Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

The Rage posted:

nothing is exciting and new and weird anymore.

we call this

adulthood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The Rage posted:

Can't see poo poo because I chose Human Paladin, think I'll kill spiders in Oasis of Marr OH WAIT TRAIN OF SPECTRES AND SANDGIANTS I AM NOW DEAD

repeat ad inifinitum

It was me, I was the bard repeatedly training people with huge piles of gently caress off death you're welcome

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

cram me sideways posted:

we call this

adulthood

Guess it's time to do drugs!

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
The occasional sand giant wandering past the docks and crushing newbies was always a pleasant treat in the Oasis.

Definitely loved Lockjaw the most though as it would wipe out one group at a time as he traveled down the shore.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

cram me sideways posted:

we call this

adulthood

Its actually a lot of fun to play everquest when I'm not 10 years old and actually see all the content that I missed out on. The wiki ruins a degree of immersion into my nostalgia, but p99 is still hands down the best mmorpg. And they are adding a perma death no pvp range server soon. Bards are still the best PVP class thanks to the near zero enforcement of the server rules.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

My favorite wildstar video is where the two guys are arguing behind a strip club and a stripper comes out and they catcall her until she comes over for their video, bends over, and in doing so apparently releases a turd which you thankfully cannot see as the rest of the video is shaking wildly as they run screaming and laughing

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Is wildstar the game where the sa thread had an ex cop talk about how 16 is scientifically the sexiest age

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid

Xaris posted:

controversial goon opinion: i like boobs

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Rosalind posted:

Can people start telling old MMO stories now? I like threads like those.

I once held an entire town for ransom on my lovely rear end server in WoW. There was this faction of pirates, you see, and if you maxed it out you got this stupid hat that did nothing but give you a unique parrot buddy. For no reason at all I wanted this pirate hat so I could dance in towns with it. To get the faction reputation up you had to kill NPCs in the friendly goblin towns. So once night I just sat there for like three hours killing every single NPC in what was one of the more popular neutral towns. My own faction couldn't attack me and the second anyone from the opposing faction would try, the NPCs that respawned would attack them as well which made it really easy to kill them. After a while of getting countless people demanding I stop I told everyone, on my faction at least, that I would stop killing the banker and other important NPCs if they would just ask politely and say please. Not a single person would. That is my lovely WoW story.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

loquacius posted:

What is the best non-WoW MMO r/n if I don't particularly want to play TESO? (GW2 is great but I am bored with it now). Would it be FFXIV?

yea

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

planetside 2 is also real good if you count that as a mmo, it can handle huge maps and a whole ton of onscreen players shooting each other so it's more mmo than most mmos nowadays

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

memy posted:

Is wildstar the game where the sa thread had an ex cop talk about how 16 is scientifically the sexiest age

that was archeage, someone else will probably sum it up but holey moley was it some goony drama going on for a while

did the EVE goons and the Archeage goons ever reconcile or did everyone just stop playing archeage?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

memy posted:

EX COP?
That sounds like someone who has moved up through the ranks to me.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

"What the gently caress is happening" An entirely accurate description of Wildstar PvP.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Neurolimal posted:

like world of warcraft except before it was accessible and good

step 13. drill screws into nipples, ingame and irl

I love this thing so much because it's the absolute avatar of the Shaggy Dog Story in RPGs. It starts out hmm okay not too unreasonable and just keeps getting dumber and crazier :supaburn:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I am surprised and disappointed that there has been so little talk of Wildstar's awesome aesthetics:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

All right, let's see what this game is all about. And...

Excellent.

Edit: All right, apparently you have to force it to run DirectX 9 and in Admin mode. And...

Excellent.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 2, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Al Borland posted:

I miss warhammer it had real potential but they hosed it up royally.

Same

I wonder if there's a good private server around

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=225

lol

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
what is this nonsense

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

for a moment when i was scrolling past your post i thought your dog was smoking a joint

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrAptronym posted:

I also really thought Guild Wars 2 was going to have potential when I got started. It seemed fun, you leveled quickly and could play low level content without a penalty, the world events were neat. Then they started the updates and it became an endless stream of grinding for new skins and tools. People only really played that content, it was repetitive and existed just to frustrate you enough to turn to the cash shop. They actually added new missions in the second year and I went back and played them briefly, but that game is a mess of currencies and hollow pointless grinds as much as any MMO. (Just the grinds mostly aren't tied to stats) The biggest issue by far is that they removed the 'holy trinity' of Tank-Healer-DPS and failed to replace it with any form of roles at all. Combined with pitifully easy PvE content and a dodge roll, basically every player is just DPS. Any class designed to do anything except huge quick damage is just worse for PvE.

This is my experience with guild wars 2, all the classes practically play the same and there's no real reason to team up with other people to do poo poo

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah see the problem is that games that have a hard requirement for teaming are always horrible poo poo. Since nearly MMO companies have such a massive hardon for Everquest's paradigm of strictly stratified content, with a level 1-3 zone and then a level 4-6 zone and then a 7-9 zone etc etc that discourages and even punishes cooperation outside of your current character's appropriate level tier you end up with huge spans of content nobody has any reason to help you do, and you can't solo it, so ... WILDSTAR! YEAH!

I look forward to a day when game designers finally realize oh hey we spent multiple man-years on this zone's content but our players only spend 1-2 hours in it throughout the lifetime of a character, maybe we should figure out some way to make it relevant to everybody all the time :science:

e: Developers have almost always tried to encourage teaming by simply making content too hard to solo, rather than, y'know, making it FUN TO TEAM (City of Heroes was a rare and mostly accidental exception)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 2, 2015

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah see the problem is that games that have a hard requirement for teaming are always horrible poo poo. Since nearly MMO companies have such a massive hardon for Everquest's paradigm of strictly stratified content, with a level 1-3 zone and then a level 4-6 zone and then a 7-9 zone etc etc that discourages and even punishes cooperation outside of your current character's appropriate level tier you end up with huge spans of content nobody has any reason to help you do, and you can't solo it, so ... WILDSTAR! YEAH!

I look forward to a day when game designers finally realize oh hey we spent multiple man-years on this zone's content but our players only spend 1-2 hours in it throughout the lifetime of a character, maybe we should figure out some way to make it relevant to everybody all the time :science:

e: Developers have almost always tried to encourage teaming by simply making content too hard to solo, rather than, y'know, making it FUN TO TEAM (City of Heroes was a rare and mostly accidental exception)

Guild wars 2 scales your level to the zones content but usually the content is boring and soloable so there's no reason to play with other people

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Flesh Forge posted:

FFXI tried really hard to address this and it worked for a while. You could (and actually had to) level up multiple classes on a single character, so popular low and mid level areas remained populated for a long time. They added a level sync mechanic to allow you to cap your level at a specific party member's and your gear would scale appropriately so you could level with lower level friends and gain merit points (level cap exp to spend on class upgrades) in the process. They added some rewards for redoing level cap dungeons but the rewards kind of sucked so getting people to do level cap content was still like pulling teeth

I haven't played since 2010 and from what I understand a lot of the lower/mid level areas are a ghost town, level caps got removed from level cap content, and you can level from 1 to 99 in a day if you know what you're doing but the game is like 13 years old now, the fact that low/mid level areas stayed populated for a good 7-8 years is honestly the only thing that they did right in that game's horrific Everquest derived design

E: Teaming was actually pretty fun in the early era of the game too because you had to coordinate special attacks to get bonus damage and stuff but then a bunch of spergs crunched the numbers and figured out it was way better to just have everyone smash their abilities as soon as they are available. Basically the same as everyone else has said, documentation and efficiency makes MMOs unfun

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

pretty soft girl posted:

FFXI tried really hard to address this and it worked for a while. You could (and actually had to) level up multiple classes on a single character, so popular low and mid level areas remained populated for a long time. They added a level sync mechanic to allow you to cap your level at a specific party member's and your gear would scale appropriately so you could level with lower level friends and gain merit points (level cap exp to spend on class upgrades) in the process. They added some rewards for redoing level cap dungeons but the rewards kind of sucked so getting people to do level cap content was still like pulling teeth

Guild Wars 2 also does this by unleveling you in the early zones so the content is still relevant, and having boss events periodically as well

That said the problems with GW2 have already been explored itt

• Locked thread