Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
The gun scene wasn't anything like last season. He was being a moron not an rear end in a top hat. It's a big difference.

Now if you just don't like 'cringe humor' or something than I can see it not working for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
stop defending that terrible scene.

wormil posted:

Yeah the gun scene isn't deep, everyone gets it, just not everyone thinks it's funny.

Ravane posted:

lol, you're an idiot who can't seem to figure out people like different things. Let it go, don't ruin the funny.

Wait, I'm the one who can't figure that out? Stop arguing for the sake of arguing because you suck at it. If your butt hurts because someone disagrees whether a scene from a tv show is funny, maybe you should avoid the internet.

wormil fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 18, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That scene was great.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

wormil posted:

Stop arguing for the sake of arguing because you suck at it. If your butt hurts because someone disagrees whether a scene from a tv show is funny, maybe you should avoid the internet.

Sounds like sage advice...

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wormil posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
stop defending that terrible scene.

Wait, I'm the one who can't figure that out? Stop arguing for the sake of arguing because you suck at it. If your butt hurts because someone disagrees whether a scene from a tv show is funny, maybe you should avoid the internet.
You can disagree all you like, you're an idiot because you keep talking like your opinion somehow matters. nobody gives a gently caress what you think, and speaking in absolutes as if you are the deciding factor on what is funny makes you come off as even more incorrect than you already are.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

... nobody gives a gently caress what you think

Then why make it personal by calling me names just because I dislike the other characters in this show or dislike a particular scene? I'm not the one getting angry and calling people idiots. So apparently you and others do give a gently caress about my opinion. If you agree or disagree, fine. If you want to discuss it or not, fine. I'm not saying these things to troll people but because this is exactly how the show rocketed down hill last season, by spending too much time with the extras and when the show starts the same things this season, it's valid criticism.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wormil posted:

Then why make it personal by calling me names just because I dislike the other characters in this show or dislike a particular scene? I'm not the one getting angry and calling people idiots. So apparently you and others do give a gently caress about my opinion. If you agree or disagree, fine. If you want to discuss it or not, fine. I'm not saying these things to troll people but because this is exactly how the show rocketed down hill last season, by spending too much time with the extras and when the show starts the same things this season, it's valid criticism.

Fair enough, my apologies, I guess I am the Tandy now. It would have been a weird direction for the show to go but I was hoping Phil and Carol just shot everyone on the beach from their ghille suit hidey hill as soon as they found them. I like the first few episodes of the first season when it was basically retarded mythbusters - shooting flamethrowers at piles of TP or bowling with fishtanks, then turning dark as gently caress when Phil tears the mannequin's his girlfriend's arm off and crashes back to reality. The rest of the cast just slows that fun down, so to me it was nice to have a gun waved in their faces even though it was empty.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Fair enough, my apologies, I guess I am the Tandy now. It would have been a weird direction for the show to go but I was hoping Phil and Carol just shot everyone on the beach from their ghille suit hidey hill as soon as they found them. I like the first few episodes of the first season when it was basically retarded mythbusters - shooting flamethrowers at piles of TP or bowling with fishtanks, then turning dark as gently caress when Phil tears the mannequin's his girlfriend's arm off and crashes back to reality. The rest of the cast just slows that fun down, so to me it was nice to have a gun waved in their faces even though it was empty.

I still love you tandy. :bigtran:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Shock collar.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The juice is the opposite of loose.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I hate this show again already.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

raditts posted:

I hate this show again already.

He should've shot them all.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
X FACTOR!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rudoku posted:

He should've shot them all.

Maybe his brother's spaceship will crash into the house and kill them all. That would make this all worth it, the side characters are bigger shits than ever and I have to believe it's for a reason.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

So I've never seen this show before and it's really funny and well shot, but this is hard to watch.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Oh thank God, I thought they were gonna be all "yeah right" and be double extra lovely, but then I remembered MacFarlane doesn't write everything on this block anymore.

...well that was unsettling.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I liked this episode. Maybe I'm too generous with this show.

I enjoyed it when people hated it last season. There's something that really resonates with the whole nature of Tandy's character.

A lot of shows with oafish protagonists work because underneath their oafish surface, the characters have a core of decency. I think this show subverts it... or tests just how unsympathetic a character can push it. Tandy isn't a "good guy" underneath it all. This show tests how much we can sympathize with "that guy". It asks the audience why do we keep forgiving fuckups.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 19, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It's odd, because I get how the side characters' behavior was infuriating, but at the same time, he did hold them all at gunpoint, and that wasn't exactly the first offense. They clearly go way too far in punishing him, but I think it's just that people are making bad decisions, but when there are- as far as anyone can tell- about seven people left on the entire planet you can't really choose your friends.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
So is Todd loving the cow?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I really want these extras to all die.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
gently caress Melissa. What a loving rear end in a top hat for that beer prank. I hope everyone dies except for Phil. They're all terrible. Poor Phil. :ohdear:

Edit: He fuckin saved their lives and they barely gave two shits. Shoulda let them burn.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 19, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ravane posted:

gently caress Melissa. What a loving rear end in a top hat for that beer prank. I hope everyone dies except for Phil. They're all terrible. Poor Phil. :ohdear:

Edit: He fuckin saved their lives and they barely gave two shits. Shoulda let them burn.

Yeah, I really don't get what they're trying to do with this show. Some sort of redemption arc? Why would the audience care if he redeems himself to people who are just as bad as he is, only in a shared delusion? What are the viewers supposed to care about?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Ego-bot posted:

So is Todd loving the cow?

Pretty sure he found a house with solar panels and working solar electricity to power air conditioning, appliances, lights, electronics like a stereo and TV, etc. so he can hog it all to himself without telling anyone like Phil would have in season one. He flipped a switch, and the lights came on.

Ravane posted:

Let's not forget that she also brought him the water knowing full well that he wouldn't be able to drink it with his hands in the stocks, and also alerted the others that he was out of the workout room when all he was doing was getting some cheese and heading back to his punishment quietly without interacting with the others, thus forcing him to live outside with the shock collar. Then the loving beer prank.

At least the others have just let Tandy be with his increasing punishments, even if they still don't like him and find him annoying, but Melissa is just a horrible, bitter scumbag.

EDIT: Also, to tie into the electricity working at Todd's secret home, maybe his story about eating long expired olives and the others' talk about food going bad everywhere means that he has a fridge and freezer to hoard cold food and drinks and a working electrical stove and oven to cook said food with. Dude's pretty big in a post-apocalyptic world, y'know.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 19, 2015

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Yeah, my first impression was that Todd was loving the cow. Still, I don't think you can do on network TV, even in the Year of our Lord 2015.

Still did anyone else notice that the cow wasn't in the shock zone when Tandy was there?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Ravane posted:

Nah man, even with them all being scummy cocksuckers (and Alpha Phil being a loving psycho) Carol was inside

And yea Todd was super indignant about losing everyone's trust so it totally makes sense he has been pulling a Tandy with a house full of AC, running water, etc

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm not really getting the Melissa hate. Obviously, the show is framed from Tandy's POV, and Melissa hates him. But for now, the show has done a good amount to justify why people hate Tandy.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm not really getting the Melissa hate. Obviously, the show is framed from Tandy's POV, and Melissa hates him. But for now, the show has done a good amount to justify why people hate Tandy.

Yes the show made a pretty good case for why all of these people are unlikable, that's why I think the premise is weird as gently caress. I mean, except for Carol, cause Carol is just the best.

I realize that one some level the producers thought it would be a funny gag for Kristen Schaal who is supposedly 'TV Ugly' to be the object of desire for the male-model alpha-male character but seriously now Carol is so much more interesting and compelling than everyone else in the cast it falls kinda flat.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
To clarify, Melissa hating Tandy is justified.

People hating Melissa for hating Tandy is weird.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm not really getting the Melissa hate. Obviously, the show is framed from Tandy's POV,

...no it's not?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

raditts posted:

...no it's not?
He's the protagonist.

Edit: Not going to bother with semantics over "point of view".

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm actually surprised they didn't think Tandy caused the fire.

To me he is coming of as more sympathetic out of the cast because unlike the beer prank, it's clear he's an idiot, and probably on the autistic spectrum, he's not doing any of the crap he does out of malice.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 19, 2015

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Melissa in played by January Jones. What more reason do you people need?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Avalerion posted:

My money is on Carol starting the fire

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Ego-bot posted:

Melissa in played by January Jones. What more reason do you people need?

She's channeling Emma Frost

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I was worried that bringing these garbage characters back would ruin the show again, and it's good to see that my fears are being realized. Anyone else think that the side characters were somehow shoe horned in by execs or producers because they felt that having a minimal cast wasn't gonna sit well with audiences or something?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

He's the protagonist.

Edit: Not going to bother with semantics over "point of view".

Well I mean, semantics doesn't play into it, it's kind of an "is" or "is not" thing and this show most definitely is not.

Avalerion posted:

To me he is coming of as more sympathetic out of the cast because unlike the beer prank, it's clear he's an idiot, and probably on the autistic spectrum, he's not doing any of the crap he does out of malice.

Also putting a shock collar on him because they didn't want him to talk was pretty hosed up.
They don't necessarily have to like him, and he does suddenly gets really insufferable when the other characters show up, but taunting and torturing him is pretty lovely of them. Not to mention burning down his house, that seemed wholly unnecessary.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 19, 2015

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Astro7x posted:

My money is on Carol starting the fire

I thought it was Todd being as he nearly knocked it over when we saw him sneaking off the first time.

ANYHOO this show has quickly become loving unbearable to watch again.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I like to imagine an alternate version of this show where all these characters were just people Phil and Carol met while traveling around the country and accidentally killed in hilarious ways every other episode

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Duke posted:

I like to imagine an alternate version of this show where all these characters were just people Phil and Carol met while traveling around the country and accidentally killed in hilarious ways every other episode

There's a million ways this show could have been better. And they all involve not having the side characters around all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
A whole forum of genius TV writers, but tragically, no producer is interested in infinite Emmys and viewers!

• Locked thread