Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I dunno, for all its reputation, it honestly felt pretty tame. Heero liked his sleeveless shirts, and there was that one time with Treize and the rose-petal bath, but that was about it. Certainly not a bunch of cute teenagers having sweaty pull-up contests and then being plot-mandated to always go into battle shirtless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
This was a pretty good first episode! I really liked the mechanical designs, the set designs, the world-building, and the characters. The narrative was a little exposition-heavy, but things picked up about halfway through. I really love watching shows where characters surprise me by doing smart and logical things, and the signal flares attached to the retreating First Company definitely got that reaction out of me. I feel pretty good about this show.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno, for all its reputation, it honestly felt pretty tame. Heero liked his sleeveless shirts, and there was that one time with Treize and the rose-petal bath, but that was about it. Certainly not a bunch of cute teenagers having sweaty pull-up contests and then being plot-mandated to always go into battle shirtless.

Also none of the Wing boys had nearly as much lovingly detailed muscle definition as basically every mobile worker pilot we've seen.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Come to think of it, was any previous Gundam show this heavy on the manservice? The first episode really went all-in.

... maaaybe 00?

as far as being filled with men to ogle at, Wing and 00 seem like the most obvious examples. G-Reco had a straight up naked man in a few scenes though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I said it in the season thread, but I'm pretty sure I can't think of another Gundam show with a stronger first episode. Turn-A probably comes closest, albeit in a very different genre.

Turn-A still has the ebst last scene of a first episode, with Loran asking everyone to come back because Earth is a nice place.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Turn-A still has the ebst last scene of a first episode, with Loran asking everyone to come back because Earth is a nice place.

That's a pretty good scene. I feel like it might have had even more impact if we hadn't already known that Loran was from space/the moon.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Under pressure, waiting for erection. I like the off focus buff dudes at the protest too

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I have never been a big gundam fan but this first episode was so good I actually can't wait for the next one.

I like how it didn't overload me with sci-fi and political mumbo jumbo, actually had characters I could like/relate too, and goddamn stakes.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 5, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm probably just being dumb, but I was a bit confused by the scenes with Coral. When he says "Then for her to be remembered eternally as a people's icon, we will help her" and "To receive the support of Nobliss, we need to have her do well", are those both references to having Kudelia offed? I dunno, it just felt a bit awkward to me.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Haven't watched it yet, is it simulcast on hulu? Or does it show up there a few days later?

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Pretty solid and until the end it was very un-Gundam, which is a plus.

It feels like Orga thinks he's meant for something bigger than his poo poo life but hates having to rely on Mika for it, while Mika just goes along with it because he has no hopes of anything better: no anger or resentment when he told Kudelia they weren't equals, it was a just so thing. But it also means that he's never second-guessing himself, which is why he owns at robot combat and shooting people dead for money.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Motto posted:

I'm probably just being dumb, but I was a bit confused by the scenes with Coral. When he says "Then for her to be remembered eternally as a people's icon, we will help her" and "To receive the support of Nobliss, we need to have her do well", are those both references to having Kudelia offed? I dunno, it just felt a bit awkward to me.

Presumably they would make her a martyr, but we don't quite know how everything connects together yet I think. I tend to be slow in picking up on the various factions admittedly.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Allarion posted:

Presumably they would make her a martyr, but we don't quite know how everything connects together yet I think. I tend to be slow in picking up on the various factions admittedly.

I understand the first line as referring to her martyrdom had she been killed, but "we need to have her to well" is an incredibly awkward way of referring to someone whom you're ordering three guys to blow up.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope the princess and the grocery girl join Mikazuki in his work out sessions.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Under pressure, waiting for erection. I like the off focus buff dudes at the protest too

In the future, FEMEN bought bikini tops.

Future feminists are right about colonial rule though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Haven't watched it yet, is it simulcast on hulu? Or does it show up there a few days later?

Simulcast.
edit: at least in the US. Daisuke in Canada and other place else according to http://because.moe/

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 5, 2015

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I am so excited to watch this tomorrow with my best friend.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Level Slide posted:

I hope the princess and the grocery girl join Mikazuki in his work out sessions.

I dont know about the grocery girl but the princess needs to start getting her hands dirty, pulling and squatting if she wants to be taken seriously by the dudes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont know about the grocery girl but the princess needs to start getting her hands dirty, pulling and squatting if she wants to be taken seriously by the dudes.

If that actually happens this will be the best gundam show.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Motto posted:

Think of it this way, if Gandhi had been killed around 1944 and turned into a martyr, do you think Indian independence would have gone as well as it did? It probably would have fractured into a lot of splinter groups and taken much longer and been much more violent, which would have benefited the British. I think the realpolitik the Mars branch Gjallerhorn is engaging in is very interesting. There's value in someone becoming an icon rather than somehow who's actually speaking with the Earth government directly for the powers that be. An icon's message can be controlled and directed, an active leader of a united grassroots independence movement is a bit of a bigger fish to fry. There's this cliche where you don't want to "turn someone into a martyr" that waves away certain murder based solutions for oppressive governments in fiction. A martyr isn't actually leading anyone anymore, they're just dead and people are left behind without someone to fill that role anymore.

TNG fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 5, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That was a pretty dull first episode without any semblance of intrigue or anything. Like I feel like I can't even rate it because it'd be like rating air

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

muike posted:

That was a pretty dull first episode without any semblance of intrigue or anything. Like I feel like I can't even rate it because it'd be like rating air

I think you can rate air based on how it smells, so how did the episode smell.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It smelled like the dick cheese these nasty rear end childs get on their back dicks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

muike posted:

It smelled like the dick cheese these nasty rear end childs get on their back dicks

I don't think that smell is coming from the show, dude.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
those back things are gross.

and orga's going to become a villain

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Villain or corpse. Taking all bets!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

those back things are gross.

You spelled cool wrong

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I thought living in mars had made people turn into lizards or something when I first saw them.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The set up makes me feel like this is a western science fiction novel poured through a Japanese filter

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I thought living in mars had made people turn into lizards or something when I first saw them.

Uh clearly AGE showed us that Mars Rays give you space cancer. Gosh guys, pay attention.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 5, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TNG posted:

Think of it this way, if Gandhi had been killed around 1944 and turned into a martyr, do you think Indian independence would have gone as well as it did? It probably would have fractured into a lot of splinter groups and taken much longer and been much more violent, which would have benefited the British. I think the realpolitik the Mars branch Gjallerhorn is engaging in is very interesting. There's value in someone becoming an icon rather than somehow who's actually speaking with the Earth government directly for the powers that be. An icon's message can be controlled and directed, an active leader of a united grassroots independence movement is a bit of a bigger fish to fry. There's this cliche where you don't want to "turn someone into a martyr" that waves away certain murder based solutions for oppressive governments in fiction. A martyr isn't actually leading anyone anymore, they're just dead and people are left behind without someone to fill that role anymore.

That's about what I thought, I just think "have her do well" was an awkward phrase to use in that situation. I'm mainly complaining about the subtitles rather than the actual show.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dulkor posted:

villain because corpse wrecks my ship, but would prefer neither.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Dulkor posted:

neither

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I think he's just being cute there, as in "do her best job(dying for our purposes)"

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Dulkor posted:

From the Opening we know that he is at least around long enough to captain the space ship they end up getting.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really liked the episode. Good introduction to the characters, interesting setting. Hopefully it can keep it up.

Kanos posted:

Also none of the Wing boys had nearly as much lovingly detailed muscle definition as basically every mobile worker pilot we've seen.

My interests include bodybuilding, cosplay and gundam. It's nice that I have a show that gives me the possiblity of combining the three :v:.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

muike posted:

The set up makes me feel like this is a western science fiction novel poured through a Japanese filter

More like they totally ripped off the story from Zone of the Enders.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Sakurazuka posted:

if this was zoe i wouldn't be waiting for erection :colbert:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Sakurazuka posted:

Which ripped off its story from Gundam 79. So we come full circle.

Will G-Tekketsu break the looming CURSE OF MARS! that afflicts Gundam? Time will tell.

Also I've seen exactly one episode and I want very badly for this and G-Reco to end up in Super Robot Wars together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Yes, I would like to see the Third Corps partake in running the full length of the Crescent Moon ship and looking absolutely unfazed while the Megafauna crew are seconds away from dying of exhaustion.

• Locked thread