Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBvr289G3w8

LEGO Dimensions has been released! Developed by Traveller's Tales for Warner Brothers, Dimensions is a 'toys to life' game, akin to Disney Infinity or Skylanders. It's been released on every major console, so for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, and the WiiU. The starter pack contains the portal for the game, 3 minifigs of Batman, Gandalf and Wyldstyle, and a Batmobile.

Wait, Batman... and Gandalf?

I know, right? Part of Dimensions' appeal is the wide variety of licences that Lego has access to and that they can incorporate in the game. There are currently 14 franchises that have been announced, with more to come.

• DC Comics
  • The Lord of the Rings
  • The Lego Movie
  • Doctor Who
  • The Wizard of Oz
  • The Simpsons
  • Back to the Future
  • Portal 2
  • Ghostbusters
  • Midway Arcade
  • Scooby-Doo
  • Lego Chima
  • Lego Ninjago
  • Jurassic World

Look at it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_1Yu50qSyE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OKG0kyam14

Lego... Doctor Who? Ghostbusters? Portal?
I know! Lego has embraced the manchild geek market firmly by acquiring and using licences, creating levels for them in the game which are accessed by buying the appropriate character level packs. Wave 1 of the Level Packs are out now, and include Back to the Future, Portal and the Simpsons. Wave 2 will be Doctor Who in November, Wave 3 in January 2016 will have Ghostbusters and Wave 4 will have Midway arcade, and be out in March 2016.

Each level pack contains a minifig of a character, and 2 mini builds of appropriate vehicles and accessories, like these:

Then there are are Fun Packs containing a minifigure and a vehicle that will appear in the game, like so:

And finally we have Team Packs which are like double Fun Packs:

While the Fun/Team Packs don't allow you access to the specific level for that theme, they will allow you to enter an open adventure world for that theme which has quests you can do with any character.

OK, so far so good. I can hear my wallet emptying. But how does it play?

Well, if you've played any of the other Lego video games, you'll know what to expect. Solve puzzles, collect Lego studs, laugh at surprisingly funny jokes, all with a twist of flavour from whatever levels you're playing, and with what characters. The Portal levels have Portal style puzzles. The Doctor Who levels have you regenerate into the next Doctor if you die. The Ghostbusters levels have you, well, busting ghosts.

The mini vehicles/gadgets that come in the packs all have 3 modes which you build (instructions are annoyingly in game or on the website, not in the pack's box), which are then reflected in the game, helping you to solve puzzles.

There's also an overarching plot, which has you facing off against a villain, Lord Vortech, played by Gary Oldman(!) who is intent on merging all the universes into one (thus explaining the multiverse of franchises all crashing together ).

Speaking of Oldman, the voice cast for the rest of the characters is astounding, with many of the original actors playing their roles, including Michael J Fox as Marty McFly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avEGqe4Crbo

The Starter set and wave 1 of the packs are out in stores now, with Wave 2 coming in November, and more in January and March next year. Lego have announced they have planned releases for the next 3 years, so your wallet will be empty for some time to come yet! Everything will continue to be awesome!

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Oh hey! Thread!

Yeah, this game and the addon packs cost too much but my wife and I are having a great time with it. It IS dangrous though. Like amiibos and their kind once you buy a couple it's hard to resist adding a few more to your collection. And then a few more... etc.

I'm only through level 4 or 5 of the main story and have fooled around in a couple of the adventure worlds. When I put my Homer mini-fig on the pedestal it said the car would unlock after I'd played the Simpsons level. Which I thought I had. Is there another maybe? Or am I just hitting a bug?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Putting Homer on the portal should unlock the new level. It's gonna be a different level from the story mode one.

I love this game so far. Only bought the starter set so far and I'll wait for some sales before getting more. I love all the mash ups and especially that cameo in the Portal level.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Ah ok. I assumed it was the campaign level I needed to complete. I haven't tried the bonus level that came with the pack yet.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

One thing missing from the OP is that while the fun packs don't allow you access to the level(kind of a story) for that theme, it does allow you to enter an open adventure world for that theme which has quest and other things you can do with any character.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ltr posted:

One thing missing from the OP is that while the fun packs don't allow you access to the level(kind of a story) for that theme, it does allow you to enter an open adventure world for that theme which has quest and other things you can do with any character.

Ah, I didn't know that! My starter pack is still in the mail! Thanks, I've added that in.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 30, 2015

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I've spent way too much on this game already but I'm having a blast playing with my son. What's nice about the Wii U version is that one player's screen can be (and is by default) on the gamepad, which is way better than splitscreen. What sucks about the Wii U version is the low FPS which can get pretty terrible in some areas. Also the game has completely frozen a few times and there are some weird quirks and bugs that pop up somewhat frequently.

Flying vehicles and characters are very handy in general, especially in the open-world environments. IMO picking up at least one flyer is practically mandatory for travelling at a reasonable pace. Wonder Woman is god tier because she can fly and comes with her invisible jet for your buddy to ride in as well. Also she has a pretty good set of abilities: laser deflect, dive, illuminate, mind control etc.

If you are obsessive about getting all of the hidden unlocks and golden bricks and such you will have to buy a large chunk of the roster. You can't even 100% everything with the characters that are out at launch; you'd need Aquaman for Atlantis, Peter Venkman for Suspend Ghost, etc. That's how they get you but we all knew that this was going to be the case. It wouldn't be so bad if the packs weren't so goddamn expensive.

Oh, and the Portal 2 level owns. The Companion Cube and Sentry Turret are pretty useless and Chell's only good for the rare portal puzzles in certain other levels but the Portal 2 level and open-world are great. The writing and voice acting are on par with the actual Portal games. The "puzzles" are pretty linear and obvious but this is a children's game so it's understandable.

Homer's level is pretty good too, it's based on the chili vision quest episode with Coyote and such.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 30, 2015

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
I'm fortunately not too obsessive in these games about getting every gold brick. However I am interested in seeing all the adventure worlds which still makes the minimum buy in pretty high. I'm fortunately pretty flush and it's not a big deal but it's a shame a lot of folks won't really be able to afford all the stuff. Maybe since the sets are so plentiful they'll get some nice clearances down the road.

I've been pretty impressed so far with the variety in the levels I've played. A lot of standard Lego game stuff but the powers that use moving characters from panel to panel are neat and each theme has it's own cool gimmicks.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
On the one hand I am sort of interested. I do enjoy the TT lego games. On the other it is rather expensive and I neither have kids nor am a toy collector.

One thing that sticks out at me is the level packs: I am hearing that they top out at an hour. I do not know if this includes the freeroam stuff or not let, though.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

On the one hand I am sort of interested. I do enjoy the TT lego games. On the other it is rather expensive and I neither have kids nor am a toy collector.

One thing that sticks out at me is the level packs: I am hearing that they top out at an hour. I do not know if this includes the freeroam stuff or not let, though.

Any character from a given theme unlocks the free roam stuff (Adventure World) for that theme. So a level pack includes it but so does a fun pack or team pack.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

The Midway Arcade level was pretty awesome. There's a cool Easter egg when you use Gandalf. When you are at low health in the Gauntlet section, the announcer says "Wizard needs food, badly".

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
How are the non-next gen versions? I want to get it now for the PS3 rather than wait until I update someday.

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

I don't know if it counts as last-gen but the Wii U version runs fine with the occasional framerate slowdown.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I dug through my own LEGOs and found a pole to stick X-PO on the toy pad. I also found a skeleton and a shark so I stuck them on there too.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Liar Lyre posted:

I dug through my own LEGOs and found a pole to stick X-PO on the toy pad. I also found a skeleton and a shark so I stuck them on there too.

Pretty sure that means you're doing it right.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

From checking out some streams and stuff this game looks pretty rad, definitely higher quality than Skylanders or Disney Infinity in terms of the overall experience. Plus you get legos to play with. Hoping to pick it up once I get my new job's discount (Best Buy makes you wait like 30 days or something) and get the BTTF, Simpsons, and Portal packs for sure. Not sure what else to get though, until Doctor Who and/or Ghostbusters hits. Thinking Cyborg and Wonder Woman might be cool since I like the DC stuff but I really wish there was a level pack for that world.

How are the Lego Movie characters like Emmet and Benny? And the extra LotR guys? Any feel worthwhile?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Benny has some pretty useful powers: Hacking, Sonar Smash, Target, and Technology. He's pretty good in combat because you can blast enemies pretty quickly with his raygun but it's pretty easy to cause friendly casualties if you are playing with another person. His spaceship is a really good vehicle because it flies and the second form has both (flying vehicle) tow cables and a gold-brick-destroying laser for puzzles/collectables.

I just picked up Emmet today because a lot of collectables and puzzles are gated behind a Drillable wall, which only he and Bane's dumb drill vehicle can destroy. He seems to kind of suck in combat but at least he has the repair power.

Out of the LotR characters I only have Gimli, he's useful to solve puzzles only Tiny characters can get into and he seems pretty solid in combat for a melee character because his axe swinging animation is pretty good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Where is the story content in the game? I just unlocked the area with all the world puzzles, but when I go in them it's just an open world part.

Is it because I didn't let the patch install yet?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Aphrodite posted:

Where is the story content in the game? I just unlocked the area with all the world puzzles, but when I go in them it's just an open world part.

Is it because I didn't let the patch install yet?

Go back and jump through the main portal to progress the story.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I broke down and bought a base kit, Portal and Simpsons worlds, and Wonder Woman and Benny packs yesterday. I've played a bunch of the Tt LEGO games and generally like them (there have been a few turds though) and this one seems like it's going to be a good one.

My only real complaint is that the cord for the (XBONE) base station isn't nearly long enough for someone with a decent size TV or living room. I have to jump off the couch and walk over to the portal every couple minutes, which is a bit of a pain in the rear end. Maybe I'm just a fat, lazy videogamer but these really should be "get really high and not move off the couch" games. I wish they'd figured out a way to make the portal wireless, even if it meant chewing through (rechargeable) batteries.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Lawen posted:

I broke down and bought a base kit, Portal and Simpsons worlds, and Wonder Woman and Benny packs yesterday. I've played a bunch of the Tt LEGO games and generally like them (there have been a few turds though) and this one seems like it's going to be a good one.

My only real complaint is that the cord for the (XBONE) base station isn't nearly long enough for someone with a decent size TV or living room. I have to jump off the couch and walk over to the portal every couple minutes, which is a bit of a pain in the rear end. Maybe I'm just a fat, lazy videogamer but these really should be "get really high and not move off the couch" games. I wish they'd figured out a way to make the portal wireless, even if it meant chewing through (rechargeable) batteries.

Not that I disagree with wireless, but is the XBone cord shorter than the PS4 one? That thing is 8'. Even with a 60" TV that should put it within reach unless you're sitting farther away than optimal distance.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't even like Lego games but I want this so bad. It looks great. :sigh: Going to purchase it.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

shymog posted:

Not that I disagree with wireless, but is the XBone cord shorter than the PS4 one? That thing is 8'. Even with a 60" TV that should put it within reach unless you're sitting farther away than optimal distance.

I have a 65" and my couch is about 12-14' from the TV :(

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Lawen posted:

I have a 65" and my couch is about 12-14' from the TV :(

I had something like this back when I had space like that: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8751

On-topic
I've spend an absurd amount of money on this game and I should feel bad about it, but I'm having so much fun playing it with my normally-gaming wife.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Running a giant USB extension cable while you play could be a problem if there's people running in and out of the room but yeah that might be your best bet if the normal cord isn't long enough. Especially if it's only like $6 and you already spent $150+ on the game and stuff.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Lawen posted:

My only real complaint is that the cord for the (XBONE) base station isn't nearly long enough for someone with a decent size TV or living room. I have to jump off the couch and walk over to the portal every couple minutes, which is a bit of a pain in the rear end. Maybe I'm just a fat, lazy videogamer but these really should be "get really high and not move off the couch" games.

These things are designed for kids who typically have lots of energy.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like someone screwed up the launch in Scandinavia. I looked at multiple stores website and nobody has it for sale. I even called two stores here in Norway and neither had any idea why it was listed as out in their system, yet they didn't have it.
Something tells me they might have pushed back the releases due to localization reasons but if that means they dub the game I'll have to import it from the UK. This might just get a bit to pricey for such a novelty game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The maximum length for USB is 5 meters, which is probably enough for anyone.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

My Lego nerd friend bought this today so I helped him put it together and played the first couple levels with him.

It's fun watching buyers remorse slowly take hold in real time.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."

Steve2911 posted:

My Lego nerd friend bought this today so I helped him put it together and played the first couple levels with him.

It's fun watching buyers remorse slowly take hold in real time.

What were his issues with it?

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
It's a little weird to have buyers remorse considering the game is pretty much exactly what you would expect. If you've played other Lego games this is exactly that with a bunch of popular properties mashed up and physical collectibles added. If anything this adds more gameplay on top of the old formula with the different portal power things.

I guess if you did basically zero investigation ahead of time or had never seen what a Lego game is?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DisposableHero posted:

It's a little weird to have buyers remorse considering the game is pretty much exactly what you would expect. If you've played other Lego games this is exactly that with a bunch of popular properties mashed up and physical collectibles added. If anything this adds more gameplay on top of the old formula with the different portal power things.

I guess if you did basically zero investigation ahead of time or had never seen what a Lego game is?

Nah he adores all the Lego games and looked it all up properly.

His main issue is basically how much stuff that he'd normally enjoy over the normal game (going back and doing poo poo with unlockable characters) is paywalled.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Well I can't really disagree with him there. I mean going into one of these toys to life games you have to figure it's going to be structured to get you to buy lots of stuff but even so the price is a bit high on this one.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

I love all the other Lego games but this one is pretty awful to the point my girlfriend and I haven't even played more than a few levels. It sucks the fun out of it to know even with 3 level packs I'm not even close to being able to get half of the mini kits or gold bricks. I did research but i assumed you would be able to unlock the other skills through gameplay. Apparently that unlock is through the VISA card. That and having to get up to move pieces as part of the actual game play and it feels like they made another LEGO game but added a bunch of stuff on top of it to make it less fun. Hooray cash grab!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

people angry that a game based around buying toys wants you to buy toys itt

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
In fairness, I would have expected the main game to be completable without shelling out for extra packs. I didn't know when I bought it you got no additional characters or abilities in game.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

In fairness, I would have expected the main game to be completable without shelling out for extra packs. I didn't know when I bought it you got no additional characters or abilities in game.

sounds like someone failed to do his research

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
The game is completable regardless. The only thing you're locked out of is the collection of some gold bricks. The gold bricks are currency to unlock better versions of the vehicles but you won't need many if you haven't bought extra packs containing vehicles so it seems like a non issue.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

schreibs posted:

That and having to get up to move pieces as part of the actual game play and it feels like they made another LEGO game but added a bunch of stuff on top of it to make it less fun.

I actually really like this part of it. It's like a "Play with your toys" thing. Sure you're doing nothing more than moving them from section to section, but it's more interesting than something like Disney Infinity, where the figures just sit there.

Also mine is like right in front of me when I play so there's no getting up or anything involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

you can totally complete the entire story mode with just the pack-in characters and vehicle, and you even get access to the DC, Lego Movie, and LotR worlds for more side-quests and content on top of that

everything else is optional

• Locked thread