Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I'm a bit older than most people here I guess. I was 24, living in the UK at the time, and had been sent by the company I worked for to work a tradeshow in Boston about a week before 9/11, then went to visit my girlfriend in Michigan for a few weeks. So, first I heard about it was her sister phoning us at like 7am and the both of us driving to her mother's house and watching it on TV and wondering what the hell was going on. I do remember seeing repeated clips of a bunch of people in Palestine celebrating it and shouting death to America etc. I think it was like a dozen people but it kind of looked like it had been framed to suggest there were more.

I'd been sitting there about half an hour when it occurred to me I should probably phone my parents back in the UK. Turned out my dad wasn't quite sure when that tradeshow was and when I was leaving it - and the planes that were hijacked flew out of Boston. It's 5 hours later in the UK than it is in the eastern US, so mum and dad had spent the whole day wondering if I'd been one of the poor sods on one of those planes. That phonecall is the one and only time I've ever heard my dad cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

freebooter posted:

Yeah, everybody always tends to see their childhood as an idyll of peace and certainty. But there is something to be said for the 90s - pre 9/11, but post Cold War.

Yeah, this. I mean terrorism is bad sure but those of us growing up in the early 80s were pretty sure the entire planet was going to be turned into radioactive slag and us along with it.

• Locked thread