Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't understand people's weird hate-boners for honorifics considering that they convey important contextual information and don't have any direct equivalents in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Droyer posted:

I feel like this would be a tonal clash with everything else we've seen so far.

Yeah, not ninja, a UFC fighter

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tae posted:

Now this is just mostly from an aesthetics look, but the colors and dread felt very Attack on Titans for me. A lot of that dirt brown mixed with army decal. At least until the Princess comes in who brings a totally different genre with how bright and clean she looks.

Wait, what happened to her maid?

I feel like this is one of the best visuals for the whole show. You have a gritty, run down look to everything, and then you have the princess and the enemy mobile suit pilots who are practically radiating color. Assassination Classroom did something similar with Bitch-Sensei in the anime and it really drives home the whole 'these people are so much better than you.' vibe.

At the same time this feels like the most military gundam show that has been out in ages (if not ever). Soldiers bitching about burying landmines, people getting sniped, security teams actually doing their job and noticing when they're getting murdered etc. Nothing says underfunded merc group like bitching about the fact that the enemy actually has enough rounds to shoot at you with.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I don't understand people's weird hate-boners for honorifics considering that they convey important contextual information and don't have any direct equivalents in English.

If you've watched enough anime to know the difference between kun, san, and sama, then you've watched enough anime to be able to hear those in the dialogue. And if you can't hear them, then you probably haven't watched enough anime to know the difference.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Droyer posted:

She might be a bodyguard though. I'd want The Help on mars to be packing.

tsob posted:

I think the biggest problem I had with the episode was how cartoonishly evil some of the adults were. The Princess' dad appeared to agree to martyring his daughter and the CGS boss and almost all the adults treated the kids like poo poo and ran as soon as possible. I guess it's not helped by what my initial expectation for what the show's starting point would be, that the CGS group would be a pack of already independent child-soldiers operating on their own in a "Water Margin" like manner. I knew the "Water Margin" element wasn't going to really be there with a while, but I never expected the adults and seeing how over the top they were was just distracting from the otherwise fun world-building and character introductions.

Colonialist, exploitative governments tend to self-select lovely people for authority roles, for what it's worth. It's hard to tell exactly what princess' dad's goal is with selling out his daughter, and that is kind of crazy lovely of him, but nobody else on this show came off as like, outlandishly lovely considering the circumstances and the general tone.

How many episodes is this show, anyway?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You can hear the characters saying them and you can gather the interpersonal relationships through context and characterisation rather than having a word in your subs

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That's not true at all, though. Honorifics are not that different from saying Sir or Mister or Dude.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Namtab posted:

You can hear the characters saying them

I don't pay much attention to actual dialogue most of the time because I don't understand Japanese and am reading subtitles.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Actually, I demand that any subs for something in a Romance language keep the nouns genders intact.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's not true at all, though. Honorifics are not that different from saying Sir or Mister or Dude.

That's not really true though. For example, it's perfectly normal to call your classmate lastname-san in Japan, but it would be really weird to call your classmate mr/ms lastname in america/england.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

For what it's worth professional translations of Japanese novels rarely keep them intact, though regardless of that we're in a setting that's clearly not Japan and English writing is everywhere, so

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

Japan's going to hate it aren't they? And then there'll be a second season where Mika gets psychic powers and a crazy overpowered Gundam and will lament the lack of understanding between people while tonally weird music plays in the background and a third party will be introduced that is cartoonishly evil so that all the morally salvageable characters from Gjallahorn can team up with the good guys and :unsmigghh:

Considering that this episode introduced the possibility (it's a bit unclear) that at least one character has psychic powers and Mika already is a superb pilot because he has more modifications than anyone else I think it's a bit early to start claiming that those things will be forced in instead of being already present.

Likewise this episode features multiple cartoonishly evil people who basically cackle while they talk about how evil they are so there's not an unreasonable chance that will also be present.

I mean I enjoyed the first episode but c'mon.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A good localization can vary up the writing to get the meaning across. The problem is that good localization cost a lot of money and keeping honorifics is a much quicker, easier, and cheaper method, which is what most translations are.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I liked that the scene where they were burying landmines in the beginning ended up paling a role at the end. Like, they could've been doing any sort of unpleasant work at the beginning, but they went the extra level and not only established the character's lovely deal, but also set something up for later on.

Somebody's thinking about this show while they're making it,

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I was talking about the grammar and proofreading on the subs, not honorifics.

Please don't get into an honorifics argument.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't really care either way but there's very little information contained in honourifics that you can't get across in other ways if the translation is competent. The hardest part is probably when changing them is used to signify a change in relationship, especially the switch from family to given name since a lot of translations use given name for friends anyway.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

good luck

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

good luck

Good luck, senpai :jp101:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Considering that this episode introduced the possibility (it's a bit unclear) that at least one character has psychic powers and Mika already is a superb pilot because he has more modifications than anyone else I think it's a bit early to start claiming that those things will be forced in instead of being already present.

Likewise this episode features multiple cartoonishly evil people who basically cackle while they talk about how evil they are so there's not an unreasonable chance that will also be present.

I mean I enjoyed the first episode but c'mon.

Yeah, honestly, the second they brought up the whiskers stuff, the thought immediately popped into my head about this being the show's Newtype analogue.

Not sure what was up with Biscuit though, I'm interested in seeing where that goes.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I was talking about the grammar and proofreading on the subs, not honorifics.

haha try and stop me

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

I liked that the scene where they were burying landmines in the beginning ended up paling a role at the end. Like, they could've been doing any sort of unpleasant work at the beginning, but they went the extra level and not only established the character's lovely deal, but also set something up for later on.

The show set up an absurd amount of stuff in just one episode, and it worked so well because there were dozens of little things like this.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Droyer posted:

She comes back, but she has really clunky-looking prosthetic limbs.

Like she has a gently-used cyborg arm or something.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Red Bones posted:

She might be a bodyguard though. I'd want The Help on mars to be packing.

Colonialist, exploitative governments tend to self-select lovely people for authority roles, for what it's worth. It's hard to tell exactly what princess' dad's goal is with selling out his daughter, and that is kind of crazy lovely of him, but nobody else on this show came off as like, outlandishly lovely considering the circumstances and the general tone.

How many episodes is this show, anyway?

They spell it out in this episode. Her father is a noble with strong (presumably financial) ties with Earth, and his daughter is not only operating against her family's interests, but worse, doing it with popular support. Now the scariest dudes in the solar system have made it clear they have a problem with that. It's no surprise he'd fold, especially since it's made clear in a previous scene that he and Kudelia have a very poor relationship (she gets pissed at her mother when she suggests her father cares for her).

Certainly hoping she ends up being more Relena and less Marina, and it'd also be nice if Mikazuki's girlfriend manages to do a bit more than sit on the sidelines and worriedly say his name (which is the usual job description for her character archetype in Gundam). As for the adults' evilness, we've so far seen the space-SS and a scummy backwater mercenary company who hire child soldiers. It'd be surprising if either were particularly decent and noble when the chips were down.

One thing I really liked was the Grazes' weaponry. Their guns aren't the standard grunt machine-guns, but big fuckoff artillery pieces. It really helps them feel like war machines rather than just oversized soldiers.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The barriers that acted as the workers' shields was my favorite part of the battle.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

Somebody's thinking about this show while they're making it,

Tae posted:

The barriers that acted as the workers' shields was my favorite part of the battle.

This show has lots of neat details like that. Hoping that having to be resourceful because of scarce resources on Mars plays a big role in how they make the big robots fight outside of Mars.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The episode's up on Gundaminfo, but then it says it's not available in my country. My country being the US. Is anyone else having this problem?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Level Slide posted:

The episode's up on Gundaminfo, but then it says it's not available in my country. My country being the US. Is anyone else having this problem?

Watch it on Daisuki.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Level Slide posted:

Gundaminfo did the same thing with G-Reco, they won't let you watch it there if someone else has it. Watch on Daisuki or Hulu.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Level Slide posted:

There is a link in the uploader's comments.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah, you aren't going to be watching it on youtube without a VPN running.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Droyer posted:

would a spy lady who does cqc be okay? because that's basically what i meant

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
As someone who's hasn't really watched Gundam besides some of Turn-A and Build Fighters, I thought the first episode was pretty good! I like what I heard of the soundtrack.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nondevor posted:

As someone who's hasn't really watched Gundam besides some of Turn-A and Build Fighters, I thought the first episode was pretty good! I like what I heard of the soundtrack.

You should finish Turn A if you feel like it, it's good.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Yeah, that was a nice first episode. I like how a .22 was enough to knock flashback Mika right on his rear end. He's had so much gains since then.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

That was a really good first episode!

I really like the designs in general, but especially the Mobile Workers. Orga zooming around while sitting outside the cockpit was cool as hell!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I said it in the season thread, but I'm pretty sure I can't think of another Gundam show with a stronger first episode. Turn-A probably comes closest, albeit in a very different genre.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Come to think of it, was any previous Gundam show this heavy on the manservice? The first episode really went all-in.

... maaaybe 00?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I said it in the season thread, but I'm pretty sure I can't think of another Gundam show with a stronger first episode. Turn-A probably comes closest, albeit in a very different genre.

I enjoyed OO's a lot and thought it had a really great first episode, along with Turn-A too. G and 0079 have pretty great first episodes too in my opinion.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Darth Walrus posted:

Come to think of it, was any previous Gundam show this heavy on the manservice? The first episode really went all-in.

... maaaybe 00?

Wing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Saw the first episode, and it was a good start. I'm liking Biscuit right off the bat, the rest of the cast are okay for now.

My only minor gripe is with Daisuki forcing me to turn off Adblock in order to get its video player to work. I hate when that happens.

• Locked thread