Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jenny Angel posted:

Super-competitive regions are a big part of this as well, I feel like. With how insane LPL was this split, for example, I can't imagine any of the teams that made it to Worlds left much in the tank.

Teams are complaining that LGD aren't taking scrims seriously and there is speculation that they aren't going to show anything in groups

Sexpansion posted:

Also, there are some serious omissions from that top 20 list, but Faker -> Imp -> GodV -> Kakao -> Rookie isn't a horrible top five at all.

I would have had Clearlove up there above KaKao but that looks like a top five I would make. Absolutely stunned that they placed GODV third where I would have.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
In the run up to The International 4 (The yearly Big Dota 2 Tournament) Chinese team DK was reportedly not taking scrims seriously by running things like jungle Juggernaut (think something like jungle Irelia in the current meta) to the point where other teams refused to scrim with them. Come the actual tournament, they utterly trashed several teams running... jungle Juggernaut.

What I'm saying is that LGD is gonna clown some fools at worlds running Heimer top and adc Quinn

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Koro is apparently not starting for EDG like most people speculated, so I guess AmazingJ really will start

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Flameingblack posted:

Koro is apparently not starting for EDG like most people speculated, so I guess AmazingJ really will start

this is fairly big imo

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sexpansion posted:

I think at least one group will have an upset, and I think B and D are the groups with the highest chance of that occurring. I feel like it's about 33/33/33 that it's IG, FNC or KT, so after a bunch of back and forth I went with IG not making it out of groups.

Mine is identical to this, except I have H2K and bangkok titans flipped.

I flat out think people underestimate Ahq. Also Invictus ran the gauntlet, and doesn't seem to be better than the other Chinese teams, even with the talent they pulled from Korea. Hell, Liquid got Piglet and look at what happened. Sure they're a good contender to make it out of pools, but I wouldn't consider them losing as an upset.

EDG/SKT is a complete 50/50 toss up.

I've seen some analysis say KT Rolster has had some rough spots, but they were definitely the number 2 team in Korea once the summer split rolled around.

Post Alone
Mar 29, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

What I'm saying is that LGD is gonna clown some fools at worlds running Heimer top and adc Quinn

After a year of garbage NA and EU LCS matches, my body is ready.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Murder She Twote posted:

After a year of garbage NA and EU LCS matches, my body is ready.

the unfortunate truth is that if its not cloud 9 playing karma and rengar, na lcs matches involve meta champions being played terribly, rather than cool and good pocket picks being played wonderfully.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Safety Scissors posted:

Mine is identical to this, except I have H2K and bangkok titans flipped.

I flat out think people underestimate Ahq. Also Invictus ran the gauntlet, and doesn't seem to be better than the other Chinese teams, even with the talent they pulled from Korea. Hell, Liquid got Piglet and look at what happened. Sure they're a good contender to make it out of pools, but I wouldn't consider them losing as an upset.

EDG/SKT is a complete 50/50 toss up.

I've seen some analysis say KT Rolster has had some rough spots, but they were definitely the number 2 team in Korea once the summer split rolled around.

The real purpose of worlds for me is to shore up where the not quite as good chinese and korean teams stack up right now. EDG and LGD are flat better than KT and KOO. I have no idea what the order of IG, KT, and KOO should be.

[the true tragedy is that QG is not at worlds, rip just rip.]

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Schnorkles posted:

[the true tragedy is that QG is not at worlds, rip just rip.]

I wanted to see them school kids so badly, intentionally throwing early games and then teamfighting to win just for the hell of it :( loving IG.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

IXIX posted:

I wanted to see them school kids so badly, intentionally throwing early games and then teamfighting to win just for the hell of it :( loving IG.

Rookie and Kakao played out of their loving minds the entire regional qualifier and they honestly probably deserve to be there...

but QG is cool and good and hilarious and watching them stomp someone like h2k would have been breathtaking.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I just want to see EDG play Fireloli in groups, he's basically their mascot at this point

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Redmark posted:

I just want to see EDG play Fireloli in groups, he's basically their mascot at this point

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
the main reason TPA won in season 2 was because they were the best team but I'm glad people are throwing cry fits about games they didn't even watch four years after the fact.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
keven just keven the same man who predicted a 3-0 TSM sweep, and predicts the same sweep even when TSM nearly crumbles apart at like every Bo3/5 opportunity they've had the last two years with their supposed most dominant team roster ever

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I watched all of season 2 and the thing I remember most is how badly WE got robbed.

Luckily IPL5 happened.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

rabidsquid posted:

Teams are complaining that LGD aren't taking scrims seriously and there is speculation that they aren't going to show anything in groups

I would have had Clearlove up there above KaKao but that looks like a top five I would make. Absolutely stunned that they placed GODV third where I would have.

Yeah Clearlove would be my #3.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
man my worlds tickets went for over £100 each, they're so pricy now

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

the main reason TPA won in season 2 was because they were the best team but I'm glad people are throwing cry fits about games they didn't even watch four years after the fact.

I watched every game and also all the IEMs leading up to that worlds where it was conclusively established that m5 were the best team of all time ever and also a bunch of cool dudes

m5 vs clg.eu was the best rivalry ever and the only people I pity more than those who didn't follow it are those that were in favour of clg.eu during that time

It's hardly controversial to say that m5 were the best team in the world at S2 worlds and the main reason why TPA managed to beat them was that the tournament format allowed them to be basically complete unknowns whereas m5 were incredibly scoutable from their constant lunch-money-stealing-antics in the IEMs

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

The Mash posted:

It's hardly controversial to say that m5 were the best team in the world at S2 worlds and the main reason why TPA managed to beat them was that the tournament format allowed them to be basically complete unknowns whereas m5 were incredibly scoutable from their constant lunch-money-stealing-antics in the IEMs

It's complete :psyduck: history revisionism.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

No it isn't, m5 were solid favourites going into S2 Worlds, ahead of Azubu Frost. m5 2-0'd both Frost and Blaze a couple months later at Katowice. At the time m5 played TPA at S2 worlds, TPA had played a total of two games at worlds and hadn't participated in tournaments with western teams at all prior to that.

The Mash fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 30, 2015

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
The question people were asking leading up to S2 worlds was if M5 would be able to beat the Korean teams. (They were favored to win by western fans who didn't follow Korea.)

And in between worlds and Katowice M5 lost to TPA again (0-3) at IPL.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im glad tpa won, because they're cool

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

The Mash posted:

No it isn't, m5 were solid favourites going into S2 Worlds,

Even if that's true, it doesn't mean it was an accurate read of the situation. In fact, despite the hype around them, they were eliminated in the semi-final by the eventual winners of the tournament. Perhaps those guys were the strongest team at Worlds that year.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Well following the most direct line of thought, whoever wins any tournament is always the best team at that tournament, no exceptions. Just doesn't leave a lot of room for discussion. I'm not convinced TPA had won if their route to the games vs m5 and AZF had been different. They were a lot harder to scout than the other top teams and my argument is that that gave them a big edge. Player-for-player, both m5, AZF and arguably CLG.eu were better, and m5 had just spent the better part of a year leading up to the event innovating the meta with every new tournament they played in, so it's not like it was just a matter of individual skill vs team play either.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Yes well if this happened or that happened then maybe someone else would've won.

But it didn't, TPA won and it was awesome.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
I just want every western team to get pooped on so all the silly NA/EU fans will stop dreaming.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I still can't believe how lovely the formats for s2 and s3 were

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
who wants a quickshot avatar

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lovechop posted:

Only if a hillbilly is looking at him, and the writing says "This boy ain't quick."

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Lovechop posted:

only if his head explodes like in Scanners

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

More proof that China is going to win worlds: http://lol.qq.com/act/a20150826lolkfc/index.htm?atm_cl=ad&atm_pos=6412&e_code=169093

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Lovechop posted:

who the gently caress would say no to this

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Schnorkles posted:

who the gently caress would say yes to this

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

More proof that China is going to win worlds

All the proof that is needed:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65J2ISZILgo

GIVE IT TO ME NOW

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

They are never going to top the season 3 hype trailer, are they?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Firebert posted:

I was just thinking this, they reached the pinnacle and now there's nothing better.

They need the OGN guys to make something for them.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

I'd like the worst photo of Quickshot available with some variation of "Bjergson > Faker"

I think it sums up my feelings very well about na and eu lcs.

e: also being in charge is great because I can declare that my productivity will be poo poo for the tail end of each week for the month of October and no one can do anything about it :getin:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
is it tomorrow yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

Firebert posted:

The anime poo poo?

• Locked thread