. I can recall every historical story in the last few rear end Creeds but I have no idea what the hell is even happening with the Abstergo poo poo, it's so muddled. At least before that there was Desmond, his father, a smug British guy, an Asian hacker, a romance interest traitor etc. - it was all somehow grounded even when it was lovely.

Now you just run around an architecture student's thacky bad dream office playing catch-them-all with post-it notes and interacting with a bunch of assholes. I don't even know why it still exists, they should just replace it with an iPad screen that you pull out when you hit escape where you can listen to some mp3 files explaining the modern-day stuff if you want to hear it like it's MGS and spare us all the useless running.
We pretty much agree really, its just that I'm okay with leaving the modern day stuff dead and buried. If I were given the job of sorting out the AC franchise, I'd drop every trace of the modern day stuff and just replace it with some other framing device, like some guy just telling the story of some unsung hero from history. I mean it doesn't matter really, it just needs to get you into the good stuff as quickly as possible and then stay the gently caress out of it unless theres a good reason why you'd interrupt it. Plus you get rid of the Templars/Assassins poo poo which is almost as bad as the modern day stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

hacker lady was asian? i never noticed or knew.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Dapper_Swindler posted:

hacker lady was asian? i never noticed or knew.

She kinda looked half-Asian/half-white to me.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Sorry to bring up AC3 and the pain it may bring, but I actually have the urge to play it. I have it on the PC, though, and noticed that normal jogging was removed because the production team was staffed by idiots because the "Animus was updated". Is there any way to bind a key to allow sprinting? Even messing with .ini files or something? It really bugs me, and I know it shouldn't with everything else that went wrong, but it really bugs me, and I just want to jog like a normal person please.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Probably not, it wasn't removed, it's just pressure sensitive when you use a controller.

Stop playing AC3 though

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Probably not, it wasn't removed, it's just pressure sensitive when you use a controller.

Get an Xbox 360 controller, they're very nice for playing console-interface heavy games on the PC (AssCreed, Battymans Arkham)

quote:

Stop playing AC3 though

Or this...

Though I must say, I'm tempted to go through Asscreed3 again, too. :ohdear:

The main reason being at the time I was playing it on the 360, and due to roommates and TV sharing constraints, was forced to rush through it. On the one hand, I feel like I missed a lot. On the other hand, I did the homestead and boat missions....so I did experience the best parts of the game. :shrug:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Snuffman posted:

Get an Xbox 360 controller, they're very nice for playing console-interface heavy games on the PC (AssCreed, Battymans Arkham)

Or this...

Though I must say, I'm tempted to go through Asscreed3 again, too. :ohdear:

The main reason being at the time I was playing it on the 360, and due to roommates and TV sharing constraints, was forced to rush through it. On the one hand, I feel like I missed a lot. On the other hand, I did the homestead and boat missions....so I did experience the best parts of the game. :shrug:

AC3 has always struck me as a great game under some terrible design decisions. If all the cut story content and exposition from Connor was kept it in would have been stronger. As opposed to Unity which didn't even have that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

If you feel like you need to play AC3 then do it. It's like the urge to do meth that one TCC goon had even though he knew it will kill him. You will even have some fun with it, especially the expansion, you will also scream a lot in pain and hit your gaming bottom. There are also actually some memorable scenes in it even though you need to slog through the gameplay to get to them. Good Luck.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I'll say it: I think AC3 is actually a better game than Unity.

AC3 was a mess but it still felt like it had some sort of soul hidden underneath Connor's wooden acting and janky gameplay.

Unity just feels.. clinical. I know that pretty much every AC game is assembled together from multiple studios and built by committee, but Unity is the first game where I felt like that was patently obvious. Even all the launch bugs aside, it doesn't fix the problem of the story being fundamentally dull.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

macnbc posted:

I don't think you're going out on a limb for saying that plain old poo poo is better than the bloody flux

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

macnbc posted:

AC3 was a mess but it still felt like it had some sort of soul hidden underneath Connor's wooden acting and janky gameplay.

Unity just feels.. clinical. I know that pretty much every AC game is assembled together from multiple studios and built by committee, but Unity is the first game where I felt like that was patently obvious. Even all the launch bugs aside, it doesn't fix the problem of the story being fundamentally dull.

Exactly this. I worry that syndicate won't be any better than unity in this respect. Unity felt absolutely soulless in a way that seems to suggest that even the team(s) working on it don't care anymore.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Honestly Unity didn't have a single scene as good as this one and AC3 is a game with a robot protagonist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-gRROe0xW4

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

macnbc posted:

I totally agree. Even though AC 3 had a lot of issues, you did actually get the impression the developers gave a poo poo and it was boneheaded but ambitious decisions made during development, coupled with the hasty rewrite of the game because of the deal with Lucy, plus a "get it done by 2012" time limit being enforced which made them cut a fair bit of content that sank the game.

With Unity, you just get the impression instead that the developers clearly didn't give a poo poo. It feels designed by committee and then they called it a day, being too lazy to even optimize and bugfix the game.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Palpek posted:

Honestly Unity didn't have a single scene as good as this one and AC3 is a game with a robot protagonist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-gRROe0xW4

this is probably the only good scene I enjoyed from AC3 aside from Desmond Rocking Abstergo's Casbah. And even then, the entire game leads up to it in a ridiculous way with Connor just having his irrational hatred of Charles Lee. "Where's Lee?! What about Lee?!" That scene just shows that they were still human, when you get right down to it.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Here's some new info on what you can make your gang do for you (now with actual child labour!)

UbiBlog posted:

What can the Rooks do for me?

The Rooks are an extra blade in a fight. They’re the guns watching your back while you ride around the city. They are distractions when you need to slip through an area unnoticed. So what can the Rooks do for you? Pretty much anything. You can even unlock the Little Rooks upgrade to get special deliveries like resources, money and ammo from the children of London.

Can Evie command the Rooks as well?

The Rooks may be Jacob’s brainchild, but they will follow either of the Frye twins.

How many Rooks can I command at a time?

Depending on how far you’ve upgraded your Leadership Skill ability, you’ll be able to command up to five Rooks at a time. If you’ve also been upgrading your Rook Training skill, you’ll be able to get them up to level 9, so they’ll be pretty hard to take down when you encounter enemies.

Will the Rooks ride in carriages with me?

Yes! If you have more than one Rook, one will sit up in the driver’s seat with you and the others will climb into the back. You can also pile your Rooks onto a fire engine and tear through the city. This is especially cool if you want to drive that fire engine straight into enemy territory and let the Rooks do their thing. It’s also nice to have an extra hand riding shotgun with you in case you attract any unwanted attention while you’re on the road. Your Rooks can help keep enemies occupied while you focus on navigating the streets of London.

Can my Rooks take solo missions?

No, but you can send them into places like Gang Strongholds and just let them clear the place out while you sit back and watch.

Can the Rooks follow me anywhere?

They will do their best, but you need to remember they aren’t quite as agile as Assassins. Their parkour skills are somewhat limited, and they don’t have access to your fancy rope launcher, so keep that in mind when you are leading them around the city.

How can I upgrade the Rooks?

Under Gang Upgrades, you’ll see that all upgrades are broken down into three categories. You have the Insider group of skills, which is all about intimidation and getting extra goodies (loot, carriages, deliveries) on the streets.
Then there’s the Ringleader category, which is focused on improving the Rooks, as well as sabotaging the Blighters and Templars. Finally, there are the Swindler upgrades. These will all be about getting you discounts when you purchase items and making more money that goes into your train’s safe.

How can the Rooks sabotage the Blighters and Templars?

There is a whole row of upgrades in the Ringleader category dedicated to making the Blighters’ and Templars’ lives miserable. Work your way through these upgrades (starting with Carriage Sabotage) in order to weaken their blades and carriages, lower their health, and even cause their guns to misfire or explode in their hands.

ow can the Rooks help me earn more money?

The Swindler category of skills is definitely where you want to focus your attention if you’re looking to make and save money in Assassin’s Creed Syndicate. Upgrades like Shell Company will ensure a bigger payout for income activities like Fight Club and Cargo Hijack. You can also purchase upgrades that will get you discounts on items like bombs, darts, medicine and bullets. On top of that, there are five levels of upgrades that will get you more money in your train safe, so start investing in those as soon as you can to get some extra cash right off the bat.

When I'm not phoneposting I'll stick this in the OP.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That's just what "assassin gang" should be. I love the idea of fire trucking them around to bash heads.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Let's all take a minute to remember the better times, when an AC trailer would get you hyped as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K39UWxdm0U

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Razakai posted:

Let's all take a minute to remember the better times, when an AC trailer would get you hyped as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K39UWxdm0U

That's still seriously one of the best trailers I've seen for any video game.

I like how they brought Woodkid back for another trailer for AC: Unity to try to recapture the magic. Wasn't nearly as good.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

macnbc posted:

That's still seriously one of the best trailers I've seen for any video game.

I like how they brought Woodkid back for another trailer for AC: Unity to try to recapture the magic. Wasn't nearly as good.

I dunno, I thought that Unity trailer was the best. Although maybe my hope for what that game should have been was clouding my opinion.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
So, is there a general Assassin's Creed thread, or is just this one? I'm typing :words: about AC3 that I want to post in a few days and get some input on, but I don't know if this is the right place.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I think the thread for the newest game is always the general thread.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Speaking of TV trailers, here is Syndicate's:

https://youtu.be/HT5Ws-RDUI0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Speaking of TV trailers, here is Syndicate's:

https://youtu.be/HT5Ws-RDUI0

its ok i guess

• Locked thread