Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

I like Interface Zero personally. It doesn't have trolls or magic, but you can port those in from another Savage Worlds setting, probably.

Haven't played anything in Savage Worlds yet. Would this be a decent option for trying to run a fairly gritty/dark cyberpunk game that would run well over IRC sessions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zerilan posted:

Haven't played anything in Savage Worlds yet. Would this be a decent option for trying to run a fairly gritty/dark cyberpunk game that would run well over IRC sessions?

Maybe? "Dark and gritty" aren't really the first words that come to mind when I look back over my Savage Worlds games but it depends on what you're after I guess. The big thing that stood out to me is that combat has a tendency to devolve into "stunlock battles" which can, depending on the way things swing, be kind of unexciting. Between exploding dice rolls, the wild die, and bennies the game doesn't really come across as particularly hardscrabble or desperate, the sort of grit where an errant stray bullet could end your life at any time isn't really an intrinsic part of the game. Otherwise it's a fairly basic "roll a dX against a TN to Do A Thing" game the sort of which you've probably seen plenty of times before, nothing about it is especially awful but having played a half dozen little campaigns with it I can't really think of anything it does especially well. If you're fine with the dark and gritty side of things being more descriptive than outright supported by the system itself then it'll work fine.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

dark and gritty side of things... supported by the system itself then it'll work fine.

Are there systems that support this well that aren't like, SR level of crunchiness, or just being "piles of dead characters with every poor die roll" meatgrinders?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zerilan posted:

Are there systems that support this well that aren't like, SR level of crunchiness, or just being "piles of dead characters with every poor die roll" meatgrinders?

That's a good question. From actual play experience I remember Unknown Armies being gritty in the sense that getting shot at was always considered a Big Deal due to the way that gun damage accumulated very quickly and the conceit of players not being told outright "you get shot for 22 damage" until the present moment of violence is past and everyone has room for a breather, it's "you get shot and it really loving hurts and you're bleeding everywhere, you aren't down for the count yet but getting shot like that again might just do it." The moment that guns (and some spells) start coming out is the moment that everyone without their own hosed-up magic tricks or a certain propensity towards violence start taking cover or finding somewhere else to be. It's also one of the few games I'm aware of that tracks things like "how inured to violence you are" or "is your sense of self starting to crack under the strain of the horrible things you're doing to yourself in pursuit of power?" which seem like very appropriate things to track in a hypothetical cyberpunk game.

On the other hand, the core system is no more interesting than "roll d100 under your skill," so it's not really the most exciting game in the world on a mechanical level, and if for some reason you decided to go with it anyway you'd need to homebrew all your cyberwhatsits from scratch.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

IZ 2.0 encourages the Gritty Damage setting rule (which forces you to roll on the Injury Table for most wounds, rather than after you're taken out of the fight), which has to count for something.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, it occurred to me that Interface Zero might bring some rules hacks to the table that change things up, I'm just not familiar with it so I couldn't say.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Doc Hawkins posted:

The longer it takes to stat out opposition in a given system, the more incentive it gives to railroad the players.

IMO you can be as crunchy as you like, as long as the GM can respond quickly and incrementally to the impulses of the table.

This is what I was going for with Strike! A game where I can improvise while still getting tactical combats, and where I can whip up a combat at any level in a couple of minutes with no hassle and without it being just filler.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It has the rules there because if your party is in The Death Star they are in the heart of the Empire's power ans yea, they have exactly 10k TIEs ready to scramble to gently caress you up, which makes not only a good reference for 'you guys probably can't handle a Death Star run' but also makes for a really badass game where your party is fleeing thousands of TIEs after hacking a command console that, while not having the critical info like 'yo don't let anyone shoot down this one hole for some reason it kills us all?', was still important troop movement and thus highly protected because why wouldn't it be?

Oh man, that scene where 10,000 TIE fighters get scrambled to fend off those small little X-Wing groups? Remember that? That was amazing for 1978.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Oh man, that scene where 10,000 TIE fighters get scrambled to fend off those small little X-Wing groups? Remember that? That was amazing for 1978.

I thought Tarkin refused to scramble the Deathstar's fighters, because Hubris. The only TIEs that launched were Vader's personal squadron?

Also, preemptive :rip: October thread.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Don't know what movie you're talking about, shotgunbadger was discussing Star Wars (1977)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Effectronica posted:

Don't know what movie you're talking about, shotgunbadger was discussing Star Wars (1977)

Not the Christmas Special? Alright, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Neeeeew thread!

• Locked thread