Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

from PunkBoy

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is currently in its 3rd season, coming on at Tuesdays at 9/8 central.

It's hardly unique anymore to have a television show about superheroes, but AoS has a lot to offer. First, the show revolves around the "normals" and how they deal with an abnormal world, rather than the superpowered individuals themselves (well, maybe less so now with the Inhumans). Second, it ties in to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. While there will likely be very few AoS cameos in the MCU, the show frequently demonstrates the repercussions of all the destruction/change that goes down in the movies.

After a shaky first half to the first season (it benefits from binge-watching), the show has overall high ratings (90% on rotten tomatoes if you're into that), and is very action-packed.
If you absolutely must skip to when it gets amazing, skip to S01E16: The End of the Beginning. It's on Netflix!

Season 1 involved Agent Coulson (from the movies) getting together a specialty crew meant to protect against the threat of the rising superhuman presence. Along the way, Hydra (from Captain America) resurfaced (in The Winter Soldier), and one of Coulson's own - Ward - betrayed them. Hydra almost took over, but Coulson's team pulled through.

Season 2 dealt with the repercussions of the destruction of S.H.I.E.L.D. and introduced the Inhumans (who haven't been introduced in the MCU yet; the movie is slated for November 2, 2018, according to Google). It turned out there were two S.H.I.E.L.D.s working concurrently, and the two of them and Hydra were all at odds with one another. Hydra was all but eliminated, but a final scene with Ward indicated that would likely change. Skye Daisy (one of the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents) was revealed to be an Inhuman and tried to bring the two groups (S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Inhumans) together. This ended in failure when her plan was betrayed by her mother/leader of the Inhumans. Expect a lot more conflict between all these groups this season.

Let me know (post or PM me) if you want me to add anything to the thread. Also, no more "that's not her name!" stuff. It's old.

PunkBoy posted:

Come on in guys, that water's fine!

PunkBoy posted:

See how innocent I am?!

mastajake fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rest in peace "That's not her name" meme

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Regy Rusty posted:

Rest in peace "That's not her name" meme

Much like Cal and Lola, it will never truly die.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Excited as gently caress.

Wonder what this year's "did they bang" or "who shot dog" endless argument might be.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

mastajake posted:

Also, cut out the meme poo poo in this thread.

You already know there will be a new meme created in a few episodes. You might as well accept it and just ban all the ones from the first two seasons.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Since Phase 2 all had people losing hands in reference to Empire Strikes Back, will all the Phase 3 ones have someone getting thrown down a chasm?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Barry Convex posted:

Believe what you want, Inhumans on this show are not happening until/unless they're introduced in the films (which Feige did hint could happen earlier than 2018, to be fair). You will probably start to see some TV->film integration, as opposed to just the reverse, beginning with AOU, but that's unlikely to ever be anything more than relatively small cameos or Easter eggs.

SHIELD is a companion series to the film canon, not an integral storytelling engine for it, and it's best to accept that.

Needs to go back in the OP though.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
I'm really curious as to how far into the Inhuman backlog they end up going this season, obviously I doubt they'll actually have any of the Royal Family show up, but I wonder if they'll do some namedrops and innuendo about their existence. Either way, I'm beyond hyped to have this show back, and with the SHIELD/Carter setup I know I basically get an hour of fun television from here on until May...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think they're going to be pretty much done with the Inhuman society thing and instead focus on the people changed.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Been here since day 1. Let's do this!

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

GLOSS posted:

I'm really curious as to how far into the Inhuman backlog they end up going this season, obviously I doubt they'll actually have any of the Royal Family show up, but I wonder if they'll do some namedrops and innuendo about their existence. Either way, I'm beyond hyped to have this show back, and with the SHIELD/Carter setup I know I basically get an hour of fun television from here on until May...

Fingers crossed for Lockjaw.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Radio! posted:

Fingers crossed for Lockjaw.

The question is, will Ward shoot him, or will they just talk?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Any inhumans we see will most likely be A) 3rd tier background Inhumans from the comics B) New inhumans from the comics or C) made up whole cloth (but have powers similar to mutant powers).

Klungar posted:

The question is, will Ward shoot him, or will they just talk?

They'll have sex.

I mean Lockjaw just gives it away for free http://i.imgur.com/rN5R1b9.jpg

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 30, 2015

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Can't wait to see what kind of prosthetic hand Coulson will have if any.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If a new meme is created then whatever, but seriously do knock off the name one. It's beyond old at this point. I don't want to make it probatable because I'd like to think some of you have self control, but we know that's drat well not true.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Been on complete blackout during the hiatus. SO HYPED to jump back in and see what is going to happen.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ha, I totally missed the shot of the fish oil when they released the preview.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Awwwwwwwww poo poo, here comes Daisy.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Skye :swoon:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh we are right loving in on this.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

The title of this episode is too close to RULES OF NATURE for me not to mentally play it over this scene.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Hahahahahahaha holy poo poo it's the Fulton Recovery System.

EDIT: Double holy poo poo it's Dana Gordon.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Good work, now exfiltrate the hot zone.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Bus 2.0 looks loving rad as hell

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I am a Big, big fan of the Quinbus

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He's coming too?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

mythicknight posted:

Bus 2.0 looks loving rad as hell

Looks a lot better than the goofy C-5 Galaxy with tail engines they had originally. Seriously, the tail engines endlessly bugged me.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Is this guy a comic character? Melting poo poo seems very comic-based.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Jesus, what is she doing?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Aw geez come on guys do you gotta jump straight to dissection?

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
A slightly shiny op shows that we have a little bit of OP budget at least!

Also Coulson is so happy that he's got a new jet.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

So someone is killing every inhuman they find. Inhumans are definitely Disney's mutants.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Been on complete blackout during the hiatus. SO HYPED to jump back in and see what is going to happen.

Same. So far so good with Fulton and Daisy.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Normally I wouldn't say this OP but I think you really should explain the exact point the show steps up it's game in Season 1.

The biggest problem with AoS is getting people to make it through the rocky start. I know you mentioned that, but more light at the end of the tunnel is good.

PS: Anyone reading this thread for the first time, the show VASTLY improves in the last quarter of the first season and has been on an upward slope since.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sounds like she's stopped using that name since she said she was Daisy twice.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
Loving this so much already.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Came here to make Metal Gear joke, glad everyone else already made them. :allears:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Sounds like she's stopped using that name since she said she was Daisy twice.

I'm calling her Skye :colbert:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

He's flaaaming! I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm calling her Skye :colbert:

Don't because you're just inviting people to quote the forbidden meme. That makes you part of the problem :colbert:

• Locked thread