Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I love that they were playing Informer by Snow with an accordion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
RIP Gordon.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It's not a saying people are dead contest, Carol.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
As you can see he's still alive in this one. Not for long.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No regreeeeeeettttttttttttttsssssssss

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Wow, I don't recall Erica being awful last season.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I liked this episode.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
That was amazing at the end:

DON'T BE A HERO!
I'm very sorry that I lied and tried to trick you into sleeping with me. You're a good person...
GET YOUR HANDS OUT OF YOUR POCKETS

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wow, I don't recall Erica being awful last season.

I didn't see erica being too bad outside of being jealous that Carol was back. Which she should have been because (hot)Phil still has a thing for her.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Of course Tandy ruined his second chance. I'm actually interested in a stuck in the stocks episode.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Postal Parcel posted:

I didn't see erica being too bad outside of being jealous that Carol was back. Which she should have been because (hot)Phil still has a thing for her.

Dumping your girlfriend the day your ex comes to town is a very Tandy move.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 12, 2015

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
What would be sweet is if new Phil became as bad as Tandy Phil.

This season is fun so far.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was hoping Tandy would just shoot everybody in the room except Carol. gently caress:(

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
It's such a Tandy thing to be all "The gun's not even loaded guys, see I've changed. Wait why are you mad?" :allears:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Jesus christ that scene was unbearable, I guess in a good way. Tandy is a complete basket case.

I enjoy this show but I seriously have no idea what's the premise anymore, Tandy was temporarily the last man on earth and that got some mileage but now it's simply a show set in a post-apocalypse where the protagonist is awkwardly autistic and insane? It's a weird premise I guess, sort of a reverse 'straight man' thing. Kristen Schaal is the best.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 12, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Jesus christ that scene was unbearable, I guess in a good way. Tandy is a complete basket case.

I enjoy this show but I seriously have no idea what's the premise anymore, Tandy was temporarily the last man on earth and that got some mileage but now it's simply a show set in a post-apocalypse where the protagonist is awkwardly autistic and insane? It's a weird premise I guess, sort of a reverse 'straight man' thing. Kristen Schaal is the best.

Remember that moment in the pilot when he was talking to his girlfriend mannequin and he breaks her arm off? The music dips to this really low baseline, and Forte gets kicked back into reality. His expression sold it all. It was dark as gently caress and I loved that scene so much. I thought THAT was going to be the show, watching this guy slowly crumble. It's still a unique show and I enjoy it, but i was hoping for a darker character study.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
That show would've been one season long and ended by Phil committing suicide. Basically the premiere over a longer period. Hilarious, but I'm not sure if Fox is looking for that kind of Sunday night comedy.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Thing is that Phil hasn't been any worse off than any of the other survivors until they all got together but he is in a clearly much much worse mental state, his circumstances aren't unique he's just well and truly insane. Is the purpose of the setting merely to allow a completely deranged character interact with normative individuals who kinda have to put up with him cause everyone else is dead and thinning out the genepool is irresponsible?

Obviously none of this matters it's just that the show made some very oddball choices concerning the premise, it's not bad, it's just kinda "huh?".

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Thing is that Phil hasn't been any worse off than any of the other survivors until they all got together but he is in a clearly much much worse mental state, his circumstances aren't unique he's just well and truly insane. Is the purpose of the setting merely to allow a completely deranged character interact with normative individuals who kinda have to put up with him cause everyone else is dead and thinning out the genepool is irresponsible?

Obviously none of this matters it's just that the show made some very oddball choices concerning the premise, it's not bad, it's just kinda "huh?".

Well Phil has the benefit of military training and discipline, Clara Clayton had a companion almost the whole time, Carol seems pretty nuts herself. The fat guy never had many friends before and felt isolated his whole life anyway, where our Phil had a lot that he lost.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I only like Phil and Carol and hope they both accidentally kill off the rest of the cast in hilarious ways.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Decent episode, but obviously Phil is back to his rear end in a top hat ways. Hope this doesn't lead to a downhill spiral like last year.

Maybe I'm reading too much into a comedy show, but I'm wondering if Phil is "on the spectrum". He simply has no idea how to interact with people.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Gynovore posted:

He simply has no idea how to interact with people.

Two years by yourself after watching everyone die will do that to you.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

emanresu tnuocca posted:

At first when he barged in with the gun, I really hated it because Phil being a colossal insane rear end in a top hat was exactly what was souring me on last season. I do gotta say though the 180s he kept doing between "I love you, you're a great person GET YOUR HANDS UP DON'T BE A HERO" was pretty funny so it worked. I guess Phil being a dick can work for me but only if there's a joke in there, and Phil being a dick itself isn't meant to be the joke

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Thing is that Phil hasn't been any worse off than any of the other survivors until they all got together but he is in a clearly much much worse mental state, his circumstances aren't unique he's just well and truly insane.

To be fair, have you ever met anyone from Tucson?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
The thing here that worked was that he wasn't being a dick he was just being an idiot. His comments seemed sincere.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I didn't read the whole gun situation as him being an rear end in a top hat at all. He was simply trying to convince them that he sincerely was sorry, but knew that they wanted to kill him.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This show goes to hell everytime they bring in these extra characters.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I think it'll be better as long as he doesn't go back to his stupid horny dude antics where he was just trying to get laid. If he stays with Carol and is just an unintentional jerk in other ways, I'm not as annoyed. Those two are sweet together and equally crazy.

I still don't like any of the characters other than Phil and Carol, though. They just don't have any real personalities. I like the balls with faces more.

edit: now that I think about it, I would have been fine with them giving voices to the balls instead of adding live humans.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wormil posted:

This show goes to hell everytime they bring in these extra characters.

Yeah I was hoping he'd at least kill the other Phil.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I really liked the episode and look forward to the next one :)

I agree that the show is at its best when it's dark and lonely, I think they can pull off more moments like that going forward - I don't think of the supporting cast as "extras" but I mean if someone else had to die I wouldn't mind

I don't expect we will get a lot of screen-time for Sudeikis but I really want them to move into trying to rescue him / etc - I originally thought that this season would open with Phil and Carol moved to Florida and somehow NASA stuff would be involved or another survivor could turn up (Phil did change that one sign to "moved to Florida"...) and we could then get some more drama / development out of that whole scenario.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Yeah I was hoping he'd at least kill the other Phil.

I'm hoping that New Phil will begin a slide into becoming a new Tandy.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PittTheElder posted:

I'm hoping that New Phil will begin a slide into becoming a new Tandy.

Well he did dump his current girlfriend to get with the new old lady who showed up. Maybe?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
That gun scene was amazing. Everyone disliking it because it reminds them of Phil's antics in season one leading to his isolation, really don't get the show.

The show is all about being the Last Man on earth.

This is what the show is all about. Watching someone be ostracized by the last people on earth is hilarious and incredibly dark.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah the gun scene isn't deep, everyone gets it, just not everyone thinks it's funny.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Informer on accordion isn't getting enough love.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

wormil posted:

Yeah the gun scene isn't deep, everyone gets it, just not everyone thinks it's funny.

Those people are terribly wrong. That's what antisocial Tandy should have been all last season but was just awkward and not funny.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ChesterJT posted:

Those people are terribly wrong. That's what antisocial Tandy should have been all last season but was just awkward and not funny.

Uh, .... I'm not sure how to break this but that scene was awkward and unfunny. It was exactly like the bulk of last season. The problem is Phil is only funny when he's alone. Carol is funny all the time but the other characters have too much dialogue and when their mouth opens the fun stops. When Phil is paired with the others the unfunnyness reaches catastrophic levels.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

wormil posted:

Uh, .... I'm not sure how to break this but that scene was awkward and unfunny. It was exactly like the bulk of last season. The problem is Phil is only funny when he's alone. Carol is funny all the time but the other characters have too much dialogue and when their mouth opens the fun stops. When Phil is paired with the others the unfunnyness reaches catastrophic levels.

Sorry but all of this is wrong except the part about Carol being funny all the time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Carol and Tandy are funny together. As long as they stay together and the rest of the cast slowly gets killed off by their mistakes then I'll be happy. I really would have loved just a straight "Odd Couple at the end of the world" show, but now we got these garbage side characters and we're stuck with them.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Solice Kirsk posted:

"Odd Couple at the end of the world"

Thats the show that should have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

wormil posted:

lol, you're an idiot who can't seem to figure out people like different things. Let it go, don't ruin the funny.

• Locked thread