Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
fantasize for a moment that troops actually had to be deployed in the states: the first time some dug in cracker takes a potshot at a convoy or helicopter every troop is going to taste that shoot or be shot instinct hammered in during basic training.

also you may see a few troops go awol but they were too smart for the armed forces to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toadvine posted:

lol yea totally they dont actively squash independent thought in the military or anything.

youve never talked to an actual irl soldier in your life

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Toadvine posted:

lol yea totally they dont actively squash independent thought in the military or anything.
You can try but people aren't that malleable by the time they're of squaddiable age.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

we should take all the fetuses people try to abort and raise them in test tubes as supersoldiers

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
:agreed:

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

BeefThief posted:

we should take all the fetuses people try to abort and raise them in test tubes as supersoldiers

A disproportionate number of them will have Downs syndrome.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Yaldabaoth posted:

it's more likely the military would take over if the president actually tried to stop them from raping and killing everything in site

what's likely isn't relevant, since the poll asks for an absolute statement, not a statement of probability

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Robo Reagan posted:

youve never talked to an actual irl soldier in your life

soldiers are full of pompous bluster but at the end of the day they are rage-addled idiots who kill for money in a hierarchical groupthink organization

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Whiskey Sours posted:

A disproportionate number of them will have Downs syndrome.

oh yeah no we can't have a bunch of retards in the military that would be terrible

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Tezzor posted:

soldiers are full of pompous bluster but at the end of the day they are rage-addled idiots who kill for money in a hierarchical groupthink organization

lol if you think this. the vast majority of soldiers never get any closer to killing anything than you do.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

corpuscollossus posted:

This. There is no scenario where soldiers are invited to slaughter browns where they aren't punching the air and yelling oorah and trying to hump the barrel of their weapons.

soldiers don't yell "oorah", dummy, that's the marines

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

this poll doesnt mean much inherently because yeah what if demons possessed the government, but we all know what it really means

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

lol if you think this. the vast majority of soldiers never get any closer to killing anything than you do.

except the whole deliberately and voluntarily being actively complicit in killing for money part

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Tezzor posted:

except the whole deliberately and voluntarily being actively complicit in killing for money part

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
trying to convince tezzor that soldiers are human is like trying to convince 3O that poors are human

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
no one doubts that soldiers are genetically homo sapiens

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
your average soldier is a mechanic, or a cook, or a truck driver. true someone thousands of miles away might be killing someone while wearing more or less the same uniform they are, but they aren't personally any more involved in that than you are for paying the taxes that buy the bullet/hellfire missiles/jdams.

I should know by now that the majority of civilians, and the vast majority of leftists, live in some kind of loving hollywood fantasy world where movies like the hurt locker seem believable but it still surprises me every time.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
the entire loving time I was in afghanistan I'm not even sure I killed anybody and gently caress me if I wasn't trying to

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

your average soldier is a mechanic, or a cook, or a truck driver. true someone thousands of miles away might be killing someone while wearing more or less the same uniform they are, but they aren't personally any more involved in that than you are for paying the taxes that buy the bullet/hellfire missiles/jdams.

I should know by now that the majority of civilians, and the vast majority of leftists, live in some kind of loving hollywood fantasy world where movies like the hurt locker seem believable but it still surprises me every time.

actually they are personally more involved, what with their voluntary and active affiliation for direct personal benefit

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Soldiers are cool and get mad pussies

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
by number i bet there are largely more truck drivers, attorneys, cooks and accountants affiliated with the mafia than full-time legbreakers

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

JADE HELM BITCH

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Tezzor posted:

actually they are personally more involved, what with their voluntary and active affiliation for direct personal benefit

voluntary and active affiliation with what

if your job is turning a loving wrench then you aren't killing anybody. you are part of a very large organisation that does, but this doesn't personally involve you in the killing any more than paying taxes does.
if your argument is that their involvement is more voluntary, then this is true, but only for foreign nationals. those who are american would still be tax-paying members of society if they weren't in the service, so no, their involvement is not any more voluntary than yours is.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Please, no one would whine harder than the Republicans in the event of an actual military takeover.

Texas Republicans nearly totally lost their poo poo over Jade Helm alone.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

the entire loving time I was in afghanistan I'm not even sure I killed anybody and gently caress me if I wasn't trying to

thank u for ur service

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Tezzor posted:

by number i bet there are largely more truck drivers, attorneys, cooks and accountants affiliated with the mafia than full-time legbreakers

This analogy fails because the mafia is in the business of drugs, gambling and prostitution while the USMC is in the business of rape.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Tezzor posted:

and this would be comparable, if it were possible for an army truck driver to turn state's evidence and have the united states government arrested and sent to prison

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

could you imagine a coup environment

armored vehicles and people with assault rifles on manhunts, guarded free speech zones, massive government spying, targeted killing of americans etc

scary poo poo

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

a real jerk posted:

thank u for ur service

*stares at shoes, shoves hands in pockets, kicks a can*

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

voluntary and active affiliation with what

if your job is turning a loving wrench then you aren't killing anybody. you are part of a very large organisation that does, but this doesn't personally involve you in the killing any more than paying taxes does.
if your argument is that their involvement is more voluntary, then this is true, but only for foreign nationals. those who are american would still be tax-paying members of society if they weren't in the service, so no, their involvement is not any more voluntary than yours is.

you turn the wrench on the machine that kills people and you would yourself kill people if ordered to. the tax argument is water-muddying nonsense by murder apologists. i';m so sorry

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Brown Menace posted:

armored vehicles and people with assault rifles on manhunts, guarded free speech zones, massive government spying, targeted killing of americans etc

scary poo poo

As much as people like making fun of the gun nuts, they're basically a US version of the taliban and would make the government's hypothetical military takeover impossible

Seriously dudes get out of the military then join local militias and train dudes because they're all paranoid af lol

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

and this would be comparable, if it were possible for an army truck driver to turn state's evidence and have the united states government arrested and sent to prison

i should know better than to argue with a US soldier about moral responsibility. like explaining calculus to a seagull. they simply lack the inherent ability

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Robo Reagan posted:

As much as people like making fun of the gun nuts, they're basically a US version of the taliban and would make the government's hypothetical military takeover impossible

Seriously dudes get out of the military then join local militias and train dudes because they're all paranoid af lol

:eyepop:

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Robo Reagan posted:

you might have missed the joke

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.
gotta hand it to the repubs though, when they say 'support the troops' they fuckin mean it

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

The Brown Menace posted:

scary poo poo

Aka Baltimore in April

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Don't worry, OP

All the people advocating for a military take over are busy making GBS threads in their depends in some convalescent home and will shortly be molderin' in the ground, where they most rightfully belong

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Tezzor posted:

you turn the wrench on the machine that kills people and you would yourself kill people if ordered to. the tax argument is water-muddying nonsense by murder apologists. i';m so sorry

lol if you loving think this, what are you basing this assessment on? the vast majority of the machines have nothing to do with killing people and the vast majority of fobbits would freeze up and poo poo their pants if they were ever remotely in danger.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

i should know better than to argue with a US soldier about moral responsibility. like explaining calculus to a seagull. they simply lack the inherent ability

Tezzor why do you look like that mask Arnold Schwarzenegger throws away in the scene from Total Recall where he is trying to get by the security checkpoint

You know the one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Tezzor posted:

if by "moral responsibility" you mean "culpability", that isn't really a question here, since killing people in war is good the word culpability is inapplicable. I don't think you should be erroneously crediting fobbits with my accomplishments, tia.

• Locked thread