Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Somehow I have no memory of this entire boss battle. Probably for the best.

(Glad to have the LP back, Id!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

And Kimahri was never heard from again...

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Nohman posted:

Kimahri Simpson Ronso: Whereabouts Unknown

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Holy poo poo I never expected this to come back.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Hell yeah, it's back! And just as Record Keeper announced the Auron event! :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The turning circle on that jetski is a thing of beauty.

It's obvious but this game would be so much better if all of TDI's things were actual dialogue. I love TDI Tidus. Actual Tidus, not so much.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Aurain posted:

It's obvious but this game would be so much better if all of TDI's things were actual dialogue.

Regrettably, not every game can be Drakengard 3.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
One more thing tilting affection in Lulu's favor: Who you talk to first in group chat sessions.

Lulu is usually the closest person to your starting position in those scenes, so if you just run through to talk with "everyone" you will usually be talking to her first. Very simple, and kind of weird in its implications.

Mainly, no one actually had affection for anyone. They just wanted to get through the pseudo cutscenes faster.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Makes me laugh that they put in these alternate scenes and construct this relationship system all to determine who is in the final overdrive which means nothing.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I seem to recall hearing from a totally unverified source that when FFX was in development, there was going to be a 'Rikku version' and 'Yuna version' of the story. This is why Rikku shows up so early in the game, and has scenes like this.

I have nothing to back this up.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

bewilderment posted:

I seem to recall hearing from a totally unverified source that when FFX was in development, there was going to be a 'Rikku version' and 'Yuna version' of the story. This is why Rikku shows up so early in the game, and has scenes like this.

Eh, it's not like they didn't do this in the past. They did it for FF7 to. I think they may have done something similar in 8, but regardless they're all pointless.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So good that

is back

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
These Al Bhed guys have a very strange idea of protection.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

So happy this is back. In between I've beaten the HD Remaster so things are a lot fresher.

That fight is a kick in the arse when you first encounter it - not many fights caused me to reload but being wholly unprepared for this one can get you whooped in short order.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I did not know you could also get cutscenes with Auron & Kimahri.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Golden Goat posted:

I did not know you could also get cutscenes with Auron & Kimahri.

I didn't know you could get cutscenes with anybody aside from Lulu. I thought the affection thing changed what they talked about, not who you talked to.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

bewilderment posted:

I remember that too, but I think it was for the sequel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The affection system in FF X is an interesting thing to look at in comparison to Tales of Symphonia, which I believe was the entry of that franchise that came out around the same time. Symphonia has a similar thing but because the Tales skit system allows you to have a bit more flexibility in how you approach things, it can actually have a moderately significant impact, including dictating one party member's fate. FF's version gives you this one brief scene and dictates who helps out in Tidus' final special attack.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

The affection system in FF X is an interesting thing to look at in comparison to Tales of Symphonia, which I believe was the entry of that franchise that came out around the same time. Symphonia has a similar thing but because the Tales skit system allows you to have a bit more flexibility in how you approach things, it can actually have a moderately significant impact, including dictating one party member's fate. FF's version gives you this one brief scene and dictates who helps out in Tidus' final special attack.

There are a few other scenes, but yeah it's largely really pointless. If they did intend to have the player be able to choose between the girls then that would at least make sense but that's not even be mentioned as a 'cut' feature of any sort.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Affection_Mechanics

There are two more scenes coming which I never knew were affection based, but yeah it's weird they put a lot of effort for so little pay off. Funnily enough Lulu is the easiest to get affection with, and will beat out Yuna and Rikku handily without counting healing and other mechanics. You'd think it'd be Yuna but no, she's second to Lulu.

Guess Tidus is just into goth milfs.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 1, 2015

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Funnily enough, considering it affects an Overdrive you will use until or at least at the end of the game, the affection mechanic might have a longer-lasting impact in FFX than in FF7 :v:. Though FF7's different scenes might still be more...memorable.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Hey Id, are you still using the PS2 version or are you playing the HD re-release?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Hey Id, are you still using the PS2 version or are you playing the HD re-release?

I'm emulating the PS2 version because my PS3 is about to die, I'm not replaying 25 hours of game, and the International Version adds a bunch of bullshit I'm not dealing with. Also everyone's faces looks weird and the remixed soundtrack sounds like garbage in the HD version. :colbert:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Onmi posted:

Guess Tidus is just into goth milfs.

Lulu's only 22 though.

Also apparently Wakka's 23 and Kimahri's only 25.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Lulu's only 22 though.

Which makes her Mrs Robinson by JRPG standards.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Lulu's only 22 though.

Also apparently Wakka's 23 and Kimahri's only 25.

And for Spira 22 is loving ancient since Sin comes and kills everyone every now and then. Like the world of X is for once, an actual good reason why everyone is so young, Sin just murders loving everyone, and as the assault on Sin showed, you can't really fight him, he's not even really trying when he annihilates villages, it just sort of happens.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Well now I feel old as poo poo. I guess I've out-aged every JRPG protagonist (not counting immortals). I'm gonna be really worried when I catch up with Barret and Cid from FFVII.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Say what you will about the new soundtrack but the the remix of Enemy Attack is a singular achievement. I never thought adding drumbeats would make something sound WUSSIER.

I'm on Vita so I can't replace it :(

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Oh hey, Final Fantasy X is back! I'm so happy, I made a thing!

Like all my best ideas, I came up with it in the shower.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nohman posted:

We heard from him in the first place?

Kimahri says maybe five words every third scene (and that's being ridiculously liberal with what counts as a word, or ridiculously conservative as to what counts as a scene). All he does is pose, grunt, and is the resident punching bag whenever the Whorf Effect needs to be demonstrated.

The most personality Kimahri has ever shown was when the Tippin' 40's crew taught him Explode by using Lancet on a Bomb. There are literal walls in other games that demonstrate more personality than Kimhari.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Most of the international version content was already present when this game came out in the PAL regions, so even to this day, I'm not quite sure what it adds other than Expert grid and Dark Aeons and Penance

I'm spoilering those out of extra caution because although TDI said he's playing the regular version so we won't be seeing them, but we've not got to a point where they could come up yet so better safe than sorry.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
There is nothing the international version could have added that could possibly be more assholish and frustrating than that loving chocobo minigame for that one ultimate weapon piece :shepicide: The one and only time I nearly loving killed a controller over a video game.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LIX-2: Show My Affection

Music: Fantasy

As I said earlier, the snowmobile scene is dictated by the unseen Affection Level with party members up to this point. The scales are stacked heavily in Lulu's favor both due to her being squishy in battles and needing healing (which raises her disposition toward Tidus if he performs said heal) and most “okay talk to everyone” scenes having Lulu close to the starting position. Also the fact she's a party member from nearly the beginning and seldom sits out of battles. Also coupled with the fact Kimahri and Auron apparently start out with lower default scores than Yuna, Rikku, or Lulu. You really need to work to get the latter two's scenes.

I've honestly never gotten anyone but Lulu up until now and I'm not sure what tipped the scales. Other than possibly Lulu getting her poo poo kicked in during the most recent battle as I remembered how the hell to play this game after several years away.

Anyway, thanks to the magic of LP editing we can just go ahead and see the alternate versions of this scene. The following is ripped from a video of the HD Version of the game in which everyone has weird faces and hosed up hair. So bare with it for a bit. :v:

- LULU'S VERSION -

"Hey, not at all."
"Thank you."
”I hate to have seen how he reacted when he found out Santa wasn't real.”
“...Who?”
"Santa Claus."
*shakes head and looks confused*
*grits teeth* ”Ughhh... Spira is the worst...”

"Say, what do you think of Rikku?"
"Me? She's... fun to be with."
"Heh. That all?"
"Hmph. Well, I can tell she's not a bad person."
”As long as we try to avoid any more thunderstorms.”
“Oh, UGH! What the HELL was up with that? Did she eat a bad mushroom back at that Guadosalami joint? I didn't want to be mean but MAN. Tone it down a notch with the theatrics, ya know?”
:geno: “Hmph. Really? Ha. Ha ha. Haaa.”
“...”
“Yeah. ...Okay I deserve that.”

“Wakka's head is as hard as a rock. I bet it's because of Yevon. Or, you know, something like that."
”I follow Yevon as well. Let's not hurry to conclusions we're all as... dedicated as Wakka.”
”Yeah it's cool. I know you're not racist and got an Al Bhed friend to prove it.”

"Well, there's more to it than that."
"Hmm?"
"Wakka doesn't like the Al Bhed because of his brother Chappu."
”Hmm? Was he hooking up with an Al Bhed chick or something?”
*death glare*
“OH! Right... You and Chappu were... Forgot! Sorry! Don't do anything crazy, I'm driving. So...”

"Oh...he used a machina weapon, right? And got killed by Sin.”

“drat you, Jecht."
"What?"
"Oh, nothing!”
:stare:
“I was just... thinking about this other time with my old man. Don't know what brought that up! Ahahahahaha! Haha! Haaaa...”
“...”
"...Right..."

"I can't say that I know, but why?"
"Just a thought."
"Hmm... Sin is the punishment for, and the incarnation of, crimes we have committed."
"So, no one really knows what it is?"
"There's no need to know, so no one asks. You run or you fight. That is really all you can do. There's no sense brooding over it."
"What, that's all? I mean, you don't even wonder?"
*chuckle* "You really do come from a world where there is no Sin, like you say."
”And somehow this world is not rubbing off at all thus far...”

And that about does it for Lulu's ride. These snowmobiles are actually going about three miles per hour. You can walk through the area this cutscene takes place. Without random battles it takes less than two minutes on foot. Maybe there is a tiny bit to be said about machines leading to laziness...

- AURON VERSION -

If both Lulu and Rikku's affection levels are too low, the two ladies will decide to ride a snowmobile together and ditch Tidus in their dust. The star player of the Zanarkand Abes is having a rough season.

Instead, we'll just have to ride alongside Auron and bug him for a spell. I'm sure he's thrilled to have the company.

"What?"
"I'll take Kimahri over you any day!"
"Hmph. Just don't do anything rash."
"What's that mean?"
”Oh man. Don't tell me you're gonna come out as racist against those Ronso dudes now...”
*glares*

"I'm saying you should not complicate matters. Or you'll find yourself trapped, understand?"
"I don't need you to tell me that!”
”Look, I get it. This Yuna thing is a bummer. But I still know how to play the field here.”
“Mmm-hmm. And that's why you're riding alongside me?”
“...Crud.”

“I guess there's some sense in what you're saying."
"Make mistakes. That's what youth is for after all. Do not waste it."
"So which is it!?"

Sorry, no time for more wise elder advice. Gotta make this sick jump, nerd! And with it end Auron's version of events. Really not worth the effort of grinding an useless gimmick stat. At least the Barret Date in Final Fantasy VII was amusing.

- KIMAHRI VERSION -

If things go really weird during Tidus' journey with Yuna and the gang then Rikku and Lulu will once more take off. Though this time Auron will also speed off to get bigger air on his sick jump at the end of the course to get a better score. Meanwhile, it seems Kimahri crashed into a snow drift and nobody helped him out until Tidus comes along. So they'll chat for a bit instead.

"Say... What do you think about Rikku being an Al Bhed?"
"Ronso are followers of Yevon. Ronso dislike Al Bhed."
*disappointed nod* "Oh, I get it."
”So besides the whole religion thing, do you Ronso dudes get any... you know... Wakka sort of types for being... You know... Big blue cat dudes...?
“Sometimes people not like Ronso. You see man with no arms? Probably used to hate Ronso.”
“...Noted...”

"Not Kimahri.”

“Rikku swore to protect Yuna. And Rikku is not a liar. Kimahri can tell. So, she is a friend."
”Yeah. Right on. So... Are we friends too, big guy?”
“You nancy boy idiot that talks too much for Kimahri. But Yuna likes you. And nancy boy protect Yuna. So... close enough to friend for Kimahri. Like Rikku.”
“I... see...”

"You know, you might want to tell her that later. I think she needs to know that we still want her with us."

"Why?"
"Kimahri think you are kind.”
“Uh, don't tell anyone, okay?"
*grunts* “Only if you watch Kimahri's sick jump?”
“...'Sick jump'?”

And that is it for the third and final alternate take on the snowmobile scene. Yep. Totally not worth the effort to see!

Alternate Snowmobile Cutscenes

Snowmobile Concept Art

Lake Macalania Concept Art

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 2, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I had no idea Auron had a scene, I always thought it was just the girls and Kimahri. :psyduck: I thought I knew this game pretty well.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I didn't think it'd be possible to make Tiddly's hair look worse than it did originally but they managed it on that HD version.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...I thought all those scenes were nice. :shobon:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Aurain posted:

Most of the international version content was already present when this game came out in the PAL regions, so even to this day, I'm not quite sure what it adds

You can read a more detailed summary at GameFAQs. One thing I didn't see noted in that guide was that Overdrive->AP has diminishing returns, so you'll want to get a smaller number of occasions of really good "overdrive" oomph to get good AP, rather than just dragging on a battle for ages.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Ugh no. That RE6 Jake screen gives me PTSD. gently caress that game.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I never picked up on the whole sacrifice thing when I played the game until they got more explicit about it.

I feel bleach-blonde myself.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Ha ha ha haaa!
Ha ha ha ha ha haa haa!
Ha ha halloween season!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I love Auron's backseat dating advice. Auron's the best.

That picture is the worst.

• Locked thread