Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They did a pretty good job at destroying Occupy Wall Street, and co-opting economic protests with widespread support into some kind of stupid social justice circlejerk that annoyed everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCwhlZtHhWs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Can we talk about mescalin-ity instead of masculinity?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

This is the acceptable level hth:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
http://i.imgur.com/fdHPaev.jpg http://i.imgur.com/WiUI6m0.jpg http://i.imgur.com/fdHPaev.jpg

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I love the blanket stereotypes being thrown around itt: either all men are completely macho hulk hogan wannabes or screeching scrotum-less boys like that youtube vid. Seriously most men don't act like either of those and most women are not feminists, its just one vocal minority shrieking about the opposite vocal minority.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

akasnowmaaan posted:

Are you saying everyone or just shallow people in their early 20's

I don't know a single person in their late 20's who would stay friends with that person

Then again I hang with smart nice people

every woman in your life would tolerate significantly more sexism from a hot man than they would from an ugly man. Every one of them, especially your mom.

Neurolimal posted:

nooz flash: hot people get away with more stuff

Crazy fat lady is "a bitch", crazy hot lady is "probably a freak in bed"

exactly, that's what I'm trying to tell these people. The acceptability of any of your actions is determined by your desirability. That doesn't mean that you should take the red pill and buy a fedora, it means if you want to be a sexist rear end in a top hat full of toxic masculinity and be rewarded for it you better be sexy and/or rich

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Frosted Flake posted:

They did a pretty good job at destroying Occupy Wall Street, and co-opting economic protests with widespread support into some kind of stupid social justice circlejerk that annoyed everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCwhlZtHhWs

lol ya, it was feminists who destroyed OWS

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

City of Tampa posted:

every woman in your life would tolerate significantly more sexism from a hot man than they would from an ugly man. Every one of them, especially your mom.

I wouldn't, as I am gay

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
your handsome charms have no power over me :smug:

now ruby rose on the other hand...

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nomadologique posted:

lol ya, it was feminists who destroyed OWS
lack of a collective identity killed occupy with spoons. not everyone is lucky like the sons & daughters of gibbus, touched both by goku and the goatman

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wow, can't believe all this feminism, there is sure a lot of that, it's everywhere, it's on the walls and I found some in my cupboards.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Game_Whino posted:

I'm apparently catnip to feminists. What they seem to want is a guy who acts like a guy but doesn't do that stupid "He-Man women hater's" club bullshit. They don't seem to care that much about body shape, but they do care about grooming habits. Basically they want you to shower, shave/trim, comb your hair, don't stare at their tits unless you're invited to, look them in the eye when you're talking to them, and talk to them like they're human beings instead of sex toys. They're really not asking for much. Have you considered that you guys might just be gross losers?

Game_Whino posted:

I'm not a chubby chaser. I just don't generally give a poo poo if someone is fat or skinny as long as they aren't complete assholes and can hold a conversation. That said, the skinny one's tend to be a lot more aggressive and have more trouble taking no for an answer. Even after you've explained that you don't like them in that particular way, they still keep at it. I didn't mind it that much back when I was single, but I've been married for a while now and it gets really annoying really quickly. The only way to get them to back off is to point out to them that they're acting in an inappropriate manner that's probably influenced by some ingrained patriarchal bullshit.

Lesbians make better friends for guys. They don't hit on you constantly (and if they do they're obviously joking) and can give you insightful advice (usually while playing pool) in the event you have a fight with your wife because women keep coming on to you while she's around.
Just felt these should be read again

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Game_Whino posted:

I'm apparently catnip to feminists. What they seem to want is a guy who acts like a guy but doesn't do that stupid "He-Man women hater's" club bullshit. They don't seem to care that much about body shape, but they do care about grooming habits. Basically they want you to shower, shave/trim, comb your hair, don't stare at their tits unless you're invited to, look them in the eye when you're talking to them, and talk to them like they're human beings instead of sex toys. They're really not asking for much. Have you considered that you guys might just be gross losers?

heresy

quote:

Lesbians make better friends for guys. They don't hit on you constantly (and if they do they're obviously joking) and can give you insightful advice (usually while playing pool) in the event you have a fight with your wife because women keep coming on to you while she's around.

also true

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
yall should go gay, life is easier when your friends are also your casual fuckbuddies

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

heresy

also true

I'm disappointed that these didn't just make you want to laugh at the person who posted them. It has to be one of the worst attempts at humblebragging I've seen on these forums.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

quakster posted:

lack of a collective identity killed occupy with spoons

so not feminism but a lack of focus, i agree

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ambrose Burnside posted:

so not feminism but a lack of focus, i agree

There Was focus though. The focus was on Wall Street robbing the country blind and on income inequality. Then the SJWs and co. started dragging all their pet social issues into it, and it became a muddled mess.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

There Was focus though. The focus was on Wall Street robbing the country blind and on income inequality. Then the SJWs and co. started dragging all their pet social issues into it, and it became a muddled mess.

SJWs and co.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

My girlfriend and I are going down to SJWs and Co. this weekend to pick out a new coffee table.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Neurolimal posted:

only when all that is left are caramel guys with cunts and mulatto girls with dicks shall all discrimination be over

then we can focus on the real monsters: people who willingly buy Kix

Kix rule

I am kixsexual and how dare you erase my kixperiences

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
If you can't accept that there is a bit of clash between leftist that consider economic issues most important vs leftist that consider social issues most important in 2015 then I dunno what to tell ya net cafe scandal but yeah our inability to set differences aside and unite against a common enemy has been both a present and historic barrier to progressives.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ever heard of a comma, dude?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

net cafe scandal posted:

Ironically this is a comma fault. Yeah though I should have used one before the but.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Frosted Flake posted:

the movement was never focused beyond "general discontent with economic matters" and from the very beginning diverged enormously in scope and goal depending on the location, sometimes doing good + concrete work and sometimes full of feelgood liberal horseshit. the occupy group in my city was heavily driven and concerned with first nations matters, for ex, touching on both social and economic issues that never got a word of mention in, say, american city occupy camps. "SJWs ruined everything" is some top tier revisionism tho

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 30, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
unfortunately economics in 2015 are complicated enough that you can take the average pissed off person and start babbling at them until they feel retarded and go 'fine capitalism is fine' just out of surrender

it's hard to get people riled up without something simple for them to back but there's no simple solutions here that can fit into easy soundbites. not impossible, but unfortunately this also means it is very easy to derail. all you need is some people trying to muddy everything and an opposition that doesn't care about rational discourse and prefers to call you an evil communist muslim satanman

then gently caress up public education and hey you've got US politics, 2015. The right is retarded, the left can't stop arguing with each other long to organize or even form a coherent platform, and no one knows poo poo so they don't sit around talking about how hosed they're getting.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 30, 2015

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im going to do some MANscaping when I get home.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

If you can't accept that there is a bit of clash between leftist that consider economic issues most important vs leftist that consider social issues most important in 2015 then I dunno what to tell ya net cafe scandal but yeah our inability to set differences aside and unite against a common enemy has been both a present and historic barrier to progressives.

i don't think the left is really split on social vs economic issues being more important. usually seems like the various ideologies under the leftist umbrella balkanize over implementation, not the underlying ideas

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

All I'm saying is that there are better ways to go about it than sitting in a park, and talking in a special order to avoid hurting feelings.

Trade Unionism, for example has a clear purpose, method of organization, funding and (had) public support (once).

Look at a General Strike vs Occupy and you can see the difference.

Now you get "Unions were traditionally opposed to women and Blacks in the workforce, so we can't work with them. Economic issues are secondary to trans/indigenous/feminist... :words:"

Nothing gets done.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Mental-Rectangle posted:

i don't think the left is really split on social vs economic issues being more important. usually seems like the various ideologies under the leftist umbrella balkanize over implementation, not the underlying ideas

I dunno, I feel like it's a common thing. Almost every discussion of privilege revolves around social identities rather than class for example. Also you see stuff like social activists from expensive private universities crashing Bernie Sanders rallies.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

A comma dude? No, I have never heard of a comma dude, haha.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's funny because money is the gateway to social change.

No one is going to oppress a market demographic with money.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

City of Tampa posted:

exactly, that's what I'm trying to tell these people. The acceptability of any of your actions is determined by your desirability. That doesn't mean that you should take the red pill and buy a fedora, it means if you want to be a sexist rear end in a top hat full of toxic masculinity and be rewarded for it you better be sexy and/or rich

This is true.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Frosted Flake posted:

All I'm saying is that there are better ways to go about it than sitting in a park, and talking in a special order to avoid hurting feelings.

Trade Unionism, for example has a clear purpose, method of organization, funding and (had) public support (once).

Look at a General Strike vs Occupy and you can see the difference.

Now you get "Unions were traditionally opposed to women and Blacks in the workforce, so we can't work with them. Economic issues are secondary to trans/indigenous/feminist... :words:"

Nothing gets done.

all that is fine except the "sjws ruined the focus" as a blanket statement straight up did not happen. the structure and dynamics of occupy groups fundamentally worked against concerted n tightly-focused work, that was never the point of the movement at any point. id just as soon say the 9/11 truthers or the GMO weirdos or any of the other pet issue people were all bigger distractions and diversions than the social issues people cause they all got plenty of message boosting towards issues that had even less to do with occupy's grievances than the people trying to include social stuff in dialogues

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

ArbitraryC posted:

Also you see stuff like social activists from expensive private universities crashing Bernie Sanders rallies.

Truth. Well-meaning trust fund babies referring to Black Canadians as "People Of Colour" or "POCs" and deigning to speak on our behalf is lol.

The pearl clutching should they ever happen to be in a Black neighbourhood is pretty hilarious, since Jane-Finch may as well be Iraq as far as they're concerned.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

all that is fine except the "sjws ruined the focus" as a blanket statement straight up did not happen. the structure and dynamics of occupy groups fundamentally worked against concerted n tightly-focused work, that was never the point of the movement at any point. id just as soon say the 9/11 truthers or the GMO weirdos or any of the other pet issue people were all bigger distractions and diversions than the social issues people cause they all got plenty of message boosting towards issues that had even less to do with occupy's grievances than the people trying to include social stuff in dialogues

That's a good point. I'm just frustrated because I feel like the bad optics of OCW set back any future movement in the public's eyes a fair bit.

It's like how the Battle of Seattle or Toronto G20 is about the underlying issues for some people, but tear gas and burning police cars for more.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 30, 2015

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

For instance, how do we solve the energy crisis and get off fossil fuels? You'll get an argument in a room full of leftists over nuclear power.

How do we solve world hunger?
You'll get an argument in a room full of leftists over genetically modified crops.

How do we fix economic issue 'x'? The speed of implementation of the solution will range from gradually voting for less bad people until you start getting good people, vs bloody revolution hail satan im gay full communism now.

The issue here is that in our attempt at creating intellectual safe spaces to discuss all sides of the ideas, we leftists have kind of allowed a lot of people on our side to get away with having loving retarded opinions. when you leave that door open, people naturally infiltrate all positive progressive movements and use them as a base of operations to build their own insular ideologies within them. basically a purge is necessary.

ArbitraryC posted:

I dunno, I feel like it's a common thing. Almost every discussion of privilege revolves around social identities rather than class for example. Also you see stuff like social activists from expensive private universities crashing Bernie Sanders rallies.

iirc the black lives matter girls turned out to be republican false flags

Discussion of privilege tends to be focused more on creating a reverse hierarchy within a movement that places whoever thinks they deserve the biggest pity parade on top. It's identity politics usually. It ties back into what I was saying about people using progressive safe-spaces to cultivate insular attitudes.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Mental-Rectangle posted:

iirc the black lives matter girls turned out to be republican false flags

What?

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

http://reverbpress.com/politics/black-lives-matter-seattle-protestor-is-a-former-tea-party-palin-fan/

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Kix rule

I am kixsexual and how dare you erase my kixperiences

no dice prepare to be kixshamed

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Keyword former though.

e: like I'm flabbergasted people would more willingly believe this is a false flag thing rather than the reality of the environment we've created in modern social identity politics. It's not a surprise at all that someone who's latched onto this would previously have been a diedhard tea partyer, it's pretty much two sides of the same coin.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
I went to the Occupy thing in Tampa right before the loving RNC convention was here thinking that there would be some real political protest going on, and as I was walking up to it I saw a crusty gutter punk with giant mutilated earlobes and sleeved up tattoo arms doing that loving annoying "community megaphone" thing and I just turned around and left without even going into the park.

• Locked thread