Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

DaNzA posted:

Which iPhone do you have?

1. Samsung 14nm + MLC + LG IPS + Samsung 2GB
2. Samsung 14nm + MLC + LG IPS + HYNIX 2GB
3. Sumsung 14nm + MLC + SHARP IPS + Samsung 2GB
4. Samsung 14nm + MLC + SHARP IPS + HYNIX 2GB
5. Samsung 14nm + TLC + LG IPS + Samsung 2GB
6. Samsung 14nm + TLC + LG IPS + HYNIX 2GB
7. Samsung 14nm + TLC + SHARP IPS + Samsung 2GB
8. Samsung 14nm + TLC + SHARP IPS + HYNIX 2GB
9. TSMC 16nm + MLC + LG IPS + Samsung 2GB
10. TSMC 16nm + MLC + LG IPS + HYNIX 2GB
11. TSMC 16nm + MLC + SHARP IPS + Samsung 2GB
12. TSMC 16nm + MLC + SHARP IPS + HYNIX 2GB
13. TSMC 16nm + TLC + LG IPS + Samsung 2GB
14. TSMC 16nm + TLC + LG IPS + HYNIX 2GB
15. TSMC 16nm + TLC + SHARP IPS + Samsung 2GB
16. TSMC 16nm + TLC + SHARP IPS + HYNIX 2GB

The master race will be Samsung 14nm + MLC + SHARP IPS + Samsung 2GB.

And lol if you got TSMC 16nm + TLC + LG IPS + HYNIX 2GB.

which one of these is the shiny charizard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

dragon enthusiast posted:

which one of these is the shiny charizard

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

DaNzA posted:

Which iPhone do you have?

1. Samsung 14nm + MLC + LG IPS + Samsung 2GB
2. Samsung 14nm + MLC + LG IPS + HYNIX 2GB
3. Sumsung 14nm + MLC + SHARP IPS + Samsung 2GB
4. Samsung 14nm + MLC + SHARP IPS + HYNIX 2GB
5. Samsung 14nm + TLC + LG IPS + Samsung 2GB
6. Samsung 14nm + TLC + LG IPS + HYNIX 2GB
7. Samsung 14nm + TLC + SHARP IPS + Samsung 2GB
8. Samsung 14nm + TLC + SHARP IPS + HYNIX 2GB
9. TSMC 16nm + MLC + LG IPS + Samsung 2GB
10. TSMC 16nm + MLC + LG IPS + HYNIX 2GB
11. TSMC 16nm + MLC + SHARP IPS + Samsung 2GB
12. TSMC 16nm + MLC + SHARP IPS + HYNIX 2GB
13. TSMC 16nm + TLC + LG IPS + Samsung 2GB
14. TSMC 16nm + TLC + LG IPS + HYNIX 2GB
15. TSMC 16nm + TLC + SHARP IPS + Samsung 2GB
16. TSMC 16nm + TLC + SHARP IPS + HYNIX 2GB

The master race will be Samsung 14nm + MLC + SHARP IPS + Samsung 2GB.

And lol if you got TSMC 16nm + TLC + LG IPS + HYNIX 2GB.

anroid lol

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

i have a nexus 5 and its 2 years old and still great

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Space-Pope posted:

asian megacorps seem weird to me. im used to a deal where a company usually is focused around a thing. sure there are holding corporations and subsidiaries so it's functionally the same thing, but i still think it's odd that like sony is one of the biggest japanese insurance providers. or nintendo used to own love hotels and taxi cabs

The US did the exact same thing in the 1960s

like, GE still does this sort of stuff, although they used to be in a whole lot more

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Stymie posted:

tim is now literally cutting corners

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

computer parts posted:

The US did the exact same thing in the 1960s

like, GE still does this sort of stuff, although they used to be in a whole lot more

i'm glad they got burned on all the finance fuckery they were trying to run

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

is it wrong to expect differences in performance? i was under the impression that die shrinks usually meant the same processing power with less power consumption/heat

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
my space gray iPhone 6S is suiting my needs so loving hard and I neither know nor care what specific factory made any component

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
literally standing on the skulls of slaves

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

echinopsis posted:

literally standing on the skulls of slaves

you actually make that sound p[retty cool

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

tim is like a mayan king descended from the gods and rules with an brushed aluminium fist

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

is it wrong to expect differences in performance? i was under the impression that die shrinks usually meant the same processing power with less power consumption/heat

this isn't a die shrink, a die shrink implies the same chip with a new manufacturing process from the same manufacturer, where the next generation process is probably similar in many ways to the previous one, and designed to provide specific improvements over the previous process

this is two different manufacturing processes from two different manufacturers, so the dies could be very different. one process is probably better in terms of power consumption or performance and the question is which one and by how much, and whether the die is even being clocked differently to take advantage of that. They could also be designed to run at exactly the same speed, in which case one is slightly better in terms of power consumption.

It doesn't really matter though because it's a phone and it's better than last years phone no matter which one you have.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you should work for macrumouras

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I do freelance work posting in their forums.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

kwinkles posted:

this isn't a die shrink, a die shrink implies the same chip with a new manufacturing process from the same manufacturer, where the next generation process is probably similar in many ways to the previous one, and designed to provide specific improvements over the previous process

this is two different manufacturing processes from two different manufacturers, so the dies could be very different. one process is probably better in terms of power consumption or performance and the question is which one and by how much, and whether the die is even being clocked differently to take advantage of that. They could also be designed to run at exactly the same speed, in which case one is slightly better in terms of power consumption.

It doesn't really matter though because it's a phone and it's better than last years phone no matter which one you have.

cool mad eup info in this post v helpfulk thansk for ur thoughts on the matter.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Stux posted:

cool mad eup info in this post v helpfulk thansk for ur thoughts on the matter.

no that's basic understanding of how chip manufacturing works. one process is almost certainly going to be better in terms of speed or power consumption. apple might not be taking advantage of a speed advantage, but power consumption takes care of itself.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
finally finished strapping in, OP

dcseankun
Jun 17, 2005

suck my diiiiick, i'm a catshaaark!!!

Godspeed You! Black Conservative posted:

after running the ipa through hopper in my very unprofessional opinion you'll get some ads and Facebook tracking. the app uses MobileGestalt calls to get a string for "HardwarePlatform" key and it'll upload your phone's UDID straight to taiwan or whatever.

why... where is the class action suit?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

kwinkles posted:

no that's basic understanding of how chip manufacturing works. one process is almost certainly going to be better in terms of speed or power consumption. apple might not be taking advantage of a speed advantage, but power consumption takes care of itself.

what else did ur uncle tell u

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"nobody else needs to know about this"

and

"that's not how you wash it"

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
"if you flick it more than three times you're playing with it'

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Stux posted:

what else did ur uncle tell u

kwinkles is a chip fab worker dude. p deece 6.5 figgies and drives an epic lotus.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I thought all chip fab workers were robots

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, simpler, more primitive robots

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/3nn00t/live_test_results_iphone_6s_samsung_14nm_vs_tsmc/

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/06/does-your-iphone-have-a-good-or-bad-a9-cpu/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dude youve been on this site for years. literally years

awesome that apple is getting slammed over this. unfortunately normies will be shielded from the news by the liberal media bias

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Made an appointment to return my Samsung model 128GB 6S+ Rose Gold. You guys can try to justify this however you want, but the bottom line is apple marketed me a phone that should perform as other 128GB 6S+ Rose Golds do. Mine does not. It has significantly worse battery life. If you find that acceptable for a $1000 product, I pity you.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I was kinda wondering why the battery life didn't seem that much better on my 6s Plus than on my 5s

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

tsmc 6s right here :twisted:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
its funny how at first everyone wanted a samsung because smaller transistors = better than and now everyone wants a tsmc because some guy did a test

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

overdesigned posted:

I thought all chip fab workers were robots

beep boop I'm a robot

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

anyone payingi this serious attention is v dumb

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Stux posted:

anyone payingi this serious attention is v dumb

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

poty posted:

its funny how at first everyone wanted a samsung because smaller transistors = better than and now everyone wants a tsmc because some guy did a test
lower numbers don't even mean smaller these days, iirc tsmc's 16ff has the same size transistors as its 20nm process, but the finfets increase efficiency so they have to market it differently

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I have the Samsung one.... Goddamnit. I'll wait a few weeks and check for more tests but if it's proven my phone is inferior I'll be contacting my local Apple Store and demanding one with the good chip. Nothing pisses me off more than paying the premium price and getting the inferior product.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-b5XFMuzDY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this is some android level poo poo right here. forum-induced group hypochondria

• Locked thread