Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I reckon there's a 'real or fake Guardian article' online quiz in the making here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

XMNN posted:

That question is absolutely ridiculous.

Not if they're talking about Trident and someone starts going 'b-b-but terrorists!' Then it's a pretty good followup question

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

XMNN posted:

Why would you use nuclear weapons on a non-nuclear pseudo-state at any point ever? It's a ludicrous proposition.

I still don't think it makes any difference whether a lifelong anti-nuclear campaigner and pacifist explicitly confirms that he wouldn't launch a retaliatory nuclear strike or not. It's not enough of a cast-iron guarantee that it would induce the Reds to initiate a first strike even in a world where the Americans don't have thousands of warheads aimed at them and he wasn't going to use the threat of nuclear bombings as a bargaining chip anyway. It's a non-development.

Well yeah, that's why going on about IS in the context of Britain's nuclear deterrent is silly. It's pretty much a thought-terminating cliche at this point, so the natural response is to actually follow it to its absurd conclusion

And the Corbyn thing is silly because we're imagining some bizarro world where the UK is about to be invaded by who knows, and the entire world-changing and possibly world-ending decision rests on the fact Corbyn said 'don't wanna'. Sounds like a right wing comic where America gets invaded because the lefty peacenik government lets the reds know they're weak and then you get tanks driving through McDonalds

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oberleutnant posted:

can we please just have a loving moratorium on nukechat

Future transmission from Labour government 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHy8kW632dE

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Zephro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ABghHHFv5k

If you haven't seen this it's worth watching. Is Eamon Holmes always this rambling and bad? OK MR CORBYN LET'S TALK ABOUT ARSENE WENGER

I like how the thumbnail makes it look like Eamonn Holmes is a smiling and fun interviewer instead of a belligerent third-rate Kay Burley

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LemonDrizzle posted:

Apparently, there will actually be two things that survive nuclear armageddon: cockroaches and the Swiss.

Wow we all know kapparomeo's a bit of an rear end but this might be going too far

mfcrocker posted:

Yeah I mean between those two it's the machete every time

You gotta saute them til they whistle

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Check out his Lordship there with electricity connected to his childhood home! Luxury

Now in 1905...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

EmptyVessel posted:

Hm, bit hyperbolic this. By "fourth paragraph" you're referring to the fourth sentence (even with line breaks between a sentence is hardly a paragraph) which reads in it's entirety "US forces were carrying out air strikes at the time." It's almost like you are complaining that the BBC are not serving you nice, short, punchy soundbites, as if that was a barrier to actual reporting as opposed to being the opposite.

FWIW the radio reporting of this story by the BBC during the day made it quite clear that US forces had dropped the bombs, and continued to do so after MSF was in contact with NATO.

If Russia had done it the headline would have been Russia Bombs Hospital. And saying 'the US was carrying out airstrikes at the time' makes it sound like they don't have any actual information about what happened, even though the rest of the piece makes it pretty clear. It's like refusing to explicitly deny you hosed a dead pig and skirting around the issue

That's the inferior version, too much smirking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHFZBUTA4k

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well I think the idea is to spend the next five years trying to shift the public narrative away from this gotcha bullshit, so the Tories will actually have to do more than point at Labour and go 'ooooaahhh' this time. Get people used to hearing some actual straight answers and expecting them from the other side as well, instead of giving them a pass with whatever fairy stories they come out with

If Labour's going to play the long game they have to stick to it, not fall back into the RoboEd style of mechanically parroting a diet version of whatever the tories say

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

EmptyVessel posted:

To take this back to the original 'BBC News is poo poo' loop - I heard all of this on the BBC radio 4 news yesterday afternoon, including recording of an MSF representative from the hospital tallking about sending GPS coordinates etc. Maybe don't rely on online media - they just want your click.

That's fine, but an increasingly large number of people get their news from online sources now, including shared articles on social media (which tend to be a quick headline summary). You shouldn't give them a pass just because it's the online version - I'm not expecting massive depth, just not weasel wording about the most basic facts of the incident. The BBC especially has a responsibility to be objective and accurate in its reporting, and not just on Radio 4

feedmegin posted:

To be honest, I really, really doubt the US pilots doing the strike were thinking 'ooh yes, let's go bomb an MSF hospital'. It's more likely that the US army had been told but it didn't get communicated to the guys who needed to know. This fuckup is more about massive incompetence than the US intentionally bombing a hospital.

Why give them the benefit of the doubt? This is world's largest, most well-funded, most advanced military force with a history of experience and involvement in global conflict. "Oops" doesn't cut it - it sure wouldn't if some ragtag local militia hit a hospital with a stray rocket, so why give a pass to a global superpower carrying out precision airstrikes using the most advanced comms technology known to mankind, in an area with a known and long-established hospital, with specific rules of engagement about about the use of force near those facilities?

I mean they claimed to be attacking insurgents in the area, the Afghan government said the Taliban were firing from the hospital, and after the bombing they claimed to have found 10-15 militants hiding in the hospital... and the most advanced military force on the planet repeatedly bombed the hospital for an hour, even after the hospital itself immediately contacted them and said YOU ARE BOMBING US AND KILLING PEOPLE. I mean call me crazy, but it almost sounds like they were knowingly and intentionally targetting that hospital to git um terrists. It's not like this is unprecedented or anything

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

oxford_town posted:

Fun though it looks, I'm not sure shouting "Tory scum" and egging delegates does much to engender sympathy amongst the electorate.

It might rouse a bit of curiosity in people who somehow think everything's just fine though

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

With video!

https://youtu.be/yZB8_RMwFfI?t=2m30s

Seems to be going down well.

"Throw eggs at tories" might be a valid election platform.

Whoa, a magic anarchist flag

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Everyone who's ever gone to Syria is an ISIS member, apparently. I'm glad our highly objective government has moved on from threating to revoke their citizenship, to executing them for political reasons. Truly a recipe for success in the middle east and winning hearts and minds back home

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

If a lot of people send him the same info it's probably true

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Prince John posted:

This is a bit obtuse. Two of the British citizens killed featured in ISIS recruitment videos according to the Guardian. One of them was killed by the Americans and I can't quickly find any info on the third individual.

I'd much prefer to put them on trial too, but presenting it as if the government is just executing tourists for laughs is stretching the truth.

It was more a comment on how every time people go to Syria, or are thought to have gone to Syria, it's immediately claimed that they're joining IS. Even when they're medical students, who are thought
to be going to IS-controlled areas in a country experiencing a medical and humanitarian crisis - nobody knows where they are but boy howdy, we sure know what nefarious plans they have!

The government is demonising everyone with any connection to the country (unless they're white) and talking about revoking citizenship and 'deradicalising' people who've even dared to visit the country against the orders of the government. I mean this is still a country with people and families and homes, with a humanitarian crisis and a civil war against terrible oppressive forces - there are all kinds of reasons people might go there (when they actually do), which is why it's important to identify the actual threats instead of claiming everyone (except the white people) is connected to the world's most reviled organisation

It's that demonisation and othering that shifts the balance and lets the government assassinate its own citizens outside of the legal system, and lets David Cameron actually stand up in parliament and say it was done to prevent hypothetical future crimes, saying it proudly because he knows people will just accept it. Meanwhile IS gains support because not only is the UK treating Muslims as the enemy within, now we're proudly killing Muslims to prevent their inevitable future acts of terrorism.

That drone strike and the justification that followed it were unprecedented, it's a serious shift in an already ugly and problematic approach to the issue of radicalisation - a thing that's fueled by our actions and treatment of those at-risk groups. But hey we killed two bad guys. I'm sure it was worth it, David Cameron says so

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I think we're in for some revelations about what a scone is here

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Renaissance Robot posted:

How could you not post the subtitle?

That is EXACTLY what they're for you unbelievable sack of poo poo.

He said 'you will work to get out of poverty' and that tax credits are 'a bribe'. I bet he dreams of running a Victorian workhouse every night

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

I would say "Arbeit macht frei" but it's not really witty satire because it's literally what he's saying.

Yeah it really is. It's not even 'we'll make sure there are jobs so everyone has the opportunity to work', he's outright declaring war on the welfare system and the people who rely on it to live.

The other thing I heard him saying (before I couldn't take any more) was that child tax credits are a 'bribe' because so many families with children qualify for them. You might think this has something to do with families' income levels and the amount of inequality in the country - luckily the Tories are planning to eliminate the relative poverty measure, based on the median income, because they don't like how relative poverty goes up when there's growth that leaves poorer people behind

This whole thing is like a meeting of the top supervillains to join forces on a nefarious plan to destroy the world (except boring as hell, because at least supervillains have the decency to acknowledge how evil and extreme they're being -IDS sounded like he was talking about cutting back on office supplies)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

serious gaylord posted:

Didn't one of them try it for a TV show?

There's been a bunch of TV shows where someone does what should be the real definition of 'benefits tourism', spending a day or a week slumming it and then going back to their nice life instead of having to face that reality stretching out ahead of them

The trouble is it's not even about whether they understand or care about what it's like, if they were lording it up at their golden goblet and pig's head banquets but genuinely had a plan to help people and increase opportunities and get people into real work, that would be great. But it's purely punitive, 'if you cut them work will come' wishful thinking with zero substance and real consequences for the people it will hit. And they basically get a pass because people buy the "make people do an honest day's work" narrative

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Loving that strong, effective government

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

JFairfax posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_JDQinNE8w

skip to 58 seconds for the comedy gold

Radio 4 is some powerful poo poo

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

XMNN posted:

So what does everyone think about the billion pound NHS overspend, probably definitely all down to bastard mismanaging bureaucrats and not chronic underfunding and related issues, right?

Proceeding as planned

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Silly Hyena posted:

The issue is also that straight-up advocating it as a joke is exactly the same as straight-up advocating it, so it's impossible to tell whether it was a deadpan joke with no punchline or an unironic statement with a flimsy "just a joke" justification because he chickened out. Same with Bowie and his Nazi apologism, who's gonna defend it if there's no way to know if he's serious or not (unless they share his beliefs obviously).

The "it's just banter" defense happens in this thread too on occasion.

If you're roleplaying a rapist it depends on what you're doing - if the intent is to shock the audience and make them uncomfortable with the words and attitudes you're confronting them with, that's one thing. If it's 'just a laugh' and 'that one harmless mate who takes it a bit too far' then you're not challenging anything, you're just normalising it. It's not about whether you believe it or not, it's about the harm you do and if you're actively contributing to a very real problem

I dunno what 'just bants' stuff you're talking about, but there's punching upwards and there's punching downwards, and making sexual assault against women more acceptable when it's already a massive problem is very different from, say, joking about killing the rich (who are in no danger whatsoever as a group)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

lmaoboy1998 posted:

When a comic uses racial slurs to create an unsympathetic racist character who he very obviously dislikes and is making fun of, and everyone in the audience understands what is happening, I don't see how you can describe what he's doing as negative. Deconstructing regressive attitudes with comedy is a Good Thing and its quite hard to make fun of anything effectively if you can't use its language.

e.g. Boyle's 'Department of friend of the family bombing' joke, arguing that it normalises racism when it's clearly making fun of horrible English attitudes and one of the most racist institutions in history seems willfully dense. I can see the logic to some of the arguments against using slurs in comedy, but a lot of the people who rail against it online seem to be spectrumers attempting to pass off their tendency to take everything literally as some kind of virtue.

I don't know what bit you're talking about, but that sounds like using a slur that already carries a lot of negative power in society to paint someone with that association. Attacking certain attitudes by basically going 'this is what they're really saying', and relying on the slur to do the heavy hitting. So it's not attacking the slur itself, it's using the slur to attack another worthy target - but using that slur does normalise it. If everyone did it, the joke would lose its impact because it wouldn't be taboo anymore

That works for people reclaiming a word, but it's also a way for slurs to be 'ok to say' - which they were before society changed enough for them to become taboo. So you have to be careful you're not rolling back that progress and making it ok for shitheads to openly be shitheads

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

On the other hand the only reason that would work is if people are trying to get around the taboo on use of words by making up new euphemisms for the same ideas.

Which is insidious and calling it back to the things we understand to be abhorrent is more productive than allowing it to go unchecked.

Well yeah, that's what I was saying. You attack their attitudes by drawing a direct comparison with using the slur, and let the negative association with that do the work. But it only works while that taboo is still strong, and if popular comedians start throwing it around a lot (even if it's for good reason) it starts to lose its impact. The badness of the attitudes hasn't changed, but the social cost of using the slurs has

Don't forget this discussion started because of a guy making jokes about drugging women so he can rape them, and it's not even shock value humour anymore. Just banter, 'haha surprise sex' and all that. The more casually people refer to these things, the less people take them seriously, and that has consequences in society as a whole

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

thespaceinvader posted:

Are the Tories just relying on shrinking turnout and gerrymandering to win the next election? Because they seem now to be loving over EVERYONE, not just the people who don't vote for them.

There's nothing new about loving over public sector workers, especially on pensions

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Neurolimal posted:

I still cant believe that the tories literally offeres up, silver platter, protecting tuition, and Nick Clegg/Libdem said "nah, we good".

I wonder if there's a day where they aren't kicking themselves over publically displaying their true colors.

Not to defend :clegg: or anything but I have strong doubts about Gideon offering anything* up on a silver platter, no strings attached

*I can think of a couple of things if they're on a literal silver platter

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

XMNN posted:

Is that a coke joke or a pig joke?

Coke, pig and joke, pick two!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There were strings attached, the strings were "We're going to blame you for everything unpopular with our base (to our base) or with the population at large (to the population at large) for the next 5 years". Which they did anyway.

Well yeah, so they're not really strings attached to the offer - if Clegg turned down a tuition fee freeze it'll have been to gain something else, even if he secretly wanted them to go up anyway. It's just basic horse trading

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something to do with electoral reform, the referendum was a pretty big campaign pledge the lib dems actually managed to achieve

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 10, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's very difficult to change peoples minds through debating with them, because they have a psychological need to win irrespective of being right. eg. More republicans thought there were WMDs in Iraq after there were categorically found not to be than before when there was some room for doubt.

Yeah, this is also why bullshit stories are such an easy sell - people want to have a position on things, but detail is hard and experts will always know more than you. So when someone comes out with an alternative line that's based on 'common sense' people can latch onto it easily, and never be beaten by experts because they have their own simple narrative they can argue. And then they'll argue it any time the subject comes up, because now they're invested in the lie

See: the national credit card, climate change denial etc

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Gonzo McFee posted:

The Babby men are mad at Jezza Corbae for not bending the knee to her Lizardfullenss.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...uncil-snub.html

Queen Liz is second after Pointsofdata

This whole thing is stupid as gently caress and I'm sure kapparomeo will be happy to tell us why the Queen's special treehouse club is actually Very Serious And Important

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Angepain posted:

It is very important that you stand in front of a chair and perform a ceremony before being briefed on Syria, also this ceremony can only happen at a specific time each month, I mean anything else would just be silly.

To be fair the reptilians do have a problem with Xenu's galactic spies infiltrating and replacing politicians with pod people, gotta scan them every month to make sure

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Renfield posted:

Tom Watson isn't backing down:

Tom Watson posted:

Mr Speaker, I understand that honourable and right honourable members feel aggrieved that Leon Brittan was interviewed by the police and that they are angry with my use of language. But I’m sure that they would also agree that when anyone is accused of multiple sexual crimes by numerous, completely unrelated sources, the police have a duty to investigate, no matter who it is.

My letter was prompted by concern that procedures were not followed. It is not for me to judge the validity of these claims, but I believe that I was right to demand that guidelines were adhered to.

I also believe that very many victims in this country have been too terrified to speak out for too long. And it is not all over just because a few famous people have gone to prison. And it has not all got out of hand just because people in high places are scared.

The survivors of child abuse have been belittled and ridiculed for too long. That’s the real scandal here.

Earlier the prime minister said that I should examine my conscience. Well I think we all need to examine our consciences in this House. We presided over a state of affairs where children have been abused, and then ignored, dismissed and then distained. If anyone deserves an apology, it’s them.

Fixed for the evening news coverage, which introduced it as "Tom Watson could have apologised, but as you're about to hear, he didn't"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

whooooaaaaaaaa

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

So now Labour isn't voting for the Kill Deficit And Run Surplus bill after all. Gideon has this to say

quote:

“Labour’s economic policy has lurched from chaos to incredibility. Two weeks ago, ‎they said they were going to vote for a surplus – now we know they want to keep on borrowing forever. That would be a grave threat to the economic security of working people‎.‎”

I don't think we even need comedians chanting the 'threat to security' mantra, by the election they'll have run it into the ground themselves

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Is this the best piece of spin ever?

Pretty sure he said the exact same thing when it happened a couple of months ago. Economic thing happened? It's good! Plan working!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Debt represented by a fat line of coke

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

PlantHead posted:

This is true and is the same poo poo sandwich that the country had to eat under Labour, don't blame Osbourne for this, when there is plenty of other stuff you can blame him for.
The debt will always rise, it is the deficit that is being reduced. Effectively we are borrowing all the time, all the current Gov. is trying to do is reduce the amount of borrowing.
The country is basically hosed financially and I blame Blair for being a huge cock sucker with no thought for long term planning.

I'm gonna blame Osborne for it, tyvm!

Blair was poo poo and condemned the NHS etc to lots of nice hefty loan repayments with PFI, but the real deficit increase happened after he'd done one, in 2008 for obvious reasons. That meant a bunch of debt began to pile on as Labour tried to get things under control and automatic stabilisers kicked in. Before then things were pretty much stable

So fast forward to 2010 and you have the Tories sharpening the axe and saying we'll be having no more of this. Well, if he wanted to, he could have slashed the deficit back to pre-2008 by cutting back on public spending, cutting stabilisers like welfare, reversing all the things which made it rise in the first place - after all, crisis over, right?

Except no, he couldn't, that deficit exists for an actual reason, removing all that stuff would tank the country (which is what the rise in deficit spending tries to avoid). His government needs it, which is exactly why the deficit has barely moved and the debt continues to rise under his watch. But they don't want the plebs to know that, so they take the opportunity to wring their hands about the deficit and how it's so terrible and bad bad Labour, and use it as an excuse to make (often financially counterproductive) changes to the public sector, the welfare state, selling off valuable assets for gently caress all, the usual Tory stuff

And as well as exploiting the deficit for political gain and justifying their glorious austerity crusade, that austerity programme is actively harming the economy - meaning the deficit will need to remain higher even longer, and the national debt will continue to grow faster than necessary. Which is why Osborne's been repeatedly failing to meet his own targets, turns out when you gently caress up managing the economy it doesn't magically improve, no matter how often you say it on TV

I mean you can say it's not his fault he's an idiot who has no idea what the gently caress he's doing, I'm open to that

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

So the tories have decided the free market can do one when it inconveniences them like when they demoralise NHS staff so they leave substantive posts and have decided to introduce a cap on agency pay
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/clampdown-on-nhs-staffing-agency-costs

This is going to be an utter catastrophe. The governments gambit is that those filling the locum posts will take up substantive posts but from a doctors point of view the ones who are filling these shifts by and large already have a full time job somewhere else. High quality candidates doing full time locum work for any length of time are pretty rare, lots of the agency staff I've come across would not be able to get into a training program because they are loving poo poo. These shifts simply won't get filled (and we're coming up to winter) as £28/hr is simply not worth it for me

Isn't the whole reason locum work is so highly paid down to basic desperation in finding qualified people to fill in? And the whole reason it's needed in the first place because of staffing problems? So instead of fixing the underlying problem, they're preventing the NHS from finding any solution at all?

It's almost like they're trying to force a crisis or something :wotwot:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Kids today are too busy with their beep boop machines, they don't have time to "roll up a reefer" man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That's all very well but

• Locked thread