Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
you know whats fun? eating spoonfulls of metamucil and seeing how big your dumps can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Wicker Man posted:

I also worked for the publisher of Wildstar, NCSoft, just before its release. They showed the promo videos to us before, and at the time it sounded kind of neat :shrug:

My wildstar experience. I'm now navigating to user control panel and clicking uninstall.

They have no other servers besides a pvp one.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
They got rid of the boob slider?? Lol, good luck with your lovely game for losers, dumbasses.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Wicker Man posted:

I also worked for the publisher of Wildstar, NCSoft, just before its release. They showed the promo videos to us before, and at the time it sounded kind of neat :shrug:

There was a lot of momentum for it around launch. A hype event for it at PAX East filled the entire main auditorium. It went to hell once everybody hit levelcap and discovered the endgame sucked.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

loquacius posted:

There was a lot of momentum for it around launch. A hype event for it at PAX East filled the entire main auditorium. It went to hell once everybody hit levelcap and discovered the endgame sucked.

A lot of these games could take queue from dark souls and make a new game + mode where everything scales up in difficulty.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Man hearing about the pain in the rear end that is the Wildstar endgame makes me miss Everquest, where the whole game was a huge pain in the rear end but somehow the abuse made me love it more.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Al Borland posted:

Why arent any MMOs like dark souls in terms of combat? That'd be cool.

This is all I really want but it doesnt work because lag or something? idk if steve jobs was here hed figure it out i bet.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I would probably be more excited if they didn't all look like cartoony/anime bullshit.

It's called hire some loving talented artists for a change

Also I hate to be that guy but when are the loving graphics going to get any better? This poo poo hasn't changed for like 10 years.

edit: I'm so hangry I need some gay doriotos

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

loquacius posted:

When the game eventually bombed, all of the staff at Austin got let go except for the leads, and they too got let go after awhile. All outsourced now :haw:

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
youre all loving retards

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Hooded Reptile posted:

Post MMOs you miss

City of Heroes/City of Villains

i miss

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

NecroMonster posted:

City of Heroes/City of Villains

i miss

Seriously. Its the only MMO I ever really got into, for all its flaws it was fun to just go around leveling and dicking around in. Getting badge titles I'd never use. Making dumb characters and breaking mechanics without regard to balance. Running a party of a knight in armor, a robot and a man in tights.

It did go down hill in some at the end of its F2P life though. I sometimes wonder how much of what I liked about it was actually a lack of polish, business sense and cohesion. For all its faults no other Super Hero MMO has grabbed my attention beyond a free trial.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Lots of MMOs really run on ignorance, where the game is only fun when you know nothing about anything in it so it's fun to discover things. The second the game clicks and you feel the urge to grind or raid or whatever, the game becomes poo poo. Star Wars Galaxies was my favorite because it was so janky and from a time when there wasn't a wiki or anything, so you were free to rally explore or share weirdo stories about stuff with other players. I think it's why WoW killers all are failures, they're starting out at the stale stage.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
We always got an incredibly serious email asking or demanding City of Hero's to be brought back at least once a day. That or someone trying to be all official sounding requesting rights to host the game on 3rd party servers.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Wicker Man posted:

We always got an incredibly serious email asking or demanding City of Hero's to be brought back at least once a day. That or someone trying to be all official sounding requesting rights to host the game on 3rd party servers.

I love CoH but yeah, the community got weird. I saw all kinds of posts from the people sending those emails and I am pretty sure none of them knew anything about how customer support or businesses in general functioned. I would have loved to see the game continue on as much as anyone else, but come on. I guess its cute they tried, and not like you actually had to respond I imagine?

I will say that the community in game was pretty fantastic. Lots of nice folk.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Amarcarts posted:

Also I hate to be that guy but when are the loving graphics going to get any better? This poo poo hasn't changed for like 10 years.

Never, it turns out you'll make a lot more money if every piece of poo poo computer from the last decade can run your garbage MMO than you will if you try to add fancy graphics to something that could, possibly, have like fifty+ player characters being drawn at once. Also it's cheaper than trying to make cutting edge graphics

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
They never made a MMO as good as Ultima Online in the early days. If I can't scam, steal, and kill other players I'm out.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

MrAptronym posted:

I love CoH but yeah, the community got weird. I saw all kinds of posts from the people sending those emails and I am pretty sure none of them knew anything about how customer support or businesses in general functioned. I would have loved to see the game continue on as much as anyone else, but come on. I guess its cute they tried, and not like you actually had to respond I imagine?

I will say that the community in game was pretty fantastic. Lots of nice folk.
didnt they run a kickstarter or something to bring back a spiritual successor?
bet thats doing realllll well right now and not totally crashing and burning or running with the cash

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Three or four guys in my Wrath era WoW guild were coders/devs for Wildstar and they were so excited about how awesome it was going to be. Bragged about it all the time, constant "do you remember when WoW was good? Wildstar will be that glory again!" By time it actually released only one was still with the company.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

mmo threads make me lol because they remind me of the mortal online and apb threads here

thats all

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Also I miss the hell out of EQ because it was terrifying and hard and dangerous and it was a huge world that took you months and months to explore and the legends and stories in it were just as fascinating. Nothing feels like that again.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

The Rage posted:

Also I miss the hell out of EQ because it was terrifying and hard and dangerous and it was a huge world that took you months and months to explore and the legends and stories in it were just as fascinating. Nothing feels like that again.
yeah but also some parts were dumb like corpse popping in the Planes or camping frogs in lower guk I mean ... I dunno, I still have mixed feelings. Lots of good, lots of blatantly-player-hostile decisions by the devs. I mean, de-leveling? gently caress right off.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
turns out people enjoyed being nostalgic about obtuse bullshit more than they did going through similar stuff years later

somewhere, you will find people who are nostalgic for the irregular 24+ hour spawn timers some enemies in eq had, but that doesnt mean you should actually cater to them as though they were a viable customer base

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

The Rage posted:

Also I miss the hell out of EQ because it was terrifying and hard and dangerous

EQ had me on edge more than the scariest horror or survival game and nothing will ever feel like that again. :(

Right now I'm actually enjoying Elder Scrolls Online even though it's an unrepentant buggy shitheap like any other MMO not named Warcraft. At least it doesn't have graphics that make me feel like I'm trapped in a Saturday morning cartoon and some cool RPG ish things not usually seen in MMOs like a stealing/justice system.

chrimbus granger
Jul 5, 2004

by Lowtax
i miss city of heroes

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

didnt they run a kickstarter or something to bring back a spiritual successor?
bet thats doing realllll well right now and not totally crashing and burning or running with the cash

I completely forgot about that. I went and looked it up, its called "City of Titans" and... to their credit, they seem to still be working on it. Thats about all I can say in their credit, it seems painfully obvious that its a bunch of people with very little, if any, experience.

Serious Frolicking posted:

turns out people enjoyed being nostalgic about obtuse bullshit more than they did going through similar stuff years later

somewhere, you will find people who are nostalgic for the irregular 24+ hour spawn timers some enemies in eq had, but that doesnt mean you should actually cater to them as though they were a viable customer base

I think that is true. You have to give people what they want, not what they think they want. I will say that I miss those old days, but I suspect a lot of that was the novelty of MMOs and how daunting they seemed. Not having accessable out of game info on a lot of them helped too. Now that there are a million of them out there, and they are streamlined with well documented support, they lost their magic? I think it may be that the core gameplay in basically every MMO is just deeply uninteresting, but it was so obfuscated I never saw. CoH was fun to me for reasons that had very little to do with the actual gameplay. heck I enjoyed Anarchy Online for a while when it was pretty new, and that game is objectively a mess.

EDIT: I think the little space to write a biography was one of my favorite features in CoH.

MrAptronym fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 1, 2015

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

City of Heroes was basically an arpg that didn't really realize it was an arpg with a really cool hero creator and a neat as hell setting

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I miss City of Villains. I had a soldier mastermind named Colonel Hogan with Kinch, Lebeau, Newkirk, Schultz, Carter, and Klink as my henchmen.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Wicker Man posted:

it had a great character creation system. I made a sidekick called: Golden Shower Boy who shot urine powers. A sniper named Money Shot who shot web nets, and my personal favorite, The Customer Service Representative. (He did jack poo poo, but asked you to unplug things and wait 10 seconds before plugging it back in.)

You really could get super creative with how you made people look. I had poindexter in a white shirt and nerdy glasses down to the letter with the CSR.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

NecroMonster posted:

City of Heroes was basically an arpg that didn't really realize it was an arpg with a really cool hero creator and a neat as hell setting

City of Heroes was great. But they just kept making content for low levels and didn't really do anything neat with it until near the end of its life.

The one thing that kicked me out of the game was the "Enhancement Diversity" change. They basically setup the idea that your hero wasn't as strong as common enemies. When at that point in the game I could literally take on an army of 50+ higher level than me guys and win. I felt like a superhero. Then they took that away. It was hard to continue playing after that.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

The Rage posted:

Yeah whatever happened to night in video games where you can't see poo poo without a light source?

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

Al Borland posted:

it had a great character creation system. I made a sidekick called: Golden Shower Boy who shot urine powers. A sniper named Money Shot who shot web nets, and my personal favorite, The Customer Service Representative. (He did jack poo poo, but asked you to unplug things and wait 10 seconds before plugging it back in.)

You really could get super creative with how you made people look. I had poindexter in a white shirt and nerdy glasses down to the letter with the CSR.

When i first got coh, my friends and I sat around making characters and never actually played one until the next day. The movement skills were really neat and flavorful.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I think it's going to be real hard to get back any of that mmo magic with wikis popping up for games before they even come out nowadays. I think a huge part of eq, wow, and their predecessors was that no one ever really new precisely what was going on so you were kind of forced to explore, get lost, and work together to get anywhere. it made the world feel organic to the point where there were player created roles and jobs just for navigating the world. In addition to games being less obtuse, more streamlined, and more solo friendly nowadays, that it's so easy to just google the "best" way to play the game ends up making everything bland.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 1, 2015

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

ArbitraryC posted:

I think it's going to be real hard to get back any of that mmo magic with wikis popping up for games before they even come out nowadays. I think a huge part of eq, wow, and their predecessors was that no one ever really new precisely what was going on so you were kind of forced to explore, get lost, and work together to get anywhere. it made the world feel organic to the point where there were player created roles and jobs just for navigating the world.

EQ atlas by EQ Muse was THE BEST thing ever. Just because it gave you some kind of map reference to navigate by.

Holy poo poo, some zones were terrible to navigate even with them. Dragons Cauldron or whatever to Unrest was the worst.

My favorite was the pass to highhold keep at night as a human. No light? Welp, here's hoping you don't fall 1000 feet to your death.

I agree wikis ruin things now a days and I wish we could get rid of them somehow but just not gonna happen in an MMO. :negative: Single or small multiplayer games you can just random generate maps and other things. I'd love that for an MMO but persistent world is impossible. Maybe you could pull it off with dungeons.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

City of Heroes was great. But they just kept making content for low levels and didn't really do anything neat with it until near the end of its life.

The one thing that kicked me out of the game was the "Enhancement Diversity" change. They basically setup the idea that your hero wasn't as strong as common enemies. When at that point in the game I could literally take on an army of 50+ higher level than me guys and win. I felt like a superhero. Then they took that away. It was hard to continue playing after that.

I was pretty angry at ED at the time, but I think it was good for the game. Controllers could keep rooms of enemies permanently locked down. Blasters instantly killed huge swaths, Tanks could fight an entire map of werewolves in a dumpster. Adding the diminishing returns did end up with a better game and more diversity among builds, but it could be one of the biggest nerfs in MMO history. It didn't make the heros less strong than common enemies though, I rarely ever had trouble with anything less than special named elite/archvillains. It also allowed the invention system to come along though.

As for my characters, I liked making and playing alts, but if I recall my lv 50s were: a Rifle/Device Blaster named "Dulce et Decorum", a Soldier/pain Mastermind named "Pro Patria Mori", a Radiation/Radiation Defender named "Carcinogenesis" and a Ninja/Thermal Matsermind named "Konohanasakuya". As a related note, it was really hard to get names, it felt like everything was taken. The one feature Champions had that I really liked was to allow characters to use repeat names, with a unique account identifier to distinguish. I also had a Plant/Psychic Dominator and a Spine/Regen scrapper. I can't for the life of me remember their names.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Power creep and newer mods eventually rendered the nerf nearly non-existent anyway. What the game needed is more loot of more types (far sooner than it actually got them) and more variety.

Shakra
Jul 30, 2004

Al Borland posted:

A lot of these games could take queue from dark souls and make a new game + mode where everything scales up in difficulty.

Elder Scrolls Online does this, when you finish the game you get to play through the other two factions content and its like a new game +, and then after that you can go to a new vetran world, and then there is the large scale pvp stuff.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

Power creep and newer mods eventually rendered the nerf nearly non-existent anyway. What the game needed is more loot of more types (far sooner than it actually got them) and more variety.

I'll agree on more content variety, but I actually really liked how loot basically wasn't important to the game at all. Character customization and progression all just happened with your character, not items you had to buy or grind for. Getting Inspirations was neat and went a long way to making every kind of hero more well rounded though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I played Tabula Rasa for a bit then one day it got shitcanned

• Locked thread