Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Basically the best thing ever happened today for people who are in to following the insanity that surrounds OCD-afflicted Apple fans. tl;dr amounts to the iPhone 6S has the A9 chip in it, but Apple used both Samsung and TSMC to fabricate them. There's minor differences between the two, namely 8.5 square millimeters of die size. The Chipworks people who figured all this out are trying to determine if there's any performance difference between them, but without even knowing that the MacRumors forums are ON THE CASE- http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-6s-uses-different-sized-a9-chips-from-samsung-and-tsmc.1922677/

quote:

WOW. Turns out my wife and I have same phone, one runs hot and has been more laggy. I bet this is the reason. How do I find out which chip we have? Will definitely return one. Why Apple would do this is beyond me.

quote:

I smell a lawsuit coming?

quote:

God forbid people spending $700+ on a device demand that they're receiving the same performing device as everyone else.

If you're going to use different suppliers (which is almost mandatory), make sure both parts are identical (not physically, but performance wise). If one outperforms the other, it's unacceptable and I dare say unethical in my opinion.

It's possible that the chips are totally identical, but if the people testing this out detects even the smallest difference, it's going to be incredible. Anyway, not sure how big of a deal this is yet but figured I'd post so we could be on the GROUND FLOOR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
:firstpost:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
scrappled again

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
pity bap

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

#Chipgate

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lmao

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

and people would be bitching if apple delayed launch because they had chip supply problems

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
tim is now literally cutting corners

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
this worked out so well when samsung did it in that one nexus

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

doesn't performance vary from one chip to the other anyway

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PleasureKevin posted:

doesn't performance vary from one chip to the other anyway

but if reliability, heat dissipation or ~random quirks~ do, hooo boy.

idiots returning phone after phone android style to get one of the good ones

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

infernal machines posted:

but if reliability, heat dissipation or ~random quirks~ do, hooo boy.

idiots returning phone after phone android style to get one of the good ones

epic

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

this is like last year when there was two nand suppliers and some spergs cared but for the rest of the world it didn't make a difference

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm just gonna go ahead and predict that a future ios update will randomly brick/cause critical failures on one but not the other of these models

you can quote this when it happens

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

fabghazi
dietanic

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

there's too much capitalization in that post I can't read it sorry :shrug:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Stymie posted:

tim is now literally cutting corners

Rounding. He's rounding corners. Innovative. Magical. Uniquely Apple.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
cool ranch... nacho...

well, either way i'm happy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
unethical that dude claims

Syrian refugees??? gently caress dat, my brand new elite phone has slightly less performance than someone else's, and despite the fact that my phone is still new and smooth as gently caress, I'm gonna complain on the Internet.
I contribute nothing to society

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

suffix posted:

dietanic

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

echinopsis posted:

Syrian refugees??? gently caress dat, my brand new elite phone has slightly less performance than someone else's, and despite the fact that my phone is still new and smooth as gently caress, I'm gonna complain on the Internet.

dont sign your posts haha

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
michael dell, in charge again

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

sometimes i think you have trouble comprehending the moral philosophy of consumerism

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
yep they are identical performance wise

the only difference is heat/power which the 6s plus has a bigger battery and can dissipate more heat with bigger area in the first place anyway so no one will ever notice besides the spergs

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

DaNzA posted:

the spergs

its u

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

this is like last year when there was two nand suppliers and some spergs cared but for the rest of the world it didn't make a difference

it was MLC being used in 16 and some 64GB while most 64/128GB are TLC, it's an issue for people who want the best thing that can last 10 years even though they will probably get another phone within 12 months

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

DaNzA posted:

the only difference is heat/power which the 6s plus has a bigger battery and can dissipate more heat with bigger area in the first place anyway so no one will ever notice besides the spergs

so, you do realize what they're talking about is the 6s has two different makes of a9 in it depending on the production run, right?

like, not that the 6s and the 6s+ are different, the one model has one of two different cpus in it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DaNzA posted:

idk if you read the OP? he's saying there are two 6s phones not 6 vs 6s

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
beaten like smythe with a whip and old semen at his birthday

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i have a 6s plus and can confirm the chips on it are different sizes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sometimes i think you have trouble comprehending the moral philosophy of consumerism

maybe

I just struggle sort of isolating consumerism for the world it exists within, while these people seem to be able to exist within their slim privileged slice of the world and act as if it's the only thing that's ever mattered

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

since you deleted one of those benchmark screens

the most astounding thing is the galaxy note 5 needs twice as many active cores running 16% faster than an iphone to get 13% better performance

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

so, you do realize what they're talking about is the 6s has two different makes of a9 in it depending on the production run, right?

like, not that the 6s and the 6s+ are different, the one model has one of two different cpus in it.
supposedly it's the TSMC chip inside the plus while the samsung chip inside the regular non-plus S, which makes sense

but who knows and you might be right

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

since you deleted one of those benchmark screens

the most astounding thing is the galaxy note 5 needs twice as many active cores running 16% faster than an iphone to get 13% better performance

yeah i thought the app/browsing benchmark is more relevant since most of the apps are going to be terribly written and not multi-threaded as well as a benchmark specifically for multi-core

but this shows how much ahead the a9 is compare to the competition

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

DaNzA posted:

supposedly it's the TSMC chip inside the plus while the samsung chip inside the regular non-plus S, which makes sense

but who knows and you might be right

gently caress if i know, that's just what the op's article claims

echinopsis posted:

maybe

I just struggle sort of isolating consumerism for the world it exists within, while these people seem to be able to exist within their slim privileged slice of the world and act as if it's the only thing that's ever mattered

yeah, see here's your problem. there's no greater context or framework or anything really outside of the desire of the consumer. that's it man, pure solipsistic desire

go ahead, get yourself that new iPhone 6S, you deserve it

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
to sperg about this some more that the 6s/plus appears to be using PCI-E NVMe for storage, in a phone

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

DaNzA posted:

to sperg about this some more that the 6s/plus appears to be using PCI-E NVMe for storage, in a phone

wow dude that's crazy. i dont actually know what that means because im normal though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Squeezy Farm posted:

wow dude that's crazy. i dont actually know what that means because im normal though.

it means the blue is way better than the orange or grey i think

• Locked thread