Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Changing refunds from a reasonable time to 30 days might be a bit of an issue. If I bought a washing machine and it broke after 3 months I would have expected my money back as 3 months is not a reasonable amount of time but 30 days (especially for a product that is only used sporadically) might not be long enough for the flaws to be uncovered. These days warranties and stuff make that statutory right kind of a second thought I guess but still I liked the wiggle room of 'reasonable time'.

This I'm not so concerned about, but having read it a second time, the bit that jumps out is

quote:

consumers will now be able to take their complaints to certified Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) providers, a cheaper route than going through the courts

This stinks of privatisation of a piece of the judicial process and it would not surprise me one bit if these ADRs turned out to be shoddily certified and basically bought-and-paid-for by retail groups.

I thought something was amiss. To quote myself:

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It was dashed on day 1, like all other hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Its funny because if (in the event of parole uprising) the megarich flee to new zealand it wont matter, we can still seize all their assets that arent in new zealand and then theyll just be people living in the middle of nowhere with no income

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I just woke up and realised - they're LARPing Galt's Gulch lmao.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
They can still squirrel away a lot of money in tax havens. Now there are some legitimate military goals if I ever did see one.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

hi comrades, just checking in to make sure the dead pig hosed by david cameron is still hosed (by david cameron (the dead pig, that is))

Dead pig is hosed, hosed by David Cameron, David Cameron hosed a pig (which, you will note, was dead), a dead pig by David Cameron was gently caress'd

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Phoon posted:

Its funny because if (in the event of parole uprising) the megarich flee to new zealand it wont matter, we can still seize all their assets that arent in new zealand and then theyll just be people living in the middle of nowhere with no income

They only know how to pay people to create new alloys; they're all gonna have to till the soil :laugh:

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Barry Foster posted:

Dead pig is hosed, hosed by David Cameron, David Cameron hosed a pig (which, you will note, was dead), a dead pig by David Cameron was gently caress'd

so what you're saying is, David Cameron hosed A Dead Pig

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
This was on facebook. It's nice to see that police culture in the UK is about as messed up as in the US.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Thanks to the new CRA, expect to see mobile providers trying to convince yiu to buy the phone outright and take a sim only deal, as there are also provisions to allow you to cancel your contract in cases of faulty phones.

(That said, I think in store replacements will be a lot more common now. It also means your supplier is in hook for all of Apple's gently caress ups, and Apple doesnt owe you jack poo poo unless you bought it direct.)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Skeesix posted:

This was on facebook. It's nice to see that police culture in the UK is about as messed up as in the US.

The police are an unaccountable and oppressive elite that declares war on the general populace at regular intervals. A historically accurate T-shirt.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 1, 2015

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Like most regulation in favour of consumers it's indirectly going to benefit big businesses who will be better able to absorb the costs than smaller businesses and startups.
You might even find that they lobbied for or supported it, if you went digging.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Guavanaut posted:

There was one common theme throughout the last half of last month's thread, and in the interest of preserving the discussion as it developed:

This is the first bit of British History I am proud to be a part of.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Skeesix posted:

theyre protecting the monsters from the weak

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The Saurus posted:

Teapacks, classic eurovision. They're Israeli and awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyiLSZavS4U

The band name actually Tipex, the Hebrew word for white out (the office supply, not the movie). I can understand why you'd get excited though.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Phoon posted:

One road in means no way out when the mobs come calling

Not sure they've thought this through

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Been lurking UKMT for a couple of months, just chiming in to say I joined a political party for the first time. Never expected it would be Labour. Don't let me down Jez.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phoon posted:

theyre protecting the monsters from the weak
It reads more like they're protecting the few from the monsters and the weak.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
David Cameron seems to have be almost completely unscathed by all of Mandelson's Ashcroft's allegations so far, up to and including the allegations involving his carnal knowledge of a severed pig's head. How? How? Are Labour and the other opposition parties that weak, or does David Cameron / the Tories truly have that much of a stranglehold over the levers of power in the UK?

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 1, 2015

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The tories control the press

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

JosephWongKS posted:

David Cameron seems to have be almost completely unscathed by all of Mandelson's allegations so far, up to and including the allegations involving his carnal knowledge of a severed pig's head. How? How? Are Labour and the other opposition parties that weak, or does David Cameron / the Tories truly have that much of a stranglehold over the levers of power in the UK?

Ashcroft, you mean. It hasn't gone anywhere as Corbyn is trying to be grown up, and the Press is biased towards the Tories.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Phoon posted:

The tories control the press

The press controls the tories. And now that they had a weekend of monstering in the front pages Call Me Dave knows who's boss and is, I'm sure, only too happy to do as he's told to avoid any more unpleasantness.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The press and the tories are the same people

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd be nice if they glowed blue or something so we could tell who they were.

Dystopian 70s sci-fi ending as we all look in a mirror and discover that we are also blue.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

JosephWongKS posted:

David Cameron seems to have be almost completely unscathed by all of Mandelson's Ashcroft's allegations so far, up to and including the allegations involving his carnal knowledge of a severed pig's head. How? How? Are Labour and the other opposition parties that weak, or does David Cameron / the Tories truly have that much of a stranglehold over the levers of power in the UK?

Zephro posted:

Prediction time: this will not damage Cameron significantly
But did you know that Ed Miliband once pulled a face while eating a bacon sandwich and we can never let him live it down?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

JosephWongKS posted:

Book isn't out yet.

The News seems to be pushing hard for the idea that Trident is where the Labour Party will rebel, now that Corbyn has said he won't annihilate a city of innocent civilians in nuclear fire in the event the UK has been reduced to a smoking nuclear ruin.

If we ever get to that point that the UK is obliterated by nuclear weapons I will agree that Corbyn wasn't a very good Prime Minister if he pushes the button or not.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fans posted:

If we ever get to that point that the UK is obliterated by nuclear weapons I will agree that Corbyn wasn't a very good Prime Minister if he pushes the button or not.
It could just mean that somebody else wasn't a very good leader.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Guavanaut posted:

It could just mean that somebody else wasn't a very good leader.

Well usually we'd let history be the judge but I'm not sure that'd work in that specific instance. The one where everybody is dead.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Fans posted:

The News seems to be pushing hard for the idea that Trident is where the Labour Party will rebel, now that Corbyn has said he won't annihilate a city of innocent civilians in nuclear fire in the event the UK has been reduced to a smoking nuclear ruin.

Did he say that he'd only use them against military targets?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pissflaps posted:

He said he wouldn't use them at all.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

For real I hope you get them before they escape, and even if you do, you still got a navy with big artillery guns right? Or maybe that trident thing could be put to some constructive use.

Well, the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4.5_inch_Mark_8_naval_gun isn't that big, sadly, and we're still waiting on the yanks for a JSF that works for our carriers :argh: We've plenty of missiles, though.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

We don't have any tactical nuclear weapons, Pissflaps.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

mehall posted:

Thanks to the new CRA, expect to see mobile providers trying to convince yiu to buy the phone outright and take a sim only deal, as there are also provisions to allow you to cancel your contract in cases of faulty phones.

(That said, I think in store replacements will be a lot more common now. It also means your supplier is in hook for all of Apple's gently caress ups, and Apple doesnt owe you jack poo poo unless you bought it direct.)

I did this myself at it worked out cheaper in the long run. Plus if I have a fault I can deal with Apple directly rather than going through the terrible EE customer service.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Fans posted:

He said he wouldn't use them at all.

So you're saying that the news is suggesting that predominantly pro-Trident Labour MPs might rebel against a leader who is anti trident and has said he wont use them at all?

Does this surprise you in some way?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pissflaps posted:

So you're saying that the news is suggesting that predominantly pro-Trident Labour MPs might rebel against a leader who is anti trident and has said he wont use them at all?

Does this surprise you in some way?

He said he's happy for them to continue with Trident, but he will not fire the missiles.

The issue isn't the renewal of Trident, the issue seems to be that the PM is obligated to say he'd use Nuclear Weapons, even if that's a lie.

Are we not allowed an Anti-Nuclear PM? Or are politicians allowed to lie when its in the nations interest?

Fans fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 1, 2015

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Fans posted:

He said he's happy for them to continue with Trident, but he will not fire the missiles.

The issue isn't the renewal of Trident, the issue seems to be that the PM is obligated to say he'd use Nuclear Weapons, even if that's a lie.

It seems more that the issue is that he said it at all, which he certainly isn't obligated to do.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

We don't have any tactical nuclear weapons, Pissflaps.
This is a good thing. Tactical nuclear weapons encourage the idea of a 'limited nuclear exchange'.

Fans posted:

Well usually we'd let history be the judge but I'm not sure that'd work in that specific instance. The one where everybody is dead.
That instance is morally neutral by definition though, like Corbyn's asteroid which he has already said he would support. The worst thing about nuclear war is that not everyone would die. There would be a lot of people left alive in terrible conditions and suffering. Also in a lot of exchange scenarios Australia is left unscathed and that's just terrible.

Maybe that's why all the super rich want to go to New Zealand. :tinfoil:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Fans posted:

Are we not allowed an Anti-Nuclear PM? Or are politicians allowed to lie when its in the nations interest?

We're allowed to have a Prime MInister with pretty much any views on any subject, if he can command the support of his party and the voters.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pissflaps posted:

It seems more that the issue is that he said it at all, which he certainly isn't obligated to do.

And then we'd have never known if the staunchly anti-nuclear, anti-war Corbyn would have or not.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Have we at long last reached Peak Grauniad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I'm sure it's just coincidence that A Very British Coup is in the Kindle monthly deals, just after John McDonnell has said that a future Labour government would make Amazon pay the right amount of tax.

• Locked thread