Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
1 single furnished room available.

We are looking for a friendly, open-minded and outgoing person to join our houseshare in a great period house in Clapham. We’re a good bunch and like to chill out a lot together – not really looking for somebody that just wants to stay in their room. Room comes with a bed. Bills to be shared – approx. £60 per month each.

Easy access to local tube stations.

Furnishing: Furnished

http://www.london2let.com/rooms/to-rent/clapham-SW11/L2L13385-101/

https://twitter.com/alex_lomax/status/649146213242175488/photo/1

:thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I bet a crazy girl who loves harry potter will move in

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
Better than my current poo poo hole.

http://i.imgur.com/DddNlVX.jpg

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
"We're still going to use it as closet, FYI."

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax
this is kind of funny, mostly a bummer, but you just copied a bunch of stuff other people said

real_slime fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 30, 2015

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

real_slime posted:

this is funny but you just copied a bunch of stuff other people said

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
depressing as i'll be looking for a place in london soon, and even if this turns out to be a joke, it isn't too far off from the poo poo out there. :smith:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I know people paying €400 a month for this near my campus.

My office is bigger than my sister's single-bed flat in Dublin, which is moldy as hell, a fire trap and €900 pm to boot. My mother constantly complains that she smells of poverty.

London's even worse than Dublin. Selling garages as studios and people buy them. gently caress. I've heard people just squatted in free houses in London in the 80s. Any old britgoons remember that?

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Seems from the text you are talking about England yet the pictures cry San Fransisco.

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
this amazing advancement brings you all the creature comforts of living in that one hongkong walled dread city with half the travel time! thanks The British!

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

School Nickname posted:

My office is bigger than my sister's single-bed flat in Dublin, which is moldy as hell, a fire trap and €900 pm to boot. My mother constantly complains that she smells of poverty.

London's even worse than Dublin. Selling garages as studios and people buy them. gently caress. I've heard people just squatted in free houses in London in the 80s. Any old britgoons remember that?

London is beyond a joke now.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/sep/02/london-housing-crisis-480-a-month-for-a-bed-in-a-shed-in-the-lounge

tldr: dickhead tries to rent out a literal shed with a mattress in their loving living room for £480 per month.

basic one bed flats that i've been looking at come to around £2000 per month when all's said and done for somewhere near where i work.

gently caress i need a spliff or 10

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

rabble rabble posted:

this amazing advancement brings you all the creature comforts of living in that one hongkong walled dread city with half the travel time! thanks The British!
Kowloon Walled City

(Gone now, though)

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

this is insane!

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

jBrereton posted:

Kowloon Walled City

(Gone now, though)

owns.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Im Daz

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
This room looks nice

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
Is there even a mattress under that duvet

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
lol i like kowloon city, place is insane but it feels future-slums. also everything is shockingly clean and everybody is nice to everyone

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I like how they didn't even bother to move the Daz or the boxes of crap out of there, maybe put some pictures on the wall or something. For £500 a month some poor fucker will take it. London is loving ridiculous

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

The room looks okay but why would I want to live in En-ga-land?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

lol i like kowloon city, place is insane but it feels future-slums. also everything is shockingly clean and everybody is nice to everyone

i hope someone makes a sweet video game in kowloon walled city

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

School Nickname posted:

lol if you dont have the patience to live 30 minutes away from work/school so you can save a fortune in rent/bills

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

liked, felt, was, was

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i'm going to "let" out a big fart in there

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

lorn Wayne posted:

London is beyond a joke now.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/sep/02/london-housing-crisis-480-a-month-for-a-bed-in-a-shed-in-the-lounge

tldr: dickhead tries to rent out a literal shed with a mattress in their loving living room for £480 per month.

basic one bed flats that i've been looking at come to around £2000 per month when all's said and done for somewhere near where i work.

gently caress i need a spliff or 10

So it's a slightly less gay San Francisco, got it.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
why do people want roommates who'll be their new bffs? gently caress you, i want a place to sleep and keep my poo poo, i don't want to have to like you.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Horniest Manticore posted:

why do people want roommates who'll be their new bffs? gently caress you, i want a place to sleep and keep my poo poo, i don't want to have to like you.

:goonsay:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the secret to living with roommates is to not have roomates

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Horniest Manticore posted:

Because some people are so desperate for validation that they can't imagine sharing a living space with someone who doesn't worship the ground they walk on?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
60 quid a mo is cheap as gently caress though.

e: oh that's just the utilities... lol gently caress london

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

So every morning you would have to come out of the closet? No thanks!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hmmmm, I've already got a bedroll, but it's not this nice...

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

:goonsay:

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Naerasa posted:

So it's a slightly less gay San Francisco, got it.

pretty much, although london's gay power levels could quite easily challenge san francisco imo.

the area of shoreditch is our self-proclaimed 'silicon valley'. people unironically refer to it as the 'silicon roundabout' here, although most data assholes like me hate that.

for more about the london hipster tech/rent extortion scene, please buy my book "I'm Gay Please Kill Me Now"

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

hipster tech? like record players?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Matey posted:

hipster tech? like record players?

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013

School Nickname posted:

gently caress. I've heard people just squatted in free houses in London in the 80s. Any old britgoons remember that?

Try 2009. What you do is find a building owned by the city that's been sitting there boarded up in disrepair for some time, I forget what the legally required amount of time is, I think 1 year with no inhabitants. You break the lock (this is actually the only part of the process that is illegal) and put in a new lock as quickly as possible. Bam, you now have a home for up to a year or two if you're lucky, while the city goes through the grueling legal proceedings of getting you out if there.

The only caveat is that someone always has to be inside the building to answer if the cops show up. If you answer that means it's your place of residence and they have to gtfo if no warrant. If nobody answers they are free to break in.

Anyway, shortly after I moved out of the U.K. I remember reading the city cracked down on squatting and changed the laws or something. Lol cuz I bet now there's hundreds if not more buildings that are sitting empty for decades while bureaucrats shuffle paper.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

~a true artist~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I'm hoping they build another kowloon city, in every city.

• Locked thread