Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Welcome to the Competitive League of Legends thread, created specifically for the 2015 World Championships!

For those of you looking for the main League thread, go here.

League of Legends is a competitive video game that falls under the distinction of MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) and is played by millions of people all over the world. Naturally, with a game based in skill, there is a prime competitive scene that is hugely popular and this tournament is our annual "Best in the World" championship. Here is the schedule for the event.

It's been a long road to get to here, and each team has had a different road. Let's meet them!

The Teams

(Common team name abbreviations in parentheses by full team name)
NA LCS
Cloud9 (C9)

World's Roster
Balls - Top
Hai - Jungle
Incarnati0n - Mid
Sneaky - AD Carry
LemonNation - Support
Bubbadub - Coach

Team Solo Mid (TSM)

Dyrus - Top
Santorin - Jungle
Bjergsen - Mid
WildTurtle - AD Carry
Lustboy - Support
Locodoco - Coach

Counter Logic Gaming (CLG)

ZionSpartan - Top
Xmithie - Jungle?
Pobelter - Mid
Doublelift - AD Carry
Aphromoo - Support
Huhi - Fill Kappa
Zikzlol - Coach

EU LCS
Fnatic

Huni - Top
Reignover - Jungle
Febiven - Mid
Rekkles - AD Carry
Yellowstar - Support
ShLaYa - Sub
Deilor - Coach

H2k-Gaming (H2K)

Odoamne - Top
loulex - Jungle
Ryu - Mid
Hjarnan - AD Carry
kaSing - Support
BetongJocke - Sub
PR0LLY - Coach

Origen

sOAZ - Top
Amazing - Jungle
xPeke - Mid
Niels - AD Carry
mithy - Support
Araneae - Sub
Hermit - Coach

LMS (Taiwanese Region)
ahq e-Sports Club (ahq)

Ziv - Top
Mountain - Jungle
westdoor - Mid
AN - AD Carry
Albis - Support
GreenTea - Sub
Backstairs - Coach

Yoe Flash Wolves

Steak - Top
Karsa - Jungle
Maple - Mid
NL - AD Carry
SwordArt - Support
KKramer - Sub
Fluidwind - Coach

LCK (Korea)
KOO Tigers

Smeb - Top
Hojin - Jungle
KurO - Mid
PraY - AD Carry
GorillA - Support
Wisdom - Sub
NoFe - Coach

KT Rolster

ssumday - Top
Score - Jungle
Nagne - Mid
Arrow - AD Carry
Piccaboo - Support
Fixer - Sub
Lee Ji-Hoon - Coach

SKTelecom T1 (SKT)

MaRin - Top
bengi - Jungle
Faker - Mid
Bang - AD Carry
Wolf - Support
Easyhoon - Sub
Kkoma - Coach

LPL (China)
Edward Gaming (EDG)

Koro1 - Top
Clearlove - Jungle
Pawn - Mid
Deft - AD Carry
Meiko - Support
AmazingJ - Sub
Fireloli - Emergency Sub
Aaron - Coach

LGD Gaming (LGD)

Acorn - Top
TBQ - Jungle
GODV - Mid
imp - AD Carry
Pyl - Support
Flame - Sub
xiaoxi - Emergency Sub
FireFox - Coach

Invictus Gaming (iG)

ZZitai - Top
KaKAO - Jungle
Rookie - Mid
Kid - AD Carry
Kitties - Support
Time - Sub
Mafa - Coach

IWC (Wildcard Teams)
paiN Gaming (Brazil)

Mylon - Top
SirT - Jungle
Kami - Mid
brTT - AD Carry
Dioud - Support
PAADA - Sub
MiT - Coach

Bangkok Titans (Thailand)

WarL0cK - Top
007x - Jungle
G4 - Mid
Lloyd - AD Carry
Moss - Support
QaiZer - Sub
Cabbage - Coach

THE GROUP DRAWS

rip tsm

Helpful Links:
LoL eSports: Riot's official site for Competitive Play. This will also be a hub for all running streams when Worlds is actually happening as well as the official story lines Riot tries to put out for their pro scene. You can usually check the thread during conversation of said article to get the bare basics rundown of the story.
Abios Gaming: Spiritual successor to eSportsCalendar. Tells you when competitive matches are going to be played, as a bonus lets you know about other competitive games and high viewer streams of professional players.
eSportsPedia: Actual successor to Leaguepedia when all the original staff left that site and formed this one. Encyclopedia of Professional League Knowledge.
Reddit: LoL Event Vods: The very best place to get spoiler free VoD of competitive games, updated minutes after they finish, especially good for any games played out of your time zone.
Group Stage (and eventual Main Stage) Pick 'Em, get 100% correct and you'll earn Championship Riven, one of the Top 5 Rarest Skins in the game! Only 10 people did this last year.
THE MEMES N' GIFS SECTIONto be updated with more and more stupid poo poo as time goes on

Loco and Regi 100-0 in a second
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un0BTKIshBg
WTF 2 Shens?

Luna Was Here fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
thread made at request of Flameingback (OP of previous thread) to update it for the World Championship's as he will be unable to make the new one

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
WHO WILL IMP PSYCHOLOGICALLY DESTROY THIS WORLDS?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I've never seen the Doublelift one, that's amazing

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

hi my name is rabidsquid and i love Lao Gan Die Gaming, with my favorite player, Imp

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Luna Was Here posted:

LMS (Taiwanese Region)
ahq e-Sports Club (ahq)

Zov - Top
Mountain - Jungle
westdoor - Mid
AN - AD Carry
Albis - Support
GreenTea - Sub
Backstairs - Coach

ziv not zov

Edit: Also, Rekkles / Deft romance is the best storyline at worlds

Wol fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 29, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Here is best player at Worlds, Faker, doing my favorite league of legends play ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He_j9g4SSMw

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That Legends Rising documentary is out.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I really hope at least one asian team crashes and burns during groups, ideally LGD with TSM and OG advancing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i hope all the americn teams get eliminated as early as possible so we dont have to hear USA USA chants ever

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I hope every Western team gets eaten by wild dogs

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

CODChimera posted:

I really hope at least one asian team crashes and burns during groups, ideally LGD with TSM and OG advancing.

That would require two Asian teams crashing and burning

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
This is for KABUM!

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

iSurrender posted:

This is for KABUM!

oh yeah, how could we forget the most important image of all for the op:

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Endorph posted:

i hope all the americn teams get eliminated as early as possible so we dont have to hear USA USA chants ever

I hope Reginald actually dies irl

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I hope all the Korean and Chinese teams play to the best of their ability, making this the best and most competitive Worlds ever.

Also making this post so I can edit in a prediction for who wins the whole thing after the final has been played and look really smart. Until I get a chance to edit it in, I'm going with SKT because Faker is as good as the hype.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

seizure later posted:

I hope Reginald actually dies irl

Of a seizure?????

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Also, controversial opinion incoming: The best single play ever made at any Worlds was by Snoopeh

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The Mash posted:

I hope all the Korean and Chinese teams play to the best of their ability, making this the best and most competitive Worlds ever.

Also making this post so I can edit in a prediction for who wins the whole thing after the final has been played and look really smart. Until I get a chance to edit it in, I'm going with SKT because Faker is as good as the hype.

I think LGD is the best team in the world but I am not entirely certain that the best team will win. In reality I think this tournament is mostly going to be decided by which teams are best on a patch basically nobody has played many major competitive games on.

I do think the individual talent level on LGD is high enough and their macro play is good enough that they're favored to win against anyone though.

The only prediction I have is that KOO and LGD are going to look even better than people think since pick ban will have enough top laners that you can't afford to let through allowing their otherwise subpar junglers to be able to pick a more relevant Lee Sin.

TBQ is actually really, really good on Lee Sin and it's probably Hojins best champ.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I would like for Ssumday to pull a Boxbox-style 1v5 pentakill on Riven because every team has to spend all their bans on juggernaughts this patch

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Smeb and Zzitai are the dudes you're looking for if you want some sick Riven play

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

rabidsquid posted:

Smeb and Zzitai are the dudes you're looking for if you want some sick Riven play

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
I'm hoping some team manages to pull off a sub 20 minute victory off the backs of some dumb Mordekaiser comp.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

I think LGD is the best team in the world but I am not entirely certain that the best team will win. In reality I think this tournament is mostly going to be decided by which teams are best on a patch basically nobody has played many major competitive games on.

The best team will win. Properly adapting to patches and finding the op picks is part of being a good team and if a team can't do that then they don't deserve to win.

Crazy Larry posted:

I'm hoping some team manages to pull off a sub 20 minute victory off the backs of some dumb Mordekaiser comp.

Will be very interesting to see how much he is played.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

rabidsquid posted:

TBQ is actually really, really good on Lee Sin and it's probably Hojins best champ.

Also really, really good on Lee: Clearlove, Bengi.

I think it will be a highly contested pick.

Crazy Larry posted:

I think two to three teams will pull the "oh we can beat mord" card in p/b in the group stages and will get utterly destroyed, unless it's SKT playing BKT or something. Then it will be perma-banned all tournament.

Also likely on permaban status: Darius.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Please put this loving horseshit in the OP:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

CODChimera posted:

The best team will win. Properly adapting to patches and finding the op picks is part of being a good team and if a team can't do that then they don't deserve to win.

With how drastic some patches are this would essentially be like making shots in the restricted area worth 7 points for the NBA playoffs.

Although ultimately it's why Imp has been the best ADC in the world for the summer split, since his ability to adapt to every single meta is unparalleled.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

CODChimera posted:

Jatt is that you ?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

The Mash posted:

Also, controversial opinion incoming: The best single play ever made at any Worlds was by Snoopeh

You can't just say that without giving us the link. I want some Snoopeh

Sexpansion posted:

Please put this loving horseshit in the OP:

Can we not call anymore attention than absolutely nessecary to Quickshot?
Like every caster at worlds has something going for them (well maybe not Jatt), Riv really improved this year and can really hype a game up, Phreak at least has some good synergy with Kobe, Krepo knows what he's talking about even though he talks very much. Quickshot has nothing.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Wuxi posted:

Can we not call anymore attention than absolutely nessecary to Quickshot?
Like every caster at worlds has something going for them (well maybe not Jatt), Riv really improved this year and can really hype a game up, Phreak at least has some good synergy with Kobe, Krepo knows what he's talking about even though he talks very much. Quickshot has nothing.

I know that I'm on the outside looking in here but I actually like Jatt a lot. I also like Zirene. The other NA casters I could take or leave.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Imp is the best player at Worlds quote me on this

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Sexpansion posted:

I know that I'm on the outside looking in here but I actually like Jatt a lot.

Ahh

Ahhh

Ahhhh

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

rabidsquid posted:

"best player not named faker"

I'm actually not even confident about that, Imp is really loving good.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Speaking of predictions I would like to call attention to the fact that I predicted 1) Dig making the NA playoffs 2) at the expense of C9

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3721471&pagenumber=4&perpage=40#post445679156

Sexpansion posted:

"best player not named faker"

I'm actually not even confident about that, Imp is really loving good.

Deft was better than Faker at MSI and now Imp will be at Worlds. I don't think there is an ADC on the level of Imp who can perform in essentially any kind of macro situation and that opens up so many compositions for LGD. Faker is Faker, and him getting a lead is a really essential part of SKTs game plan of "never have to team fight in mid game without a massive gold lead" but I still think Imp does more for his team.

Also for what it's worth I am just biased to really like watching good ADC play

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

rabidsquid posted:

i do kind of wonder actually. faker is the best player in the world but as a mid laner he benefits from the fact that in every single meta, mid is either the hardest or at least the second hardest carrying position. mid has never been in a lovely situation like when adc's were just sivir bots, and even then imp still shines. there is no adc who is close to him imo.

imp has always been a total beast. it's cool as well that when he was in ssw people said he was only good because of mata, and now he's proved them all wrong. idk if he's for sure the best but he is my fav player.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Sexpansion posted:

I know that I'm on the outside looking in here but I actually like Jatt a lot. I also like Zirene. The other NA casters I could take or leave.

I like Jatt as well. He has said some silly things recently though(not the Balls thing, that was funny), which seemed to have earned him quite a lot of hate.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Oh also I would just like to say for the record that I agree that LGD is the most talented team at worlds, but I do not think they will win. SKT or EDG will win.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lovechop posted:

i do kind of wonder actually. faker is the best player in the world but as a mid laner he benefits from the fact that in every single meta, mid is either the hardest or at least the second hardest carrying position. mid has never been in a lovely situation like when adc's were just sivir bots, and even then imp still shines. there is no adc who is close to him imo.

imp has always been a total beast. it's cool as well that when he was in ssw people said he was only good because of mata, and now he's proved them all wrong. idk if he's for sure the best but he is my fav player.

Yeah, in retrospect the accusation that he got carried by Mata is hilarious. Also Imp has proven to be better than Deft simply because of his ability to adapt to the meta. He can play in a 1v2, he can hard carry if given the jungle focus, he can and will beat you in laning. He's probably the best Kog'maw in the world and that's without the team ever playing any kind of "protect" comp, his positioning is so flawless that he can just run Kog with whatever.

Also re: Mordekaiser talk, I actually don't think he's going to be a serious problem at Worlds or need to be P/B status. Even with him being idiotically powerful I think the limitation he imposes on P/B as well as macro strategy is going to be too big of a downside. Right now one of the biggest strengths of a lot of genuinely good teams is unlocking their support to roam with the jungler, subverting the laning phase and transitioning into the mid game while helping to control the mid and enemy jungle. You literally cannot lane swap a Morde and unlock your support. I just don't think he's strong enough to make up for that.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Wuxi posted:

You can't just say that without giving us the link. I want some Snoopeh

First 3 results on Google for "snoopeh Worlds" is this clip but ok here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRtNoFelAuI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED