Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:synpa: 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I think your aim was a little off there buddy.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I'm moving to Denver next year, let's all be best goon friends! :buddy:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

remigious posted:

I'm moving to Denver next year, let's all be best goon friends! :buddy:

:getout:

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

No really though don't move to Denver every time I have to go up there for something the traffic is always worse than the time before. You know why that is? It's because you moved to Denver.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

In fact stay the gently caress out of Fort Collins and Colorado Springs while you're at it. Go gentrify Pueblo, they could use it.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Also, the City of Greeley welcomes you.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

The French Army! posted:

No really though don't move to Denver every time I have to go up there for something the traffic is always worse than the time before. You know why that is? It's because you moved to Denver.

Dammit I am leaving Portland because we have too many drat invaders.
And lol, I am too poor to gentrify anything.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

If you're too poor to gentrify and don't want to live somewhere that is currently being swarmed with newcomers, might I suggest a wonderful gem of a city called Des Moines, Iowa?

On a serious note, if you don't want to live somewhere filled with invaders Denver is not the place for you.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

loquacius posted:

Aurora is boring as poo poo, live in Denver and reverse-commute

Huh, that's strange. I'd heard that the nightlife in Aurora can be exhilarating.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

The French Army! posted:

If you're too poor to gentrify and don't want to live somewhere that is currently being swarmed with newcomers, might I suggest a wonderful gem of a city called Des Moines, Iowa?

On a serious note, if you don't want to live somewhere filled with invaders Denver is not the place for you.

My husband wants to be closer to his family in Boulder, so I suppose Denver is not a for sure thing. I don't really care what city we are in, I just don't want to end up in a depressing suburb.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

The French Army! posted:

Des Moines is a so much cooler than it was 10-20 years ago. It's no Denver though.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Oh Denver is filled with depressing suburbs, the whole Front Range is. If you're not moving to Colorado for :weed: or job reasons Cheyenne, WY is a quiet town that is also much cheaper to live in and it's only two hours from Boulder. Hell, eastern Colorado has plenty of decent places to live where rent isn't skyrocketing and everyone and their brother is moving there. If you don't insist on mountain views. I'm just letting you know that if you want to escape to somewhere that isn't a rapidly growing metro, nowhere on the Front Range is a good choice right now, or for the foreseeable future.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

remigious posted:

My husband wants to be closer to his family in Boulder, so I suppose Denver is not a for sure thing. I don't really care what city we are in, I just don't want to end up in a depressing suburb.
Then Highlands Ranch is just for you :D

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

The French Army! posted:

Oh Denver is filled with depressing suburbs, the whole Front Range is. If you're not moving to Colorado for :weed: or job reasons Cheyenne, WY is a quiet town that is also much cheaper to live in and it's only two hours from Boulder. Hell, eastern Colorado has plenty of decent places to live where rent isn't skyrocketing and everyone and their brother is moving there. If you don't insist on mountain views. I'm just letting you know that if you want to escape to somewhere that isn't a rapidly growing metro, nowhere on the Front Range is a good choice right now, or for the foreseeable future.

Thank you for the advice. Where we move will ultimately depend on the place with the most job opportunities, so I will consider looking East in my search.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

What do you guys do?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Broken Machine posted:

Huh, that's strange. I'd heard that the nightlife in Aurora can be exhilarating.

If you don't mind driving around with your windows up, doors locked and still risk getting shot or robbed, yeah, Aurora is pretty exhilarating.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The French Army! posted:

In fact stay the gently caress out of Fort Collins and Colorado Springs while you're at it. Go gentrify Pueblo, they could use it.

No amount of bicycle riding, artisanal boutique shopping, farm-to-table loving white people can help Pueblo.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

The French Army! posted:

What do you guys do?

The husband is a writer that will take pretty much any day job, and I am just finished up my masters in library science. I would ideally like to work in an academic library.

nanerpuss
Aug 6, 2005

voudrais-tu une banane, mon amie?
The suburbs between Denver and Boulder don't
make you want to kill yourself too often.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

nanerpuss posted:

The suburbs between Denver and Boulder don't
make you want to kill yourself too often.

Yes pretty much anything directly south, southeast or east of Denver is garbage. Englewood, Littleton, Westminster, Arvada all good places to be.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

why so many amazing mass shooting in the Denver metro area?

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

remigious posted:

The husband is a writer that will take pretty much any day job, and I am just finished up my masters in library science. I would ideally like to work in an academic library.
Your husband sounds like he will transplant well just about anywhere, so you'll largely choosing based on jobs available to you. Most of the big libraries and universities are going to be in the cities, either Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Denver Metro or, god forbid, Pueblo. Seriously don't move to Pueblo, it's straight up dangerous these days. Just another town that died along with American industry in the 80's.

Living in small towns east of these cities, within an hours drive or so, will reward you with peace and quiet as well as cheaper living at the cost of a fairly long commute while still affording you access to those job markets, though there is a lot of competition for jobs in all of these places with the constant influx of newcomers. New condos, new suburbs, new chain restaurants, new people. Everywhere. Anywhere cool and nice? Expensive and rising fast. That's the front range. Lots to do if you are into the city life though.

If you find work in towns within a two to three hours drive from the front range all the better. Southern Colorado is the poorest part of the state, mostly badlands and desert but it is by far the cheapest place to live here. For instance, I live in the San Luis Valley in a small town. I'm closer to Santa Fe than Denver, less than an hour from the state line. Beautiful mountains all around, high desert terrain. I pay $650 a month for a two bed one bath house, decent place. That is unheard of on the front range, about half of what you'd pay for a comparable place in in Springs/Denver/FoCo. But its mostly agricultural and general labor stuff, not a lot of money floating around. A couple small state colleges, a four year and a two year are in the area. It is also very, very cold here in the winter. Temps as low as -40 are not uncommon, though little snow falls. It's an alpine desert.

The eastern plain is filled small to mid sized towns with oil and ranch work if your husband is a rugged man who would like to earn above average pay for unskilled day jobs out in the dirt and sagebrush. And lots of tumbleweed. I spend much of November in the scattered crop fields out there hunting pheasant. This area is basically Kansas with legal weed.

The mountains are obviously dotted with small ski towns that cost a ton to live in and are jam packed with tourists for 8 months of the year. They are usually stunningly picturesque and probably not the place you want to be unless you are really into winter sports because holy poo poo it snows a ton up in high Rockies.

The Western Slope, where Grand Junction lies just east of the Utah border is probably not the place if you want to be close to family. You'd have to drive through the mountains every time you wanted to get to Boulder and that poo poo can get pretty white knuckle during good weather, which can be extremely unpredictable in the mountains.

This is an effort post dedicated to you sick fucks who keep crowding up Colorado. You want legal pot go to Alaska, there is plenty of room up there.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
lol at californians and texans driving in alaskan snow

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe
So is Cherry Creek all it's cracked up to be? I keep reading it's the IT neighborhood in Denver.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

jlechem posted:

So is Cherry Creek all it's cracked up to be? I keep reading it's the IT neighborhood in Denver.

It's not actually that interesting. Just a neighborhood with super expensive houses and a slightly above average mall.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Thesaurus posted:

It's not actually that interesting. Just a neighborhood with super expensive houses and a slightly above average mall.

Well it does have a awesome German place called the Continental Deli.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Thesaurus posted:

I'm going to that mall this weekend, should I be excited?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

jlechem posted:

If you like abhorrently high rent and a mall that people think is cooler than it really is, yeah, it's the place to live.

OctoberBlues posted:

I'm going to that mall this weekend, should I be excited?

Expect your average fare of stores but a shitload of morons who think they're cooler than they are cuz they're in ~Cherry Creek~.

nanerpuss
Aug 6, 2005

jlechem posted:

Sorry that's incorrect, the Highlands are where to be.

nanerpuss
Aug 6, 2005

Though two years of Denver was enough for me. The closer I am to the mountains, some quiet and actual adult people doing adult things, the happier I am. Boulder has a certain appeal as much as I hate to admit it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the greatest thing about Denver is the 16th street mall

nanerpuss
Aug 6, 2005

etalian posted:

XIII you have some competition for goon comedian.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

etalian posted:

If your idea of great is slightly above average quality food, awful shopping and frequent encounters with insane homeless people then yeah, it's great

Horbo, the Suicidal Senator
Jan 3, 2001

Protocol7 posted:

If you don't mind driving around with your windows up, doors locked and still risk getting shot or robbed, yeah, Aurora is pretty exhilarating.

Please keep telling people so they stay the gently caress out.

Yeah, it's super lovely in Aurora. Horrible.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I went into a souvenir shop on the 16th Street Mall to get someone a gift the other day and literally 50% of the stuff in there was marijuana themed. I don't remember clearly what these stores used to be like, but I'm pretty sure it used to be mostly fools gold,cowboy stuff, pictures of wolves, and native American knickknacks.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
I've seen it raining fire in the sky
Friends around the campfire and everybody's high
Rocky mountain high

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Thesaurus posted:

I went into a souvenir shop on the 16th Street Mall to get someone a gift the other day and literally 50% of the stuff in there was marijuana themed. I don't remember clearly what these stores used to be like, but I'm pretty sure it used to be mostly fools gold,cowboy stuff, pictures of wolves, and native American knickknacks.

Yes, it used to all be merchandise related to the actual history of Colorado. Now apparently the only thing of importance in our state is legal weed so whatever, I guess. I honestly hate people who wear weed themed clothing because it's basically the equivalent of having "MY ONLY DEFINING FEATURE AS A HUMAN BEING IS MY MARIJUANA CONSUMPTION" written all over your back.

nanerpuss
Aug 6, 2005

It's a shame that there is so much great bud around and I work for a place that gives me 40% discounts on it, because I don't really care to smoke it much anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nanerpuss posted:

XIII you have some competition for goon comedian.

Civic Center Park in Denver has much in common with Civic Center SF.

• Locked thread