Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
MODEDIT: So here's a couple new rules going ahead.
  1. Keep cross-franchise chat in the Gundam general thread.
  2. Keep toy chat in the gunpla thread.
  3. Don't freak out about the show introducing problematic elements before you even know what the deal is.
Happy posting.

The sustenance of life, is on the battlefield.

The fourteenth series in Sunrise's long-running mecha franchise, Iron Blooded Orphans (also known as G-Tekketsu) is the first "standard" Gundam show since AGE in 2011. In the interim time we saw the series embrace its nature as a giant toy commercial in Build Fighters, reach back to its roots in Reconguista in G, and go full stupid in Build Fighters Try. So it'll actually be kind of interesting to see where it decides to go now that it's back in relatively more familiar waters!

Iron Blooded Orphans is set in the Post Disaster era, and PD 323 at that. More than 300 years ago the Earth and Mars fought in the Calamity War, and relics from that time period are still being unearthed today. Comparisons to X have already been made, and from the looks of it this show isn't going to be going for a post-apocalyptic feel either. It takes place on the now terraformed Mars, which is apparently under the thumb of the Earth government. An independence movement sprung up, and hired to protect one of the more important revolutionary figures are our protagonists:

Chryse Guard Security, which is made up of kids and teens. Front and center there is Mikazuki Augus, the main character and eventual pilot of the Gundam Barbatos (one of 72 powerful machines built on a universal "Gundam" frame from the time of the Calamity War. Also currently a power plant). Also notable are the white-haired guy behind him (Orga Itsuka, a man covered in death flags) and the big-boned fellow to the right, Biscuit Griffon. Yes, really.

From what's been released so far, we know that early on the group is attacked by Gjallarhorn, an Earth military organization intent on stopping the Martian revolution. The adults bail and leave Chryse Guard Security as decoys, angering Orga enough to also rebel. Mikazuki must choose to either follow his leader or stick to his original mission.

Who's making this?
It's being written by Mari Okada and directed by Tatsuyuki Nagai, who have previously worked together on shows like Ano Hana and Toradora. As far as mecha experience goes they... don't really have that great of a portfolio (Mari did Aquarion EVOL, Tatsuyuki worked on Xenoglossia), but hey, gotta start from somewhere.

Masaru Yokoyama is on music, and from the looks of things this is his first major work. Man With A Mission is doing the first OP, and Misia the first ED.

Why should I watch this?
Let's be real: you're watching it because it's Gundam.

From the looks of the trailers so far this is going to be a surprisingly nitty-gritty Gundam show. Nobody's fired a single beam, and the main Gundam starts with a giant polearm and a sword. Thanks to the universal frame thing, the Barbatos is supposed to steadily upgrade throughout the show by claiming parts from other machines. And I think I heard somewhere that this show is going to take place over a long period of time and see its cast actually mature? Can't find a source on that off-hand though, so who knows.

When does it start?
October 4th, so next Sunday. AnimeLab confirmed they'll be simulcasting this, so no need to break out :filez: like with Reconguista.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

BlitzBlast posted:

As far as mecha experience goes they... don't really have that great of a portfolio (Mari did Aquarion EVOL, Tatsuyuki worked on Xenoglossia), but hey, gotta start from somewhere.

Xenoglossia is good

e: hopefully this will be good too

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 30, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mari Okada also write M3, a mecha show that had so little exposure it's hard to believe it even exists

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've been rewatching Fujiko Mine in preparation for IBO and not only is it still good, but it also has the nice bonus of getting me in the mood for the new Lupin, too.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

the group picture makes the main dude look really tiny lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Srice posted:

Mari Okada also write M3, a mecha show that had so little exposure it's hard to believe it even exists

Oh she wrote that? I watched like two episodes but everything looked so dull I couldn't take it any more.
I'm suddenly more worried about how brown and grey everything looks in this.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like that you can't make a thread without a paragraph talking about the toys.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Toys are the only reason Gundam still exists.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm gonna wish on the Monkey's Paw for a world without Gunpla.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

(There is no more Gunpla because everybody is dead)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Sharkopath posted:

I'm gonna wish on the Monkey's Paw for a world without Gunpla.

what about acguys, hygoggs, and z'goks? would you really deprive us of them?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

As far as mecha experience goes they... don't really have that great of a portfolio

You say that like it's a bad thing.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

Why should I watch this?
Let's be real: you're watching it because it's Gundam.

It looks interesting enough that I'd be watching it even if it wasn't a Gundam series, but that's just me

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Linnaeus posted:

the group picture makes the main dude look really tiny lol

Between his height and the massively over-sized coat they're really emphasizing his youth

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Hi tomino-san

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

It looks interesting enough that I'd be watching it even if it wasn't a Gundam series, but that's just me

Same, plus I like the staff they selected too.

I think it's real bad to only watch a show for completionism's sake, and it leads to hella burnout and/or becoming bitter and jaded

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I can't wait for Mobile Suit Gundam : Flamenco Megaman

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Motto posted:

Hi tomino-san

It's a real bad OP and this sentence makes me laugh.

Iron Blooded Orphans is set in the Post Disaster era, and PD 323 at that.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

like that means anything to anybody, ever.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Sharkopath posted:

someone is updating the timeline of Gundams right now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

i think he's trying to say that it's unrelated to any past gundam series, but unfortunately he chose to do that in the fans-only jargon way.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Srice posted:

Same, plus I like the staff they selected too.

Yeah, some people in the Fall Season thread said they were gonna watch this, despite having no interest in Gundam before, because they liked Toradora or Anohana.

That's a whole new demographic being brought in by the staff that BlitzBlast so casually dismissed in the OP because none of the robot shows they've worked on produced model kits he liked.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think he was actually dismissing them in the op, just saying that they haven't really done mecha stuff before.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If anything you should emphasize the other shows they did work on, because even though they are sometimes dismissed as being empty drama gundam pulling more emotional depth into it would be a net benefit for the franchise.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 30, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

its also not actually a bad op but phrasing that sentence that way is really silly to me and it makes me laugh.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

I've been rewatching Fujiko Mine in preparation for IBO and not only is it still good, but it also has the nice bonus of getting me in the mood for the new Lupin, too.

I love Fujiko Mine so much and I hope that IBO makes Gundam feel as fresh as Fujiko Mine made Lupin.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Sharkopath posted:

I actually wasn't going to this time, but then I remembered that .gif existed.

Endorph posted:

i think he's trying to say that it's unrelated to any past gundam series, but unfortunately he chose to do that in the fans-only jargon way.

I was trying to say "this show takes place in a timeline called the Post Disaster Era. 323 Post Disaster, to be specific." If you guys got something offensive to new viewers out of it, sorry.

EDIT: Eeeeh it's not worth being snippy about this.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 30, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I can't wait till Biscuit Griffon boldly sacrifices himself to defeat the enemy.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

I love Fujiko Mine so much and I hope that IBO makes Gundam feel as fresh as Fujiko Mine made Lupin.

I am not gonna have expectations so high that I will expect that, but it would be real cool if it is even half as refreshing and bold as Fujiko Mine was for Lupin

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The barbatos is rad and I really like how un-gundam it looks.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Biscuit should live forever

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I can't wait till Biscuit Griffon boldly sacrifices himself to defeat the enemy.

I don't know why people expect Biscuit to die. Gundam doesn't have a history of killing fat guys.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

I actually wasn't going to this time, but then I remembered that .gif existed.

I was trying to say "this show takes place in a timeline called the Post Disaster Era. 323 Post Disaster, to be specific." If you guys got something offensive to new viewers out of it, sorry.

EDIT: Eeeeh it's not worth being snippy about this.

Oh yah I don't hold nothing against ya, I'm just amused.

I'm actually excited to see how the characters interact with each other, this is a pretty big cast. I think I'll give it an episode and see where my apathy takes me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

boom boom boom posted:

I don't know why people expect Biscuit to die. Gundam doesn't have a history of killing fat guys.

The last fat guys that were major characters in Gundam were Ryu and Hayato, who were killed.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

The last fat guys that were major characters in Gundam were Ryu and Hayato, who were killed.

The captain from G-reco

Edit: I think there have been quite a few fat guys then the characters that came from the very first gundam show, now that I think about it.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 30, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The leader guy has incredibly fantastic and pointy hair.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Tae posted:

Hayato died in Gundam ZZ, two series after he was introduced. Dude made it pretty far. also,

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Toys are the only reason Gundam still exists.

Toys are the only reason why gundam exists

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Another cool character in this show: the big black dude that looks to be the pit crew chief or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

The leader guy has incredibly fantastic and pointy hair.

he's one of my favorites, along with the guy that looks really similar to Guts

i dunno why everybody thinks the pointy-haired guy will die, or why x/y/z characters will die and HERE'S my list of the bodycount etc. but that stuff bums me out

• Locked thread