Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mr. Apollo posted:

tesla' look ok from the outside but the interior is really cheap for a s-class/7 series/a8 competitor. sure it'll go really fast 0-60 in a straight line but that's its big trick

they are actually ugly from the outside, too. greatly overpriced for what they are, like paying a $30k premium for the drivetrain.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
i thought the whole deal w/ tesla was to get first to market so he could create a monopoly on car batteries because ~the future~

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

The Management posted:

they are actually ugly from the outside, too. greatly overpriced for what they are, like paying a $30k premium for the drivetrain.

it's almost like spending more than 10k on a car is an incredibly bad decision

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it's almost like spending more than 10k on a car is an incredibly bad decision

poor spotted

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

wow, rude

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

clearly he just meant upfront cash on a lease

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

he wants to nuke the martian poles to cause a greenhouse effect that will warm the planet.

this is of course ignoring the lack of a magnetic field and subsequent destruction of the generated atmosphere due to solar winds.

pretty sure that musk isn't going to be able to restart that whole dynamo thingy.

I'm sure the tens to hundreds of millions of years it would take for the sun to strip the atmosphere are a real problem.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
the insufficient surface gravity to even hold onto that atmosphere in the first place would be a bigger problem

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Smythe posted:

wats the good poverty tesla? volt? leaf?
fiat 500e

it handles pretty well as it's a 500 while being as fun and faster off the line in the city as the abarth, but in complete silence

the only downside is that the 600lb battery is kinda heavy and you can kinda feel the weight when you turn, but it also means the center of gravity is basically on the floor and you can throw it around the corner pretty easily

also it uses energy around 30~50% more efficiently (or 30~50% more eMPG) than a tesla, and it has similar liquid cooled battery back as the tesla unlike some other EV such as nissan that uses air cooling for battery

coke
Jul 12, 2009
oh yeah it also looks almost exactly like a regular 500 besides some really subtle differences if you want to keep it on the DL without screaming to everyone that you are driving an electric car

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

on the other hand its an italian designed car built by chrysler

coke
Jul 12, 2009
the power system/motor is made by bosch which is a german company but i guess that doesn't mean much now does it :haw:

besides that, there's nothing need to be done to the car since it doesn't have stuff like water pump or belts, the maintenance schedule literally just says 'rotate tires/inspect a bunch of stuff while change cabin air filter' for most intervals then "maintaining the battery cooling system at 150,000 miles/10 years"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol if you think a fiat will last 10 years or 150k miles

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fix it again tony!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
prolly gonna get one of those little priuses next but i saw a 2016 fit at the park the other day and it looked cool. it was the murdered out version tho

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my scion xa was like 11 grand new, has lasted 10 years, and has cost me like nothing in parts and maint or w/e over its life. blessed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

prolly gonna get one of those little priuses next but i saw a 2016 fit at the park the other day and it looked cool. it was the murdered out version tho

i have a fit. i love it. boto space surprisingly huge

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

echinopsis posted:

fix it again tony!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

fiats look nice but i would never drive one in this state with how bad the drivers are. right now if i was shopping a new car i'd probably look for something with as close to 40mpg highway as i could get

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Mr. Apollo posted:

tesla' look ok from the outside but the interior is really cheap for a s-class/7 series/a8 competitor. sure it'll go really fast 0-60 in a straight line but that's its big trick

well it's a great trick. only electric car I ever driven was a rental mitsubishi i-miev, and despite the lovely 60 hp motor and electronically limited acceleration, it burned absolutely everyone at stoplights. not only it's fun but you don't have to play chicken to switch lanes or turn

go electric go

triple sulk posted:

fiats look nice

as an italian I ugh

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

echinopsis posted:

i have a fit. i love it. boto space surprisingly huge
fix it, takeshi!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

triple sulk posted:

fiats look nice but i would never drive one in this state with how bad the drivers are.

its practically a death sentence

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

like I can't imagine driving one of those smart cars. "oh but they're designed to bounce not crumple" cool so instead of just being crushed immediately I can be beaten to death inside my own car

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Face Joe posted:

like I can't imagine driving one of those smart cars. "oh but they're designed to bounce not crumple" cool so instead of just being crushed immediately I can be beaten to death inside my own car

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

this would never happen with an electric

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAw82vNRQ9M

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger
the model s is fun to drive but is just too big and doesn't feel as nice as anything you'd realistically cross shop it with. I can get an A3 e-tron for half the price, it's easier to park in the city, and if I go on a trip I don't have to stop 45 minutes at a supercharger every three hours

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a Honda fit and it's very cheap to run and so easy to park and the boot space is incredible considering

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I have a Honda fit and it's very cheap to run and so easy to park and the boot space is incredible considering

hatchback supremacy

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
had a thing offsite yesterday and i was able to put like 30 fancy folding chairs in my hatchback. epic

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

hatchback supremacy

with the seats down i can basically sleep in it. whats amazing is how flat it goes down too

my honda odysee which is way huger has not that much more room at all

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
e: regrettable post

AtomD fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 5, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

with the seats down i can basically sleep in it. whats amazing is how flat it goes down too
wasn't that an intentional design feature? fits are nice little cars. Honda did a bang up job with them. shame they botched the usdm civics so bad.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i had no idea, i literally purchased the best milage car for 6 grand and it was a fit. turns out the boot is fuckin awesome. i love the car except the headunit is some japanese double DIN thing that refuses to do anything at all

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

headunit? boot?

are you sure you purchased an automobile

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

i thought tesla was going to announce a cheap car that even serfs could afford. but instead they announced a bigass SUV?? this thing is going to cost at least 75K.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ator posted:

headunit? boot?

are you sure you purchased an automobile

yeah the headunit is the car stereo bit at the front and the boot is the bit stuff goes in at the back. you call it "trunk" but last i checked cars arent elephants

you also call the bonnet "the hood" or soemthing fuked up

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

'bonnet' is too girly for americans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

teslas also have frunks as in "girl you got lots of junk in your frunk"

• Locked thread