Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
i know there's a lot to be said for ones perception of time, as we all have a subjective view of it

I have found as I get older that it seems to go faster in the vast majority of cases

how bout u - have you perceived a difference?

is poo poo getting faster or slower?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
I can slow time using my mind.

when it catches up, thats

old wooden ships
Jan 22, 2015
Too fast, op, way too fast.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
way faster. september is already over jesus christ.

i remember the time between 6 week progress reports (report cards) in middle/high school being sooo long.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
It's because you prolly aren't learning new things, meeting enough new people, deadlines/due dates or things to look forward to (turning 18, driving a car, turning 21, graduating college/hs), or doing anything exciting on a regular basis.

Work out every day, join some hobby clubs or something, make plans to do something each night instead of eating microwaved trader joes food, games, netflixing and shitposting and it will by a lot slower. go make a goal to be able to do [x] by [y].

and it's not that it's going slower, its just you dont have anything other than generic routine so your brain just skips over large chunks of time with nothing neat or different to remember and it becomes insignificant in the sea of experiences youve had already.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 1, 2015

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
yea hit feels lik it goes really fast now that I dont have as many like short term things to worry about like passing a semester or poo poo

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
The reason why time seems to go by faster as you get older is because you have experienced time more often. When you are 13, a single year is like 1/9th of your entire life experiences assuming your memories start at around 4 years old. As you get older and experience more, there is more monotony and repetitiveness and less new experiences.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
if spacetime is an object in itself and life is a line between the vectors of birth and death in timespace, ur linear experience of it is the movement between those 2 vectors

a finite life must contain a finite set of experiences but since each individual experience element has potentially infinite factors u cannot experience an entire experience object in finite moments.

if u have motion over a distance u also have speed / velocity and acceleration

put these together and you might find ur answer OP

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
As you get older the years start to fly by like weeks.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

no this poo poo life is molasses drudgery

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
You have to stay alive because its "fun"

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Am I in control of my brain
Or is my brain in control of me?

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Three-Phase posted:

Am I in control of my brain
Or is my brain in control of me?

you and your brain are part and parcel of the same whole; your personality is a product of your brain and previous stimuli

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
poo poo's starting to get monotonous yo

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Vaseline Time Machine

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Poetic Justice posted:

The reason why time seems to go by faster as you get older is because you have experienced time more often. When you are 13, a single year is like 1/9th of your entire life experiences assuming your memories start at around 4 years old. As you get older and experience more, there is more monotony and repetitiveness and less new experiences.

This.

The older you get, the faster time will appear to move.

Doesn't really matter, though. You are going to die, OP.

Good.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Waltzing Along posted:

This.

The older you get, the faster time will appear to move.

Doesn't really matter, though. You are going to die, OP.

Good.

yup

we all will, including you, Waltzing Along

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

At 33 nah but I don't have kids making everyday seem like hell so that might have something to do with it

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Poetic Justice posted:

Beaten like a red headed step child

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnT5JkGydVY

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Windows 98 posted:

Beaten like a red headed step child

speaking of, it's amusing that the john birch comic strip "Annie" has a musical based upon it

it's like if horatio alger stories had their own movie series

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

starry skies above posted:

As you get older the years start to fly by like weeks.

:agreed:

This guy knows what's up.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I measure time by how bad my chronic pain is.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That Robot posted:

i know there's a lot to be said for ones perception of time, as we all have a subjective view of it

I have found as I get older that it seems to go faster in the vast majority of cases

how bout u - have you perceived a difference?

is poo poo getting faster or slower?

A year goes by faster because it is less significant a chunk of your life. 1 year out of 80 is nothing but 1 out of 15 is a lot

Someone told me this and it made sense I think

gently caress someone explained it far better anyway

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
we are one of the last mortal generations

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Time goes by faster cuz you can use your phone to look up stuff instead of taking days/weeks/months to remember it, like who sang breakfast at Tiffany's (deep blue something).

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i turn 26 in a couple of weeks and the last 6 years seriously feel like a blur. It's been mostly miserable and I'd do a lot of nasty things to get a shot at being 18 again with my current mind just because that life was slower and a hell of a lot easier

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
time is a molecule

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
love is a battlefield

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
it's super fast, then I smoke some weed and chill

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

hemophilia posted:

i turn 26 in a couple of weeks and the last 6 years seriously feel like a blur. It's been mostly miserable and I'd do a lot of nasty things to get a shot at being 18 again with my current mind just because that life was slower and a hell of a lot easier
if it's any comfort, somewhere around 33 you begin asking yourself "where did all the time go? jesus loving christ where did it go" basically all the time. Each time with a little more anxiety and fear of mortality. I assume this continues up until the point you die. older or dead goons confirm/deny.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
time is a like a series of balls falling off a cliff

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

PROTIP: Sleeping is like being dead, except you're not technically dead yet. Don't bother sleeping. It makes every day and week longer!

naem
May 29, 2011

Drink Cheerwine posted:

we are one of the last mortal generations

Well they'd better dig me up and put me in a robot then dammit

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

satanic splash-back posted:

PROTIP: Sleeping is like being dead, except you're not technically dead yet. Don't bother sleeping. It makes every day and week longer!

you can sleep when youre dead! lol good times...

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
time keeps on slippin into the future...

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Pro tip taking a giant poo poo is the perfect way to escape reality and slow down the endless March to your lovely life and untimely death

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
my perception of time is in flux, op

sometimes it's like, gently caress a month is gone already? and sometimes it's like fuuuuck, it feels like it's been half a year but it's only been a week

and then when i'm really high it's like fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, it feels like it's been HOURS and it's been like two minutes

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
life is like a river and we keep floating down it, eventually we get to the ocean :smug:and sometimes there is an adventure here or there but its mostly just a bunch of wild indians and trap;pers and poo poo which isnt really the adventuring i was looking for i was thinking we would find orcs and ogres and green slimes and treasures but when i finally got to the ocean i actually found a sunken russian submarine and all i got out of it was this crusty old dried up seaman :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The White Dragon posted:

my perception of time is in flux, op

sometimes it's like, gently caress a month is gone already? and sometimes it's like fuuuuck, it feels like it's been half a year but it's only been a week

and then when i'm really high it's like fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, it feels like it's been HOURS and it's been like two minutes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread