Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Its funny because if (in the event of parole uprising) the megarich flee to new zealand it wont matter, we can still seize all their assets that arent in new zealand and then theyll just be people living in the middle of nowhere with no income

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Skeesix posted:

This was on facebook. It's nice to see that police culture in the UK is about as messed up as in the US.

theyre protecting the monsters from the weak

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The tories control the press

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The press and the tories are the same people

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

suzanne moore is the guardian columnist who is most upset by corbyn i think

(except for blair)

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Nobody is going to nuke or invade the UK.

I'm very sorry that your country is next to Russia but ours isn't.

im sure it will be soon

raises an interesting question, if we did drop trident would the US look for another european country to gain/increase their arsenal?* Germany was their client state for decades and is nearer to russia so they seem the obvious choice

*really they would engineer a coup before we could get rid of them

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

cookingchat is always good.

how would you prepare and cook a pigs head

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

of course the loving swiss would survive. itd just be them and their piles of nazi gold

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

TomViolence posted:

Why does "making tough choices" always seem to translate to "consistently choosing whichever outcome leads to the most possible suffering for the most possible people?" It really is amazing to me.

its part of the stiff upper lip thing where the rich convince everyone else that its a virtue to put up with poo poo whilst their own situation gets better and better

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Angepain posted:

So on a scale of 1 to Exclusively A Playground For The Rich, I guess London is up to about a 7 or so by now? There's still work to be done but they're making great progress.

its great lots of the people who can no longer afford to set up independent bars restaurants and other businesses there are coming to birmingham instead

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

im sure hes a very nice billionaire heir

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

They announced this months ago but it's on display now until the end of the month. I will probably head over at some point, its a pretty cool discovery

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Ian hislop is so angry about the pig head story being believed but not about the dismantling of our society in favour of the rich

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

What does he mean banned modern slavery when was slavery legal??

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Hahaha Jeremey Hunt confirms the tory long term strategy by saying tax credit cuts will teach people to work as hard as the chinese

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

:france:

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Which is more difficult to believe? That tories simply posess sufficient cognitive dissonance to believe the things they say or that they possess sufficient antipathy to other humans that they are conscious of their actual effects?

Tory voters in the first statement, tory politicians and donors in the second

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

No you don't you have lots of money

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

stop talking about loving baking

jeremy hunt's entire speech at that fringe event seems to be objectionable poo poo about tax credit cuts, he must not have got the memo that the party is trying to distract from them

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If Jeremy Hunt was a baked good, what would he be?

dried out piece of poo poo

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

XMNN posted:

People say never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, I say why not both?

its always malice with the tories

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

pigs head

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Jeremy just tweeted about being on the cover of train magazine saying he is a lifetime reader

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

they were in favour of "the coalition". basically endorsed the lib dems

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Pesmerga posted:

People are going to lap that speech up, as the press is doing. There is no hope.

No they aren't. Most people aren't watching it.

The only people who will lap it up are blairites looking for an excuse to join their natural party the tories. The press will declare him a centrist but they don't get to decide where the centre is, even if they believe they do.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Labour are lurching away from the centre and the Tories are moving in.

thats not how the centre works. if labour move left and the tories "move left" to counter them then the centre moves left

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Using more left wing rhetoric whilst pursuing right wing policies will make them seem like hypocrites which plays in Corbyn's favour as he is seen as very genuine. Commentators act like people make their political decisions based on media coverage entirely, as if they don't ever see or feel the effects of policy. Or as if they're stupid enough to believe him saying "I want everyone to be secure" whilst they can feel themselves becoming less secure.

The only way this positioning would work would be if the policies they're going to run with now would actually be good for the majority of people in this country.

e: vvv Our political scene is exactly like the USA but on a delay

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

theres a piece on midlands today right now with business owners attacking charity shops for "driving up the rents"

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Prince John posted:

The Beeb's review of the PM's speech seems to think it was very competent, echoing Tony Blair.

Well they would wouldn't they

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Alctel posted:

This guy has single handedly turned the Canadian Tories campaign around from 3rd place to a possible minority by making scary noises about muslims

Thats his #1 move

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

They never define skunk is what annoys me. What strains are we talking? Presumably its strong sativas

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Saw this on the tweets and thought "ho ho ho"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u5uWyHJ5A4

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

hes figured out what marxists figured out a hundred years ago and its being presented as a revelation

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

While being despised by the tories is a shining character recommendation in and of itself, what are her politics like?

Similar to corbyn, but she's not as good in interviews and debates imo

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

JFairfax posted:

I think that Government Ministers are not effective Project or Programme Managers and get taken for rides massively by IT contractors and outsourcers who gouge them massively.

imo not so much getting taken for a ride so much as intentionally overpaying to transfer public wealth into private hands

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I've been no platformed before.

is that when you jump for it but the platform moves away and mario dies

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Good poo poo from tom watson

Meanwhile the promised cannabis debate is happening and its about twelve people

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

What do the Tories actually GAIN from keeping pot and the like illegal? I really don't understand it, I mean, keeping them illegal is wildly expensive for like 8 different public services, whereas legalising them would allow all their mates to immediately start turning a fat profit off selling them. What's the reasoning?

What happened in Greece is much less likely to happen to us because a: we're much less likely to default and b: we control our own currency. Or such is my understanding, anyway.

Political donations from alcohol and tobacco companies

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

this watson thing is getting crazy the telegraph has a quote on the front page calling accusations of sexual abuse "tittle-tattle"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Who does he think is responsible for this period of stress??

The rich gently caress over the workers, the workers look for someone to blame, the rich scapegoat someone else. Over and over this happens through history.

• Locked thread