Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Sombreros are racist unless one submits to a blood test establishing proper mestizaje between Iberian and Mixtec/Nahua/Maya blood.

I, for one, am delighted that the University of East Anglia has its priorities straight.

[W]e know that when it comes to cultural appropriation the issues can sometimes be difficult to understand and many don’t realise that they may be about to cause offence or break a policy. Because racism isn't about intent, it's about appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
This is why White Pride rallies are going to come back.

EDIT: Nope, because we're already banning White heritage in America so I guess the only proper genocide is a white genocide. :shrug:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm glad that people have realized that cultural appropriation is problematic and are making moves to support cultural segregation instead.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

TheImmigrant posted:

Sombreros are racist unless one submits to a blood test establishing proper mestizaje between Iberian and Mixtec/Nahua/Maya blood.

I, for one, am delighted that the University of East Anglia has its priorities straight.

[W]e know that when it comes to cultural appropriation the issues can sometimes be difficult to understand and many don’t realise that they may be about to cause offence or break a policy. Because racism isn't about intent, it's about appearance.

British student unions are universally completely useless and/or the scum of the earth. They are also considered a complete joke by about 3/4 of the student body as a rule. The problem is that generally no normal ableist slur detected people doing a real degree have the time or inclination to wade through the cesspool of student politics, so the only people running for positions are trust fund hipstrs doing land economy or [insert buzzword] studies with really strong opinions about things who then stand unopposed against the "none of the above" option during elections that hardly anyone realises are happening in the first place. When they inevitably implement bullshit policies concerning their pet peeves, everyone else shakes their head but can't be arsed to do anything about it because who the gently caress cares about student politics that will stop affecting you in like two years.

e:

Control Volume posted:

I'm glad that people have realized that cultural appropriation is problematic and are making moves to support cultural segregation instead.

Sadly, the prime advocate for segregation is currently probated. But we will surely have a productive discussion about the merits of putting the world's subjectively underprivileged cultures into an open air zoo in D&D despite this setback.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 29, 2015

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Funny, the article appears to have nothing to do with the OP?

quote:

Union officials pointed to a key advertising policy sent to all stallholders before the freshers’ fair that bans potentially racist imagery. It reads: “Discriminatory or stereotypical language or imagery aimed towards to any group or individual based on (discriminatory) characteristics will not be permitted as part of our advertising.”

The policy specifies 15 types of discrimination, including colour, ethnic origin, and nationality. When the ban was pointed out to workers on the Pedro’s stall, they were happy to stop the promotion, according to a report in The Tab, a student newspaper.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Funny, the article appears to have nothing to do with the OP?

Considering advertisement sombreros to be culturally appropriated racist tools of oppression will surely protect the completely oppressed UK Mexican minority that definitely exists in the way student union occifers imagine and there exists no country in which Mexican culture isn't oppressed.

i.e. it's still dumb even if you think the OP is dumb, too

also lol at the well-known bastion of journalistic integrity and factual accuracy The Tab being cited as a source :thumbsup: (in this case the thing actually happened though)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
OP is racist for attempting to appropriate good posting culture but instead producing a crude, totemic mockery

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

OP is racist for attempting to appropriate good posting culture but instead producing a crude, totemic mockery

I look forward to a day when people are not judged by the quality of their posts, but the colour of their avatars.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

blowfish posted:

Sadly, the prime advocate for segregation is currently probated. But we will surely have a productive discussion about the merits of putting the world's subjectively underprivileged cultures into an open air zoo in D&D despite this setback.

Explain this. There's a segregation advocate on D&D?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

TheImmigrant posted:

Explain this. There's a segregation advocate on D&D?

There has been a cultural appropriation thread previously, and posters who shall not be named advocated policies which would effectively segregate all cultures that are deemed to be of insufficiently similar oppression level to preserve their purity of essence or something.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

White people are insensitive and do it all the time, most people in the affected groups barely care, sometimes people get real stupid about it in either direction.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think banning white people from making fools of themselves is actually very cool and good.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

If a Yankee eats a pizza is it cultural appropriation?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

White people are insensitive and do it all the time, most people in the affected groups barely care, sometimes people get real stupid about it in either direction.

In Kommunist Russia Kapitalist China, Asian appropriates you!

Seriously, China and to a lesser extent other South East Asian countries are chock full of mindless aping of ~western~ cultural things, ranging from intentionally similar knockoff products to skin whitening cream for beautiful women (:staredog:) to whole fake castles and cities, which would be totally offensive if you did it here.

Look at this poo poo.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

dunno much about UEA but apparently they have a 'pimp my marrow' event which is really racist or something

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

kikkelivelho posted:

If a Yankee eats a pizza is it cultural appropriation?

How about a Black* person?

*We capitalize Black.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

pale skin beauty ideal has been a thing in china for centuries though hasn't it? long before western dominance

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Tokugawa Yoshinobu dressed up as a French general without actually holding a command in the French Army. Cultural Appropriation?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

i live in norwich, so i can confirm that there are literally no mexicans here

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Pantsuit posted:

dunno much about UEA but apparently they have a 'pimp my marrow' event which is really racist or something

it took till about 3 years ago that our very own notoriously terrible Cambridge Uni Student Union BNOCs1 finally got worked up over some drinking society's bikini jello wrestling, which exemplifies how utterly ineffective student unions are even at working through their very own favourite tiny slice of issues

1Big Name On Campus, aka the worst kind of pretentious little shite to ever set foot in a tertiary education institution, aka incessently prattles on about stupid poo poo till everyone has heard of him

Pantsuit posted:

pale skin beauty ideal has been a thing in china for centuries though hasn't it? long before western dominance

Same in the west (only dirty peasants get sunburn after all), but the cancer has spread even into generally brown-skinned populations on the Southern Asian island nations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Op unless you are a cis white homosexual British male you are culturally appropriating from Alan Turning's people by using a computer, so stop doing so and stop posting tia

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 29, 2015

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

If these people really cared about Cultural Appropriation they would burn everything they own, move to live in a forest and never speak another word.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Op unless you are a cis white homosexual male you are culturally appropriating from Alan Turning's people by using a computer, so stop doing so and stop posting tia

True words. All computer users must be gay. Oh poo poo that makes GBS the only acceptable computer users.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

a uea student once accused my friend of being racist for having dreads and liking reggae

he's not racist, he just has bad hygiene

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

blowfish posted:

True words. All computer users must be gay. Oh poo poo that makes GBS the only acceptable computer users.

And British, I forgot that part originally.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Whorelord posted:

a uea student once accused my friend of being racist for having dreads and liking reggae

he's not racist, he just has bad hygiene

Will the Whorelord apologise for his offensive~ statement regarding the unwashed :commissar:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
As a person of partially Japanese descent, I demand that non-Japanese people cease consuming sushi and watching Attack on Titan immediately. Please stop appropriating my heritage.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
the shitfling squad will be here soon I'm sure.

e: haha nope, effectronica is probed for another six days.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 29, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cicero posted:

As a person of partially Chinese descent, I demand that non-Chinese people cease eating won to dumplings and reading printed books immediately. Please stop appropriating my heritage.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

how much of this is david said's fault anyway

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Whorelord posted:

how much of this is david said's fault anyway

Considering he gets cited often in these discussions (usually along the lines of "you should know this so if you haven't read his doorstopper yet you are a terrible human being and should just kill yourself"), by orientalists of a slightly different shade who are immune to irony, at least a bit.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

As a person of partially Irish descent I demand non-Irish people stop... Wait, poo poo, we haven't ever done anything have we? Even whisky we stole from the Scots. gently caress.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

As a person of Irish descent I insist... Wait, poo poo, we haven't ever done anything have we? Even whisky we stole from the Scots. gently caress.

You ran out of potatoes at one point.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

i dont even want to imagine what texmex in the UK must taste like

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Cicero posted:

As a person of partially Japanese descent, I demand that non-Japanese people cease consuming sushi and watching Attack on Titan immediately. Please stop appropriating my heritage.

I demand you stop using English.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Fried Chicken posted:

As a person of partially Irish descent I demand non-Irish people stop... Wait, poo poo, we haven't ever done anything have we? Even whisky we stole from the Scots. gently caress.

music played with fiddles?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

blowfish posted:

You ran out of potatoes at one point.

Potatoes are from the New World

along with Tomatoes and Chili Peppers (among many other things)

Most cuisine in Europe and Asia is appropriated as heck from the indigenous peoples of North America

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

TheImmigrant posted:

English is a White language, White is the culture with the highest oppression score, therefore English cannot be appropriated.

e:

Whorelord posted:

music played with fiddles?

pubs?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

TheImmigrant posted:

I'm also partially white though, na na na na na.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Calibanibal posted:

i dont even want to imagine what texmex in the UK must taste like

bad, but the turkish restaurants are damned good

• Locked thread