Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Goddammit Croberts, all I wanted was Freelancer 2017: Online with maybe a Wing Commander 2017 accompaniment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Incombibulator posted:

We've moved on from pre-pre-alpha Pete?

Yup, ahead of schedule as usual, everything is absolutely on course and looking good, people just need patience and to realise that Rome wasn't built in a day

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tooterfish posted:

Last month it was pre pre alpha.

See guys, progress... gently caress the doubters, see you in the verse!

Thank you 4 believing

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU

Thirsty Dog posted:

Look, the Brown Sea doesn't need proof of a working game, so we don't need proof of mafia involvement

:vince: Holy poo poo

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Yup, ahead of schedule as usual, everything is absolutely on course and looking good, people just need patience and to realise that Rome wasn't built in a day

That's fantastic! I'm going to go ahead with that Idris purchase now then. brb

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Saw posts about the Swedish mafia and Gizmondo, thinking goons were being paranoid idiots and ruining the thread. Then I saw the actual information and laughed my rear end off. I'm not sure how this poo poo gets any weirder, but I bet it does.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

D_Smart posted:

They are eating the filing fees in the UK so they don't have to file as that's going to be very revealing.

Among the possible consequences this is one way in which despite operating through a limited liability company, directors can later be held personally responsible by liquidators if things do go tits up.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Potato Salad posted:

A small shop like CIG that starts refusing refunds per the terms of a purchase TOS -- and, failing that, federal consumer protection -- can probably be browbeaten into compliance.

I'd like to see in November what excuse CIG uses for delaying refunds. "The current TOS doesn't permit refunds until Nov 2016!" for people who purchased this game before the Winter 2015 TOS change is obvious bullshit, but what can be done to hold them to the law?

They have no legal standing to make that change. That's the first thing. Second, the FTC trumps all that poo poo anyway since it's a crowd-funded project. Which is precisely why, at CitCon, they're now selling SQ42 as a pre-order (instead of pledge) and for a limited time only, includes Star Citizen.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

kinkouin posted:

I dont have PM's. It's the same as it is on here.

Yup, looks like Sarah blocked you for some reason. Fixed. And stop hanging around with non-Goons. That poo poo gets you blocked! :)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Libluini posted:

Wait a minute, so because I went through some sort of bullshit-process to join WOL in MWO using an account for RSI, I'm now counted as a backer for Star Citizen? That's so stupid I'm kind of speechless. 1 million backers my rear end

Yes, pretty much.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

They have no legal standing to make that change. That's the first thing. Second, the FTC trumps all that poo poo anyway since it's a crowd-funded project. Which is precisely why, at CitCon, they're now selling SQ42 as a pre-order (instead of pledge) and for a limited time only, includes Star Citizen.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that SQ42 will happen. It may have crap mechanics, a lot of missing features, a lousy story, and bad acting but it will happen. Star citizen, on the other hand, is hosed.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

BluestreakBTHR posted:

I can't wait to read about the mass suicides when CIG goes tits-up.

Well, that's probably with DickWulf is under house arrest. Though I'm sure there are ways to commit suicide at home.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Who wants more DickWulfe nuggets of wisdom? It's hard being a nudist completionist with no job!

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

AP posted:

Thought this was interesting.

...I want to know more. I hope the contractor is GE Johnson or JE Dunn. Derek Smart needs to find out if it went to public bid so I can download the bid documents and run an estimate.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Thirsty Dog posted:

Look, the Brown Sea doesn't need proof of a working game, so we don't need proof of mafia involvement

I feel like a real investigative journalist! As real as being a Star Citizen

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iron Tusk posted:

If it eventually comes down to a class action you're SOL anyway. Class actions usually only give you pennies on the dollar. Even then if big D files in November, you're probably looking at eh, 3-6 years before it's resolved. And even if one is filed you aren't guaranteed to get class status. And if CIG goes belly up there won't be any money anyway.

That's right. Also, the legal action is about three things:

1) finances
2) delivery date
3) refunds for those who ask and who didn't sign up for Chris's "vision 2.0" bloated bullshit of a pipedream

Any lawsuit, even if they can get past a summary judgment, gets you to discovery (which they can pull some delaying tactics depending on how lenient the judge is) and to the financials (the #1 target).

Win lose or draw, I'm going to get it.

The class action lawsuit just ensures that they can't get out of a lawsuit on some bullshit technicality. Class action status is pretty difficult to get past a judge. Which is why, if you get that status, it's because the case has merit and some serious teeth. Which is precisely why a) they're so pissed at me b) they've been doing refunds since July

What they didn't plan for was the volume of refunds they'd be hit with in such a short time. So much for gently caress Derek Smart

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Well, that's probably with DickWulf is under house arrest. Though I'm sure there are ways to commit suicide at home.

holy gently caress

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

1) finances
2) delivery date
3) refunds for those who ask and who didn't sign up for Chris's "vision 2.0" bloated bullshit of a pipedream

Any lawsuit, even if they can get past a summary judgment, gets you to discovery (which they can pull some delaying tactics depending on how lenient the judge is) and to the financials (the #1 target).

The class action lawsuit just ensures that they can't get out of a lawsuit on some bullshit technicality. Class action status is pretty difficult to get past a judge. Which is why, if you get that status, it's because the case has merit and some serious teeth. Which is precisely why a) they're so pissed at me b) they've been doing refunds since July

What they didn't plan for was the volume of refunds they'd be hit with in such a short time. So much for gently caress Derek Smart

d smart is one cold m fer

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

D_Smart posted:

1) finances
2) delivery date

You're insane but in a fun way.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

D_Smart posted:

:vince:

Also how does it feel to be completely vindicated in the face of all this bullshit, basically shaming the entire gaming press with the exception of the escapist?

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

1) finances
2) delivery date

Holy poo poo. Fantastic!
I can't wait for this shitshow to start in a few weeks. It's gonna be :popcorn: tastic!
Does this candle get lit at the beginning of November, or the end?
After you start the process, you want to come on my radio show to talk about... gently caress man, we can talk about whatever you want.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

natetimm posted:

Saw posts about the Swedish mafia and Gizmondo, thinking goons were being paranoid idiots and ruining the thread. Then I saw the actual information and laughed my rear end off. I'm not sure how this poo poo gets any weirder, but I bet it does.

What's the deal with SC and the Swedish mafia?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ragingsheep posted:

what IS the deal

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

D_Smart posted:

I think it's fantastic. For the record, I didn't back it on KS because I wasn't convinced they'd pull it off. I was right. They didn't. But what they did deliver months later, was worth the price of admission. So I bought it then.

tbh, BC3000AD does not have any spiritual successor other than my own games. Why? because my game focuses on capital ship combat, crew management, fantastic AI etc. In fact, I released a freeware version of Universal Combat CE v2.0 (the true spiritual successor to Battlecruiser) on Steam earlier this year. And the downloads are what prompted me to revamp the graphics and other elements as paid DLC expansion pack, while keeping the gameplay intact. Check it out.

Once I am done with LoD, and now that LOD Tactics is off to final XB1 certification for release in Dec, I'm going to do a more substantial overhaul of the UC game as my next major project (Universal Combat Advanced).

There has been a bevvy of games on Steam that have tried to replicate aspects of BC3000AD. It would be epic if we saw a sequel. People are gobbling up space games like crazy, it would be cool to have one that actually existed where you could fly your BC in an open universe and do complex BC poo poo.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Ragingsheep posted:

The Gizmondo reboot was basically shilled by a bunch of Swedish mafia members and it turned into vaporware, I think some people are basically pointing out that SC has some of the same warning signs.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

i'm sorry ms. roberts, i am for reeeaaal. never.meant.to.make.your daughter cry.

Kimsemus posted:

The Gizmondo reboot was basically shilled by a bunch of Swedish mafia members and it turned into vaporware, I think some people are basically pointing out that SC has some of the same warning signs.
And some of the same players. All in the motion capture studio where the SC backer money is going.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 14, 2015

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Kimsemus posted:

And a bunch of the same employees, right? Haven't they basically just transplanted the entire Gizmondo management team?

Also, Derek - What's your latest take on the gray market?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AP posted:

Thought this was interesting.

Are they going to buy the decommissioned cruise missile from the old Gizmondo studios, for old times sake?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

natetimm posted:

And a bunch of the same employees, right? Haven't they basically just transplanted the entire Gizmondo management team?

Also, Derek - What's your latest take on the gray market?

I'm not Dr. Smart but the grey market is still REALLY strong over on some subreddits.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Kimsemus posted:

The Gizmondo reboot was basically shilled by a bunch of Swedish mafia members and it turned into vaporware, I think some people are basically pointing out that SC has some of the same warning signs finance directors.

Touched that up for you. People from Warthog- the Elms and Erin Roberts- were in charge of Gizmondo's finances during the period that it went bankrupt. They are now in charge of F42UK's finances. There is no direct implication that they were involved with the illegal parts of Gizmondo's activities, but they were highly placed there for several years.

Some other names show up as well in non-money-related-roles. Wingman was director of game development for a significant part of their company, I believe.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

trucutru posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that SQ42 will happen. It may have crap mechanics, a lot of missing features, a lousy story, and bad acting but it will happen. Star citizen, on the other hand, is hosed.

Yes, I think that - if they survive between now past Q1/16 - they may release SQ42. Between now and then, they're going to be doling out bullshit releases to AC, while nerfing every drat thing they can.

The problem is that, according to my sources, even EP1 of SQ42 is about 15 months (from Aug) away. So they have no freaking clue how on Earth they're going to release a SQ42 game in 2016 without pulling some seriously messed up poo poo.

They know that they're about to be screwed financially and that GAMESCOM & CitCon were probably their last financially viable hurrah until 2016. Hence this new SQ42 push.

And note that they still don't have the tech to build the drat game. Just like I said back in July and which all their dev blogs to this day, continue to prove me right. They're still working on that. Even though SQ42 does not rely on the PU, the game relies on the underlying engine for 100% of its functionality.

In a nutshell:

Star Citizen is the PU and it needs Hangar (entry) + AC (flight) + Star Marine (fps) + Multi-Crew (which they've messed up and is now in PU 2.0) + Social/Planetside + fairy dust

SQ42 is a stand-alone (already nerfed co-op and such) game that relies on all of the above, aside from the much touted and largely non-existent, PU

Note that, 4 years + $92m later, every single one of the above modules is either hosed or non-existent. And unknown to many, like SC, the SQ42 project still doesn't exist as a "game"; which is why they couldn't show "gameplay" at CitCon, other than the interactive tour

The project is FUBAR and there is no going back. Even I probably can't fix it for under $50m adn three years

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 14, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the other person on my friends list that plays is kimsemus

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

HexDog posted:

...I want to know more. I hope the contractor is GE Johnson or JE Dunn. Derek Smart needs to find out if it went to public bid so I can download the bid documents and run an estimate.

As the story goes, the contractor and them got into some disagreement over some electrical wiring done to the building. He's threatening to sue because they apparently haven't paid the bill. So all work on the build-out has halted while they inventory and document everything in the event that a lawsuit does happen. Because if they continue with the work with another contractor, then it becomes difficult for them to prove their case that the contractor messed up.

There's a $20K cappuccino machine involved in this. Seriously.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Eonwe posted:

d smart is one cold m fer

Every day of the week.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

This was D_Smart con the whole time....the most impressive ARG game ever to get goons to play Line of Defense!

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Ragingsheep posted:

:jerry:

D_Smart posted:

Note that, 4 years + $92m later, every single one of the above modules is either hosed or non-existent.

or reverted. the fps module a year ago had the whole deployable cover and zero g and a crosshair that stayed centered on the screen and actually looked like a game that could theoretically be played

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Derek,

Why haven't you had your lawyers craft up a letter to reddit to get /r/shitdereksays and /r/dereksmart shutdown? They're both hate subreddits that are conspiring to get your twitch shutdown and get your game banned off steam.

Reddit takes that poo poo real serious now.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

mormonpartyboat posted:

they wanna be players but they got no game

This should be thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ragingsheep posted:

You should be asking who is Dietrich

http://pastebin.com/DDeWufw2

• Locked thread