Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Improviser posted:

universally acclaimed
the empty words of a religious person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Bioshock 2 is a better Doom game than Doom 3.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

quakster posted:

the empty words of a religious person

It's about ethics in game journalism.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
a man making GBS threads into the rear end of a rhinoceros that is clearly enjoying it

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Bioshock 2 is a better Doom game than Doom 3.

doom 3 is a good game

doom 3 is better than half life 2

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Smelly Bohemian posted:

It's kind of weird how a supposedly revolutionary game just comes down to "run around and shoot everything you see. Also, gently caress Ayn Rand."

It's not a great game, OP

As soon as you respawn Unreal Tournament style the first time, all the scary horror tension is gone, and you realize how try-hard this game really is

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax

ElGroucho posted:

As soon as you respawn Unreal Tournament style the first time, all the scary horror tension is gone, and you realize how try-hard this game really is

I do like how everyone in Rapture takes the time to record their thoughts about whatever random thing they're doing and then just haphazardly scatters the tapes everywhere.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like the part where enemies spawn out of thin air, like a computer game from the 90's

dogdisaster
May 31, 2014

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Besides the story Spec Ops the line not being a glitchy pile of poo poo was a nice change of pace considering every spec ops game before it

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Nooner posted:

You guys all jacked off to the system shock computer lady too right?

uhhhh yeah, that's how you're SUPPOSED to beat her

Skilleddk posted:

doom 3 is better than half life 2

heretic

not the game; i'm calling u one

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
It took me like 30 years of video game playing to realize that most of the time I just want really interesting locations full of hosed up things to kill. So yeah Bioshock was pretty good.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

InterFaced posted:

It took me like 30 years of video game playing to realize that most of the time I just want really interesting locations full of hosed up things to kill. So yeah Bioshock was pretty good.

Yeah, a cool premise and enemies can make a game great. Like in Bioshock, fighting mutated dudes in the ruins of a decaying underwater objectivist dystopia is rad as heck. Or other games like fighting supernazis on their moonbase in an alt-history 1960s, that's awesome.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

HJE-Cobra posted:

Or other games like fighting supernazis on their moonbase in an alt-history 1960s, that's awesome.

the highlight of volfenschtein

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax
Related: Why isn't there a loving mac port for fallout yet you fucks

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Initially I was bored to death with Infinite.

Then I started to get more intrigued as to where they were going with it.

Then the ending came and I just said gently caress you to the monitor and Alt-F4ed out.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

ElGroucho posted:

I don't think so, the game is still too scary for me even with respawns. I watched the trailer where it ends with the dude listening to a tape as the windows in the room closed around him and there were dudes climbing on the wall getting ready to kill him in the dark and then I just went "nope, not ever touching this game". I really don't get why that genre has to be so dominated by grimdark settings, I just can't enjoy a game if I feel like a jumpscare can come at any moment. Too tense.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bunch of super-edgy nerds in here

Hey, you know that thing everyone says is good? Well, I think it's bad :c00l:

also bad: The Beatles

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

loquacius posted:

Sorry no one else likes the dumb game you like.

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax

loquacius posted:

It is edgy to have opinions.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

Hey, you know that thing everyone says is bad? Well, I think it's good :c00l:

also good: Bronies

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Console games are far, far superior to PC games. PC games should have died in the mid 90's, there's nothing to them, it's just casual bullshit made for lonely widowed grandmothers. If you're under 70 and play games on a PC you should do the world a favor and set yourself on fire and die a slow screaming death.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

loquacius posted:

its actually bad though

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

loquacius posted:

having an opinion is so fuckin edgy oh man

here's my opinion: you're godawful and should not post

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Parallax Scroll posted:

its actually bad though

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax
I kind of want to play Infinite now, but i have to finish murdering all these little girls first.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It was pretty cool when it came out in 2007 man

more accessible than System Shock 2, but less options on how to do things

neato underwater art-deco objectiveist hellscape is a super cool setting

Bioshock 2 I felt had kinda better gameplay but didn't like it as much overall

Bioshock Infinite was disappointing but not what I would call unenjoyable

Smelly Bohemian posted:

I kind of want to play Infinite now, but i have to finish murdering all these little girls first.

you monster

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 29, 2015

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hobohemian posted:

Sorry no one else likes the dumb game you like.

I'm pretty sure that plenty of people actually like one of the dumb games I like, so I'm not really particularly vulnerable on this point, but sorry I made fun of this awesome thread about how a critically-acclaimed popular thing is Actually Bad and we're all cool for agreeing :)

BioShock had some serious problems in terms of gameplay (I think I spent more time playing Pipe Dream than actually shooting people) and interactive narrative (notice that every time a person talks to you they just so happen to be standing behind a pane of indestructible glass) but did a great job of establishing a really gripping and interesting setting, making a point about traditional game logic that hadn't really been explored before (guy on intercom said to do a thing, so obviously you do it, A Slave Obeys etc etc etc), and making a timely political statement (Ron Paul 2008). It had good art direction and well-implemented RPG elements.

BioShock Infinite managed to match the original in terms of setting and timely political statements but didn't really do anything particularly "new"; it was still a fun play and I liked the anachronistic music covers.

I didn't play BioShock 2.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

lmfao if you think that nobody explored the concept in bioshock before 2007 jesus

agreed on the music covers in infinite, that poo poo was awesome

bioshock sucked because it was this big underwater metropolis but there's like four real people in it and that's lame as poo poo

in bioshock you show up a bit after society starts falling apart, in infinite you rip society apart yourself and that is cool as poo poo

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
My brother hated that pipe dream game so much he literally make a program that played it for him which I thought was kinda cute because the minigame is for 'hacking'.

It's interesting to see people's opinions on bioshock 1 now, I remember when that game came out everyone adored it but now a couple sequels and knockoffs later it's considered retroactively bad. GBS is full of downers.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

loquacius posted:

I'm pretty sure that plenty of people actually like one of the dumb games I like, so I'm not really particularly vulnerable on this point, but sorry I made fun of this awesome thread about how a critically-acclaimed popular thing is Actually Bad and we're all cool for agreeing :)

BioShock had some serious problems in terms of gameplay (I think I spent more time playing Pipe Dream than actually shooting people) and interactive narrative (notice that every time a person talks to you they just so happen to be standing behind a pane of indestructible glass) but did a great job of establishing a really gripping and interesting setting, making a point about traditional game logic that hadn't really been explored before (guy on intercom said to do a thing, so obviously you do it, A Slave Obeys etc etc etc), and making a timely political statement (Ron Paul 2008). It had good art direction and well-implemented RPG elements.

BioShock Infinite managed to match the original in terms of setting and timely political statements but didn't really do anything particularly "new"; it was still a fun play and I liked the anachronistic music covers.

I didn't play BioShock 2.

That's a lot of words to say, " I'm a dumb baby upset about video game opinions."

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I liked the games but the endings all sucked and Infinite got bad as soon as Elizabeth tells you that you and her can just switch realities on a whim so nothing means anything

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

HJE-Cobra posted:

Yeah, a cool premise and enemies can make a game great. Like in Bioshock, fighting mutated dudes in the ruins of a decaying underwater objectivist dystopia is rad as heck. Or other games like fighting supernazis on their moonbase in an alt-history 1960s, that's awesome.

We could be bros. The new order owned too. :)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ryoshi posted:

bioshock sucked because it was this big underwater metropolis but there's like four real people in it and that's lame as poo poo

in bioshock you show up a bit after society starts falling apart, in infinite you rip society apart yourself and that is cool as poo poo

I don't particularly disagree. I also liked how in the beginning segment of Infinite you get to see an idealized version of their utopian society actually functioning as intended, then in the middle segment you see why it was actually p lovely under the surface, then in the end segment you gently caress poo poo up. When you get to Rapture all the cool world-ending stuff has already happened and you have to glean clues together from the audio diaries everyone keeps for some reason. Not as cool.

Hobohemian posted:

That's a lot of words to say, " I'm a dumb baby upset about video game opinions."

Yes, I am the person who is upset in this conversation, that is a perfectly accurate read of the situation *bubble pipe*

Professor Shark posted:

I liked the games but the endings all sucked and Infinite got bad as soon as Elizabeth tells you that you and her can just switch realities on a whim so nothing means anything

I liked this and I also liked the ending but I freely admit that liking both of those things makes me a bad person

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax
I kind of like the pipe game, actually.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Smelly Bohemian posted:

Give it time, you'll hate it eventually

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

loquacius posted:

I don't particularly disagree. I also liked how in the beginning segment of Infinite you get to see an idealized version of their utopian society actually functioning as intended, then in the middle segment you see why it was actually p lovely under the surface, then in the end segment you gently caress poo poo up. When you get to Rapture all the cool world-ending stuff has already happened and you have to glean clues together from the audio diaries everyone keeps for some reason. Not as cool.

actually the latter piecing together is a lot more interesting than the former. Like System Shock 2, you show up to the Van Braun spaceship and everything is hosed. blood all over, everythings a mess and you're walking through the carnage and ruins. Rapture was, and still is, almost unmatched in that department too. Dead Space did this too very succesfully, there's something very intriguing, and eerie about that.

infinite just went from like oh hey look all these people sitting around reading books and having fun, to suddenly there being no one around and occasional building on fire. occasionally 3 rifle dudes might come out and shoot at you but that was it. it honestly didn't feel like it was really in ruin or widespread carnage happened for the most part (also perhaps the atmosphere was still mostly happy go lucky sunny bright color stuff which never felt pressing or depressing)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

*jumps in the air*

*rewires a security camera on the ceiling by solving an intricate water-pipe-based puzzle so that its steampunk robot brain targets people I don't like*

*lands*

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Xaris posted:

actually the latter piecing together is a lot more interesting than the former. Like System Shock 2, you show up to the Van Braun spaceship and everything is hosed. blood all over, everythings a mess and you're walking through the carnage and ruins. Rapture was, and still is, almost unmatched in that department too. Dead Space did this too very succesfully, there's something very intriguing, and eerie about that.

infinite just went from like oh hey look all these people sitting around reading books and having fun, to suddenly there being no one around and occasional building on fire. occasionally 3 rifle dudes might come out and shoot at you but that was it. it honestly didn't feel like it was really in ruin or widespread carnage happened for the most part (also perhaps the atmosphere was still mostly happy go lucky sunny bright color stuff which never felt pressing or depressing)

There are points here too -- really I just would have been happier if BioShock 1's "lore" was presented in a better format than audio diaries

Like, an interactive flashback sequence here or there with whatever pseudo-sciencey explanation would have been great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Smelly Bohemian posted:

Minigames to use abilities or travel or whatever can be fun for a bit but I feel like inevitably there will be a moment where it's a frustration and from that point on they become somewhat of a drag, sort of like trash mobs or random encounters.

The lego ship in kingdom hearts comes to mind.

• Locked thread