Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Could anyone recommend me war gamey RPGs? Specifically games where positioning and terrain are very important. The two that came to mind right away were D&D 4th edition and Iron Kingdoms, but I was wondering if there were others I was overlooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

How feasible is it to run a horror game like CoC or Trail by the seat of your pants, with little or no preparation?

Silent Legions by Sine Nomine is designed for exactly this. It is also really drat good.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Horror is an hard atmosphere to create and mantain, so I personally would not risk it.

:agreed: I consider horror stories to be similar to mysteries. It is very difficult to just wing it, you need some sort of structure or have memorized several existing plots to improvise.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am considering giving TG podcasts a try. Where should I start?

We have a thread! :toot: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743698

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 8, 2015

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Terrible Opinions posted:

Could anyone recommend me war gamey RPGs? Specifically games where positioning and terrain are very important. The two that came to mind right away were D&D 4th edition and Iron Kingdoms, but I was wondering if there were others I was overlooking.

Strike! and 13th Age are two more modern variants on D&D 4e if you would rather have more elegant and modern mechanics over tonnes of options.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tonnes of options is actually preferred.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

Strike! and 13th Age are two more modern variants on D&D 4e if you would rather have more elegant and modern mechanics over tonnes of options.

"Hey i'm looking for that thing that 13'th age explicitly doesn't do"

"well have you tried 13'th age it's soo elegant and modern!"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

gradenko_2000 posted:

How feasible is it to run a horror game like CoC or Trail by the seat of your pants, with little or no preparation?

Trail of Cthulhu also had a Free RPG Day adventure you can run. If you have money to throw at your dilemma, Mythos Expeditions also has some adventures that would work well as one-shots.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Strike RPG takes its tactical combat cues from 4e and XCOM Enemy Unknown, but yeah 13th Age technically doesn't fall into the "positioning and terrain" are very important.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Silent Legions by Sine Nomine is designed for exactly this. It is also really drat good.

I own this! I should brush up on it.

And thank you also for the suggestion ARB

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah, we stopped playing 4E D&D for 13th Age specifically to get to a faster-paced, less tactical d20 game, so I can't recommend it for that purpose.

And I've been reading Strike! and I can say that everything 4E does, it does better and with lower numbers. Getting ready to start running a game of it, so I'll reserve final judgment until then but I feel like it will scratch that tactical combat itch that 4E fulfilled.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Terrible Opinions posted:

Both Fantasycraft and Spycraft are derived from 3E D&D though improved upon in my opinion, and therefore strongly encourage play on a gridmap. Both are also dense, crunchy games full of options if that's what you're after, but beyond the maps and minis aspects I don't know that they're "tactical" in the same way 4E is with its emphasis on movement, creating zones, and so on, but they do exist as an option if you're interested.

Other than that, RPGs with robust tactical combat don't seem to be a thing many publishers are putting out lately. I know that if you go back a bit the old Heavy Gear RPG by Dream Pod 9 used hexmaps and rules derived in part from the actual miniatures game for robot battles, but I also remember it having some inelegant bits here and there (the Silhouette system was very much an "Agility is the god-stat" sort of game, for example).

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Infinity: The Sci-fi Tits'n'rear end Miniature Game got an RPG adaptation recently, I think you can download the beta off Drivethru. I have no idea how well it does tactics, but the minis game is apparently pretty good. :shrug:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Serf posted:

Yeah, we stopped playing 4E D&D for 13th Age specifically to get to a faster-paced, less tactical d20 game, so I can't recommend it for that purpose.

And I've been reading Strike! and I can say that everything 4E does, it does better and with lower numbers. Getting ready to start running a game of it, so I'll reserve final judgment until then but I feel like it will scratch that tactical combat itch that 4E fulfilled.

Huh. I better take a look at Strike! then. Keep us informed on how it ran for you.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Didn't there used to be an online game thread? As usual one week into running a hopeful campaign everyone has real life stuff come up/schedules got changed. I'm never going to be able to play these games anymore unless it's online.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Huh. I better take a look at Strike! then.

There has never been a better time! The PDF is now out on DrivethruRPG, and I'm hoping to get the print version sorted out this weekend as long as I can find time around all my family stuff (it's Thanksgiving up here).

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Huh. I better take a look at Strike! then. Keep us informed on how it ran for you.

Strike! Is a really clever system.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

A chat thread of three back weren't people kicking idea around for a Cthulhu mythos hack of Lasers & Feelings that used sanity and arcane knowledge as the two opposing stats? That might make a good halloween game. The world needs more Lasers & Feelings hacks.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Heavy Lobster posted:

Scary October gaming experience of mine: I haven't GMed in years because I could never get a group together, and in a system I've never actually run to any real extent!

It's only FATE, and the first session was mostly freeform with the occasional "let's see if this NPC takes mental stress from how blunt you are" roll, but I really don't know what numbers I should be throwing at my players for larger conflicts. The game is tomorrow, so here's hoping it works fine!

This worked out fine! I had set up a more action-y setpiece for the players but they didn't even get to it because they got really into chatting up the supporting NPCs I introduced beforehand. I think I worked out the main problem of not interacting with aspects often in that I realized we didn't make great aspects for the characters. We did the "write little stories about your characters and have the others involved in them" method of aspect generation, and while it was fun to co-create a bunch of backstory, the aspects themselves ended up more being summaries of the mini-adventures than anything that's actually worth compelling or invoking.

I think for future games it will be much easier to make up aspects on the fly, like we're doing with skill distribution. It's easy to say you want your character to be one thing, but once they start interacting with others they can fall into something entirely different from what you were hoping, so overthinking it in the beginning really put the brakes on things at the beginning.

Terrible October scaresperience, though.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A chat thread of three back weren't people kicking idea around for a Cthulhu mythos hack of Lasers & Feelings that used sanity and arcane knowledge as the two opposing stats? That might make a good halloween game. The world needs more Lasers & Feelings hacks.

That was mine, yeah. There was a bit of followup on it in the thread. Basically, the two stats are Sanity and Sorcery. Sanity is for the mundane stuff, Sorcery is for interacting with the Cthulhu mythos. The catch was that directly confronting Mythos monsters and actually reading books would bump your Sorcery up, and once it reached 6 your character would become unplayable.

That's pretty much as far as it went. I don't have any of the skills necessary for layout or editing, so if anyone else wants to pick this up, feel free to do so.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
okay people sell me on Spirit of 77, contemplating getting it and it's supplements cause it looks really neat, but I've already spent a decent amount of money on RPG stuff this month, so I want to be certain of it before I go ahead and spend 30 bucks on getting all that

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Ratpick posted:

That was mine, yeah. There was a bit of followup on it in the thread. Basically, the two stats are Sanity and Sorcery. Sanity is for the mundane stuff, Sorcery is for interacting with the Cthulhu mythos. The catch was that directly confronting Mythos monsters and actually reading books would bump your Sorcery up, and once it reached 6 your character would become unplayable.

That's pretty much as far as it went. I don't have any of the skills necessary for layout or editing, so if anyone else wants to pick this up, feel free to do so.

Based on what everyone put together in that thread, I kinda went a bit nuts.

Sanity & Sorcery (alternate link for non-Dropbox)

How's that look?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That looks great! Thanks for putting it together.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I think there should be some social campaign to restore the good name of Lawful Good characters.

I mean, why does it always have to be rear end in a top hat paladins and not just sane people who go "what the gently caress dude, presumption of innocence" and poo poo?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I mean, Chaotic Good side of the alignment spectrum could also be renamed "Racist Murderhobo", because the "goodness" means one only genocides orks, because they are "born evil" anyway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A big part of it is that goddamned D&D alignment system leaving a trail of misinterpretations a mile wide.

You play a Lawful Good character and it's like "well you have to obey the law 100%" whenever you want to break the law in order to save an innocent, and when you want to stick to the letter of the law you get hit back with "why didn't you save that dude?"

And especially when the only people you're authorized to protect are the ones that are in your same alignment spectrum.

This is exacerbated by the role model of the Lawful Good Paladin being Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, when those guys were decidedly not good people.

Lawful Good should be people like Joan of Arc or Sean Connery's character from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or the Archangel Michael or even the Spartans from 300.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is exacerbated by the role model of the Lawful Good Paladin being Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, when those guys were decidedly not good people.

This is p. funny though, because those guys were about a million times more interesting and less doctrinaire than their D&D offspring. It's like nobody gets that trying to be a good guy makes for a hell of a better story than being a good guy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lichtenstein posted:

It's like nobody gets that trying to be a good guy makes for a hell of a better story than being a good guy.

I agree.

I think people have a tendency to take the roleplaying descriptor a bit too literally without giving enough regard to "what would be more entertaining for everyone?"

If you're good, and the party is about to do something ethically ambiguous if not outright bad, it's "roleplaying" to sit yourself out because you're good. It's more entertaining for everyone (to say nothing of allowing you to retain the 4-player party gameplay structure) to grudgingly go along with it and be anguished over your choice afterwards.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I kind of have an urge recently to play a character who acknowledges that robbing corpses is hosed up and, past the initial fiery argument over the matter, politely pretends to look the other way (by "polite" I mean expressing his obvious disgust only by short glances) and then stubbornly stays to offer his opponents at least a symbolic burial.

I wonder how many players I could eventually shame into helping with the shovel.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Btw, it's really sad that in D&D basic human decency is a gimmick.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"It's basic human decency," he says, doing irreversible damage to a scavenger-based ecosystem.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Villager: Displacer beasts are attacking the town! But why? They're scavengers... they must be starving!

So-called "hero:" I'll solve your problem... for a price. Heh heh.

Serf
May 5, 2011

See now I want to run a game about humanely capturing "rampaging" monsters and reintroducing them to a new environment.

Of course the one time this happened in an actual game the players ended up introducing an invasive species and set off an ecological disaster.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

Btw, it's really sad that in D&D basic human decency is a gimmick.

The alternative at the time was the Rift's alignment system :stonk:

Jimbozig posted:

There has never been a better time! The PDF is now out on DrivethruRPG, and I'm hoping to get the print version sorted out this weekend as long as I can find time around all my family stuff (it's Thanksgiving up here).

If you are one of the writers of Strike! cool and also cheers! :toot:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I had a bunch of random Bloodborne thoughts.

I don't know anything about the Lasers & Feelings system, but the first thing I thought of when I read your post was Bloodborn and how some of the lore suggests how the Insight works in the world.

The two poles for a Bloodborne character could be Insight (high "madness"/low sanity/ability to do "magic") and Beasthood (low "madness"/low sanity/no "magic").

A normal human (and arguably the "best" place to be) would be on the middle of this continuum; balanced between Insight and Beasthood.

Bloodborne characters start with an Insight of zero. During gameplay Insight can be gained by consuming a Madman's Knowledge/Great One's Wisdom item, encountering a boss (A being associated with the Eldritch Truth), defeating a boss, opening up/discovering a new gameplay area (Eldritch location), discovering the truth about some NPC, being witness to an unnatural event, or killing another hunter associated with the Hunter's Dream (PvP).

As Insight increases, the player begins to observe hidden things (a doll comes to life, invisible creatures become visible), some monsters become more dangerous, and the player begins to have audio and visual hallucinations/visions that are relevant to the plot. This suggests as Insight increases the Bloodborn character is beginning to uncover the Eldritch Truth, go mad, or both.

The gameplay benefit to having Insight is access to a shop where the Bloodborne character can buy weapons, armor and items he has unlocked, by spending Insight as currency. Insight is also spent to call another player into the gameworld for Coop mode.

The downside to Insight is that each point reduces your resistance to Frenzy, and reduces the Beasthood stat.

This indicates that Insight is antithetical to Beasthood.

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Insight

Frenzy in Bloodborne:

Extremely alien and unnatural creatures in Bloodborne induce Frenzy.

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Frenzy

In a tabletop Lasers and Feelings Bloodborne hack, we could interpret Frenzy as the physical damage a high Insight/madness stat does to the body.

In game, Sedatives can reduce Frenzy at the cost of Insight. The above description also states "Blood serves to calm the frayed nerves" and "Naturally this leads to a reliance on Blood Ministration".

So on the other end of the spectrum, a character with a high Beasthood stat would behave like a beast, being faster and stronger than a character at the middle of the Insight/Beasthood spectrum, and craving blood to the point where they are feral.

The lore and plot suggests that individuals with high Insight have the ability to call/influence/transcend the Great Ones as well as possibly having greater facility with magic.

As far as I know there is no gameplay mechanic where a high Insight increases the amount of Arcane damage a Bloodborne character does; but in a tabletop hack, you could require certain thresholds of Insight for learning spells or simply make the roll to cast a spell additive with a character's Insight score to indicate higher Insight translates to greater facility with magic.

The thing I'm unsure of is how would you incorporate a shop where a character can spend Insight into this tabletop hack? Would you incorporate it at all? What would the justification be?

In terms of Beasthood, the gameplay mechanic is described as follows:

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Beasthood

So perhaps the benefit of a high Beasthood stat would be transforming into a werewolf(beast), berserker rage, increased damage, feral senses (increased observation) to stalk prey or the like.

Increasing Beasthood/reducing Insight in the tabletop hack could be governed by overindulgence in blood, imbibing a potent beast's blood, or relentless killing perhaps.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 9, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Say no to poaching.

Monster Hunter Hunter

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Serf posted:

See now I want to run a game about humanely capturing "rampaging" monsters and reintroducing them to a new environment.

Of course the one time this happened in an actual game the players ended up introducing an invasive species and set off an ecological disaster.

Play Mouse Guard.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm slightly interested in Mutant Chronicles 3rd edition. Can anyone tell me anything about it other than it is a Warhammer 40k ripoff?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I don't know about the edition differences. Mutant Chronicles really is a less detailed 40k ripoff. It's focused on the solar system, has meagacorps sort of like Shadowrun, and one of the megacorps (Cybertron) might actually be a front for the Chaos Gods Dark Symmetry.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

Say no to poaching.

Monster Hunter Hunter

I still wish there was a Monster Hunter RPG or supplement for another game or something.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Why the hell should I empathize with imaginary animals that eat people in first place?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Why the hell should I empathize with imaginary animals that eat people in first place?

Please don't furshame itt.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

DigitalRaven posted:

Based on what everyone put together in that thread, I kinda went a bit nuts.

Sanity & Sorcery (alternate link for non-Dropbox)

How's that look?

This is really great! Thanks for making this, now that it's put together in a neat format I might run it for Halloween!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I'm from Buenos Aires and I say kill em all!

• Locked thread