Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Battletech is back and in kickstarter!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech?ref=hero_thanks

Turn-based tactical 'Mech combat set in the classic 3025 era of the BattleTech Universe. From the creators of the Shadowrun Series!

personally I trust them and their concept better than Star Citizen's concept ships and the developer has a proven track record like Shadowrun games!

EminusSleepus fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Shouldn't this be posted in the kickstarter thread? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473379

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, but it's mother-loving Battletech.

And I'm not saying that sarcastically.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Just found out about this. gently caress yes.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
flight jackets and military caps? heck yes

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Is this thread really not getting more love? Wow. Surprised given how many people seem to love this old franchise. I'm in for at least $35, and might go for $50 depending on how things look over the next three weeks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hell to the loving no, there have been too many failed Battletech games recently. Will wait until its finished. This dev did make Shadowrun though and that is very positive, but still, no. This franchise is cursed.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
dat jacket tho

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

BadAstronaut posted:

Is this thread really not getting more love? Wow. Surprised given how many people seem to love this old franchise. I'm in for at least $35, and might go for $50 depending on how things look over the next three weeks.

We don't want to admit the shame of throwing into the kickstarter, because

I said come in! posted:

This franchise is cursed.

:pgi: still owe me a game.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

AMA on Reddit if any of you are interested
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3p0i7m/hi_im_mike_mccain_a_creative_director_at/

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

BadAstronaut posted:

There was more discussion in the MWO thread, but yes.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Worth 40 bux. But not a penny more after how underwhelming Wasteland & MWO are. Old Skool tabletop does not age well, and this game was already tried with MW:Tatics, which was a horrible failswarm.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Hal_2005 posted:

Worth 40 bux. But not a penny more after how underwhelming Wasteland & MWO are. Old Skool tabletop does not age well, and this game was already tried with MW:Tatics, which was a horrible failswarm.

From what was said, it's been acknowledged that the original system was very, very, very outdated and that this game will be updating things because, who knew, a 25+ table top system is badly balanced for a video game! Which was what MW:Tactics kinda stuck to, if I recall.

Then again, I just played it, like, once.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Cosmic Afro posted:

From what was said, it's been acknowledged that the original system was very, very, very outdated and that this game will be updating things because, who knew, a 25+ table top system is badly balanced for a video game! Which was what MW:Tactics kinda stuck to, if I recall.

Was going to post here to point that out as well, and add that Harebrained did retool the Shadowrun system. So it's not as if they're a bunch of Grognards who will get their collective chest hair tangled if something that needs balancing gets adjusted. They're pretty cool like that.

Oh and:

27,752 backers
$1,817,324 pledged of $250,000 goal
16 days to go

I've plunked down my C-Bills.:getin:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I hope this is wildly successful so they keep making expansions.

I need me some:

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Hal_2005 posted:

HBS has release 3 games already; a good one with Shadowrun Returns, a great one with Dragonfall, and a phenomenal one with Hong Kong. If there is any company I trust to resurrect dead franchises it's them

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Shadowrun games loving owned and this game will probably own too

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yeah, I'm retroactively planning to check out the SR games based on what I've heard since backing bt.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Fart Car '97 posted:

My only hope is that they add the pvp stuff as an expansion later on, but I rarely buy video games but I bought all the shadowrun and I'll have to hurl money at this too. Hopefully with some kind of blood bowl level progression system for pilots and your lance.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Error 404 posted:

Yeah, I'm retroactively planning to check out the SR games based on what I've heard since backing bt.

You could skip the first one, but DragonFall and Hong Kong are great. They're not linear or anything.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fart Car '97 posted:

You could skip the first one, but DragonFall and Hong Kong are great. They're not linear or anything.

The first is only 15 bux, That's far enough below my shits and giggles threshold that even if it sucked out loud I'd be ok with it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

homerlaw posted:

HBS has release 3 games already; a good one with Shadowrun Returns, a great one with Dragonfall, and a phenomenal one with Hong Kong. If there is any company I trust to resurrect dead franchises it's them

I can only hope they do Crimson Skies once they're done making 3-4 Battletech games. :v: Why stop at two old FASA franchises/darlings?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can only hope they do Crimson Skies once they're done making 3-4 Battletech games. :v: Why stop at two old FASA franchises/darlings?

You are not wrong, I can't wait to see the battletech trilogy first tho!

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The original Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter campaign was great because backing that at any tier got you Dragonfall for free, and then owning Dragonfall got you the improved Director's Cut for free. That's pretty drat good for $15.

The only Battletech thing I've spent any real amount of time with is MechWarrior 2 which is obviously completely different from this, but at this point I'm ready to buy pretty much anything Harebrained decides to do.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Error 404 posted:

The first is only 15 bux, That's far enough below my shits and giggles threshold that even if it sucked out loud I'd be ok with it.

It's not bad, just very standard and the sequels improved it so much.

Dragonfall is also 15 bucks and is a lot better.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Sharkopath posted:

It's not bad, just very standard and the sequels improved it so much.

Dragonfall is also 15 bucks and is a lot better.

Definintely getting all of them, just don't see any reason not to be completionist about it.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

They go on sale pretty regularly and you can pick them up pretty cheap if you look around a bit.

I'm keen for this. Likely need to just put it out of mind for 18-24 months while they are working on it. I have faith in this dev team.

If they can produce anything like the old Westwood classic Battletech: the Crescent Hawks Inception I'd be very happy just to play a remake of that...

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

BadAstronaut posted:

They go on sale pretty regularly and you can pick them up pretty cheap if you look around a bit.

I'm keen for this. Likely need to just put it out of mind for 18-24 months while they are working on it. I have faith in this dev team.

If they can produce anything like the old Westwood classic Battletech: the Crescent Hawks Inception I'd be very happy just to play a remake of that...

IIRC they made a few callbacks to it so far, but I wouldn't expect anything in common except some easter eggs.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Stretchgoals for dropship customisation and Legendary Mechs / recruitable Legendary Mechwarriors released.

I hope to god that they add Paingod / Rooster / Claymore / Steel and such in. That'd be awesome.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

They should add all the previous merc captains to the legendary list. I want spectre.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i cant wait for this to spectacularly fail

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Why would it? PGI ain't running this show.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Yeah this company has a proven track record of blowing forecasts out of the water and then delivering product on time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Eonwe posted:

For a normally chill poster that is a mean and unnecessary thing to say!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Internet Explorer posted:

For a normally chill poster that is a mean and unnecessary thing to say!

:eyepop:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is there a good online primer for Battletech lore/history? I've played most of the games but have never delved into the p&p stuff or the novels, and I would like to read more. I know I could just go to the wiki but I'm hoping it exists in a more concise form somewhere.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
"everything is bad, future edition"

arguably PoptartNinja's long-running Battletech LP thread is a good choice here at SA because even though he's running an alt-universe campaign a lot of people (PTN included) know how to condense reams of bullshit BT lore into comprehensible sentences, so it's a good read on many levels.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Hakkesshu posted:

Is there a good online primer for Battletech lore/history? I've played most of the games but have never delved into the p&p stuff or the novels, and I would like to read more. I know I could just go to the wiki but I'm hoping it exists in a more concise form somewhere.

Oh man. A third of the battletech experience is all about losing yourself in the bullshit lore, another third is all the bullshit mechs and memorizing stats and spending hours tuning a build, and then only the last third is actually playing the loving game.

E: seriously, arguing with neckbeards about who would win in a fight Kurita or Davion, is part of the fun.

This poo poo's just lord of the rings for mil sci fi dorks.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Error 404 posted:

Oh man. A third of the battletech experience is all about losing yourself in the bullshit lore, another third is all the bullshit mechs and memorizing stats and spending hours tuning a build, and then only the last third is actually playing the loving game.

E: seriously, arguing with neckbeards about who would win in a fight Kurita or Davion, is part of the fun.

This poo poo's just lord of the rings for mil sci fi dorks.

I'd argue it's actually in quarters: lore, bullshit mechs/stats out the rear end, playing the game, and finally the "No-poo poo-there-I-was" stories and tall tales with fellow Grognards. :zaeed::hellyeah::sicknasty:

• Locked thread