Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I was going to watch the show but that dudes really bad post scared me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

I was going to watch the show but that dudes really bad post scared me off.

Don't worry about other people's posts so much imo.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

I liked that a lot!

Japan's going to hate it aren't they? And then there'll be a second season where Mika gets psychic powers and a crazy overpowered Gundam and will lament the lack of understanding between people while tonally weird music plays in the background and a third party will be introduced that is cartoonishly evil so that all the morally salvageable characters from Gjallahorn can team up with the good guys and :unsmigghh:

What the gently caress did I just read

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

What the gently caress did I just read

A bad post

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Droyer posted:

A bad post

Indeed.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

tsob posted:

I was really hoping to see Mikazuki and not-Guts take down the lead-Graze using just their mobile workers, some insane strategy and a lot of balls. I'm hoping not-Guts (whose name I can't recal off-hand) sticks around for a while too. It's nice having someone on par with our hero in the unit, both as a pilot and as someone with nearly as many injections as he had too - though I do wonder how multiple "whiskers" is supposed to help given that there's only one port in the units by the looks of things.

well, even though they took him down with the gundam, they did it through a sneak attack on the guy, so still some strategy employed. this also helps hide the gundam's strength from us. we have no idea if the gundam in this series is actually supposed to be powerful or if it's a mass produced scrap heap. they were using it as a generator for their base after all.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
i'm just saying sunrise has conditioned me to expect bad 2nd seasons

see build fighters try, for example

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The attitude that fans in Japan always hate everything good and us Western fans are the ones who truly know what anime is good, is hella dumb.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
For instance, lots of western fans hated G-Reco despite the show being great.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Condiv posted:

well, even though they took him down with the gundam, they did it through a sneak attack on the guy, so still some strategy employed. this also helps hide the gundam's strength from us. we have no idea if the gundam in this series is actually supposed to be powerful or if it's a mass produced scrap heap. they were using it as a generator for their base after all.

We know a bit from information released before the show started. If i remember correctly the gundam was used in the great war 300 years ago, so while it's not a mass-produced scrap heap it might be outdated.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Srice posted:

The attitude that fans in Japan always hate everything good and us Western fans are the ones who truly know what anime is good, is hella dumb.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

Wait so where is this streaming jn the US?

I don't know if it counts, but Gundam Info has the episode up.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lots of western fans don't know G-Reco exists.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, I really like the main character so far. He's very competent in sort of a scary way, which I guess is going to be part of his character arc.

The guy just doesn't feel anything when killing, which is entirely understandable given how he's been killing since he was a kid

It's not even that he's not phased by killing, he comes off as someone who has no personal motivation or desires and has completely booked out on life beyond how he can help Orga. Which is kind of hosed up and will be interesting provided that he starts to shed that attitude fairly quickly. The easiest path to which would be Orga being killed and forcing him to decide for himself for once. I certainly can't see Orga turning in to a villain or against the CGS kids in any way at least, even after one episode because he seems so level-headed and loyal to them, including, like Kamina, not taking the main unit for himself but letting a subordinate control it instead because he has faith in him. Though he at least has more reason than Kamina, given that Mikazuki is demonstrably a good pilot and has more whiskers than anyone to prove it.

Maybe he'll just be kidnapped or go on the missing list for a while instead though I guess? I'd certainly like to see him stick around for a while, but it's obvious that he needs to leave the scene at least temporarily to allow Mika to starting asserting himself.

I think the biggest problem I had with the episode was how cartoonishly evil some of the adults were. The Princess' dad appeared to agree to martyring his daughter and the CGS boss and almost all the adults treated the kids like poo poo and ran as soon as possible. I guess it's not helped by what my initial expectation for what the show's starting point would be, that the CGS group would be a pack of already independent child-soldiers operating on their own in a "Water Margin" like manner. I knew the "Water Margin" element wasn't going to really be there with a while, but I never expected the adults and seeing how over the top they were was just distracting from the otherwise fun world-building and character introductions.

I guess without it there wouldn't have been that cool moment where Biscuit got to gently caress the fleeing soldiers over thanks to some pre-planning, but it doesn't really feel worth it all the same.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

G-Reco's pacing is massively hosed and it's missing 5-10 episodes' worth for the pacing to work. It's okay despite that but would have been way better with a third cours.

Anyway, holy poo poo, IBO does not pull its punches and it's great so far. :stare: I'm really glad this looks like it'll be good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i really liked the first episode, even if there was a bit of cast list bloat. immediately showing the princess that her good intentions were only worth so much, and that she isn't in touch nor a savior was really good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I liked that a lot actually. My biggest disappointment is that i was hoping for more women in the cast; that might have been a mistaken expectation brought on by the productions team's past works and by the fact that the only other Gundam show i've watched is Turn A.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
Yeah the only thing I didn't like about the episode was introducing so many characters at once. Otherwise it was pretty great and I'm digging the gritty, 8th MS team feel.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

I liked that a lot actually. My biggest disappointment is that i was hoping for more women in the cast; that might have been a mistaken expectation brought on by the productions team's past works and by the fact that the only other Gundam show i've watched is Turn A.

Yeah that would've been cool. They might introduce more later though.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

The gender ratio is basically the same as a cute boys sports anime and I think that's entirely intentional.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Yeah this episode is great, and my favorite thing is that the Grazes weren't there until the end when the Gjallarhorn dudes had to intervene.

I want this show to get a good, full run.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3qT3Nqc_6g

Found the OP on YouTube, for those interested. The song is really growing on me.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Took me a little while to get into it but by the end I was pretty well invested.

The Devil Tesla posted:

The gender ratio is basically the same as a cute boys sports anime and I think that's entirely intentional.

I haven't watched a Gundam show since Gundam Wing so it seems to be working :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

I liked that a lot!

Japan's going to hate it aren't they? And then there'll be a second season where Mika gets psychic powers and a crazy overpowered Gundam and will lament the lack of understanding between people while tonally weird music plays in the background and a third party will be introduced that is cartoonishly evil so that all the morally salvageable characters from Gjallahorn can team up with the good guys and :unsmigghh:
you have a brain filled with fail

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a kitten posted:

Turn A is the only gundam that has a varied and important female cast.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I knew Olris was bad news when my PC crashed as soon as they said his name.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

Say what you will about the show's quality, but G-Reco had many female characters. Aida was basically co-lead with Bellri.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Japan's going to hate it aren't they?
I dunno, are you Japan?

If you're not, I'd suggest not speaking for them.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

Turn-A is also the best full-format Gundam show by such a long lead it's not even funny, coincidentally.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I like how dirty everything looks. I wonder if Mars is just a really filthy place or if water is too scarce for cleaning, because there's also an emphasis on the smell of things.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

I liked that a lot!

Why don't the japs make a gundam show for ME

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

it would be k-on, but with robots

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Parallax posted:

I like how dirty everything looks. I wonder if Mars is just a really filthy place or if water is too scarce for cleaning, because there's also an emphasis on the smell of things.

Mars is dusty as gently caress and from the look of the outdoor shots terraformation hasn't magically fixed this, so it's at least accurate in that respect. :v:

Namtab posted:

it would be k-on, but with robots

100% okay with this, though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Anyway, I liked the first episode. All of the main characters seem likable, the exposition dumps at least attempted to be regular dialogue, and there were some good action pieces. Also a lot of stuff that looks like it'll come back later ("What do I do now?", the handshake, etc), so I'm interested in seeing where this all goes.

Daisuki's subs were pretty eh though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Now this is just mostly from an aesthetics look, but the colors and dread felt very Attack on Titans for me. A lot of that dirt brown mixed with army decal. At least until the Princess comes in who brings a totally different genre with how bright and clean she looks.

Wait, what happened to her maid?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

her maid is really cool, i hope she also gets something to do. or she could secretly be a ninja like Code Geass

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

or she could secretly be a ninja like Code Geass

I feel like this would be a tonal clash with everything else we've seen so far.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Droyer posted:

I feel like this would be a tonal clash with everything else we've seen so far.

Yeah. To keep it consistent, she should be a cyborg ninja maid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Anyway, I liked the first episode. All of the main characters seem likable, the exposition dumps at least attempted to be regular dialogue, and there were some good action pieces. Also a lot of stuff that looks like it'll come back later ("What do I do now?", the handshake, etc), so I'm interested in seeing where this all goes.

Daisuki's subs were pretty eh though.

Daiuki's subs worked for me just because they actually attempted to localize. Not an honorific to be seen, which is something to be praised.

I thought the first episode was pretty great, and I really liked those little character building scenes too. If the show maintains this level of quality, I don't think I could complain one bit.

• Locked thread