Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Inkspot posted:

They already had a stockade built. Why would they already have a stockade built?

Maybe they raided a renn faire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Were Tandy and Carol together when they met Melissa? Wouldn't be surprised if he tried to lie about the existence of Carol for a while.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PittTheElder posted:

Were Tandy and Carol together when they met Melissa? Wouldn't be surprised if he tried to lie about the existence of Carol for a while.

They had just got married when they crashed into her. She met them both at the same time. She's actually the one who told him she was horny and wanted to have sex with him.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

PittTheElder posted:

He only lied about Carol to Erica and Gail.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Inkspot posted:

They already had a stockade built. Why would they already have a stockade built?

FYI you are asking this about a show that began the season with Tandy driving a Stealth Bomber around on the ground. Not sure this is a real productive avenue.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
So have the writers ever commented on why this show is all about Phil getting his comeuppance for being horrible, but the other characters except Carol are all awful as well yet we're supposed to view them as the morally superior salt of the earth?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Beeez posted:

So have the writers ever commented on why this show is all about Phil getting his comeuppance for being horrible, but the other characters except Carol are all awful as well yet we're supposed to view them as the morally superior salt of the earth?

Are we? I'm not sure where you're getting that at all.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh god Carol, mash the crickets first.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Bacon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

C'mon Tandy!

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
This is in a very dark and bacon place, I think the fat guys going turbo heel

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Are we? I'm not sure where you're getting that at all.

Every time Phil has screwed up, he gets a punishment from God or Karma or whatever it's supposed to be, or the other characters. In the meantime, every time any character except Todd occasionally does anything lovely they pretty much get away with it and it's treated as part of Phil's comeuppance if their shittiness is directed his way. But a lot of what they do, even to Phil who deserves some consequences for his actions, is vindictive and cruel, and in the case of last week's episode, disproportionate to what Phil did. So where's their karma or comeuppance? Will Ferrell's character was said to be a racist misogynist, but they still mourned his death. The only times I can think of any character except Phil and Todd being portrayed as wrong in their actions is when Carol admitted it wasn't fair to make Phil honor their marriage-under-duress-and-false-pretenses, and when Carol acknowledged that Other Phil was actually willing to leave a man to die in the desert. I know the premise is that Phil is a crazy douche who becomes a better man, but that doesn't mean the other characters are all good folks just because they're foils to Phil.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Beeez posted:

Every time Phil has screwed up, he gets a punishment from God or Karma or whatever it's supposed to be, or the other characters. In the meantime, every time any character except Todd occasionally does anything lovely they pretty much get away with it and it's treated as part of Phil's comeuppance if their shittiness is directed his way.

Except last week I really didn't see the writers as treating Phil's punishment as truly "just". They were clearly going over the top. We've seen the other characters arguing amongst each other, keeping secrets, etc.- they're all flawed. Maybe Phil gets dumped on more than he deserves but it's not casting the others as saints.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Except last week I really didn't see the writers as treating Phil's punishment as truly "just". They were clearly going over the top. We've seen the other characters arguing amongst each other, keeping secrets, etc.- they're all flawed. Maybe Phil gets dumped on more than he deserves but it's not casting the others as saints.

Well, I guess I'm questioning how they want us to interpret these characters, then. That was why I asked if anyone had seen/read anything by the writers that commented on it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They ate a LOT of bacon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That resolved fairly quickly.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Don't you have to execute Tandy now?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

This was actually a pretty fun episode. No one was really overbearing, and it all came back to a decent redemption with Tandy and Todd. One would think they'd move to the house with electricity or somehow transfer the solar panels to the beach house to get something working (as I recall Phil was working on solar panels back in Tucson, so he would have some knowledge of how to do it), but then again they haven't even started a garden or something similar as the food around them expires.

I really hope next week doesn't return to the status quo judging from the preview.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

I liked this episode. I think it gave some vindication to season 1 Tandy. He was totally right, you really can't trust the fats.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That's a terrible way to prepare crickets. You are supposed to kill them by putting them in a freezer for a while. Then you have to remove the legs, since they are barbed and can get stuck in your throat. Afterwards you fry them in a pan with a hint of soy sauce. Now you can eat them like you would eat chips, together with dips. Also you shouldn't eat wild crickets. They are stuffed with parasites.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Another good episode, I just wonder how much Alpha Phil can take before his true colours show to the rest of the group

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
So Tandy can get far enough into a military base to steal a stealth bomber but they couldn't grab a few hundred cases of MRE?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Personally, I love that they have an entire world of resources at their fingertips, all the cars, fuel, shopping centers, libraries, fully self-sufficient and powered houses, etc., and they can't figure out how to live sustainably or avoid having to eat crickets. Tandy's actually the best mad genius of the bunch now that Phil isn't following through on any solar panel and gardening plans, at least he's rigging up train messages and developing wild new garbage disposal methods.

I hope Tandy's brother gets to Earth and sets up his own elaborately awesome self-sufficient compound within, like, a month, and then Tandy and co. stumble on it and wreck it within a week.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the problem is that they haven't had to figure out how to grow their own food since they were just scavenging. Unfortunately it is now long enough since society ended that everything is getting past its expiration date.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Carol has a garden with fresh produce and Tandy has started a farm. Phil is an idiot who doesn't know nearly as much as he pretends he does.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The show will definitely show more unsympathetic aspects of Phil in future episodes now that we're pretty familiar with Tandy and Todd's. We already seen big hints of it.

I am curious when we'll see Jason Sudeikis again. Is he really going to be a once-a-season thing?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
There is an interesting paralel between this and the first season.

In the first episode, Phil ends up being alone on a road trip before moving back to Tuscon.
In the second episode, he does his best to keep Charol in his life.
The third episode deals with lying to Mellisa and Tandy making terrible decisions. (That's a weak argument, I know.)
The fourth one is all about Tandy degrading himself in order to regain trust.
And now the fifth one focuses on Todd.

If you consider episodes 2 and 3 of the first season linked all of that fits there as well. I predict that Tandy will regain everyones trust in the order he met them. Melissa is an exception, since that just didn't work at all. Based on that, I would guess that Phil will show how agressive and unsocial he actually is around episode 10. And in two episodes the cow will die. And the astronaut will appear in the finale.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

muscles like this? posted:

I think the problem is that they haven't had to figure out how to grow their own food since they were just scavenging. Unfortunately it is now long enough since society ended that everything is getting past its expiration date.

From what I gather, the expiration date on canned good is pretty much a cover-our-rear end thing, As long as the can is intact, those green beans will stay good forever.

Decent episode altogether. I expected Todd to be off masturbating to a basement full of anime, but oh well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gynovore posted:

From what I gather, the expiration date on canned good is pretty much a cover-our-rear end thing, As long as the can is intact, those green beans will stay good forever

Yeah I was thinking the same thing whole episode. Forget the bacon (which would have an expiry date even while frozen yeah? Or is that another one we can safely ignore?), I'd be stockpiling the cans that people didn't want to eat due to sell by dates.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing whole episode. Forget the bacon (which would have an expiry date even while frozen yeah? Or is that another one we can safely ignore?), I'd be stockpiling the cans that people didn't want to eat due to sell by dates.

Depends on how frozen it is. Processed meats like bacon can stay edible for long periods frozen, of course there's a difference between edible and tasty.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Forget the bacon (which would have an expiry date even while frozen yeah?

If meat is kept continually frozen at under 0°C it's safe to eat pretty much forever. Freezer burn might make it gross, but it'll still be safe.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

greatn posted:

Carol has a garden with fresh produce and Tandy has started a farm. Phil is an idiot who doesn't know nearly as much as he pretends he does.

He knows how to build stockades.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Seriously, dudes should have just gone to Utah. Iirc harder-core LDS families are really into having long-term stores of food for whatever reason.

But these are also people that couldn't remember/figure out that powdered milk was a thing, so :shrug:

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I just want to see some real Phil (Tandy) and Todd high jinks. Some sweet Laurel and Hardy action.

It's still slightly better than last season.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

FoxTerrier posted:

Seriously, dudes should have just gone to Utah. Iirc harder-core LDS families are really into having long-term stores of food for whatever reason.

All the bars appear to still be well stocked so they can always fall back on margarita pools for nutrition.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

NowonSA posted:

Personally, I love that they have an entire world of resources at their fingertips, all the cars, fuel, shopping centers, libraries, fully self-sufficient and powered houses, etc., and they can't figure out how to live sustainably or avoid having to eat crickets. Tandy's actually the best mad genius of the bunch now that Phil isn't following through on any solar panel and gardening plans, at least he's rigging up train messages and developing wild new garbage disposal methods.

The thing about gasoline is, it actually doesn't store very well. If the canned food had all expired, all the gas in the world would surely be bad. But whatever, this isn't a documentary.

shadok posted:

If meat is kept continually frozen at under 0°C it's safe to eat pretty much forever. Freezer burn might make it gross, but it'll still be safe.

This is true, I can remember reading books as a kid about how they'd find wooly mammoths frozen in the tundra in the 19th and 20th centuries and serve the meat at banquets :v:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

NowonSA posted:

Personally, I love that they have an entire world of resources at their fingertips, all the cars, fuel, shopping centers, libraries, fully self-sufficient and powered houses, etc., and they can't figure out how to live sustainably or avoid having to eat crickets.

The thing is, the survivor group seems to have given up on restarting humanity. Last season, Black Phil was going on about how they need farms and irrigation and sustainability, now they're just sitting by the beach drinking wine. If they were serious about getting things back together, they would have moved to any of California's bazillion farms and started growing crops, and oh yeah, getting the women pregnant.

Of course, like I've said a zillion times before, Maybe I'm Reading Too Much Into A Comedy Show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gynovore posted:

The thing is, the survivor group seems to have given up on restarting humanity. Last season, Black Phil was going on about how they need farms and irrigation and sustainability, now they're just sitting by the beach drinking wine. If they were serious about getting things back together, they would have moved to any of California's bazillion farms and started growing crops, and oh yeah, getting the women pregnant.

Of course, like I've said a zillion times before, Maybe I'm Reading Too Much Into A Comedy Show.

Yeah, you can't really go in expecting realism out of what is probably the cleanest, most well-manicured depiction of the post-apocalypse ever.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
They should make another show like gilligan's island. Instead of stranded on a deserted island they are the last people on earth and then say its a comedy but make it boring and annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The heat is off
The heat is off now

• Locked thread