Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Kheldarn posted:

TDI, this seems like a great time to post that Wakka image you tweeted earlier this week. :allears:

I made that image in the OG thread. Seems even more relevant now. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
It's strange when there's so many 1 foot high hair doos that the only time in a game I can remember someone really spending time on their appearance was Barrett in Costa Del Sol. I never even saw that scene before the Elector LP. As a punk who spends a good 15-20 min with a blow drier to get my mohawk right, I have to say that waking up looking like that must be nice....

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The true source of Shin-Ra's wealth: turning mako into hair gel!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The true source of Shin-Ra's wealth: turning mako into hair gel!

Oh god I can imagine the commercials

Shin-Ra Brand Beauty Products - Put some life into your hair

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

How many Ancients died for you to look like that?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Seeing as it's been so long since I've read the old thread, I decided to go back and catch up while waiting for new updates. Now I actually want to play the game again, especially since I never did get around to beating the HD version. I got stuck in an area that pops up later, leveling because one of my characters didn't have a skill I wanted them to have for a certain only-that-one-character-allowed battle (I'm trying to be as detailed as possible while not going all *winkwinknudgenudge*, but if it sounds like I am, I deeply apologize). Part of the problem is that I misused the new Expert Grid a bit and now everyone is overleveled so grinding is super slow (I'm talking like 7-8 battles to get one sphere level), while that character is still like a dozen spaces away from the skill they want. So now the choice is going back to my old file (which has a few annoying sidequests out of the way, namely the acquisition of the Sun and Jupiter Sigils), or doing a new game and undoing all that work.

Ah well, I can think about it while I keep rereading.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Med School posted:

How many Ancients died for you to look like that?

How many Ancients are dying for hair like yours? Order today!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Tae posted:

Considering people still misinterpret scenes in FFX, I'd say it's still too subtle.
With regards to the whole 'hey idiot this is a suicide mission' twist it's incredibly subtle, too much since it's to the detriment of other things (the Laughing Scene as I said before.)
Other than that it uses subtlety well. Operation Mi'hen for example, while everything about it you can suss out no problem there are further ramifications that you won't know about until further down the line. Auron too is a good use of subtlety not only for himself but in the overarching game.

Onmi posted:

FFX on the other hand flat out has a scene where everyone slowly and calmly explains exactly what the themes are and what everyones character is in regard to the overall plot.... I actually think they have at least two of these scenes.
I know I never saw the second one because of Mount Gagazet and the first one doesn't cover everything. VII falls into the 'collective unconsciousness getting it wrong' bit mostly because it's still an early PS1 era jRPG with tons of faults muddling it's intended messages and most of it's iconic scenes being about it's backstory rather than it's themes.
FFX in contrast has one of it's iconic scenes being the whole 'this is what's going on' exposition. Of course it's near the end of the game and being that FFX gets kind of aggressive in it's latter half it wouldn't surprise me that many people have only second hand experience with it.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Geostomp posted:

How many Ancients are dying for hair like yours? Order today!

Last I checked, just one.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Can you hear the cry of the planet?

Yes, your awful hair makes the planet cry! Cheer it up, with Rufus-brand hair gel! Rule the masses through fear... and STYLE!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Say what you want about your Mako-based hair products, but that Jenova-based stuff Sephiroth uses gives his hair hold that's out of this world.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Because Mother is worth it.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 4, 2015

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

This made my day.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

EponymousMrYar posted:

With regards to the whole 'hey idiot this is a suicide mission' twist it's incredibly subtle, too much since it's to the detriment of other things (the Laughing Scene as I said before.)
Other than that it uses subtlety well. Operation Mi'hen for example, while everything about it you can suss out no problem there are further ramifications that you won't know about until further down the line. Auron too is a good use of subtlety not only for himself but in the overarching game.

I know I never saw the second one because of Mount Gagazet and the first one doesn't cover everything. VII falls into the 'collective unconsciousness getting it wrong' bit mostly because it's still an early PS1 era jRPG with tons of faults muddling it's intended messages and most of it's iconic scenes being about it's backstory rather than it's themes.
FFX in contrast has one of it's iconic scenes being the whole 'this is what's going on' exposition. Of course it's near the end of the game and being that FFX gets kind of aggressive in it's latter half it wouldn't surprise me that many people have only second hand experience with it.

Well, I've met a person who's died to the first fight in FFV and someone who said they never made it out of the prologue of FFX. So I can believe that some people are just that stupid that even if they got as far as "This is what was going on" they wouldn't pick it up.

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bufuman posted:

Seeing as it's been so long since I've read the old thread, I decided to go back and catch up while waiting for new updates. Now I actually want to play the game again, especially since I never did get around to beating the HD version. I got stuck in an area that pops up later, leveling because one of my characters didn't have a skill I wanted them to have for a certain only-that-one-character-allowed battle (I'm trying to be as detailed as possible while not going all *winkwinknudgenudge*, but if it sounds like I am, I deeply apologize). Part of the problem is that I misused the new Expert Grid a bit and now everyone is overleveled so grinding is super slow (I'm talking like 7-8 battles to get one sphere level), while that character is still like a dozen spaces away from the skill they want. So now the choice is going back to my old file (which has a few annoying sidequests out of the way, namely the acquisition of the Sun and Jupiter Sigils), or doing a new game and undoing all that work.

Ah well, I can think about it while I keep rereading.

Do you mean steal for B+Y?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Cocksmith posted:

Do you mean steal for B+Y?

That's the one. The steals from that battle are a pain in the rear end to get that early otherwise, so I like to have Steal for that fight.

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bufuman posted:

That's the one. The steals from that battle are a pain in the rear end to get that early otherwise, so I like to have Steal for that fight.

could use a teleport/special sphere if you got them from bikanel/home

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I cant tell anymore if that Sephiroth is a he or a she

FF syndrome

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

grandalt posted:

You know, ever since seeing an abridged of this game, I can't not see Yuna raising her staff and not view it as her accidentally hitting Lulu in the face.

Oh? Do post a link

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, here's the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYoPOM6CMM0 to the first video in the series, the rest are easy enough to find there.

WARNING: the series is complete, so it covers the whole game. There will be spoilers if you watch this.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Hey, Id, I'm rereading the entries from the old thread that you put on the SSTester site, and I've noticed a few errors here and there. Nothing serious, just a couple repeated screenshots and wrong portraits. You want to know about them so you can fix them, or do you prefer to take the "gently caress it" route and leave them be?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I think the story improves once the reveal happens. I mean, it's obvious he's evil early on, but it's nice when he stops pretending. Also the whole scene is great. They confront him with "hey, you're evil" and he's just like "yep, gonna kill you now". It's refreshingly blunt.

Also I like that Yuna's description of the sphere back in the Thunder Plains is that the gist is "please take care of my son" and then you get here and it turns out Jyscal basically did request that, but meant it in a more Al Pacino way.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXI: Defend My Summoner

New Music: Seymour's Ambition

How could it have inevitably come to this? Time to fight Seymour Guado & Friends! This boss battle has a few gimmicks going for it. But it doesn't nearly have as many things to juggle as the Crawler. Which doesn't say a lot for Seymour's abilities, to be honest.

First of all, we have Seymour's two cronies to worry about. Before we can do anything, both of the Guado henchmen will cast Protect on themselves to limit damage from physical attacks.

Meanwhile, Seymour buffs himself with Shell to ward off those pesky magical abilties. Usually mages have a bit higher than normal inate magical resistance and a glass jaw when it comes to physical attacks. But I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

Following the Guado Gang's buffs, we'll gain control of the party. Three of the party members (Tidus, Yuna, and Wakka) now have access to a Trigger Command for this fight: Talk. We can use it on Seymour and should do so immediately with all three characters.

"Oh, my sincerest apologies."
"Seymour!" :argh:

Getting all hotblooded anime protagonist on Seymour will boost the holy hell out of Tidus' physical attacks for the duration of the fight. His normal attacks will do a good 1500-2500 HP a shot. So he'll be doing most of the leg work damage output wise against Seymour.

"Your eyes, they burn with resolve... Beautiful." :q:

Seymour being a bigger creeper than usual will raise Yuna's magic defenses. I like how Seymour has absolutely no middle ground between shady, almost definitely evil church official and full on definitely evil slimeball. Just: 'Oh my, my ghost dad ratted me out? I suppose it's time to just murder everyone in the middle of this public temple.' I wonder how confused his entourage are right now at this turn of events.

"... ... ..."
“Argh... This can't be happening!"

Wakka's Magic Defense also raises thanks to Seymour... having no response to him. Sorry Wakka, folks in power only pay attention to the hyper religious shirtless rednecks whose only compassion are sports and making GBS threads on minorities around election time and I think maesters are in it for life.

Now then, about the battle proper. We've got a couple problems to deal with before we can get to work on Seymour. Namely, his two buddies. Seymour has Shell cast so magic is out (and he'd just immediately recast it if it were dispelled.) And if we attempt to attack him physically, it is revealed Seymour has grinded out the S-Link with his pals, so they will shield any blows against him.

On top of that, both the Guado goons are equipped with Auto-Potion and will heal 1000 HP as soon as they are attacked by anything. Rude. We need to put a button on that ASAP.

Rikku comes in handy here. Auto-Potion can be disabled by simply having her steal from the two. We get a pair of free Hi-Potions out of the deal and their infinite supply of auto-healing is knocked out of commission. Don't ask me how that works. It just does. Don't question it.

On the offensive side of Team Guado, Seymour comes packing all four second tier magic spells and will select a different one every turn. That's all he's got going for him at the moment. While damaging, it's not the biggest of threats. Yuna can pop off some Shell spells to lessen the damage. It's recommend at least herself and Tidus get a dose of the old Shell, since they're the major players in this fight.

While still breathing and not busying themselves with protecting Seymour or healing themselves, the Guado guards will use “Shremedy” which afflicts Confusion on a party member. Depending on who it hits, that can be a minor annoyance. Or it could mean a confused Tidus lopping Yuna's head off by mistake. So best to avoid that by...

...Murdering both of Seymour's body guards, of course. Can't leave any witnesses to our assassination of a head of Yevon, now can we? Maybe Auron has knowledge of doctoring a crime scene to frame one of 'em. He did travel with Jecht. That scenario had to crop up at least once or twice. :v:

After we waste Seymour's guards and take the man himself to around 50% health (of his total 6,000 HP) he'll decide he has enough of our poo poo and pull out his trump card...

Things just got a whole lot more METAL! :rock:

We now need to deal with Seymour's trademark summon, Anima. The death metal album cover of an aeon has 18,000 HP we need to grind down before the fight returns focus to Seymour. Which is a lot less of an ordeal than it sounds. Despite its fierce looks, Anima is a bit of a glass cannon and takes damage like a chump.

Fighting Anima is a bit of a race against the clock. As soon as it is summoned it uses Boost, making all actions (especially attacks against it) err... boost its Overdrive gauge. And we do not want to see the aeon's overdrive. And if we do, it better be one of Yuna's aeons taking one for the team. Otherwise, well...

We're gonna have a bad time.

While waiting to annihilate everyone on the field with its overdrive, Anima's only offensive capability is Pain. Which... is an instant kill against anyone in our party. I think the game may be kind of nudging us toward using a summon. Indeed, as soon as Anima appears one of the party members will straight up tell Yuna “Summon! NOW!”

And there is a good reason for that. I wasn't actually joking earlier when I said Yuna did a speedrun through the Cloister of Trials. In her ten minute head start over the party she did indeed solve all the temple puzzles, pray to the fayth, and got hooked up with a brand new aeon. She's certainly come a long way from spending multiple days praying in a temple just to get an oversized bird with boobs out of the deal.

We may as well give that a test drive. Especially, since I have a Grand Summon overdrive tucked away for a rainy day good to go on Yuna already.

Alright, you're on oversized shawl duty while our giant woman ice stripper gets to work. Meet ???? or Shiva, as her friends like to call her. For now.

Shiva had a few options available to her. But we did perform a Grand Summon, so we may as well use it. We do have 16,000 HP to whittle down here, after all.

???? gets her Sub-Zero on and and proceeds to ice blast the entire field. Wasn't there a terrible female Sub-Zero clone at some point or am I imagining things? Back on the tail end of the PS2/GCN/Xbox generation that was full to the brim with poo poo characters to the point they had to do a soft reboot.

Yep! Frost. Good grief. Literally just Sub-Zero with boobs and some sort of ridiculous frozen Super Saiyan hair. Terrible.

Anyway, letting Shiva get her magical sass on does some pretty good damage here against Anima. This leg of the battle is already over half done.

We still need to worry about Anima's Overdrive as it will one-shot Shiva. But Pain's instant kill abilities don't work against aeons and only do around 500ish damage. Which is nothing to worry about.

Should Shiva's HP get low, she comes equipped with Blizzard and Blizzara. The latter of which can be cast on Shiva herself for a full heal. Or against Anima for a good 3000 HP of damage.

As its unique ability, Shiva brings to the table “Heavenly Strike” which is... just forming a large chunk of ice above an opponent's head and letting gravity do its work. Despite being literally ice in a world where ice is a type of magic, it only counts as a non-elemental physical attack. It can also inflict Threaten (read: Paralysis/Daze/Kind of a lovely Stop) occasionally... were we not against an enemy that is immune to the status.

Not much more to be said on the ice queen or the embodiment of Seymour's teenage angst. Diamond Dust did most of the work on Anima and it's just a matter of burning through the rest of its HP in short order with Blizzara or Heavenly Strikes.

Once its health is depleted, Seymour dismisses Anima and returns to the battle for a second round. The creep has cheated a bit during his aeon summoning as he's regained all his health and hosed with his Sphere Grid a bit to buff his magic capabilities and unlock double-casting for his magic.

Seymour's first order of business will be to nuke Shiva from the playing field. Two rounds of tier two magic will probably do the job in short order. But barring that, Seymour can straight up use his summoner ability to dismiss Yuna's aeons. So those are out for the remainder of the battle.

Remember how I said it was a good idea to use Shell on some of the active party? Well this is why. Seymour takes every turn to cast two second tier magic spells. With Shell active it only does around 500-700 per attack. While unprotected it can do four digit damage. That's less than ideal.

Optimally, we want Yuna and Tidus at least Hasted and everyone with a Shell. Yuna is on healing duty, Tidus is still doing around 2000 HP of damage with his physicals and basically soloing the damage output for the fight. Lulu is worthless since Seymour still has Shell cast as well. And Rikku is made out of tissue paper still at this point and can't do physical damage worth crap. So Auron or Wakka ought to be our third wheel. I suppose Kimahri could work too, but that would require remembering he exists in the heat of battle and that's just never going to happen.

Once we have a good set-up in place, it's just a matter of beating Seymour into submission. No further tricks up the Guado's ridiculously oversized sleeves. He apparently forgot how to do his Overdrive back at Mushroom Rock. Not that I'm complaining.

Welp. That wasn't too bad. Your Sphere Grid was a mess, maester.

Yuna replies with a silent look of “Eh...”

Aaaaaand that's a wrap! No fleeing through a portal or taking off on a helicopter to fight another day here. First battle and job is done. Maester Seymour Guado is loving dead! :toot:

RIP Seymour Guado. Meanwhile, Guado Guard A was supporting three children after their mother was killed in an attack by Sin earlier this year. Guado Guard B's wife was expecting their first child later this month. Both of their corpses have been shuffled off into a corner to rot while Seymour's death drama plays out. Real compassionate, Yuna.

*rushes to Seymour* “Wh-What happened here?”

“Wait a minute! It's not our fault at all!”
”I mean yes... it's our fault he's dead now. But there was more to it than that!”

*evacuates bowels*

“Dude, it was self-defense.”
“B-But there are SEVEN of you!”
“He had two more dudes with him. They err...”
*looks at twitching roasted bodies of Guado Guards* “...Nevermind about that.”

*walks away* "Yuna. Send him."

“Stay away from him, traitors!"

The trio of Guado recover Seymour's body and shuffle off out of the room with his corpse to go enact Weekend at Seymour's or whatever Guado do with their dead. Nobody pays it much mind. I'm sure that will never come up again.

Yuna drops to her knees...

“We're finished.”
"Now hold on just a minute! Seymour's the bad guy, right? We'll just explain to everyone what happened!"
"It won't be that easy...”

What's so difficult to explain? A summoner's guardians only beat up a monk to gain access to the inner sanctum of a temple and murdered the resident maester, and leader of an entire race of Spira, as well as his bodyguards in cold blood. But we have proof he was a baddie! A ghost leaving behind a video tape saying his son was totally an evil little poo poo and did him in will hold up in court, right?

Wait... didn't we leave that in the other room with the temple staff and Tromell nearby? Bah. I'm sure it's fine.

Anyway, no reason to dwell on it. We've gotten a new summon for Yuna so our business is concluded at this temple. Let's bounce.

But first, some healthy spoils of war. Look, we're at no fault for the vicious assassination of Seymour Guado. All that loot that was on his still warm corpse was just going to go to waste if we didn't take it! It'd be a disservice to his memory if we didn't take all the money from his wallet as well.

It's only natural.

And finally, now that the battle is over we can rename ????/Shiva. The original thread came to a consensus of Gunter way back when. Any you know what...? That thread caught on fire around then. Gunter is clearly some sort of hexed name and we won't have it poisoning this resurrected LP. So that name is tossed in the trash. It's a new thread. It's been three years. So let's have a do-over.

----- AEON RENAMING: SHIVA -----

Let's review the boundaries for naming our new summon...
  • We’ve only got EIGHT spaces to work with here. So no names over eight spaces!
  • Suggestions must be BOLDED to make my life easier. If you don't bold it, I'm not going to acknowledge it.
  • No naming it dongs or any variations thereof. This is a family friendly LP except for all the times it is not.
  • No using other summons' names. From this game or previous titles. That's just confusing.
  • Gunter is a killing name. It is barred from the proceedings.
  • Try not to kill my soul too hard with ice/snow puns...

Whatever consensus the thread comes to or whatever I think is the funniest will become Shiva's new slave name loving title.

Video: Episode 61 Highlight Reel
(Recommended viewing!)

Anima Concept Art - Catdog got really hosed up in later seasons...

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 6, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Funny enough, Frost is back in MKX. Kinda.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I used to think this fight had an interesting gimmick, but then Record Keeper happened.

Also I forgot Ixion got named Thorse. That's still a wonderful name.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ice Pun

:v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A woman on ice? That sounds like Nora to me. It's ice pun adjacent, okay?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In honor of the greatest ice puns, Arnold

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Name her Shiver because the real Shiva's portfolio is nothing to do with ice, and clearly this one only has that name because it sounds like shiver.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cornetto

Also, I think you've got a typo on this word here: "sinereceres"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
SpiceGrl because character limit.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
NSFW sounds pretty good to me.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'll vote for Celsius, for that other female ice summon from that other long-running JRPG series.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm boring. Shiva sounds good to me. Or Shiver if we must.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Just go with Shiver.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Elfface posted:

Name her Shiver because the real Shiva's portfolio is nothing to do with ice, and clearly this one only has that name because it sounds like shiver.

she seems like a nice lady

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Given Spira's tropical setting, let's try Poliahu, after the Hawaiian goddess of snow.

(Technically, it's Poli'ahu but I don't see an apostrophe amongst the characters you can use to name her.)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Variant_Eris posted:

NSFW sounds pretty good to me.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Aurain posted:

I think that was a tryingtomatchthelipflaps joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Aurain posted:

Cornetto

If only Dame Blanche could fit

But I support any icecream related puns

• Locked thread