Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Lunixnerd posted:

Yeah, who makes the sandwiches at subway, who decants foam into my cappuccino in an artistic fashion? Who buys hair dyes in primary colors and keeps Portland / Austin weird? That's right you anti-intellectual morons, art majors, the prime mover that drives the capitalist machine you 'work' for like some slave. Go back to your jobs curing cancer and inventing technology and leave us to argue about dead gay authors and get tattoos.

That's right dude, everyone who does a STEM course is pushing humanity forward and not just wasting their life. Why, with millions and millions of STEM graduates a year all doing so much for humanity we'll have cured every disease in no time!

Once again sorry you're wasting your life. If it makes you feel better on your death bed to pretend that you were part of the great human march forward because you did a specific subject in college and sat at a desk for most of the waking hours of your life then go ahead man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor

Calico Heart posted:

That's right dude, everyone who does a STEM course is pushing humanity forward and not just wasting their life. Why, with millions and millions of STEM graduates a year all doing so much for humanity we'll have cured every disease in no time!

Once again sorry you're wasting your life. If it makes you feel better on your death bed to pretend that you were part of the great human march forward because you did a specific subject in college and sat at a desk for most of the waking hours of your life then go ahead man

Don't beat yourself up, not everyone is smart enough to make a meaningful contribution to society.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus Christ would you hum idiots stop taking every bit of bait dangled in front of you. I've got an English degree but I can also admit to mistakes.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
STEAM fields gentlepersons

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I think the real question here is: what is the most worthless degree you can get? Women's studies? Gender studies?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

various cheeses posted:

I think the real question here is: what is the most worthless degree you can get? Women's studies? Gender studies?

Either art history or library science BA. You only become employable in one of the five jobs that exist in those fields with a PhD really (though you can get terrible temp positions with an MA in either), there are tons of more useful bachelors degrees you could get that would easily let you in to those graduate programs, and both fields of study are incredibly easy to approach without any formal training.

raton fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 1, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

Either art history or library science BA. You only become employable in one of the five jobs that exist in those fields with a PhD really (though you can get terrible temp positions with an MA in either), there are tons of more useful bachelors degrees you could get that would easily let you in to those graduate programs, and both fields of study are incredibly easy to approach without any formal training.

other liberal arts degrees get a MBA or work jobs in HR/recruiting.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
goddamn you loving weirdos there is value in every degree and there is value in knowledge in of itself. there's pros and cons to anything it's not like there is one true degree that everyone has to get.

it's not the fault of the humanities that the education system in the USA is broken as gently caress

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

goddamn you loving weirdos there is value in every degree and there is value in knowledge in of itself. there's pros and cons to anything it's not like there is one true degree that everyone has to get.

it's not the fault of the humanities that the education system in the USA is broken as gently caress

There's value in a penny and there's value in a hundred dollar bill. I'm good at a lot of things that STEM autists can't handle but I'm not going to pretend my degree is worth as much as theirs.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

perhaps the answer is somewhere in the middle!!

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I wish I could afford to quit my six figure STEM job so I could study 19th century Chinese history full time. Totally serious.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Sheep-Goats posted:

There's value in a penny and there's value in a hundred dollar bill.

This is a pretty good line.

Art history and library science at least have an end game job. What kind of job do you get with a women's studies or gender studies degree though? I assume it's "teaching women's or gender studies".

Are there any other ridiculous degrees like that?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Horniest Manticore posted:

perhaps the answer is somewhere in the middle!!

loving Philosophy majors :rolleyes:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the best way for STEM guys to have liberal arts in their life, is to find themselves a english major wife

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Tenacious J posted:

Thanks for the advice, I will take some solid time to consider this. I would have thought IT (via certs) might be an excellent alternative, no? A distant friend with a CCIE and 5 years experience and a 2year diploma makes nearly 200k/yr. People with humanities degrees, if able to do tech work, probably have some decent communication and interpersonal skills to add.

I'm also very curious why the first 5 years of railroad work are particularly bad.

Most certs are BS but a CCIE is the top cert Cisco offers, and is extremely hard to get - only around 20k people have one worldwide. The process to get it requires going to their campus in person for some of the exam labs, and many thousands of dollars. It's not like getting an A+ cert. Before your distant friend got it, they'd likely spent many years learning networking while working in the industry. So yeah, someone with a CCIE can get a good job because there's a rather short supply of people that good at networking, and it's such a highly selective process to get one.

Working in IT can be okay if you get good skills but so much of the work is being or has been automated; it's just like any industry in that finding a good job with good working conditions is tough. Pay does tend to be okay even in bottom-barrel jobs though.

I like the idea of figuring out what you enjoy, then figuring out how to get paid to do that. If you can figure out that well enough to get a job that pays the bills you've won imo. Just studying something because you want a paycheck sounds like a great way to be miserable for decades doing a job you hate.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

There's value in a penny and there's value in a hundred dollar bill. I'm good at a lot of things that STEM autists can't handle but I'm not going to pretend my degree is worth as much as theirs.

I just think the mentality of 'college is only useful insofar as how much money you can extract from your degree' is hosed up in general.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

I just think the mentality of 'college is only useful insofar as how much money you can extract from your degree' is hosed up in general.

I agree with you absolutely however college is now way too expensive to not make a consideration toward that. It shouldn't be, but it is. There aren't even any jobs for college grads just because they're college grads any more, which was pretty much the case from 1955 up until 1985 (or maybe even 1995). It can really be a lifekilling huge mistake.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sheep-Goats posted:

I agree with you absolutely however college is now way too expensive to not make a consideration toward that. It shouldn't be, but it is. There aren't even any jobs for college grads just because they're college grads any more, which was pretty much the case from 1955 up until 1985 (or maybe even 1995). It can really be a lifekilling huge mistake.

what difference does it make though? if your working at McDonalds anyway, why not have some fun and learn some cool stuff for 4 years first? oh no I'm $50,000 in debt from my "useless" degree! who cares? just dont pay it back.

your credit score is only useful if your going to buy a house and lets be honest you aernt going to buy a house on McDonalds salary anyway, and you cant go to jail for unpayed student loans. if you want to study something then study it, gently caress the consequences, the world is going to explode anyway

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

Fair enough.

I'm just saying it's all hosed up.

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
I studied music and double majored in english :)

It's actually working out!

Follow your dreams kids, only if you're really talented (like me).

Don't go to Berklee tho (lol)

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Just having a degree at all, doesn't matter what subject, opens up lots of doors. People are always saying this dumb poo poo that humanities degrees are useless but lets be real here it's not like the endless parade of psych and business degrees people get are any better and most people who go into the sciences are garbage at it and will contribute nothing of note to their field. The truth is that college is a check put there to weed out people who can't stay committed and to make sure poor people can't get white collar jobs.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

what difference does it make though? if your working at McDonalds anyway, why not have some fun and learn some cool stuff for 4 years first? oh no I'm $50,000 in debt from my "useless" degree! who cares? just dont pay it back.

your credit score is only useful if your going to buy a house and lets be honest you aernt going to buy a house on McDonalds salary anyway, and you cant go to jail for unpayed student loans. if you want to study something then study it, gently caress the consequences, the world is going to explode anyway

You take your BA in Fag and work for a union somewhere. Then if you went to college you don't get to buy a house for five years which has a pretty bad impact on retirement age.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Barris posted:

Just having a degree at all, doesn't matter what subject, opens up lots of doors.

People say this but it's not true. No door opens for BA in * other than teaching English overseas which is not a career.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
you know you can just read books, you don't have to get a degree in history to learn stuff, and then you won't have to complain as much about your barista pay

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Sheep-Goats posted:

medieval history phd. at least in terms of jobs. my cousin got his and there were 10 or 15 positions in the entire country. and that was good for that year. he went to an ivy league and managed to get a position in canada.

you also can basically flip a phd into a ton of things if you focus and think outside the box. though academia is a treadmill you do not want on, stem or no stem.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 1, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I also didn't like getting jerked around. I'm loving paying an absurd amount of money and we're in what is basically a customer - business relationship but their default response 90% of the time if there's a problem is 'deal with it.' Student services building was a joke and the professors/staff were never available.

Had to take an F for a whole quarter (4 loving classes) because even though I had a doctor's note from the University clinic, the professor that I needed to sign off on it left the country and wouldn't be back for a year and without his signature there was nothing I could do. They told me the head of the department could sign instead, and he just told me to go gently caress myself pretty much. So, awesome, my GPA is trashed in the meantime which fucks with financial aid and puts me further in debt because of their dumbass bureaucracy. Oh, and academic probation. Finally got it sorted A YEAR LATER.

Some idiot left an empty Joose can in my dorm room (we weren't even drinking, she just wandered in and hung out for 10 mins then left her can there) and the next morning I threw it out and some other idiot told the supervisor (not even the RA) and I had to write an essay and pay some loving $100 fine for drinking in my dorm room just on the say so of some idiot who saw me throw a can away.

Assholes I'm paying waaay too much money for that poo poo. Get it together. You can't charge what you do and still maintain this 'better than you' attitude towards students. At the end of the day you are providing a service that I am paying for.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 1, 2015

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
whats the gender neutral term for barista... can one of the humanenity degree holders chime in on this?? It's important there's some time pressure so please respond soon

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Moridin920 posted:

Had to take an F for a whole quarter (4 loving classes) because even though I had a doctor's note from the University clinic, the professor that I needed to sign off on it left the country and wouldn't be back for a year and without his signature there was nothing I could do. They told me the head of the department could sign instead, and he just told me to go gently caress myself pretty much. So, awesome, my GPA is trashed in the meantime which fucks with financial aid and puts me further in debt because of their dumbass bureaucracy. Oh, and academic probation. Finally got it sorted A YEAR LATER.

if it wasn't far along in the semester you might have been able to take a withdrawal instead of an f. i cant say for sure since every school is different. one school allowed grads to take a w as long as classes were still going. others you could only take a w with two weeks.

bureaucracy is something you are going to have to get used to. especially with colleges whose bureaucracy is byzantine and varies.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

People say this but it's not true. No door opens for BA in * other than teaching English overseas which is not a career.
If you have a bacheleors you can get a drat hr or customer service job in a big corp fairly easy. So I've heard. I'm paid to operate a forklift and all the jobs I had before that were pretty blue collar so I guess I'm sort of talking based off second-hand knowledge. Is that not so? It seems to me that if an employer had to choose between a college educated individual and a non-educated individual they would pick the former rather then the latter.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Barris posted:

If you have a bacheleors you can get a drat hr or customer service job in a big corp fairly easy. So I've heard. I'm paid to operate a forklift and all the jobs I had before that were pretty blue collar so I guess I'm sort of talking based off second-hand knowledge. Is that not so? It seems to me that if an employer had to choose between a college educated individual and a non-educated individual they would pick the former rather then the latter.

Having a degree doesn't help help with a customer service job at all at any level. Some companies will in fact avoid hiring people with degrees for those jobs because they don't stay as long. For HR there are certain degrees that help, and a general degree may be a slight advantage. The key thing is that if any degree will do for the position they will always prefer experience in the same position, so instead of spending money to get a degree you could have been paid to get the entry level exp and probably made the same job in half the time.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Sheep-Goats posted:

You take your BA in Fag and work for a union somewhere. Then if you went to college you don't get to buy a house for five years which has a pretty bad impact on retirement age.

lol just lol if your retirement plan isn't a shotgun

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Agree

Has anyone killed themselves in Hemingway's house in Ketchum as a tribute yet

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I actually plan on participating in Russian Roulette games for side money until (if?) I lose for the first (and last) time, which will also be a win.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
drat OP you're so smart I bet judging people for getting a degree gets you everywhere you want to go. I mean it's not like people actually learn unless they are learning how to build stuff.

Le Stem Masterrace Euphoria

:smug: :mmmsmug: :smugbert: :smugbird: :smugdog: :grin:

Mister Lonely
Oct 3, 2015

by Ralp
The whole idea of a "worthless" degree is very sexist in nature. It's not our fault that we live in a misogynist society that does not celebrate our strength and intelligence, and only cares about our tits and rear end's and getting into our cunts. Woman's studies is just as valid as engineering.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I studied Japanese lol

But not on a Master's level. Grad school is a waste of youth.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Lonely posted:

The whole idea of a "worthless" degree is very sexist in nature. It's not our fault that we live in a misogynist society that does not celebrate our strength and intelligence, and only cares about our tits and rear end's and getting into our cunts. Woman's studies is just as valid as engineering.

jon pop why did you choose the name "mister lonely" if you're adopting a female persona? that makes no sense, keep that in mind for next time

Mister Lonely
Oct 3, 2015

by Ralp

jon pop why did you choose the name "mister lonely" if you're adopting a female persona? that makes no sense, keep that in mind for next time

Your right. I should have chosen something practical and modern like a manticore. Those manticores are just so prominent in society, and you see them around every corner. It's so great that everyone here has a perfect rigid user name that perfectly describes them. I am so glad that none of the users named themselves after objects, mythical creatures, and iconic historic figures. It's so beautiful that every user name perfectly aligns with the users race, age, gender, hobbies, religion, and political identification. I couldn't possibly have chosen this name as a symbol of how technology has isolated many men, and turned them into angry, self loathing, misogynist who hate women and actively plot against them. No I am just some dumb oval office who doesn't know what she is or what she stands for. What if I changed my name to Summ8rGrl99? Would that be better?

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Lonely posted:

Your right. I should have chosen something practical and modern like a manticore. Those manticores are just so prominent in society, and you see them around every corner. It's so great that everyone here has a perfect rigid user name that perfectly describes them. I am so glad that none of the users named themselves after objects, mythical creatures, and iconic historic figures. It's so beautiful that every user name perfectly aligns with the users race, age, gender, hobbies, religion, and political identification. I couldn't possibly have chosen this name as a symbol of how technology has isolated many men, and turned them into angry, self loathing, misogynist who hate women and actively plot against them. No I am just some dumb oval office who doesn't know what she is or what she stands for. What if I changed my name to Summ8rGrl99? Would that be better?

that would be more consistent with the persona you're presenting, so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Mister Lonely posted:

hey can you do me a solid and not shoot up a school? thanks in advance

• Locked thread